Mistake

Subtle Love

 

                Chanyeol shouldn’t be this nervous. This isn’t the first time he played his guitar for a live radio audience so why is he freaking out now? EXO had just turned up for Boom’s Youngstreet and Chanyeol and Baekhyun were supposed to perform together. It wasn’t anything new and as a matter of fact they have practiced for days already, but Chanyeol can still feel the sweat dripping down his neck and his fingers trembling as they entered the studio.

                Baekhyun on the other hand seems just fine. No sweating, no shaking, he just seemed like his jolly usual self. One of the many reasons why Chanyeol wished he was Baekhyun sometimes.

                By the time they started performing, Chanyeol had taken 1000 deep breaths and his heart felt like it was gonna jump out of his chest. At first, everything was smooth and easy and pluck! He picked the wrong string. He could feel his heart lurch and his stomach curling. He focused his eyes on the guitar and tried to tie his clumsy fingers together with his brain. He could feel Baekhyun’s stare on him and he even heard someone snicker. Oh god, please don’t let me screw this up...

                He somehow managed to get it all together and continue the song. Even with headphones on, he could hear his Baekkie’s beautiful falsetto voice ring through the studio. He finished the song on a good note and he smiled inwardly. Thank god it’s over...

                The rest of the interview proceeded as usual, with Chanyeol being his usual goofy self, but he still couldn’t shake off that naggy feeling about his mistake with the guitar. He wondered how the fans would react and what the managers would say, but most importantly, what was Baekhyun going to say?

                The radio show was the last schedule for the day. As EXO piled up into their van and headed back home, Baekhyun took his spot next to Chanyeol and patted his lover’s hand. “You did so well tonight.”

                “You did great too Baekkie.” Chanyeol smiled. Baekhyun let out a little yawn before leaning his head against Chanyeol’s chest, the weariness of the day’s activities creeping up on him.

                The boys arrived home, showered, ate a little supper and dressed up for bed. As Chanyeol was just about to fall asleep, he felt the right side of his bed dip down and a cold hand reached out to touch his back.

                “Baekhyun?” he whispered.

                “Yep, it’s me.” Chanyeol turned to face Baekhyun and wrapped the smaller boy in his arms. Baekhyun rubbed his lover’s upper body to comfort him. “You seem really tense today. During the radio show.”

                “Was it obvious?”

                “Yeah, it kinda was.”

                Chanyeol sighed. “Sorry about that. I guess it’s been a long time since I performed with the guitar.”

                “But I thought we practiced enough. You were great during all our practices.”

                “I know but...well...” Chanyeol paused for a while. “I guess I was just worried I’d mess up and spoil your performance. I know how much this meant to you.”

                It all began to make sense. There’s only one person that could make Chanyeol nervous and that’s Baekhyun. Anything involving him and Baekkie alone made him nervous. He didn’t want to disappoint his boyfriend and he didn’t want to ruin something Baekhyun had spent hours rehearsing and carefully planning on. He wanted the best for him, and was determined to give his all, but in turn this brought on all the excess worry and stress, making him nervous.

                “Thanks Chanyeol, for even doing this with me.” Baekhyun said, snuggling closer to Chanyeol’s upper body. It is summer time and all of EXO just decided they could do without a shirt while sleeping. “Most people would have lost patience with me, but you stuck through it.”

                “Not everyone can handle your diva attitude, but that’s one of the many reasons I love you.” Chanyeol kissed Baekhyun’s forehead. “You seem to have toned it down quite a bit though.”

                “Well, that’s only because I thought you hated it. I know most people are annoyed with it.”

                “Oh no, that’s what makes you Byun Baekhyun.” Chanyeol comforted. “I would love you even if you were old, bald and grumpy.”

                “Even if I had to wear diapers and need to be fed by hand?”

                “We’re gonna grow old together, so whatever you have, I’ll have too. We’ll let our grandkids worry about that.” He grinned and Baekhyun giggled.

                “I’m just sorry we couldn’t show off as much skinship as we used too. With you being preoccupied with Tao and Chen and me with Kris...”

                “It’s fine.” Baekhyun waved it off. Sure, the Baekyeol couple had to cool their skinshippy romance in front of the cameras, but backstage and off camera, they are still as close and sickeningly sweet as ever. Tonight was no exception.

                “I love you Chanyeol.”

                “I love you too Baekkie. Forever and always.”

                “God damn it, it is midnight and I don’t need to hear this kind of mushy crap.” Xiumin, their roommate growled at them.

                “Yeah. I’m gonna look for Kris ge-ge.” Tao got out of bed and grabbed his panda plushie.

                “And I’m gonna go look for Jongdae. Time to kick Suho out of his room.” Xiumin kicked off his sheets and threw a small pillow at the Baekyeol couple. “Continue your love declaration for each other without me.”

                Chanyeol and Baekhyun sniggered. At least they have the room all to themselves now.