Chapter 2

Love On The Court [On Hiatus]

 

I was breathing hard from my performance; I had put so much into my freestyle, but I wasn’t sure if I was good enough. They have awesome poker faces. Holy crap.
“Alright, here’s what we think,” The first judge finally looked up from his clipboard.
“You’re good,” The second judge smiled at me, relieving a little tension, “But not good enough.”
“You’re also very appealing. You seem like the kind of girl to always smile. And you seem like a hard worker,” The third judge adjusted his glasses, “So, we’re going to let you train here for 3 months. If you’re up to par with our standards, then you can stay. If not, you’ll have to leave.” I could feel my smile growing.
“I’ll show you the dorms,” The second judge stood up, pulling a set of keys out of her pockets. We headed down the hall, towards the elevator. “Are you excited?”
“Yes, ma’m!” I nodded and looked down at my feet.
“Your parents raised you well,” She pushed the 9th floor button. An awkward silence passed through the small space; I listened to the elevator music, which actually sounded like Katy Perry’s “I Kissed a Girl.” Oh the irony.
“Um, so I was wondering,” I squeaked, “Who am I living by?”
“I thought you might ask that,” The elevator door opened, and she pulled me down the hallway. Doors were open, and people were sitting in the hallway, talking and laughing. It was like the typical college dorms.  She stopped at a door; loud music and laughter emanated from the room. “Hey! Get out here! Now!”
The door opened to reveal a young boy; he was wearing a leopard print hat.
“Yah!” She smacked him with the keys she was holding, “Your music is too loud!”
“S-sorry,” He grinned and scratched the back of his neck.
“These are your neighbors,” She sighed, “If you ever have a problem with them, just come find me.” She handed me the keys she was holding and walked off. I stared at the keys; the tag said ‘Room 903’. Room 903 happened to be right behind me. How lucky. Being right across the hall from some rowdy teenage boys.
“Hey! Maria!” I turned around; Shinwoo stood in the doorway where the other boy was a few minutes ago.
“Oh! Shinwoo!” I smiled, “What’re you doing here..?” He started to laugh.
“You really aren’t from around here!”  I frowned, “I’m in the entertainment business too!”
“Oh, cool,” I nodded to myself and turned around to open my door.
“Hey, wait!” He pulled me back into the hallway before I could go into my dorm, “D-do you wanna hang out?” For a second, I thought he was blushing. I was about to agree, but my stomach rumbled.
“Uh, maybe after I get settled and have dinner,” He nodded and let go of my hand, “But, I will leave my door opened, if you want to come over.” The dorm was already furnished, so I pushed a chair in front of the door. He followed me inside my dorm, helping me explore. I had come to the conclusion that I was living in an apartment, not a dorm. There was even a small upstairs with a low ceiling, which I presumed was my bedroom. Though the couch was really comfy; I could’ve fallen asleep on its fluffiness any day.
“Hey, is this your phone?” Shinwoo held out my vibrating phone.
“Uh yeah,” I took it and pressed the answer button, “Hello?”
“Yah!” Karen yelled, “It’s late! Where are you?!”
“Uh, the new dorm,” I hesitated.
“A new dorm? Where?”
“WM Entertainment,” I paced around in the small living room.
“You’re going to live there?”
“Yeah, I have to train for this job. So it’s best if I’m here. But, you can live here too, if you want.”
“I’ll bring over some stuff!” She squealed and hung up. I sighed in relief and headed to the fridge, completely oblivious to Shinwoo.
“This is awkward,” He laughed. I jumped while I cooked my dinner: scrambled eggs.
“Yeah,” I sighed and smiled, not paying attention to the food on the stove.
“I smell something burning!” A brown haired boy ran into the room and pushed me out of the way of the now burning eggs.
“Jinyoung!” Shinwoo glared at him.
“What? It’s burning,” He pointed at the pan.
“Nothing hot sauce can’t fix,” I grinned; he just stared at me, like I had something on my face.
“Who’re you?” Shinwoo groaned and face-palmed himself.
“Maria,” I held out my hand.
“Jinyoung,” He poked my face with the chopsticks I was cooking with, “You’re a terrible cook, y’know?”
“Yah! Jinyoung!” Shinwoo slammed his hands on the counter.
“I’m actually not that bad, just kinda…” I thought for a second, “Lost in thought.”
“Okay, well,” Jinyoung turned off the stove and handed me the pan, “Try not to be so absent-minded like CNU!”
“CNU?”
“It’s my stage name,” Shinwoo grinned.
“Ah,” I smiled, “Almost like C.N. Blue.”
“Yeah, kinda,” He laughed, “Whatever helps you remember me.”
“You don’t need much; you’re easy to remember. And I mean that in the best way possible.” I blushed.
“Mariaaa!” Karen burst into the room with a suitcase and a guitar, “I brought all of your stuff! My stuff is still in the car!” I nodded, watching as she ran back out of the room and down the hallway.

                After Shinwoo had introduced me to the rest of his crew, called B1A4, they had left, and Karen fell asleep on the couch.
“Hey, how about we make our own telephone, and connect it to our rooms!” Shinwoo and I sat on the floor by the front door.
“Our own telephones?” He nodded, “How the hell are we supposed to make two telephones?” He got up and left my room, coming back a few minutes later with two plastic cups and a really long piece of green yarn.
“See? Then you tie the yarn through the cup!” He poked a hole in the bottom of both cups and attached them with the string.
“Terrific, but how are we supposed to get it to your room without tripping anyone in the hallway?”
“Hrmmm…” We thought together for a few minutes, throwing out random ideas, like pulling up the carpet in the hallway and stringing it to both rooms. Yeah that wasn’t going to work. I finally had a brainstorm, got up, and rummaged through my bags.
“Aha!” I found my roll of bright yellow duct tape. If someone tripped over this, they would’ve had to be blind. We crawled out into the hallway, measured an even amount of yarn between us, and taped some down in the middle of the hallway. We went back into our own rooms and tested our project.
“Hello?” I spoke into the cup and placed it by my ear.
“Yup, I can hear you as clear as crystal!”
“Same over here!” I smiled; it actually worked.
“So what’s up?”
“Not much. I mean, you just left here a few minutes ago. But what about you?”
“Not much here either. But it’s dark.”
“It’s dark here too.”
“Oh! So, I meant to ask you… Can I have your number?” I started to laugh.
“If you were going to ask me for my number, then why’d we make phones?”
“Urm..." He hesitated, "For educational purposes?"
“Hah, alright,” I shrugged and told him my phone number. “But I think we should still use these. They’re pretty nifty!”
“We will! I mean, we put so much effort into them,” I could hear his yawn.
“Shinwoo, go to sleep. You’re gonna need the rest; aren’t you a busy boy?” I snickered.
“You’re gonna be busy tomorrow too! Isn’t it your first day of training?”
“Yeah,” I grinned sheepishly to myself.
“Then we’ll both head to bed.”
“Alright. Nighty night Shinwoo.”
“Good night, Maria.” I set the makeshift phone on the floor, and started up the stairs. Not remembering that the ceiling was a lot lower upstairs, I bumped my head getting into bed. It didn’t matter though, I had a great day today, and great days ahead of me; a bump on the head wasn’t going to ruin anything.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Am I still doing alright..? Comment~ Please~