Chapter 1

Love On The Court [On Hiatus]

 

I meandered through the strange streets, looking for anything that might be the WM Entertainment building. Sadly, I seemed too far away from any big buildings and closer to children’s playgrounds near the park. My feet started to cramp up as I trudged down the paved walkway.
“Ouch!” Something hit me in the back of the head. I turned around to see a basketball at my feet.
“Ah, sorry! Are you okay?” A boy, maybe a few years older than me, ran over. I rubbed my head and picked up the ball.
“Yeah, I’m alright,” I had just realized that no one was playing basketball with him, “Aren’t you a bit lonely?” I pointed to the empty court.
“Oh? Nah,” He grinned sheepishly, “I don’t usually have anyone to play with. My friends are always busy doing… stuff.”
“Well then, you up for a game?” I handed him his basketball.
“Sure,” I dropped my bag over by the sideline of the court.
“Full or half court?”
“Half.”
“Alright. Your ball,” He checked the ball and zoomed right past me, scoring a basket with a lay-up shot.
“Your ball now, girlie.”
“You just got lucky,” I grinned and checked in the ball. I wasn’t sure which way to run, so I just started to run towards the right. Wrong choice. He swatted it out of my hands, and it turned into a race for the loose ball. The ball was in my reach, but before I could grab it and make a run for the basket, his arms s around me and pulled me back. He grabbed the ball and fell on his back, laughing. “Alright, that was just unfair,” I helped him up.
“I thought there weren’t any rules in street ball!”
“Oh yeah?” I flicked him between his eyes and snatched the ball and traveled to the hoop, doing a lay-up, and failing miserably.
“Nice shot,” He grinned.
“Yeah, yeah,” I grumbled, “I’m too short to be playing this game.”

We sat on the sideline closest to the river, watching the sun set.
“It was cool playing ball with you,” The boy smiled, “Oh, by the way, I’m Shinwoo.”
“Shinwoo,” I smiled, “Nice to meet you. I’m Maria.” We shook hands.
“We’ll have to play again one day soon.”
“Yeah…”
“So,” He turned towards me, “You don’t look like you’re from around here.”
“Uh, about that,” I sighed, “I was supposed to be headed to WM Entertainment, but I’ve been wandering around since 10 this morning, looking for that building.”
“WM Entertainment? Why there?”
“I have, well had, an audition for a backup dancer.”
“We can still get there,” He pulled me up, “C’mon.” We ran a few blocks until reaching a busy street. But not busy with cars; It was busy with people.
“This way!” Before I could take in all the excitement of the new environment, I was running again, this time, in the direction of a large building. He pushed me through the revolving doors. The lobby of the building was bright and fancy, like it came out of Princess Diaries or something.
“Well, go on!” He pushed me again, but this time, towards the reception desk.
"Can I help you?” The busy receptionist looked up from her computer.
“Uh, yes,” I fiddled my thumbs around, “I’m here for an audition.”
“Maria?” I nodded, “You’re late. Come this way.” She motioned for me to follow her. I looked at Shinwoo, nervous for the upcoming challenge. He mouthed the words ‘Good Luck’ and went over to the elevator, pushing the up arrow. Did he live in the dorms here? I let the thought go, and continued into a hallway, until the receptionist stopped at a door.
“The judges will be with you shortly. Be ready,” She opened the door for me, but stopped me before I could go in, “And relax. It won’t be too bad.” She smiled and left me to the large, open room. I almost couldn’t believe I had made it so far, and I knew I couldn’t screw up my audition. Thinking happy thoughts, I plopped down in the middle of the floor and started to stretch.