Chapter 3

The future that could never be

Yesung’s p.o.w

 

I woke up with the feeling of floating and opened my eyes a little just to see nothing but darkness. What was happening? I felt a pair of arms around me and I was being carried bridal style against someone’s chest. Now I started to freak out. Who the hell carried me? And where was I being taken? I looked up but couldn’t sort anything out in the black. I knew it wasn’t Changmin or Hangeng because both of them have softer moves and effortless walks when they carry me. I started to move in the arms of the stranger who seemed to be surprised because he tripped on something and fell, but he didn’t drop me.

“Don’t you ever scare me like that again!”

That voice, it was without doubt Jaejoong’s.

“S-sor-ry…” I stammered, “I s-s-sort of… fre-eaked out-t.”

“It’s ok, but Hyukjae would probably murder me if I had dropped you.”

“W-why d-did you c-ca-carry me a-anyw-way?” stop stuttering you fool!

“Because you looked like you had a good sleep,” Jaejoong answered casually, “and because Hyukjae would also kill me if I knew you were sleeping in the armchair and left you down there.”

Again with that selfishness. I hoped I heard wrong the first time, but obviously I didn’t. Didn’t he care about me at all?

“Can you walk by yourself now that you’re awake or are you too tired?” he asked.

I heard the hope in his voice but actually I wanted to be selfish and mean towards him now that he was being so selfish.

“I-I’m too t-tir-red,” I whined stuttering and pouted.

Jaejoong sighed quietly, obviously not for me to detect but I did that anyway, and got back up on his feet with me still in his arms.

“You’re a lot heavier than you look, you know that?”

I just giggled at that, it was because I was completely relaxed in the body to make myself heavier. I wanted him to struggle up the stairs.

“Witch room do you want to go to?”

“Umma’s… I can only stay with them tonight also so I’m taking the opportunity,” I slurred, how come I couldn’t talk properly when I wasn’t stammering for once?

“Aww, how cute. You can’t even talk normally when you’re tired ,” Jaejoong squealed.

Was I tired again? I actually didn’t know. I just know that I got more and more comfortable for every step getting used to Jaejoong’s walk. What? Did I just say comfortable? I actually don’t know about that either. I don’t like Jaejoong, but I don’t hate him either, he’s just the big brother of my best friend. And that’s why I can’t talk to him either.

Without realizing it we had already stopped outside the door to umma’s room and he did the same bravado as Changmin had earlier; knocked on the door without me even feel he moved. These siblings… I think I’m going crazy. And then the door opened by no one else then appa. And his eyes went big when he saw me in Jaejoong’s arms.

“You seem to like being delivered by different people today Yesungie,” he said and then looked at Jaejoong, or at least I think that’s what he did, “how come you carried him here?”

“I found him sleeping on the armchair and figured I should take him here. He woke up but is too tired to walk on his own.”

Hangeng held his arms out and took me from Jaejoong cradling me in his arms.

“Thanks Jaejoong-hyung. My wife would’ve gone crazy if he found that out,” he said and I saw a forced smile on his face as I wrapped my arms around his neck.

“No problems… but next time I think I’m going to get you because he’s too heavy for me to carry.” Jaejoong said with a sheepish grin on his face.

“My baby isn’t fat!” we heard a shout from inside the room.

“I should probably go to my room,” Jaejoong excused himself, “goodnight.”

“Goodnight hyung,” Hangeng nodded and went back inside closing the door with his foot.

I stifled a yawn and buried my face in his chest, nuzzling in to him. I wasn’t tired anymore but it was really comfy.

“Yesungie…” Hangeng started and sat down with me still cradled to his chest, “I know you well enough to see through that act. Why did you make hyung carry you all the way up the stairs when you’re not tired?”

“Because I’m lazy, and I wanted him to be sore in his muscles tomorrow when he wakes up,” I answered truthfully.

“Why?”

“I don’t like him.”

I heard both Appa and Umma laugh with that answer and that made me laugh to.

“So… do you want to sleep in here with us tonight also?” Hyukjae asked.

I nodded, “because tonight is my last night to sleep in here. Leeteuk-ssi said so.”

“Yes, but sometimes you can get permission. Key slept in Jae’s room almost the whole last semester. And Yunho’s boyfriend Minho sleeps in his room almost every night. That will change from now on though.”
“Why is that?” I asked bluntly.

“Changmin’s boyfriend Taemin start this year also with you and he will share the room with Minho. They’re best friends since way back.” Hyukjae answered.

“How come you have all answers I need?” I asked him slightly confused.

“Because I’m your Umma. And now you’re going to bed. I don’t care if you have tomorrow off also but it’s almost midnight and me and Hannie are going to class tomorrow morning,” he said firmly.

I sighed, I really didn’t want to sleep already, pretty sure it wouldn’t work out at all. I won’t be able to get any more sleep tonight. But I actually did as Hyukjae told me and changed to my pajama in their bathroom as they changed in the bedroom. As I walked out I looked at Hyukjae’s baby blue silk pajama with Minnie Mouse on it and then to Hangeng’s blue/black silk pajama bottoms with Mickey Mouse on it. He never wore anything more in bed. And then we had my low class cotton pajama that was a really ugly faded yellow with Wile E. Coyote and Roadrunner on it. But I have to say this: my Appa has the hottest abdominal muscles I’ve ever seen, kekekeke.

“You’re giggling baby, what’s so funny?” Hyukjae asked and I gave him my big eyed look.

“I wasn’t,” I protested.

“You so were, what did you think about?”

I was so not going to answer that question. I couldn’t let Umma know how attractive I actually thought Appa was, because I don’t think he would ever let Hangeng sleep without a t-shirt again if he didn’t stop me from sleeping in their bed. Kekekeke.

“Now you’re giggling again. Let me in on your secret,” Hyukjae pleaded.

“No way!”

I went over to the bed and quickly slipped in under the covers and put myself in the middle of the king sized bed. I saw Hyukjae pout before he switched all the lamps off, except the small one on the bedside table. He usually did so and put it out after I fell asleep, or pretended to sleep just so that he and Hangeng could sleep; they needed the darkness more than I did. Guess I get counted by the children who can’t sleep without a single light.

I heard them whisper good night to each other and that they shared a kiss before they went in under the blanket on each side of me. I had closed my eyes so that they thought I was asleep, otherwise Hangeng wouldn’t get his night kiss from Umma. Hyukjae really is too protective over me when it comes to those things. That’s one of the differences between me and Changmin, he have had his first kiss a couple years ago, more than that I don’t know and not with who it was either. It’s kind of funny because Hyukjae doesn’t know, and I can bet that neither Jaejoong nor Ryeowook does know about this. And I definitely have too much fun about this. Kekekeke.

“Stop giggling! I know you’re not sleeping. Shut up and fall asleep already,” Hyukjae sad with his strict Umma voice.

“Sorry,” I mumbled and turned around so I was lying on my tummy, “but I wasn’t giggling.”

“Shut up and sleep,” Hyukjae said again.

There was absolutely nothing I could do now. I just had to be quiet for a while so that Hyukjae could turn the light of. And so he did twenty minutes later. Two minutes later I heard that they were both fast asleep.

 

When the alarm clock started I was still awake wondering how Changmin’s night had been. I felt Hyukjae stir and then prop himself up on his elbows, I really should stop observing how the weight in the bed shifts when I have nothing to do. I can tell all the movements without even have to open my eyes. Interesting facts? No, total boredom. Kekeke.

“Stop giggling in your sleep,” Hyukjae’s tired voice said.

“Sorry,” I mumbled back, “I’m awake.”

I glanced up on Hyukjae and saw his surprised face.

“Yesterday you didn’t even move when we got up, and today you’re more awake than me. How do you do that?” He wanted to know as he reached over me to shake some life in Hangeng.

I just shrugged. What was I supposed to answer? That I have sleeping problems? That would only result in those brain pokers and I can’t stand them. It’s enough that my teacher in primary school had me go to one after that incident. I wasn’t ready to face another one. They were just so annoying.

As I was deeply in thought I didn’t notice that both Umma and Appa was already up and dressed, ready for their lessons.

“We’re going now baby, don’t do anything stupid like trip in front of Kibum,” Hyukjae said.

I just blinked at him, what was that supposed to mean?

“I’ll explain later, just… be careful,” he said and kissed the top of my head.

Hangeng did the same gesture and then they were gone. What was I supposed to do now? I bet no one else is up now, at least not the first years that doesn’t start classes until tomorrow. Sigh, my life’s boring. I think I’m gonna pay Changmin a visit, if I can remember witch room is his. Maybe he wants to join me for breakfast.

 

With that hope I got out of bed and put my feet in Hyukjae’s slippers and headed out of the room. I didn’t bother to change from my pajama since I saw some other students walk around in theirs yesterday. And I actually remembered witch room Changmin had got and was soon outside his door knocking casually on it. I heard a faint ‘come in’ and opened the door slowly. Changmin was alone in the room laying on his bed; awesome.

“Morning,” I said and went inside, closing the door behind me.

“Morning, couldn’t sleep?” he asked.

I shook my head at him and propped myself up on his bed towards the wall.

“I fell asleep in the armchair yesterday after Umma and Appa drove us out of the room and then I woke up when Jaejoong-ssi carried me.”

“Hyung carried you upstairs?” Changmin asked wide eyed.

I nodded, “out of selfish reasons, and he thinks I’m heavy,” I pouted.

“He’s always selfish and… wait. What did you say?”

“He said to Hangeng that I’m too heavy for him to carry me like that again and that he would get Hangeng to come down pick me up if that happened again.” I said and pouted again.

“He’s weak,” Changmin stated and pulled me in to a hug as he sat up, “you’re way too tiny for your length.”

“As if you should speak about weight,” I muttered to his shoulder, “Skinny Minnie.”

“Yeah right,” Changmin made a stage cough, “was it actually something you wanted from me or did you just want to talk?”

Oh, that’s right. I forgot to ask him about breakfast, oops. Kekekeke.

“Since when did you start giggling?”

“I didn’t giggle!” I protested and drew away from his embrace, “do you want to eat breakfast with me?”

Yes, I switched subject, and yes, I would have forgotten it again otherwise. And Changmin’s so used to me switching subject on a quarter that he didn’t even react to it.

“Sure, I’m starting to get hungry anyways,” he simply stated and got up from his bed fully dressed in jeans and t-shirt, “do you want to go change clothes before we go downstairs?”

I shook my head and got on my feet as well nearly falling back because the lack of balance. Changmin just took my wrist and yanked me forward.

“Thanks.”

“No prob.”

And then we headed down. I can’t say that the second years didn’t react to me wearing my pajama but actually no one said anything. They we’re probably too afraid of Hyukjae to comment me.

Luckily no one was in the kitchen so I cooked the food and Changmin set the table. I had actually picked up on some of the things Appa did when he made breakfast so I fried rice and added chicken and some other things to it. I can’t say I’m the best cook ever but I can at least make my own breakfast. No one but Changmin knows about it though because no one dares to let me near the kitchen because of my clumsiness. I don’t mind though, I don’t have to cook.

We had just started eating when a boy stuck his head in to the kitchen.

“Is it chicken I smell?” he asked, a big smile in his face.

I just nodded, I didn’t dare to speak to him.

“Are you first years? I don’t recognize you,” the boy asked his next question.

“Yes we are. You?” Changmin answered him.

“I’m a third year. Nice to meet you, I’m Jinki. But you can call me Onew if you want, everyone else does.”

“I’m Changmin, and the one who cooked the breakfast here is Yesung. He’s shy so don’t expect him to talk to you for the first weeks,” Changmin said as frank as always.

“Awesome,” Jinki said, “can I try little of it? The dining hall closed five minutes ago and I overslept.”

I nodded and made a gesture towards the food still not daring to open my mouth. His smile got even wider and I blinked in amazement. How was it possible to have such a big smile? It shouldn’t be physically possible. I gave Changmin a questioning look and he just shrugged at me with a smile of his own before he continued eating. Jinki really should be lucky that Changmin eats a lot; otherwise there wouldn’t be any food for him to taste.

“This is really good, who taught you to cook?” Jinki asked jerking me out from my thoughts.

I looked at Changmin again but for help this time. He just shrugged and I can swear that he mused at my misfortune of not being able to talk to strangers.

“H-h-ha-hang-geng-h-h-hyung,” I stammered.

“Oh, the Chinese?” Jinki wondered and I nodded, “he’s awesome with food. He and Teukkie-hyung always cook together on weekends and the holidays when both of them are here. How do you know him?”

“T-t-th-thro-ough H-h-hy-hyuk-kie-h-h-hyung,” I answered, still stammering like an idiot.

“What did you say your name was again?”

“Y-y-yesung.”

“Hyukjae’s baby?”

I nodded and Jinki’s eyes grew really big. What was with that reaction?

“Oh well, thanks for the meal. I need to go if I don’t want to be late,” he said and then I noticed he had already cleaned his plate.

I just nodded to that not wanting to open my mouth again. As soon as Jinki was gone I glared at Changmin who simply just ignored me.

“Was that really necessary?” I asked him.

“No, but it was fun,” he stated, “and you need to learn to talk to people whom you don’t know.”

I just scowled and cleaned my plate before I put the dish in the dishwasher, yes we had that and not just one, but we had TWO dishwashers. This place was really a high classed school. How in the world could my parents afford to have me here? And why did they bother? There were lots of cheaper boarding schools all over the country. But I actually won’t complain about it since all people I’ve ever cared about are here. I don’t think I have the right to complain about it either so it just works out pretty well. I glanced at the clock on the wall.

“Oh ,” I blurted, “we shouldn’t sit here, especially not together if we don’t want the others to know.”

Changmin also glanced at the clock and threw his food down before he, too, put it in the dishwasher.

“Yea, don’t need to make Wookie and Jae angry this early…” he muttered and stalked off to the stairs.

Obviously he was going to his room to plot something against his siblings. I didn’t mind though because his pranks were really funny most of the time. Talk about pranks… I wonder why Kyuhyun hasn’t done any pranks on the first years yet. I heard from aunt Zhou Mi that he pranked almost everyone last year when they were freshmen and that Leeteuk had threw a fit of annoyance about it. And for some reason I couldn’t see Leeteuk throw a fit, he was too calm for that. Well… I actually don’t know him because I’ve only meet him twice and that was on the same day. Screw this, I get a headache from all this thinking. I’m gonna go to my room and let Ddangkoma out. He needs to be free sometimes and hopefully he’s been eating properly.

 

When I came up to the room I got a new shock. The Devil was sleeping and from what I knew his lessons had already started, Umma had told me they went in the same class. This majorly.

I’m not as innocent as people think I am but when Donghae and the devil was practically eating each other’s faces and the devil’s hands were somewhere they shouldn’t have been, right before my eyes, it was the first time for me seeing something like that. It was kind of scary if you ask me.

So, I went in to the room and suddenly I tripped over nothing and face-planted on the floor with a loud BOOM! Heechul sat straight up in his bed as I scrambled to my knees. When he spotted me I was quivering from fear.

“Oh, it’s just you,” he simply stated and fell back down half asleep already when his head hit the pillow.

I was completely utterly shocked by this. There was no reaction. I thought he was going to blow up big time. This side of him was even scarier than the sarcastic side I saw in the common room.

So I actually succeeded with getting back on my feet and check on Ddangkoma. It didn’t look like he’d touched his food, now I seriously got worried. I took him out of the terrarium and put him down on my untouched bed.

“What’s wrong with you?” I whispered to him, “I’m getting worried you know.”

“Stop whispering to that turtle, I’m trying to sleep over here.”

I jolted by surprise and looked over at Heechul who actually was looking at me now. He had annoyance written all over his face but his tone didn’t match that. He sounded sleepy but even gentle. I didn’t dare to speak to him so I just nodded. He shut his eyes again and I breathed out, had I just held my breath?

I let Ddangkoma wander around on my bed for almost an hour before I put him back in his cage of glass. Heechul was still asleep so I changed to a pair of sweats and a tank top before I tiptoed out of the room again, not daring to stay in case of him waking up.

 

The rest of the day passed by quietly, except Leeteuk who was scolding Heechul for skipping already on the second day of the semester. I can’t say that I looked forward to sleep in the same room as him after that because he seemed to be more annoyed then he had been on the whole day, so when it was time to go to bed I was literally shaking like a leaf.