Chapter 5

The future that could never be

I went over to Taemin’s room, wondering if Minho was still asleep or if he was awake, and knocked on the door. It took a few minutes for it to open and reviling a tired Taemin in his light green silk pajama with Tom the Cat on it.

“Morning,” he said stifling a yawn.

“Morning,” I said, “You should get dressed so that we can go and eat breakfast. I’m hungry.”

Taemin just nodded and let me in to his room while he changed to his school uniform.

 

“You look like you haven’t slept all night,” I pointed out to Taemin when we sat alone at the table.

“It’s because I’ve been awake all night,” Taemin responded with a big yawn that he covered with the back of his hand.

“Why? Doesn’t Minho sleep with you?” I asked in confusion.

“Yes, he does. When he’s in the room,” Taemin yawned again.

“Wait, what?!” I choked on my chocolate milk.

“He slept at Yunho-hyung’s room tonight.”

“Oh, so that’s where those noises came from.”

What?!” now it was Taemin’s turn to choke on his chocolate milk, “you’ve been up the whole night and heard them have ?”

I nodded, “my room iss between Yunho-ssi and Jaejoong-ssi after all, and then we have auntie’s room next to Yunho-ssi’s. I actually heard moans from all three rooms. I swear that they waited for Leeteuk-ssi to get out of the dorm.”

“I feel really sorry for you, but what make you think that they waited?”

“Leeteuk-ssi has his room opposite of mine.”

“I see.”

We kept talking about who slept where this night until the lessons started because we sat in the opposite sides of the classroom.

 

The lesson, by the way, was really boring. You expect the teacher will long for embarrassing introductions but no, it was off to start immediately with complex terms in English and then long sentences. The worst of all was that the teacher always asked me the questions even though a lot of students raised their hands because they knew the answer. It was just as if she knew I couldn’t answer her in front of the others. I couldn’t even open my mouth to speak in front of everyone, because the only student in the classroom I knew were Changmin, Junsu and Taemin.

For some reason Junho had been put in another class. Maybe it was for the reason to not be compared with his twin by the teachers, but Junsu didn’t seem to mind it too much.

The second lesson was even worse than the first, physiology, because I didn’t know anything the teacher was talking about and he too seemed to be in the mood of questioning only me. Talk about unfair.

 

When lunch came after one more horrible lesson I was dead tired.

“So, how’s the first day so far?” Hyukjae asked as the second years from our dorm joined our table.

“Horrible,” I answered.

“The teachers have been on to him the whole day,” Junsu explained when Hyukjae looked pretty confused.

“So, they have already picked this year’s victim,” a tall man with thick eyebrows stated.

“It’s bad,” Key said as he and the third years came to the table.

Everyone around the table nodded to that statement, except for Jaejoong who looked thoughtful. I also caught Leeteuk looking at me; a chill went down my spine.

“If you want, me and Teukkie can go talk to them,” Yunho offered.

I shook my head at him, “i-it’ll o-onl-ly get w-wo-worse.”

Yunho just nodded at that but it didn’t look like he was going to listen to me at all.

“This doesn’t taste good,” a voice said from the other end of the table, abruptly cutting the conversation.

“What’s wrong? You usually love the schools chicken,” a boy with a pink beanie hat over his black hair said with confusion written all over his face.

“It’s not as tasty as the one I had for breakfast yesterday,” the other boy said.

Uhoh, I forgot about him! What was his name again? Jinki I think… or was it Onew?

“They don’t serve chicken for breakfast here,” the other boy said even more confused.

“I know that,” Jinki complained.

“Then what are you talking about?” Leeteuk butted in to the conversation with furrowed eyebrows.

Please don’t tell them, please, please don’t.

“I overslept yesterday and when I went downstairs from mine and Kangin’s room the odor of chicken was over the whole bottom floor.”

“Who was up and cooked that early?” Yunho asked, “I thought I was the last one to leave, if you don’t count the first years that was sleeping.”

Oh please Jinki shut up now. Don’t tell them, I really don’t want anyone to know.

“Hyukkie and Hangeng’s son. He made breakfast for him and the tall dude,” Jinki said and pointed to Changmin, “no offense, I just don’t remember your name.”

“None taken,” Changmin brushed it away and smiled.

“Yesung?” everyone I knew, except from Changmin, around the table asked simultaneously looking from each other to me and back again slightly shocked.

Jinki nodded, “it was really well cooked with fried rice to it.”

“Wait,” Hyukjae said and put his hands up in an ‘I give up’ gesture and then turned towards me, “you can cook?”

I slowly nodded as I averted my eyes in the process.

“Why did you make breakfast for Minnie?” Jaejoong asked slightly confused, how come everyone around this table seem to be confused except me? “You two barely know each other.”

“Well, I came down to the kitchen as Yesung was preparing breakfast for himself and asked if he could make me some to,” Changmin answered in my place, thank god, “I was starving.”

“Well, I’m glad you asked for help instead of trying to cook on your own. Last time that happened you blew up the kitchen,” Jaejoong muttered.

Everyone laughed as Changmin pretended to look offended by his brother and the bomb about me being able to cook seemed to be forgotten, or so I believed anyway, and the rest of the lunch was cheerful until it was time for the next lesson.

 

For some reason all of us had dance practice together once a week, even for us who didn’t chose to have the subject. I thought it was being suspicious and so I asked Hyukjae about it.

“We have this instead of PE so that other students like you, who didn’t chose anything that trains the body, wont slack off. You know that you use your abdominal muscles while singing, right?” he asked and I nodded, “and that’s the reason for this. You train your whole body plus your stamina while dancing, and that’s the whole reason to it.”

“But how come that you who have dance and sports have to go to?” I asked still confused.

“Well, that’s quite simple. At the beginning there were only the students without physical subjects to attend this class, but there were complaints about it being unfair so midterm last year they changed it so that everyone have to go. And now these classes are arranged so that it’s only people from the same dorm that have the practical subjects together, regardless the age. But I don’t complain, I can just work on getting better,” Hyukjae simply explained with a small smile before he left me to go back to Hangeng.

We started with warming up and stretching, god, my body needs more stretching. And to me, the warming up was really hard because I didn’t have PE at all in high school. So when it was time to learn some steps I had already collapsed on the floor with my back against the mirrored wall. I really have slacked off fully. How did I think I would be able to sing long tones at all?

When our dance teacher tried to get me off the floor my body was trembling so much that my knees buckled under me, so I got permission to sit out of this on the floor for the rest of the lesson. And poor Leeteuk got the task to get me in condition after school.

“M-mianh-hae L-leet-teuk-ssi,” I mumbled, “f-for g-giving you tro-ouble.” Can I please stop stuttering like an idiot?

“No problems Yesung, I don’t have much to do so of course I’ll help our cutie magnae out,” he smiled.

Another chill went down my spine. But I nodded anyway and Changmin and Junsu came up to us so that they could lift me of the floor; it was time for singing lessons. How on earth was I supposed to live through the first week?

Of course I also had to trip over my own feet and prepared myself for the face plant, but it never came thanks to Junsu. He caught me around the waist and grabbed my arm.

“You can’t even walk, how bad condition do you have?” he asked me and chuckled.

“I really don’t know, but apparently it’s really bad,” I just answered.

“Ok then, get on,” he said as he turned his back at me, “can you help him Minnie?”

I was about to protest but didn’t get the chance to do so until I sat on Junsu’s back with his hands connected under my bum.

“This is ridiculous Su,” I complained, “I can walk on my own.”

“Not without tripping,” he answered, “so we’ll be late if we let you walk on your own. Now, shut up and deal with it.”

I sighed and crossed my arms around his neck and rested my chin over his shoulder. This was not how I’d planned my day.

 

We received a lot of weird looks from the other students as we walked to the classroom. This was also determined by dorms and not by age. Apparently all practical classes were that way, oh yeah, umma told me that before, didn’t he? The ones to sing together with me were Ryeowook, a boy named Yoochun, Junsu of course, Junho, Minho and Taemin. Key was supposed to have this class with us, but he had succeeded with changing so that he had dance together with Jaejoong, Yunho, Heechul, Hangeng and Hyukjae instead, and of course the speedy Donghae and some others.

 

But still, I didn’t want to travel like this even though the others didn’t care about the stares and whispering. All of us were used to it though, at least the ones I knew, since we’d done it a lot in high school. Back then I had nothing against it but I actually wanted to appear more mature and less childish outside the dorm. While in the dorm I just couldn’t resist to act like the innocent child everyone thought I was, especially around Umma and Appa because umma would be really hurt if I just stopped and appa would ask if something was wrong. Plus the fact that I like to be treated like their baby.

 

The first singing lesson went really fast and the break was over within seconds. The only change for the second lesson was that most students had switched, the ones who had something more than singing switched with those who had dance, acting or instrumental classes over the break so now the only one who still was here together with me was Junho. Which meant tension in the whole classroom since Jaejoong and Heechul didn’t seem to like each other at all, Appa and Umma who had to stand by me all the time accusing the teacher for flirting with me and then there was Leeteuk who tried to be the peace maker. This lesson was really tiring for me so when it finally was over I slumped down on a chair with my head resting in my palms sighing loudly.

“What’s wrong baby?” Hyukjae asked worriedly.

“Nothing, just tired. And my head is killing me,” I answered in a low voice.

“Well, you didn’t eat much to lunch so it’s not weird that you have a headache,” Hangeng said, he was always so observant, “it’s dinner in an hour.”

I nodded and let Hyukjae drag me up from the chair.

“Want me to piggyback you?” he asked and I nodded again.

Yes, it’s weird, I know, that Hyukjae is allowed to piggyback me and not Junsu, but as I said before; I like to be babied by my Umma.

When we was back in the dorm after dinner, that also had something with chicken (what is with this school and chicken?), everyone was gathered in the common room upstairs. I sat on the floor in between Hyukjae and Hangeng’s legs resting my tired head on Hyukjae’s leg; being half asleep. Changmin looked like he was discussing something with Taemin, Donghae and Heechul but I wasn’t too sure. I didn’t see Junsu but I heard his high pitched dolphin voice somewhere in the background so I know he was there to. Yoochun sat by the piano and played a beautiful soft melody and someone sat beside him, think it was Kibum because it looked like the guy Umma warned me for.

I don’t know what the rest was doing because I didn’t see them at all. And then Leeteuk went over to Heechul looking annoyed.

“You still haven’t told me why you skipped the second day,” he said as if it was only them two in the room.

“If you really need to know, Taemin was visiting me because Minho was getting ed by Yunho,” Heechul answered him like it was nothing big and Leeteuk’s eyes grew big.

“Watch your mouth!” He hissed.

And then my ears were covered, by both Hyukjae and Hangeng so I really didn’t hear a single thing. Too bad, but I’m sure Changmin or Junsu will tell me everything later.

 

***

 

Eunhyuk’s p.o.w

 

“What are you thinking Heechul?” I spat at the diva, “think about who’s in the room!”

“Yeah, I agree with my fellow Umma,” Zhou Mi said angrily from the other couch, him and Kyuhyun had their hands over Henry’s ears.

“And you don’t think they will hear talk in the classroom with all other students?” Heechul asked as calm as always.

“I really hope they won’t, but that is nothing I can prevent,” I bit back, “but in here, in our dorm, I can prevent things, and so I will.”

“Well, I really don’t care so do what you want,” Heechul said with a sincere smile on his face.

“Oh, I would slap you so hard you’d be seeing stars right now if I didn’t have to cover my baby’s ears from you,” I threatened.

“Hyukkie, please stop threatening Chullie,” Donghae butted in to the conversation, “it’s not forbidden to use terms you know.”

“Close to my baby’s ears it is,” I said and saw how Donghae rolled his eyes at me, “come on, he’s innocent, and I don’t want him to ask weird questions later because you put ideas in his head. What if he want to try because he don’t know what it is?”

“Then let him, you can’t protect him forever you know,” Jaejoong also butted in to the conversation, “he’s been to high school already so I think there might be worse damage than he let you know.”

“Oh just shut the up Jae!” I snapped at him and had all eyes on me in a split second, “what?”

“You cursed!” Siwon pointed accusingly at me.

“Yeah, so?” I really didn’t care anymore, I was angry.

“You never curse,” Donghae said, eyes big and expression shocked.

“Oh, I actually do, but just when I’m angry,” I said and grinned, yea I grinned because I can’t stay angry for long. I’m not that kind of depressing person.

“Oh, Teukkie-hyung,” Heechul said firmly, “can I take Heebum here?”

What? Talk about changing subject on a quarter… well, I’m glad the thing is over for the moment.

“You want to take your cat here?” Leeteuk asked a bit confused.

Heechul nodded, and believe it or not, he actually looked cute! I’m shocked. Oh, maybe I should let baby hear this to.

I gave Hangeng a glance so that he took his hands away from mine and I could uncover my baby’s ears.

***

 

Changmin’s p.o.w

 

Now this will be interesting, Heechul just brought up Heebum to Leeteuk. I have told him since arriving here that he should bring the cat. Awesome.

“I miss him Teukkie-hyung,” Heechul said.

“But you managed last year, why now?” Leeteuk asked still confused.

“But I miss my cat,” Heechul pouted, he actually pouted. Now that was a new one.

“OK,” Leeteuk raised his voice a bit, “anyone in here with asthma?”

Yoochun had stopped play the piano already when Umma and Appa covered Yesung’s ears and now he stood up.

“I have asthma, but no allergies towards cats or dogs,” he calmly said.

“Well, then it’s decided. You can bring your cat,” Leeteuk had that angelic smile again, “but if he destroy anything at all in our dorm you’re the one to send him back. Understood?”

I don’t get why everyone gets paralyzed by that smile, but well… just to act like them so that no one notices me. Otherwise Leeteuk probably will find a way to make me scared as hell, and I don’t have time for that.

Oh well, his smile is gone now so I can head to my room.

“Chullie, Hae, Minnie,” I said, “I need to talk to you in private, can you come to my room?”

They nodded and I gave Key a glance, he also nodded at me so he would probably spend the night in Jaejoong’s room again. Well, that was nothing I was going to report since I could have what I wanted tonight.

 

***

 

Yesung’s p.o.w

 

After Minnie got in to his room together with those three the others dropped of one by one and it was only me, Umma and Appa left in the common room. I can’t say they looked too happy though.

“Yesungie,” Hangeng started, “you have to watch yourself around that song teacher, she was obviously flirting with you.”

“No she wasn’t,” I protested, I kind of knew that this would be brought up, “don’t worry about it, she was just trying to help me just like during the first lesson.”

“She was like that the first lesson to?” Hyukjaee asked slightly shocked and I nodded, “and that stupid dolphin didn’t do anything to stop her?”

I just shook my head to that, god how annoying my parents could be.

“He will have to give me a really good excuse for not stopping her,” Hyukjae muttered.

“Umma please stop it. She wasn’t flirting with me,” I tried.

“Oh she so was,” Hyukjae exclaimed.

Appa was just silent and that was kind of creepy. How was I supposed to stop them from either killing the dolphin or scaring the crap out of the poor teacher.

“Please stop it, both of you. That poor teacher did not flirt with me, and don’t go of killing Su either. Do you understand?” I said with a bit of annoyance in my voice that made both of them look at me with strange expressions. I just say one thing: Awkward

“Since when did my baby start to grow up?” Hyukjae suddenly burst out turning to Hangeng and sob to his chest, of course it was fake to tease me. I just sighed.

“So, now that that’s finished, why have you never told us you can cook?” Hangeng asked.

Uhoh, I just knew it was too good to be true when the subject was dropped at lunch.

“Well… I haven’t met you for four years, I was supposed to stay alive so I had to learn how to cook. I just remembered how you did when you cooked for us in elementary school,” I answered him.

 “Oh,” was the only thing he said.

“Well, that’s understandable then, it’s a long time since we saw each other,” Hyukjae nodded, but it didn’t sound like he was in on the conversation between me and appa anymore.

I shook my head lightly, for some reason Umma had always been easily distracted from the conversations if it wasn’t something he wanted or needed to know. Sure it’s fun from time to time, but I can barely have a serious conversation with him if he’s not angry or protective over me. But I would like to see someone from the outside try and have a conversation with him, kekekeke.

“Now you’re giggling again,” Hyukjae shrieked and pointed accusingly at me; what?

“I didn’t… can everyone stop saying I’m giggling when I’m not?” I asked and glared at him.

“Oh baby Yesung, you really should listen to your own denial,” Hangeng said and stifled a laugh.

What? Me? In denial? Over giggling? I’m so not a giggler… where did they get that from? Well… I don’t know.

“I seriously want to go to bed now… can I?” I asked and tried to hold back a big yawn, it felt like I was going to pass out any second now.

“You do that, it looks like you’re about to faint,” Hyukjae said with a small smile and patted my shoulder.

I nodded and got up from the floor, holding on to their thighs as support because of my bad sense of balance. I hugged both of them and headed off to my room where the, hopefully sleeping, devil was.