Chapter 10

The future that could never be

Another couple of weeks had passed; it had been rather peaceful without any weird stuff happening in the dorm or school. Though the Chinese lessons are as hard for me as any other classes that involve me actually having to speak. Oh, and Henry actually have moved to my class, though he keeps avoiding me for some reason. Not that I’m complaining over it since we never actually talk. Leeteuk’s rules are still up on the kitchen door. And I’m actually able to jog with him without getting out of breath now, and my singing and dancing lessons are actually going fine, though I still am an awkward turtle when it comes down to do some weird moves. Everyone else in our dorm’s dance class make it look fluid and pretty, except for Ryeowook, he looks as awkward as me though I think he do it on purpose.

And the teachers are still using me as their target, yay, lucky me. Not. But I guess everyone wants to know what is going on so I better just shut up and tell you, right?.

 

It was Friday afternoon and school was over for today, it was weekend and everyone was happily escaping the building to go to their dorms. Everyone except for me. I was in one of our music rooms, seated in front of the piano. Yes, you heard me right; I’m sitting in front of a piano, even though I have way too short fingers to ever be a good player. But I wanted to learn playing it. Every person in our dorm that knows how to play has tried to help me, even those people that I am too shy to try and talk too. Like Yoochun hyung, he tried to help me. Though, one by one, they gave up on me. Even Hyukjae gave up on trying to teach me what he knows.

But I’m not here alone, no, I have Leeteuk here. Umma let up the rule about him not being allowed near me alone because he have seen all the good things Leeteuk have done for me. He realized that his favorite hyung did not try to kill me after all, though he still had some suspicions towards the older that I had no idea about. It was all just a big mess after all and I could not do a single thing to make it ease up.

“Yesungie, I don’t hear you playing,” Leeteuk’s voice came from the inner room.

I glanced over my shoulder, but no, he did not stand in the door way. Quickly I moved my fingers over the keys on the grand piano and started playing an easy piece that hyung had actually succeeded in teaching me. I was happy over being able to play anything at all and it actually went pretty smooth for the first part of it. Then I came to a part where it felt like I would have needed umma’s long slim fingers and I messed it up all over again.

“This is not working,” I groaned miserably to myself.

“Then try again.”

Leeteuk’s voice were right by my ear, startling me so much that I almost fell of the piano stool but his hands were on my shoulders at once.

“Easy Yesung, I didn’t mean to scare you,” he chuckled and patted one of my shoulders, “do you want me to show you again?”

I just nodded, not daring to open my mouth again. My face felt hot, especially my cheeks, and my heart skipped a beat before picking up the rhythm and beating like the wings on a hummingbird. What was this? One word; weird. I know I’m not sick, so why does it feel like I’m running a fever?

“You okay? Your face is all red,” Leeteuk said, his voice full of concern.

I just nodded again. I didn’t dare to even look at him so instead I focused my eyes on the keys as his fingers flew over them smoothly; it was as if they were dancing. It was really captivating to watch his hands when he played, those long slim fingers… Wait a second, what am I thinking?? This is not healthy, okay? I cannot have a weird finger obsession… this is not happening, not happening.

“I… I.. n-need s-some.. a-air,” I stuttered out and bolted out of the room, not knowing whether I knocked something down on my way out or not.

 

I reached the dorm after just a few minutes, having sprinted all the way back from the back of the school, and slammed the door closed after me. I kicked of my shoes and rushed up to my room, slamming that door shut too.

“Gez, can you take it easy? Some people actually try to rest after a hectic school week,” Heechul  scolded me, obviously being in a bad mood.

I looked up at him from my position by the door, my chest were heaving rapidly from that sprint and I probably had the dear in the headlights expression on my face again.

“I’m sorry hyung,” I mumbled and walked in to the room, dropping my bag on the bed and going over to Ddang’s cage.

“Why did you slam the door anyways? You looked like you got chased by hell hounds or something,” Heechul stated.

“Well.. uhm.. I..” I didn’t know how to respond to his question, heck, I didn’t know it myself.

What had I been running away from? Was it Leeteuk? Was it the frustrating piano lesson?

“Aren’t you supposed to have a lesson with Teukkie now?” my roommate asked as if reading my mind.

I just nodded as a reply and picked Ddang up; sitting down on my bed I placed my pet turtle on it too, letting him wandering around like always.

“You ran away from him, right?”

Again I gave Heechul a nod, confirming what he already knew. Why did he have to ask when he already knew the answers anyways?

“So basically you ran away from your piano lesson with Teukkie without having a reason?”

“Yes! I ran away! Are you happy now?!” I finally snapped at him, put Ddang back in his cage and left the room and a stunned Heechul, fuming with anger.

 

“Hiding from someone?”

The calm voice startled me, had I not been sitting on the floor I would probably have ended up on it. I looked up and saw a face I didn’t recognize. She was probably from one of the other dorms, and it would not surprise me if we have some classes together because I don’t pay attention to my classmates.

“You’re Yesung-ssi, right?” the girl asked.

I just nodded at her question.

“We’re having math together, do you know who I am?”

I shook my head at that.

“I’m Woori,” she introduced herself, “you don’t talk much, do you?”

I shook my head again.

“Ah well, it’s alright. It’s actually nice to meet someone who doesn’t need to fill up every little second with talk,” she said happily.

I nodded, agreeing with her, though she seemed to be a person who indeed does need to fill up every quiet second with talk.

“So, are you hiding from someone?”

I shook my head.

“Okay. So why are you sitting in the corner farthest away from the door in the whole library?”

I just shrugged, how am I supposed to answer if I can’t talk to her?

“Oh well, I just got curious since you’re here all by yourself. But I need to go now; my friends will think I snuck off to meet my boyfriend again otherwise. It was nice talking to you; we should do it again sometime,” she said with a smile and waved at me as she walked away.

Random girl, but yeah, she actually made my anger towards Heechul go away so I guess I should be grateful to her. And the others are probably wondering where I am since dinner was an hour ago. I’ve been in here for quite some time and I bet umma is fuming because I skipped a meal again, or he have everyone waiting for me to get back with eating… jupp, I should definitely head back. But I don’t want too. I don’t want to see Heechul, and I definitely don’t want to face Leeteuk. It will get even more awkward than earlier… , I still have to go out and jog with him tomorrow. No! Can’t I just say that I’m sick? Or that I sprained my ankle? Yes, that is a good one. I can just say that I did that and then I won’t have to go out and jog with him. Good plan Yesung.

I mentally gave myself a pat on the shoulder and got up from the floor. Now I just had to be convincing, though acting have never been my thing. Damn it.

 

“Where have you been? Do you know how worried I was?”

That was the first questions reaching my ears when I stepped in through the door and I got attacked by a read headed monkey, said person trying to hug me to death.

“Can’t... breath...” I squeaked the words out.

“Sorry baby,” he just said and loosened his grip on me, though still hugging me tight, “better?”

“Mhm,” I just hummed and hugged him back, “you dyed your hair.”

“I did, do you like it?” he asked and pulled back a little, a smile on his lips.

“It suits you,” I smiled back.

“Good, so, where were you? You got me worried sick over here,” he pouted.

I just rolled my eyes and buried my face in Hyukjae’s shoulder. If he were worried sick, then why did he dye his hair?

“You know I get restless when I’m worried… and I was dying it when you were supposed to be at your piano lesson. I went to your room when I was done just to get told by Heechul that you had left the dorm angry,” he explained, “what happened?”

“I don’t want to talk about it,” I mumbled against his shoulder.

“Heechul said you ran away from your lesson and came back to the dorm and then got angry and snapped at him, is it true?”

I just nodded at that, not really feeling up for discussing these kinds of things.

“Aigoo, what am I supposed to do with you?” Hyukjae heaved a sigh, “where did my innocent baby go?”

Can he please stop sulking? It makes me feel bad.

“I don’t know… maybe he’s rebelling,” I replied in a whisper.

“Rebellions are never working out in the end. Are you hungry? We saved some food for you.”

I shook my head no, but my stomach betrayed me by rumbling loudly.

“Don’t lie to me Yesung, You are hungry,” again he sighed and pulled away from me, just to take me by the hand and lead me to the kitchen.

“But I don’t feel like eating,” I protested, knowing that there is no way to even try and struggle, umma is stronger than he looks.

“Bull, you need food or you’ll never gain any weight. You need it, you’re too skinny.”

Hyukjae pushed me down on a chair before going over to the fridge and rummage through it for the leftovers from their dinner.

“Taemin and Hangeng didn’t cook dinner for the whole dorm just so you could skip a meal you know.”

“I know.”

“Then why did you try and skip it?”

“I lost track of time when hi… uhm… doing something.”

I know he picked up on my slip of tongue, but he didn’t say anything about it. The only thing leaving him was another sigh and I knew that dinner was going to get either awkward or very quiet. I hoped for the later, because this day had already been awkward enough for me.

 

*Author p.o.w*

 

To Yesung’s big surprise dinner passed by with pleasant small talk. Hyukjae asked him how his week had been and if the teachers were still asses and picked on him. Then he asked how the piano lessons were going and if Yesung liked the school despite their stupid teachers.  After that they just talked about normal everyday things and Hyukjae told him small parts from his Wednesday dinners with Zhou Mi.

It had been a while since they got to just sit down and talk to each other because the second years had a lot of things going on with upcoming tests and the dance class had a showcase coming in just a couple of weeks so both Hyukjae and Hangeng spent most of their free time in the practice rooms. They basically just ate dinner and slept in the dorm. They did not even eat breakfast in peace and quiet but just made some protein drinks and brought with them to practice before their lessons started.

“So umma,” Yesung begun, “what do you want to do when you graduate?”

“I want to become a professional dancer, both me and Hangeng. And we also want to have our own studio,” Hyukjae explained, “We want to have a studio where we can teach kids dance, and help those who can’t afford tuition.”

“So that’s your big dream?”

“I never told you?”

Yesung shook his head; this was the first time he heard Hyukjae speak about the future. He would never have thought that his umma had such a big heart, though he knew, of course, that the older had passion and lived for dancing.

“I really thought I had told you about it.”

“But you told me now, right?” Yesung said, looking at Hyukjae with a small smile.

“I guess I did,” Hyukjae chuckled and ruffled Yesung’s hair.

And the small talk continued like that since the dorm was pretty much empty, half of the students having gotten permission to go home over the weekend and the rest being either in their rooms resting or having snuck out from the school and in to town.

“So,” Hyukjae begun, alerting Yesung of what was about to come, “can you tell me what got you so upset that you ran away from your piano lesson?”

“I can’t,” Yesung replied in a quiet voice.

“And why can’t you?” Hyukjae wanted to know.

“Because I don’t know myself,” Yesung mumbled and looked down at his lap.

“Did Teukkie hyung do something to you?”

Yesung quickly shook his head, but feeling his cheeks heating up he knew he was blushing as he thought about how close Leeteuk had been standing.

“Okay, what did he do to you?” Hyukjae asked with a stern voice, his hand taking a hold of Yesung’s smaller to keep his baby from running away.

“Hyung didn’t do anything… he just showed me how to play when I messed up,” Yesung mumbled, the blush on his cheeks growing a bit deeper.

“Then why are you blushing and refuse to look at me?” Hyukjae pressed, he was getting worried.

“I don’t know.”

Hyukjae let out a small sigh and stood up, pulling Yesung up and hugging the younger boy.

“It’s okay baby, you don’t have to know. I just don’t like seeing you upset,” he spoke in a soft voice.

Yesung just hugged him back and buried his face in the elder’s neck.

“I’m curious though, why did you snap at Heechul?”

“He cornered me,” was all Yesung replied and Hyukjae knew he wouldn’t get any more out of the other.

 

Later that night Yesung were alone in his room. Where Heechul had gone he didn’t know, neither did he care that much either since it meant he didn’t have to apologize yet. Hyukjae had made it clear for him that he definitely needed to apologize because he had hurt Heechul with the way he acted even if the older didn’t show it. Believe it or not, but Heechul had actually asked the questions because he cared for his younger roommate even though he showed it in a very weird sort of way, according to Yesung himself.

Trying to think of a way to apologize to Heechul so that the older would see he really meant it wasn’t that easy. He didn’t know what to say or how to explain what happened or why he got so angry without sounding like he were trying to explain it all away.

Ending up with a not so funny headache Yesung decided to try and sleep, he could apologize tomorrow, right?

Closing his eyes and relaxing in to the soft pillow, for once his brain wasn’t buzzing with thoughts and sleep took him rather quickly.