Chapter 7

The future that could never be

Yesung p.o.w

 

Three weeks passed in almost the same pattern, though I don’t dread to sleep in my own room anymore. I still prefer to sleep in umma’s and appa’s room but Heechul’s actually an okay room-mate.

And I don’t know why but it feels like me and Ryeowook is gliding apart. He hasn’t spoken to me once since we came here. It’s no fun. But at least me and Changmin is getting closer to each other again. I’ve really missed him, a lot.

Jaejoong is acting… I really don’t know how to describe it… but very much not like the Jaejoong I was used too. He was cold and distant and only seemed to care about his boyfriend Key. It saddens me that his and Changmin’s relationship still is awkward and distant, and sometimes it really seem like Jaejoong hates Changmin.

Leeteuk is helping me like he promised our dance teacher though. We meet up every morning and go for a jog before everyone else is awake. I hate to sneak behind umma’s back, but he said I can’t be alone with the dorm head at all after almost dying from another laughing fit.

Oh, and Heechul’s cat, Heebum, is here. He paws around the dorm and scare people like a boss. It’s really funny actually. And somehow he seems to have accepted me since he never does anything towards me. And it’s funny to see how Heechul can do whatever he wants with the cat without getting as much as a scratch. As late as yesterday he was dancing with Heebum on his head and the cat just laid there and stared at people as If it was the most normal thing to do. It’s really amazing how strong the bond is between them.

The teachers are still all over me with questions that I still can’t answer and umma is cursing them every lunch, at least it’s a bit entertaining, and I can actually stand a whole dancing lesson now. I’m still getting completely exhausted, but at least I’m not nearly passing out just by warming up.

Oh, and we’ve started learning Chinese now, Mandarin, and it’s actually a subject I manage to handle. In writing I mean. I’m not speaking, nu uh, not in front of the class. Forget it.

All second and third years are really jealous on us for getting to read the language while they can’t. It’s a test from the school to see if they should put it in the curriculum permanently.

And my nightmares are coming when they feel like it, and for some reason, Changmin is always there to wake me up. He won’t tell me how he knows I’m having a nightmare; it’s a mystery to me. But I guess it is ok. At least he’s always there for me, and it doesn’t seem to trouble Taemin at all.

And I know I’m blabbering away, let’s continue with my life, shall we?

 

It was Saturday morning, one of few I didn’t have to get out of bed early and go out jogging, so I just snuggled closer to umma. Yes, I’m sleeping in their room again, so sue me. I haven’t slept all night, but I’m not tired at all. I really have no clue of how my body works, it just does.

“Good morning baby,” umma mumbled, his voice sounded tired, “why are you awake so early?”

No, he still doesn’t know about my sleeping problems.

“Can’t sleep?”

I shook my head.

He sighed quietly and wrapped his arms around me, pulled me closer and hugged me tight.

“You hungry?”

I shook my head again.

“I know you’re the quiet type Yesung, but can you please, please answer me verbally?” he asked and looked down at me, concern written all over his beautiful face.

Yes, my umma is beautiful. I have the rights to think that.

“S-sorry..” I mumbled and hid my face against his chest.

“I don’t want you to lose the ability to speak again,” he said and I just knew there was a pout on his lips.

“I know…” I mumbled again but it’s natural for me.

“Do you remember how much you and I practiced to get you back to speaking?” he asked softly.

“I remember,” I answered him almost in a whisper, smiling at him in the dark, “how can I ever forget?”

He just shrugged and let go of me to get out of bed.

“Let’s go down so we don’t wake Hannie, ok?”

 

Said and done, ten minutes later we were down in the kitchen. It was still early so no one else seemed to be up yet, not even Leeteuk.

“I don’t care if you’re hungry or not, I’m making breakfast.” Hyukjae said.

I just sighed, I’m not in the mood for eating but I guess I have to if I don’t want umma to worry about me. I know I’m underweight but it’s not my fault that I have a hard time gaining it when it’s so easy to lose it.

“And why are you pouting now?”

Hyukjae’s voice brought me out of my thoughts.

“Don’t know~” was the only thing I answered.

He sighed and put a pot with kimchi ramyun on the table. Wow, that was fast. Or were I just spacing out again? I have no idea.

“Come on Yesungie, eat before it gets cold,” he said and filled my bowl up with food.

I silently took my chopsticks and started eating, it actually tasted good. Not that I don’t know he can cook, I just haven’t tasted his food before. I’m too spoiled with eating what appa makes, Kekeke.

“You’re giggling~”

“AM NOT!” I protested and glared at him playfully as I stuffed my mouth with food.

“At least you’re eating,” he mumbled and started eating as well.

 

After breakfast I walked up to my room not wanting to be in the way of umma’s and appa’s morning snuggle time. And since I had absolutely nothing to do I decided to take Ddang out of his cage just to make the time pass by.

Sometimes I really wonder why I picked a turtle, out of all animals, to have as a pet. But I guess it is because they have a long life and I don’t have to be afraid of him dying on me.

Don’t take me wrong here, I love my Ddang, but sometimes he can be really boring since he doesn’t like to be manhandled. He is a very curious reptile though, he usually like to explore my bed. I don’t dare to put him on the floor, what if he decides to hide beneath the bed? Or get stepped on by Heechul? Then he would be nothing but a crushed turtle, and that’s nothing I’d like to experience thank you very much.

I opened the door and tiptoed my way in to the room just to find the devil’s bed empty. Now what? It’s Saturday and it’s not even past eight am… where is he? He never gets out of bed this early.

I know a frown was on my forehead as I walked over to Ddang’s cage.

“What?!”

The cage was empty! What is this? Where’s Ddang?

I lifted every little rock and other things he have in his terrarium not finding the turtle anywhere. Where is he? He can’t have escaped, can he? Or… dear lord, have someone kidnapped him??

I rushed over to umma’s and appa’s room and burst the door open interrupting their morning time.

“Yesungie what..” Hyukkie started but I interrupted him.

“Ddang is gone!”

“What?!” Hyukkie shouted and flew out of bed.

“Ddang is gone!” I cried out feeling my eyes fill with tears.

“Are you sure he’s not just exploring the room?” Hangeng asked, being a bit more collected then me and Hyukjae.

“But he was in the cage last night,” I said and the tears spilled over.

Hyukjae went over to me and wrapped his arms tightly around me, holding me in a tight hug.

“Hush baby, we’re going to find him. He can’t be outside the dorm,” he coed in my ear with a calm and soft voice.

“B-but what i-if.. if s-someo-one has k-kidna-napped.. h-him?” I stuttered out between sobs.

“He probably just decided to explore the dorm Yesungie,” Hangeng said as he patted my head, “let’s go look for him, ok?”

I nodded and Hyukjae wiped my tears away with his thumbs, a soft smile upon his lips but his eyes filled with concern.

 

We searched through the dorm from floor to ceiling, or at least that’s what it felt like, for hours without finding Ddang and almost everyone in our dorm was awake because of us. Some people were really grumpy and some tried to help us.

Changmin had left the dorm as soon as he got to know that Ddang was gone and no one knew where he went off to. No one, not even Donghae, knew where Heechul was either. No one had seen the red haired diva since yesterday.

And then, ten minutes later, Changmin came back dragging the Kim Heechul by his arm in to the dorm looking more pissed than ever. I had no idea he could look that way, and Heechul... He looked really frightened. What was going on here? I have no idea.

“Yesung, Heechul want to take you somewhere,” Changmin said through gritted teeth.

I just nodded and ignored umma’s offer of coming with me to make sure Heechul didn’t do anything else to traumatize me.

 

As soon as we got out from the dorm and the door was closed behind us Changmin burst out laughing… what? This is even weirder than to see him angry. What’s going on?

“Chul, please don’t ask me to act angry at you again, okay?” Changmin asked between fits of laughter, “I could have blown the cover up completely.”

“What? It was genius, don’t you agree?” Heechul said with a devious smirk that scared me, “you said you don’t want your brothers’ to know about the relationship we have yet so I had to think something up.”

I frowned and stepped up to Changmin and grabbed his wrist, stopping him, and looked up at the tall thing with questioning intentions. He looked back down at me with a smile and pulled me in to a hug. Now that was not exactly what I wanted…

“Just come along Yesungie, okay? Heechul need to talk to you and this was the only way to do so,” he whispered in my ear before releasing the hug and taking my hand instead, pulling me to walk with them again.

I just shrugged, as long as I have Changmin I don’t have to be afraid of anything and I know Changmin know Heechul from earlier because of how he acts around the redhead when they’re both in our room. I guess it’s okay to break umma’s rules about not speaking to him if it’s something he really has to talk to me about, right?

“Yesung… you’re spacing again~” Changmin said with a chuckle as they dragged me inside an old looking, very large, building.

Not that I actually got to see it that clearly.

“S-sorry,” I mumbled.

When we got inside the building there were many large bookshelves lined up in all directions, signs hanging from the ceiling to tell what section went where and a few meters up front there was a modern desk with a computer on it and an elder male sitting in a chair behind it looking extremely bored.

“Can I help you with anything boys?” said man asked with no interest.

“No need to Mr,” Changmin said with a polite smile, “we just need to look for a couple books.”

The man just waved us of, that was weird.

“W-where…. Are w-we?” I whispered to Changmin, afraid to speak to loudly in here.

“This, Yesung dear, is the school library,” Changmin explained.

“We have a library?!” I asked him loudly, forgetting about the presence of Heechul for a second there.

The old man hushed at us and looked extremely annoyed making me blush and hide against Changmin’s arm, seeking safety. Changmin just chuckled and patted my head.

“Keep it low if you don’t want to cause a commotion,” he said.

I just nodded and followed him and Heechul down the aisles towards the back of the library that looked like it was some kind of an old study hall with ten round tables, four to six chairs around each one, and at the furthest back there were a box without a lid on.

“Go on,” Heechul said, “Your pet is in there.”

I glanced over at him and saw this soft smile gracing his features, it was so not him that it kind of both scared me and had a calming effect at the same time.

“What are you waiting for Yesung?” Heechul asked, “Ddangkoma misses you, don’t you think?”

I just nodded and walked over to that section as fast as I could, trying not to trip over any chairs, or my own feet.

When I reached the box and looked down inside of it I saw Ddang having one of his explorations on soft fabric with a piece of lettuce put on it. He seemed to be fine and well and I let out a breath I didn’t know I was holding in.

“You didn’t think I’d hurt him, right?”

I jumped and twirled around to face Heechul, did he and Changmin follow me back here? I shook my head furiously.

“Good, because I’d never be able to hurt an animal. And Changmin told me you had been worried about him not eating enough, but actually he’s been eating more than you think.”

“H-how?” I stuttered out.

“Well, I’ve been putting down lettuce for him since he’s been out of it when I’ve come to our room,” he said and sat down, “and you probably want to know why I took him just to get to talk to you, right?”

I nodded and sat down by the other side of the table, Changmin sitting down next to me.

“I want to apologize to you.”

What? Did I hear that? Him? Apologizing? This is just not fitting.

“Stop staring Yesung, it’s rude,” Changmin pointed out.

“You didn’t see that one coming huh?” Heechul said and smirked, now that’s how I remember him, “but I need to apologize because I don’t want you to be scared of me since we actually are roomies and all. And what I did to you the first night you was here was not fair, neither towards you nor Donghae since that could have destroyed his friendship with Hyukjae.”

“W-why?” was the only word I could get out, still not comfortable with opening my mouth around him.

“Why I did that with him even though I knew you were coming in?”

I nodded in response and picked Ddang up from the box.

“Well, me and Jae isn’t exactly on the best terms with each other and since he seemed to know you I wanted to get him in trouble, but of course, that did not happen,” Heechul said with a sigh, “and I really didn’t know you haven’t seen anyone do something like that before and that’s why I am apologizing. But at least you got to know from the beginning that I’m not a straight person.”

He smiled again and his eyes were shining like those on a mischievous cat who just got the best idea ever of how to torture his victim. I shuddered, but managed to smile back and nodded.

“I-it’s... o-ok-kay...” I told him, “u-umma i-is… j-just a b-bit o-overp-protect-tive.”

“Yes, I noticed that. Or he wouldn’t have hit Donghae that hard.”

Even though the tone of his voice was edgy he was still smiling, I say one word: Creepy! I shivered again.

“So, now that you know, what will you do with the information? Pretend that this didn’t happen and keep me as the bad guy or actually process it and try to stop being afraid of me?” Heechul asked dryly, back to his diva versus devil side.

“Uhm…” I really didn’t know what to do, “I... I c-can t-try… n-not t-to be… a-afraid of y-you.”

Heechul smiled, obviously happy with my reply.

“B-but,” I continued, “I-I h-have t-to h-hide it… f-from u-umma… A-at l-least for n-now.”

“I think that can be a good idea. Because Hyukkie still have you on his who to avoid list,” Changmin added in.

Heechul just shrugged, “whatever.”

“We should get back or they will actually start looking for us, since it looks for them like you kidnaped the turtle and then lured Yesungie with you,” Changmin said, using the same dry tone as Heechul.

“You two go back, I have some stuff to attend to~” Heechul said with a smirk and stood up, preparing to go.

“S-see y-you… l-later then,” I said and smiled at him.

His smirk turned in to a smile, but went back to the smirk so fast I was wondering if I had imagined it all. This guy is really weird. But his hair still has that pretty red color. It’s almost as if it tells me to touch it.

“Yesung, what are you doing?”

Changmin’s voice snapped me back to reality and I looked around just to realize my hand was reaching towards Heechul’s hair. Bad idea Yesung, bad. I mentally scolded myself and retracted my hand and in a few seconds Heechul was gone, along with that pretty hair of his.

“What were you trying to do?” Changmin asked with an amused expression on his face.

“I… don’t know,” I answered him, “it’s like his hair tries to draw me to it.”

“It’s not so smart to touch his hair, he’ll freak out and hate you for eternity,” Changmin warned.

“How do you know him so well?” I asked him.

“That’s a story for me to know and you to wonder about,” he said mysteriously and stood up, “but we really should head back. Bring the box with you so everyone can see hi didn’t try to harm Ddang.”

I nodded and stood up, cradling the box in my arms but after thinking for a few seconds I held the box out for Changmin to take.

“Come on, carry him. You know I’ll just trip and hurt him,” I said and pouted.

Changmin just chuckled and took the box away from me and headed of towards the door, me following him closely but on a safe distance.

 

When we got back to the dorm almost everyone was waiting for us by the door.

“MY BABY’S ALIVE!” Hyukjae exclaimed and pulled me in to a breathtaking hug, “I almost thought Heechul had kidnapped both of you,” he pouted.

I just shook my head at his silliness but hugged him back.

“Well, at least he kidnapped Ddang in a nice way~” Changmin said and held the box so that everyone could see both the food and the soft fabric.

“He still kidnapped him, and as far as I know that’s not nice,” Hyukjae said.

“Come on Hyuk, you know Heechul wouldn’t do anything to hurt an animal, and definitely not kidnap someone else’s without a reason,” Hangeng tried to reason with his wife in an attempt to stand up for his best friend, his brother.

“I know,” Hyukkie whined and kept pouting, “but he traumatized my baby and I still can’t forgive him for that.

His last sentence came out as a mutter and I freed myself from his embrace.

“I-I’m o-ok…” I mumbled, “n-no… h-harm d-done.”

I hated how everyone’s’ attention was on me. What did I ever do wrong to have this happen to me again? Isn’t it enough that the teachers’ are still using me as their bullying object? Why? The world is so unfair. I should just go sob in a corner.

“Earth to Yesung.”

I flinched back from the hand waving in front of my face.

“Stop spacing so much and take your turtle back to his home,” Changmin said and handed the box with Ddang back to me.

“S-sorry…” I mumbled and took the box from him and started moving towards the stairs.

“Yesung.”

I turned around and looked at Hyukjae.

“Come back down and eat lunch when you put Ddang back. Arasso?” he said with a smile.

I just nodded and left for the stairs, I really don’t feel like talking when the hallway is full of people I don’t know.

When I finally reached the top of the stairs and turned to walk to my room I got scared and almost fell backwards with a shrilling scream. But the one who scared me wrapped his arms around my waist to catch me and hinder me from falling.

“My my Yesung, you have to be careful,” Yunho chuckled and released me to pat my head.

“What is going on up there?!” Hyukkie’s voice shouted from down stairs.

“I accidentally scared Yesung, he was the one screaming~!” Yunho shouted back calmly and turned to me, “you okay?”

I nodded and bowed ninety degrees to show him my gratitude.

“No need to bow, just be careful,” he said and smiled at me.

I smiled back and waited till he had disappeared down the stairs before going back to my own room, thankfully not getting any more frights on the way. I don’t even know what I got scared of. Sure, Yunho popping out from nowhere might be scary, but I guess I’m just a scaredy-cat.

But now you’ll have to excuse me because I have to put Ddang back and then go down to eat. I promise I will tell you if anything more happens today. Toodels~