Campfire

Babysitter

Key

Great, so now not only did I have a crying kid, but I was also burning with rage from Minho's douchebag-ness.  I turned to the twins and they were both staring at me, wide-eyed.

"How come you can talk to Minho that way?" Chanhee asked, awestruck.

"What?"

"Whenever I talk to him like that, he just hits me."

He hits children.  What. An. .

"Does your umma know this?"

"Yeah.  She says he's just a that way."

I slapped my forehead.  "Chanhee, don't say that word."

"Oh...sorry."

I shook my head.  Wow, and to think that I actually thought I might like Minho.  I mean, not like him, but I thought that he might've not been as bad as I thought he was.

He's worse than I thought.

The twins and I cleaned up the fort before dinner.  I let them watch TV while I cooked us some food.

Byunhun was yawning by the time we were done eating.

"Ready for bed?" I asked him.

"No way." Chanhee said before his brother could answer.  "It's not even 8:00 yet."

"Your brother's yawning, Chanhee."

"He's not tired, right Byunhun?"

Byunhun looked at his brother, then nodded sleepily.

"See?  Can we have a campfire tonight, Key?"

"I guess...if your brother wants to." I said, watching the little boy lay his head on the table.

"He wants to." Chanhee jumped up.  "Let's go!  Key, the matches are in the cupboard.  I'll get paper.  Byunhun, go set up chairs."

The little boy rose slowly from his chair and went outside, while Chanhee skipped off in some other direction.  I grabbed the matches and followed Byunhun outside.

He was so damn scrawny that he struggled with the chairs, so I set them up for him.  He smiled shyly at me.

Chanhee came running out with a wad of newspaper and handed it to me.

"You do know how to start a fire, right?" He asked me.

I refrained from rolling my eyes.  "Neh, Chanhee.  I know how to start a fire."

He shrugged and sat down in one of the chairs, his brother doing the same.

There was firewood next to their fire pit, so I set it up and stuffed it with paper.  I lit one of the matches, but I accidentally touched my finger to the flaming tip.

"Ouch!" I yelped, dropping the match into the dirt.

"You have to hold the match like-"

"I know, Chanhee." I said irritably.  I wasn't going to be told what to do by a six-year old.  Who the hell does he think is in charge?

When I finally lit the fire, we all sat around it, just staring at it.  Chanhee seemed perfectly content, but Byunhun kept nodding off.

"Key?" Chanhee squeaked.

"Yeah?"

"Do you like us?"

"You and Byunhun?"

He nodded.

"Of course." I smiled.

"Do you like Minho?"

I hesitated, then sighed.  "I don't know him very well..."

"Well...from what you've met of him so far."

"Not...not really."

Chanhee nodded, still staring into the fire.  He seemed to be lost in thought.

After a while, Byunhun's head hung to the side, and he was quietly snoring.

"Time to go to bed, Chanhee." I stood up and spread out the coals so that the fire would put itself out, and then I picked up Byunhun bridal-style.  Chanhee put the chairs away before running inside ahead of me.

He led me upstairs to their bedroom, where two absolutely identical twin beds sat.  I carefully laid Byunhun down on one of the beds.

"Key," Chanhee whined. "That's my bed!"

I sighed and moved Byunhun to the other bed.

"Thanks...he can just sleep in his clothes since he's in them already."

I nodded and took off Byunhun's shoes for him.

"Put your pajamas on and get in bed.  Goodnight, Chanhee."

He hugged me around the waist.  "Goodnight, Key."

I smiled and left the room, closing the door behind me.  I walked downstairs and heard someone in the kitchen.

I entered the kitchen and saw Minho standing there, the refrigerator door hanging open.  

He turned to look at me and smirked the way that he did before.  "Hey."

"Hey." I said irritably.

"...I'm sorry about earlier today..."

"Okay." I stared blankly at him.

He scoffed.  "You're not even going to attempt to get along with me?"

"What's the point?"

He smiled to himself and shook his head.  "Maybe for the sake of the kids?"

"They don't need you."

"Excuse me?"

I gritted my teeth.  "I've known you all for a day, and I already realize how much of an  you are to them."

He looked appauled at the accusation. "How would you even know?  Like you said, you've known us for a day."

"Chanhee said-"

"Chanhee's six, Key.  Do you really believe everything that he says?"

I rolled my eyes.  "Whatever, Minho."

I walked out of the kitchen, leaving him shaking his head behind me. 


 

Yah, when will these two start to get along?

Hang in there, my friends.  Their time will come.

Four updates in one night!  I'm a busy girl. ^.^