Tale 7 - Tragedies

Cinderella's Stepsister

Tale 7


My relationship with Seo Joo Hyun, or Seohyun, how she prefer to be called, back then when we were freshman was better than this. We knew each other good naturedly. We met often at the library, being a bookworm she was. We even chatted like a good friend. But, it wouldn’t last long… Well, I kind of understood why she didn’t want me to be her friend. Who would want to have the one who ruined her life as a friend?

But she didn’t make it obvious enough for me to notice that she wanted me to get lost. She stayed as nice as she always appeared, smiled to me and all, which made me feel I didn’t deserve all of that. She was the best friend I could never imagine existed.

I should have known better not to hope too much.

It’s true that I didn’t deserve her kindness. And she surely pointed it out in every way she could.

Like right at this time, maybe.

“Sooyoung-unnie!” called her, the one and only precious princess, Seohyun.

I gave her my best smile, one so angelic so maybe she could forget that I was a devil for just a minute. I am an actress, remember? I am really good at things like this. “Seohyun!” I called back oh so nicely.

“Sooyoung!” And soon my mother and her future husband came in the views too, looking happy just standing side by side. I hugged Seohyun, my mother, and Mr. Seo in that order, still painstakingly kept my smile on my face.

And everything that happened after that came really fast. Like, seriously fast. Just like a domino. One time Seohyun was suddenly pushed by someone from back, waiter accidently poured martinis all over my dress, and Seohyun frantically apologized while dabbing tissue from the nearest buffet table.

I really just wanted her to stop, grabbing her hand, trying to take the tissue to do the cleaning by myself and saying ‘It’s okay’ over and over again. Suddenly everything went wrong. It was so fast, when I realized I lied on the floor with everyone shouting here and there, a huge mess was in front of me.

Or rather a huge sculptured ice was a mess in front of me. And then I saw my hand, I was no longer grabbing Seohyun’s hand… “Oh my God…” I whispered, my hands trembling, “Oh my God!”

“Sooyoung? Are you okay?” Changmin asked, arms wrapped around me, holding me tightly. He was the one who pulled me from being hit by the sculpture I guessed. I couldn’t really think, because one I grabbed before was not pulled to the safe part either.

“Seohyun!!” I heard a lot of people shouted her name, and soon I couldn’t see the mess anymore, covered by a lot of people trying to safe her.

Changmin helped me to stand up, his hands on both side of my cheeks, making me looked exactly to his eyes, “Hey? Sooyoung? Are you okay?” He sounded so serious, so worried, “Sooyoung? Answer me!”

“W-what-what just happened??” My voice croaked, my heart still beating so fast from the shock, “Seohyun? What’s happen to Seohyun?”

“Hey, it’s okay…” He covered my body with his blazer, and put his arm once again around my body. He whispered it over and over again soothingly. It felt warm.

I saw a figure lifted Seohyun in his arm coming out of the crowd, Mr. Seo just right beside him. Both men brought an unconscious Seohyun out of the ballroom immediately.

Everyone seemed so shocked after what had happened. The host said assuring word in the background. But soon after people who rescued Seohyun left, all the eyes turned to me. And all I could hear was the crowd voices.

They didn’t say it out loud, but I still could hear their whispers. It felt so loud like they were shouting it in my face. They judging eyes and pointed look.

“She pushed Ms. Seohyun!” “How could a big ice just dropped like that if someone didn’t push!” “I bet she did that on purpose!” “Like mother like daughter!” ”Ms. Seo just tried to help her and she pushed her!” “Oh my god, is she trying to kill Ms. Seohyun!!” “Such a filth girl!”

The scariest thing of all was that I couldn’t deny it, because I didn’t know. I didn’t know what just happened. It came like a flash in my head. I remembered hold her hands. I pushed her, but it was only a little force. I swore I didn’t want all of this to happen. I didn’t even push her to the table.

“Sooyoung!” my mother called me, worry written all over her aged face, “Baby, are you okay?”

“D-did I d-do that?” I whispered, “Mom, Am I the one who do that?”

“No, baby, it was an accident…” My mother my hair softly.

“Mrs. Choi, I think it is better for me to take Sooyoung home now,” Changmin said politely. I never heard him this polite before. But hey, I never heard him talk to me so caringly and softly like before either.

“Oh, yes, I can’t thank you enough… I’m really grateful you saved her…” She patted Changmin shoulder, “Thank you, thank you, dear…”

I hold his hand tightly, I didn’t even know why. Maybe I’m afraid I would loss his kindness. Like I lost Seohyun’s.

I never deserve Seohyun’s kindness. It never ended up well.

I never deserve anyone’s kindness.

“Changmin…” I called him slowly, “D-did I do that?”

“No, Soo, You didn’t…”

Changmin wouldn’t lie, right?