Tale 4 - Strength

Cinderella's Stepsister

Tale 4


Since the day I found my mother in her room, crying, I promised to myself not to shed any tears, already understanding that crying couldn’t solve anything. Because my mother kept crying, but nothing really made any difference for her, everything just went on the way it was, cornering my mother on the edge of her insanity.

I was carrying my favorite teddy bear while walking closer to her, hugging her with my small arms. That was when I realized I needed to be taller, stronger, with bigger arms, so that I could hug her more tightly, becoming her tough shield.

Until this day, I had never shed a single tear, and I won’t. Choi Sooyoung is strong, I thought to myself over and over again. Even when my mother already had someone else to protect her, I will always be strong. I need to protect my own self after all.

“I heard it from Jessica,” Hyoyeon, my roommate started to speak after the long silent we unusually had in the living room. I looked up and I found her grinning at me, “I think Tiffany will not come to school for a week.”

I sighed and continued to read my collage’s papers. “Not that she didn’t deserve it... She had been a little bit pains in the neck for these past months.” She then added while standing from the sofa and walked to her room, I would be lying if I said I didn’t smile too. It was a pleasure to slap her after all.

“I will eat outside today. Just lock the door when you go. I’ll bring my own key.” Hyoyeon shouted from her room.

Took it quite a while for me to understand what Hyoyeon just said, then turning my head almost instantly to her, “What? You eat outside and leave me here alone? And you don’t even ask me to come with you? Jessica isn’t even home yet!” Hyoyeon looked up from her opened door and frowned, “Are you going on a date? With who?” I added before she even opened .

“What? No!” She answered, “You’re the one who leaving me alone. Are you expecting me to be here alone while you and Jessica attending the luxurious party out there?”

“Wait, what? What luxurious par–” It sound like I was shrieking, but hey! She talked nonsense! What party! But then the realization hit me. That party?! “What! I’m not going to that party!

“Well, you’re going to,” said Jessica who I didn’t really know had been there. She suddenly came, walking from the hallway to the living room. Maybe if she wasn’t a Queen in her past lives, she might be a witch or something. Or both! Imagine some kind of Witch Queen? Who kind of control the ice maybe? Okay, I am watching too much Disney Movies. “I already borrowed dress for you. You’d better come with me.”

“You never go to parties before!” My eyes widened at the sight of white dress in Jessica’s hand. The typical Jessica’s choice that looked extremely expansive. It’s not that I never wear expensive clothes, but this is Jung Jessica, the girl who spent millions just for clothes. Expensive was way an understatement. That dress might afford my collage bills in a year.

“True. My mother made me, and she used Donghae this time. I can’t say anything.” The honey-brown haired girl shoved the dress to me, “I need someone to keep me sane in that super-boring party.”

“But-but… but… You are with Donghae. Why you drag me a long with you!” I stuttered while my eyes wandering to the too soft dress in my hands, I bet this was three times more expensive than the apartment rent.

Jessica shrugged, “Donghae is good with peoples, everyone like him, and he will talk with every person here and there. I need you to keep me accompanied. I am not really good with people, remember? And also, you’re already invited.”

My mouth gaped open, speechless, and a bit frightened at the sight of smiling Jessica in front of me. She doesn’t really like to talk, and when she starts to, it might became really harsh or really demanding. This is one of those demanding moments. “You will come, right? There will be a lot of food, and oh! Changmin! Great, isn’t it?”

“What… does it have to do with Changmin!” I almost shouted, “Why will it be great if there will be him?!”

“I thought you two are closed?” Jessica said nonchalantly, “Just hurry, my chauffeur will pick us up in 2 hours.”

“I-I.. wha-what?!” I stuttered, looking incredibly stupid standing in the living room with the dress in my hand.

“It’s okay, I already informed your house that you will come with me,” Jessica added before walking to her room. Really? You have informed? Because that’s my biggest concern right now? I shouted the sarcasm on my head. You don’t really want to start a sarcasm battle with Jessica. Better save that in your head.

“Do you need help with make up?” Hyoyeon suddenly said, breaking my lost thought. She was already in jeans and casual shirt, ready to go out somewhere.

“You!” I shouted while pointing at her, “Why don’t you come with Sica! I can’t do this!”

“Well, I do not belong to that ‘elite’ society, Honey. Beside Tiffany wouldn’t be there after you marked her face in a hand-shaped red, right? Everything will be alright…”

“I don’t belong there too!” I tried to reason, which immediately made me received a disapproving look from Hyoyeon. “How did Jessica know that I am invited, anyway?”

“She had her way,” Hyoyeon chuckled, “You want me to help you or not?” she asked again.

I sighed and nodded slowly. I’m going to die young.