Side Tales - Tears

Cinderella's Stepsister

Side Tales


[Seo Joohyun, a girl of six,  came home with her first ever drawing, of a home that beautiful like a castle, and a princess in tiara, with lots of books by her side. But there were no mother to ask about her day, or father to kiss her temple, so she took a sit by the fireplace in the big big house and opened her big big book, all alone. Her parent was busy, she didn’t want to disturb them, because her mother would always said to her “Be a good girl, okay?” as she answered with a nod, and maybe, if she is nice enough, maybe her father wouldn’t smile at her like she was stranger anymore.]

“Why are you crying?” a boy asked, “Are you sick like him?” he pointed to a slightly shorter boy beside him, who then punched the taller boy’s shoulder in annoyance.

“No, I’m not…” Joohyun answered.

“Then why are you crying?” the taller asked again, “This is your birthday’s party..”

“Because I’ve been a good girl,” the little girl sobbed, “but Mom and Dad still didn’t come to here.”

“Then, we’ll be your Mom and Dad,” the shorter grinned, “how about that?”

[Seo Joohyun, a girl of ten, smiled and said “It’s alright…” as her friend lost her favorite necklace—a  very first hand-pick birthday gift from her father, who bought it a month after her actual birthday, because he never remembered the date, even when he spend million to celebrate it every year. Her friend didn’t mean to do that, and her mother would say that it was the right thing to do—back then when she came home crying after her doll being stolen by her kindergarten mate. ]

“My father wouldn’t notice whether I have it or not…” but she cried anyway, in Kyuhyun’s arm.

“You could always say if it’s not alright, Hyun.” Changmin muttered.

[Seo Joohyun, a girl of seventeen, more known as Seo Family’s Princess, Seohyun, was a beautiful young lady with a good heart, kind attitude, brilliant brain, and wonderful manner. As everyone would simply said ‘Perfect’, even though for Seohyun, that’s all she has, being a perfect daughter of Seo’s Family, that’s it. And for her mother that wasn’t enough so she left her alone. And for her father that wasn’t enough so he loved another family, another woman and another daughter.

She’s a good girl but everything got stolen from her anyway, but it’s alright, isn’t?]

“You can’t do that, Hyun!” Changmin shouted.

“What can’t she do! She didn’t do anything wrong!” Kyuhyun said in her defense.

“She spread the rumor in That Girl’s school!” Seohyun avoided Changmin furious eyes, hiding behind Kyuhyun. “How did you even found out her school is beyond me, Seo Joohyun.”

“No, it’s not a rumor when it’s the truth.” Kyuhyun raised his voice, as angry as the taller one in front of him.

Changmin breathed heavily, trying to control his anger, “You know she never ask for this either,” he then said slowly, “She is in the same place as you’re.”

“My father celebrated her birthday…” Seohyun finally spoke, voice strained in tears, “And even took her to school…”

Changmin looked away, didn’t want to look yet another tears of his beloved sister.

“I’m not alright, I’m not alright…” Seohyun cries, “You’re the one who told me to say that, right? But why are you looking away?”

[Seo Joohyun, the girl of nineteen, had two best friends, one was Shim Changmin who always guided her and Cho Kyuhyun who always by her side. Two of everything she had had left. So when Kyuhyun’s con weak heart was at it downhill, she too always stayed by his side—as strength for his weakness, holding his hand and praying so not even God could stole him from her. But maybe Changmin was the one who get stolen, as his heart was no longer beat the same.]

“I met her, Kyu,” Seohyun said to the still Kyuhyun, lying on a bed with slow and even breathe, “Her name is Sooyoung, a beautiful and nice person, she’s in our university. I hope you could meet her when you’re awake.”

“She didn’t know who I am…” she kept talking, as if Kyuhyun really listen and would answer, “I didn’t want to know who she is, so maybe, we could be friends.”

“But, everyone else knew who she is,” her hand playing Kyuhyun’s palm slowly, “and I never correct them. Just like the last time. I let it happen again, the talking…”

“Do you think Min would hate me even more?” Seohyun laughed hollowly, “He likes her, everyone would actually, strong and funny girl she is, my complete opposite.”

“Maybe I’m the Evil Stepsister one, Kyu, I just couldn’t stop hating her, a nice and kind person... I’m supposed to be the good one...”

“Kyu wouldn’t want to see you cry again, Hyun,” Changmin said, suddenly right at her side, holding a box of tissue, “and you’re not the evil one…”

Seohyun looked up to the taller man, eyes widening in surprise.

“This isn’t fairytales with protagonist and antagonist, after all…”

[Seo Joohyun, a girl of twenty, took her mother hand in between her palms, holding it tight that she wouldn’t left anymore, like every other times before, when Seohyun saw the back of her from a far. “I’m not a good girl,” Seohyun said with every courage she had, “I’m your daughter, who did both the wrongs and the rights, I’m your daughter, and you’re my only mother, so please just stay with me.” Her mother looked taken a back, and touched nevertheless, when her girl finally said things she wanted to say years ago, when she had been holding everything by herself. Her imperfect yet precious daughter.

So, she said “Yes,” over and over, kissing her lovingly and gingerly. Both mother and daughter in tears, at a hallway of hospital, but together, finally.

When she said “It’s alright,” again, she would really mean it this time.]

 

 

 


 

Notes: Of untold story that really need to be told. In my defense, it would be just fine to skip this chapter, so I give it title as a side tales, but when I think about it again, this is one of the integral part of the story... Well, the dillema. So I decided, "Sides" is for point of view that wasn't Sooyoung's. Haha. But again, I really poured my heart into Seohyun in this part, I'm rooting for her and crying with her, and wanted to kick Sooyoung's for not caring others more--Sooyoung is TOO tall, I can't kick her . Thank you, thank you for staying with me after all this time... :)