8 ǁ Competition

Split Images *Hiatus*

8 ǁ Competition

 

When you finally woke up an hour later, you opened your eyes to see that you were tucked comfortably into your bed.

 

*How did I get here?*

 

Looking over at your bedside table, the clock read '9.34pm'. You got out of bed and trudged downstairs to see Daehyun watching T.V on a low volume. Hearing your footsteps, he turned around.

 

"Hana, you're awake."

 

"Neh…" You clutched your head, feeling like there was something you were forgetting. "Ah… Daehyun, do you know how I got home?"

 

He nodded. "I drove you."

 

"You drove me?" You stared at him in surprise. "How come I can't remember…"

 

Daehyun patted the spot next to him on the couch. "Take a seat and I'll explain."

 

"Do you remember where you went after classes today?" he asked.

 

You looked up at the ceiling trying to remember. "I went to my job interview. I was hired, then I left. And then…" You felt your breath hitch in your throat as that frightening moment suddenly came back to you. The image of that horrible man flashed in your mind as you shook your head, trying to get rid of it.

 

"Hana. Hana, it's ok. Nothing happened." You felt two hands gently resting on your shoulders and looked up to see Daehyun looking genuinely worried. "I kicked that guy's and he ran away crying," he chuckled, obviously trying to get you to cheer up.

 

You cracked a little smile. "Thank you Daehyun."

 

He hesitated before saying the next line. "By the way… I met Nana."

 

Your eyebrows creased. "Nana?"

 

"Your 'other' personality… Her name's Nana. And she also told me that the two of you have separate minds but share one body."

 

Your eyes went beyond wide. "S-so… so it's not just me acting like a totally different person? It's because… it's actually another person taking over my body?" This was the first you've ever heard of anything like this.

 

Daehyun nodded. "That's what Nana said. And seeing how you can't remember anything that happens while she's out, it sounds pretty believable."

 

"Did Nana-ssi say anything else?" you curiously asked.

 

"Nope," he shook his head. *Though I can't say the same about her doing something…* His face heated up as he thought of that peck on his cheek. *Aish, why did she have to do that.*

 

"Daehyun, are you feeling warm?" You pointed to his face when he shot you a confused look. "Your face is getting red."

 

"A-ah yeah, must be the heater, aha hah ha…" He started to laugh awkwardly.

 

But you obviously didn't notice anything wrong with his behaviour. "Daehyun, I have a favour to ask of you."

 

"What is it?"

 

"The next time I become Nana-ssi, could you… could you ask her more about why we are like this? Two people trapped in one body, and why it started? Could you help me ask her?" You didn't want to trouble another person with your problems, but there was no other way since you couldn't exactly 'meet' Nana in person. The two of you shared the same body after all.

 

Daehyun flashed you a smile. "Of course I could."

 

Your face lit up with gratitude. "Thank you so much!"

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

The first thing you saw when you walked into the kitchen the next morning was a hyperactive Zelo pouncing towards you before you were engulfed in a bear hug.

 

"Oh Z-zelo-yah. G-good morning," you greeted with much difficulty.

 

"Morning Noona! Don't worry, we'll help you find out more about this Nana-noona!"

 

"Huh?" You gave Daehyun a questioning look.

 

"I told the others all about it. It's better to have all of us helping you," he smiled.

 

Yongguk peeled the youngest off of you. "We've got your back little cousin." He ruffled your hair to which you responded with a delighted smile.

 

"Hey, how come you're all smiley when Hyung does that. But when I do that, you get angry!" Daehyun complained.

 

Your cousin slung an arm over your shoulders. "Because I'm her most favourite person in the world. Isn't that right, Hana."

 

"Yep!" you laughed.

 

Himchan pouted. "Ngaww Hana-yah. I thought you liked me the best!"

 

Youngjae snorted. "Dream on."

 

A wave of answers followed.

 

"No one likes you the best."

 

"Hyung really likes lowering his maturity level."

 

"Why is he even here?"

 

"This Hyung is strange."

 

"Hey! Why so mean!" Himchan protested.

 

You giggled on seeing their little playful interaction. *I'm glad I came here and met them.*

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

The rest of the week passed by without a hitch. You went to work for the first time and although the owner could be pretty mean at times, you liked working there. Nana hadn't appeared either since that night.

 

You were in your music composition class when the performing arts coordinator suddenly came in with a surprising announcement.

 

"The performing arts board has evaluated all the audition performances and have nominated the two strongest contenders for the female lead. The reason why I have come to this class today, is because both of these students belong to this class."

 

Gasps and excited chatter filled the room as everyone tried guessing who the two were while waiting for him to announce the names. You saw Miyun shift around anxiously in her seat. You were feeling nervous too. *It can't be me… right?*

 

"These two students are Kang Miyun--"

 

Miyun let out a little shriek of happiness from her seat beside you.

 

"--and…" The coordinator's eyes swept through the whole room before landing on you.

 

"… Kim Hana."

 

You froze in your seat. *Kim Hana… that's me…"

 

"The two of you shall compete in the composition assignment which is due next week," the coordinator explained. Based on the song arrangement, lyrics writing and singing ability displayed, we will decide on a winner who will become the female lead for the upcoming play. The other student will be offered the role of the lead's shadow."

 

*C-compete?!* you repeated in your head. Turning to look at Miyun, you saw that she was looking excited and fired-up. *I have to compete with Miyun?*

 

Even as you were leaving class with Daehyun and Youngjae, the problem still clouded your mind. You let out a heavy sigh.

 

Daehyun poked your forehead. "What's wrong? Worried about the competition?"

 

You nodded your head.

 

"Just do your best and we all know you'll win," Youngjae grinned. "Yongguk-hyung says you're a talented composer. And coming from him -- a renowned underground rapper and song-writer -- it must really mean something."

 

"Yongguk's just exaggerating! I'm not that great at all…" you replied. "And besides… I don't really want to act in the play."

 

The two boys gawked at you. "Why not?!" they yelled in unison.

 

"I still have stage fright…" you meekly answered. "I can't perform in front of big groups." Feeling ashamed at this reason, you looked down and walked ahead. As much as you loved performing, you just couldn't overcome this weakness of yours.

 

"Don't give this up, Hana."

 

Your steps slowed down until you halted to a stop ahead of them.

 

"The fact that you were able to pull off such an amazing performance that day in front of the whole auditorium shows that you are overcoming this fear. Giving up now would just unwind all of that."

 

A hand reached out and turned you by the shoulders. Finally facing the owner of the voice, you saw Yoseob.

 

"S-sunbae…"

 

"We believe in your talent," Daehyun cut in, feeling slightly peeved that Yoseob had beat him to the very words he wanted to say.

 

Youngjae came and slung an arm around your shoulder. "So what do you say, Hana. You still in or what?" He held up a fist.

 

You giggled at his attempt to lighten up the mood while trying to convince you. "I'll do my best, then!" You lifted up your fist and awkwardly did a fist bump with him.

 

"All thanks to Yoseob-sunbae. He always knows what to say," Youngjae praised.

 

Yoseob just beamed at you all with that angelic smile of his.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Flying under your radar, a little 'rat' quickly scurried off after overhearing your conversation with the guys. Meeting up with two other girls, she spilled all that she heard.

 

"I don't think getting her to pull out is going to work. The boys don't want her to anyway."

 

Miyun glanced at Hyesu for a moment before diverting her gaze elsewhere.

 

"Why are Oppas so nice to her anyway?" Eunmi pouted. "What's so special about Hana?"

 

"Miyun?" Hyesu called, when she still remained quiet.

 

Suddenly, a smirk formed on her face. "Oh don't you two worry. I guess I'll just do that then."

 

=====================

 

Now why can't Miyun and her two sidekicks just go away already? Answer: because then there'll be no story :P

 

Anyway, thanks to my new subbies ^^