1 ǁ First Impressions

Split Images *Hiatus*

 

1 ǁ First Impressions

 

 

"Hello?"

 

"Yongguk-ah! How have you been?" a cheerful voice greeted through his phone.

 

"Oh, Auntie! I've been doing well. How have you and Uncle been? And how's the business going?" Yongguk asked. He was close with his aunt and uncle (who are your parents) and spoke to them rather casually for Koreans, seeing as how they lived in Australia and etiquette was different over there. But he preferred that. He liked having older family he could speak casually too. It gave a much more homely feeling, in his opinion.

 

"We've been great! And business is booming! All thanks to Hana's great taste."

 

"That's great to hear, Auntie!" Yongguk paused for a bit and cleared his throat. "So, uh, how is Hana? Have things gotten any… better?" He was the only other person outside of your immediate family who knew about your condition. Yongguk knew that you had always been shy and socially-awkward -- and the condition didn't make you any more accepted by those around you.

 

"Ah, about that Yongguk… that is why I'm calling you this time…"

 

Yongguk's eyes widened as he felt his anger surge. His hand clenched onto his phone so tightly it was dangerous. "What… did… those… pathetic excuses of humans do this time?" he growled. "If they touched even a single hair on her head, they're going DOWN I tell you! I'll fly all 14 hours across the ocean to beat their a---"

 

"Now, now Yongguk. No need to get violent," his Aunt giggled. "It's not about that. Hana has finished her first year of college here with remarkable results! So she applied for a transfer to the renowned TS Arts College in Seoul, where you live. And she has been accepted! How wonderful is that! Now you two can see each other every day!"

 

"Hana's coming to Seoul? To live? That's great! I miss that little cousin of mine." Yongguk started grinning at the thought of seeing you again. The last time he saw you in person was 5 long years ago. "Has she found a place to stay?"

 

"Yes she has. Your place!"

 

His eyes bugged open as he processed her words. "Wait, what?"

 

"What better place to stay than at your place, Yongguk! She doesn't know anyone over there and you know how much Hana loves her dear cousin. Your place is nice and spacious and comfortable. Perfect for Hana!" your mother exclaimed. "Why? Is that a problem, Yongguk?"

 

"Huh? No! Of course not!" he quickly denied. And it was true. Of course he wouldn't mind having you live with him. But… it was just that… "Uh… Auntie, the only thing is that, uh… I live with five other people. GUYS at that. And they're all around Hana's and my age."

 

"Not a problem! I know that you'll keep a good eye on her. And if those boys are living with you, then I'm sure they're decent people like you too!" she reasoned.

 

Suddenly, Himchan's face came to mind. "Uh, I wouldn't be too sure about that…" Yongguk murmured. But of course it went to deaf ears -- or rather, your mother wouldn't have it.

 

"So it's settled! Hana will stay at your place Yongguk! Thanks a bunch! I'm entrusting my baby girl to you, so take great care of her!"

 

Yongguk knew that once your mother had made a decision then it was no use arguing against her. Not that having you living in his house was a bad thing. He was happy that he would get to see you every day. "When is she coming?" he asked.

 

"Her flight should have landed… juuuuuust about… now!"

 

"WHAT?! She's already here?! And you only called me now?!" Yongguk yelled into the phone.

 

"Ei, what's with that tone? I thought you liked surprises." He was left speechless and words failed to form in his brain. "And don't worry about picking her up. That girl likes to wander around a bit first! So I've given her your address and she should get there sometime today after she's done exploring. Expect to see her luggage delivered on your doorstep before you see her actual person! Toodles now, I've got a meeting to go to. Love you!" Without even waiting for his response, your mother hung up.

 

A few minutes passed by in dumb silence as your dear cousin Yongguk stared off at nothing in particular, letting his brain recollect its thoughts.

 

"Wait, WHAT?!"

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"WHAT?!"

 

Yongguk cringed at the four loud voices simultaneously shouting that one overused word today. Yes, he told them about your arrival and that you would be staying in his house.

 

"This is my place so no complaints. If anyone doesn't like it, then pack your stuff and get out," he retorted.

 

"We're not complaining Hyung," Jongup smiled.

 

"I'm sure Noona's a very nice person!" Zelo chirped.

 

"Well, it's just that… she's a girl. Living in a house with six other guys. Not that you matter Hyung, since you're her cousin and all," Youngjae explained. "But do you really want her living under the same roof with five other guys?"

 

Yongguk sighed. "Which is why, I'm warning you guys now. Anyone do anything to her and I'll break your neck, got that?" He looked at each and every one of them with his evil eyes.

 

They all gulped and started backing away slowly with their hands up in defence. "Yep, got that! Definitely!"

 

But then Himchan fearlessly stepped forward and nudged Yongguk playfully. "Say, is your cousin pretty? I wonder if she'll be interested in me."

 

Youngjae, Jongup and Zelo held their breaths as they waited for their oldest Hyung's reaction. Not even a few seconds later, Himchan was left outside pounding on the door for them to let him back in.

 

"Aww come on Yonggukkie! I'm sorry! Let me in!"

 

Yongguk ignored him and made his way up the stairs to his room. The other three just shook their heads at their idiotic Hyung.

 

"By the way, where's Daehyun-hyung?" Jongup blinked.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Daehyun happily walked out of the convenience store with a bagful of his favourite snacks and desserts. But he didn't get very far before he heard a soft voice whimper.

 

"No… please… let me go…"

 

He turned and saw you being cornered by two gangster-looking guys. You were trembling in fear and ducked your head to hide your face with your hair. Looking closely, Daehyun could see that tears were threatening to fall from your eyes. How was a small, frail-looking girl like you going to fend off two guys? He stepped forward to help you, but stopped in his tracks when he was greeted with a very, VERY shocking sight.

 

It was like watching some martial arts action movie, where the amazing female lead with awesome fighting skills manages to beat up all her enemies without even breaking a sweat, despite being outnumbered. It didn't take very long for you to finish the two guys off with a final kick behind their knees to get them to fall in a begging position.

 

You stuck out your left thumb and pointed towards yourself with the utmost confidence. "Don’t you EVER underestimate ME, Kim Nana! You better watch your back! Now scram!"

 

Even as he saw the two guys scramble away without even a backward glance, Daehyun couldn't believe his eyes. The confident, tough girl standing a few metres away from him was nothing like that timid, innocent looking girl from just a minute ago.

 

But as soon as he saw you fling your bag over your shoulder and strut off, he scoffed.

 

"Another one of those fake girls, pretending to be timid and innocent. What a load of bull." Daehyun rolled his eyes at your back figure and made his way home.

 

"Yo, I'm back and I've got snacks!" he called.

 

"Yay! Hyung's the best!" Zelo was the first to appear with a great, big smile. The others followed after.

 

In the midst of pigging out on junk food, the doorbell rang.

 

"We expecting anyone?" Daehyun asked.

 

Yongguk got up and raced to the door. "Hana must be here!"

 

Daehyun shot the rest a confused look. "Who's Hana?"

 

"Yongguk-hyung's cousin!" Jongup answered, before running out of the room too, followed by an excited Zelo and Himchan.

 

Noticing Daehyun's still confused expression, Youngjae brought it upon himself to debrief the clueless guy. "Hyung's cousin has just come from overseas and she'll be living here with us from now on. Be nice to her and don't try anything or Yongguk-hyung will kill you. Just a heads up." He too waltzed out of the room, as all Daehyun could do was to follow him to see who this cousin was.

 

"Hana! You're here! I missed you Cousin!" Yongguk happily embraced you in a big bear hug.

 

"Yongguk-ah, I missed you too!" you laughed softly. It wasn't until the two of you let go did you notice five other guys staring at you from behind Yongguk. Immediately, you ducked your head timidly in embarrassment as you felt intimidated by the presence of people other than your cousin.

 

"Guys, meet my cousin, Kim Hana. And Hana, these are my friends, Himchan, Daehyun, Youngjae, Jongup and Junhong," Yongguk introduced.

 

"It's Zelo!" Junhong adamantly corrected.

 

"I-it's n-nice t-to m-meet-t y-ou all-l…" you stuttered, finally lifting your head a little for them to see your face.

 

As soon as Daehyun saw you, his eyes widened as he recognized you as the girl he saw earlier today. *Her?! She's Yongguk-hyung's cousin?!* He began to glare at you with suspicion. Noticing an intense glare directed towards you, you looked up at Daehyun and quickly ducked your head again when you met eyes with his blazing ones.

 

*Kim Hana, did Hyung say?* he thought. *I swear I heard her yell Kim Nana before…*

 

 

==========================

 

 

And the first chapter is up :D 

Like the title suggests, first impressions -- on the part of Daehyun, that is, haha. 

Thanks to my subscribers for subscribing! Peace.