Chapter Four

With You Came Doubt, Eventually Regret
Ji Yong adjusted his hat for the fifth time; making sure that it was perfectly placed. He glanced at his door when he heard the handle turn. 
 
"Overalls?" Young Bae asked as he stared at Ji; eyebrows raised in amusement. He laughed when he couldn't hold it in any longer; clutching at the sides of his stomach.
 
" you, Bae.  I think they're cool; found them with the clothes I brought over. I can't believe I forgot I had them. I know they're different but, I'm only going to meet with Seungri so it doesn't really matter" Ji Yong replied confidently as he moved to the end of his bed.
 
"If you say so” Young Bae said retreating behind the door of his friends’ room just before a pillow could catch his face. If he was truthful, he’d have to admit that overalls looked good on Ji Yong. He felt that if he, himself, tried to pull off overalls he’d look ridiculous.
 
Ji Yong inspected himself before the mirror one last time. Bae he loved these overalls. He wasn't, not going to wear them because his friend laughed at him. What surprised him was that Bae didn’t bring up or ask about his meet with Seungri. He expected his best friend to lecture him on the importance of good decisions and acquaintances. Ji Yong was glad because he was already going to be late and he didn’t feel like going through Bae’s lengthy attempts at persuading him to do this and not that.
 
 
Ji Yong was a few minutes late but he was sure Seungri would not mind. He had the face of a man with patience; something that Ji Yong related to older people who’d experienced life already. It was as if he knew that being impatient would gain him nothing. He was a bit too "business man like" for Ji Yong and that irked him to an extent. It was a bit creepy considering he was younger than Ji Yong yet he seemed like someone Ji Yong would formally greet at a job interview.
 
"Sorry I'm a bit late,” Ji Yong said to the smiling Seungri.
 
“Don’t worry, I knew you'd be so, I was a bit late myself." 
 
Ji Yong sat across him playing with the corner of a napkin he decided to grab after a while of silence. Whatever it was Seungri had to offer; he wanted to know. But the boy just took to staring at him.
 
“So, what do you want to talk about?" Ji Yong asked finally breaking the long silence. 
 
"Do you want something to drink?" Seungri asked a slight smirk graced his face as if he knew he was irritating Ji Yong.
 
“No," he wanted to get this over with. He wanted Seungri to cut the crap and be straight forward. Apparently Seungri also read minds because his "want" came in the next sentence that left his lips. 
 
“Ji Yong I want you in the band, even if it’s just for some time." 
 
Ji Yong stopped playing with his napkin, “I think we already talked this over. It was a one-time deal." 
 
“I know but think about it.  The band likes you and that in itself is rare. Seungho keeps asking about you too." 
 
That wasn't it Ji Yong knew. There had to be a reason why Seungri kept insisting on him joining.
 
"Come on we're not that bad. I know the rumors that follow the band but it isn't like that. They are like family unless you get on their wrong side. And, Even then TOP and Soo Hyuk will most likely just confront you then give you a cold shoulder. The only rowdy one is Seungho. And he seems to like you. "
 
"I don't want to be tied down to a band especially this band. They don't have the same goal I do. Besides even if they did, joining a band isn’t what I have planned."
 
“I know; that's why I offered you to come in as a temporary replacement. To tell you the truth I'd rather have you as a permanent member but, if that's not possible I'll take what I can. If what you want is exposure then you'll get it with this band. It'll give you a better starting point than where you are now." 
 
Ji Yong leaned forward to look straight into Seungri’s eyes " have you told them your plan to make me a temporarily member?" Ji Yong emphasized the temporarily part. If the band was as close as Seungri said it to be they would not like the idea.
 
"No, and I'd like to keep it between us. I know this shouldn't be kept a secret but they wouldn't accept it otherwise. The band has a strong sense of unity and they would feel betrayed. They also have the dream of doing their own thing and succeeding without the big labels. They dream of free music without the limitations that labels put on artists or becoming something they aren't. If they were to know that, a big label is exactly your goal, they would never agree based on your motive. That's why I'm going to have to ask you to pretend to be a permanent member."
 
“I still don't understand why you want me. What exactly do you think will happen if I accept to come in as a temporary member and they find out later? You know that eventually I'll leave the band. Then what?" 
 
“You’re talented but beyond that, you have a motive. I was hoping that with you in the band they would open their eyes and realize that it isn't all about music they can't survive off roughly a fifty each a night. They have to realize that signing onto a label might be the best thing. I wish to make their dreams come true but they don't let me. Do you understand? I don't know if that  is would happen but I'm hoping that by then they will be willing to strive for music not only as a dream but a way to make ends meet. Maybe they will look at you and see what they could strive for. However the opposite might be what happens they might hate you and me both for lying. They might resent the idea of a label even when it seems attainable. That was never their goal in the first place. I only want what is best for us in the long run.  " 
 
“In other words, you hope to land them a deal too, without them knowing you're looking for one at first.  You think that They might want a deal after I join in? Why? Do you actually believe that I could change their minds? Because I don't; you could still find someone else, you know." 
“Technically speaking yes I could find someone else. But it wouldn't be the same.  I think that with your ambition they might see the bigger picture. Can’t help but feel that it's either you or no one. You work well with the band. I hadn't seen them perform like they did with you in months." 
 
"You mean since Daesung? “Ji Yong grew more curious as he saw Seungri’s face darken slightly. He still was curious about many things why did they kick Daesung out for example." Why was he kicked out?"
 
“Yes, since Daesung.” 
 
Ji Yong expected an explanation but one look into Seungri’s darkened eyes was all it took to know he wasn't getting one. “Anyways that's all I wanted to say. I know you won't become a permanent member but I was hoping you'd stay with us for a while. You know where practice is. If you show, I'll take that as you accepting. I don't know how this'll work but we'll adjust as we go, that is, if you accept"
 
Seungri turned his eyes to his watch, “what do you know, I have to go, I'm sorry, Ji Yong.
Ji Yong sat there contemplating his options. It was only until the waiter asked if he was ordering anything else that he realized that Seungri left, bill and all. Ji Yong gave a disbelieving laugh as he took one of his last twenties out.
And He still didn't know the name of the band...
 
 
 
 Fifteen minutes, fifteen minutes until practice started and he had to make a decision. He wasn't far from the place but he was still weighing the cons and pros. He looked up to the sky and mentally asked for a sign.
 
He wondered closer just in case the distance would bring an answer. He could see the place up front. He turned around deciding it wasn't convenient to be seen so close. This was a big decision. On one side he would get exposure on the other he was going to be lying to a band that he wasn't sure wouldn't kill him. He turned the corner deciding to give up and go home. It certainty wouldn't be his last opportunity he'd somehow find another. But, before another step he came face to face with a black t-shirt  at its center was a yellow diamond, the words dead end directly in front of him. Ironically he got his sign after all. It was kind of creepy really.
 
"Kwon are you okay, practice starts in about five minutes come on I knew you'd come" Seungho gave him a smile.
 
Even stranger was the fact that Seungho decided to wear a t-shirt today of all days.
 
"Um-," Ji Yong didn't get to form a response because Seungho had already turned him around and started dragging him to practice.
He walked down the railings to the door for the basement. He would have made a run for it but Seungho was behind him. The words dead end taunted him when he glanced back. He looked up at the sky and sighed. He wasn't going to ask it for any more signs anytime soon. He reached for the door knob and opened the door. When he failed to move inside he received a slight push from behind.
 
“are you sure you're all right" Seungho said with slight concern. 
 
“Yeah" he managed to reply. 
 
Seungri and Soo Hyuk were staring at them as soon as they stepped in; Seungri more specifically at him  with a slight smirk gracing his face. Ji Yong couldn't help but, glare at him. The malicious thought of ousting him in front of the band by telling them Seungri’s plan crossed his mind. That would definitely wipe the smugness off that face. He wasn't evil though they had agreed that if he showed up it meant the deal was on. As much as he wanted to he didn't really like the idea of going back on his word. So he it up. It wasn't as if this was the most horrible thing, minutes ago he had been contemplating it. It wasn't so bad he tried convincing himself as he received a nod of acknowledgement from Soo Hyuk.
 
"Look who I found on my way to practice," Seungho said as he smiled brightly.
 
It took Ji Yong a good few minutes to realize he didn't have a guitar. He was about to announce it to the band when a hand was placed on his shoulder. “Here you can use TOPs for today" Seungho said as he handed it over.
 
"Are you sure about that?" Soo Hyuk asked as he sighed, " you know how TOP is about his stuff sometimes."
Ji Yong looked down at the guitar with slight panic.
 
“Don’t worry he won't even notice “Seungho added reassuring him. 
 
Ji Yong looked up to see Seungho staring at him expectantly. Ji Yong had no choice he started to strum the guitar adjusting it on his lap. He would just have to make sure he left it in absolutely perfect condition.
 
He paused his strumming to ask, “where’s TOP anyways?"
Seungri spoke from the back, "TOP is a busy person. He tries to come in as much as he can but, today he called and said he couldn't."
They went through the songs switching from Soo Hyuk and Ji Yong sing TOPs parts. Surprising even himself, Ji Yong didn't sound half as bad as he thought he would when singing certain songs. His voice was a bit different but, not bad?
 
As if reading his mind Soo Hyuk spoke with his deep voice, “that was pretty good."
 
They wrapped up Ji Yong being extra careful with the leader’s guitar, Seungho replacing the t-shirt he took off, and Soo Hyuk silently watching them.
 He was so careful with the guitar he even took the time to clean any smudges he left. He said good bye and walked in the direction of Bae’s apartment.
Bae was going to have a great time yelling at him over his choices in life...