Chapter Twelve

With You Came Doubt, Eventually Regret

 Seung Hyun was lying back staring at him. It almost made him self-conscious that the other had been watching him . He moved away from that thought and closed his eyes leaning back letting the feeling of relaxation overcome him.

Through his daze he could hear the other shuffling around and pulling up his jeans. Ji Yong knows he should be doing the same. They have practice today and although he locked the door he doubts he wants to be caught in his current state.

“I-”
He hears the other say from his chair. Ji Yong opened his eyes and acknowledged him but the other doesn’t say anything he isn’t even looking at him. After a while of silence ji Yong reaches for his shirt to clean himself. He does his best with the shirt then tucks himself away.  He stood placing himself directly in front of Seung Hyun. “What?”

There is no answer but his leader does look at him with an expression that hurts ji Yong. He isn’t being reproachful nor is he blaming ji Yong. Instead he looks confused and wounded, like he just committed a terrible mistake, and Ji Yong is that mistake
"Look, Seung Hyun, don't be like that. Don't feel bad about something we both wanted. This doesn't have to be complicated. I consider you one of my closest friends; I was just helping you out." 

There's a longer silence after that and Ji Yong still doesn't know what the right thing to say is.
The feeling of discomfort ji yong had at not getting a response turned to anger.  His legs carried him away from seunghyun and towards the door.  He tossed his soiled shirt in the trash. A bitter  laugh escaped him as he turned to Seung Hyun before opening the door, “You can't tell me you were thinking about Daesung." 

They both know he wasn't.

"Ji Yong"

And ji Yong stops; expecting rage perhaps or maybe Seung Hyun finally realized that if someone's at fault its ji Yong. He turns back to his leader but be doesn’t receive any hateful words or reproachful looks. He finds himself catching a jacket; Seung Hyuns' jacket.

Ji Yong looks down at his bare chest and sighs at his stupidity lets out a quiet thanks before letting the studio door close behind him

The wind blows against ji Yong as he opens the door making him shiver. He zips Seung Hyuns jacket all the way up glad that his stupidity didn’t win out. It wasn’t just the fact that it was cold out, it was also the disapproving looks from people he most likely would have gotten that really makes him appreciate Seung Hyuns jacket. It is not strange to see the occasional shirtless jogger but ji Yong’s no jogger.

He was not far from the bands practice place when he heard someone approach him. Daesungs’ eyes immediately fall on the jacket.

“Can we talk?”

Ji Yong watches the man’s eyes move from Seung Hyuns jacket to him.

Ji Yongs amused expression disappears as frustration starts to set in, “sorry can’t, I’m in a hurry. Maybe later.”

“Do you know why I left the band? I was-”

“Don’t bother, Seung Hyun clarified that the other night, don’t you remember? He said he kicked you out. I’ve really got to go. How did you even know where I was?”

“That’s not the truth. I was causing them harm, they might not have been aware but I was. So, I left. But, I think you are already aware of that. ” he looked down at Seung Hyuns jacket briefly as if wanting ji Yong to confirm.

“ Daesung, whatever happened before I was a part of the band isn’t my business however, if the members talk to me about it that’s fine. I don’t know why you’re telling me this. I think it’s clear after the other night where each of us stands. It was ridiculous thinking we could be friends.”

“Look, I’ll take you where you need to go just let me speak”

A part of ji Yong didn’t want to hear it. He wanted to stay angry and feel justified. He didn’t want to resent Daesung because he had been in a relationship with Seung Hyun he wanted it to be because he was betrayed. He wanted to believe that Daesung simply didn’t care about their friendship and that his showing up with Jae was proof. But he also looked at Dae and thought of the friend who would smile at him and welcome him in his conversations. They weren’t the sharing type but there had been some sort of understanding that if they were in a tight situation they could call each other. They weren’t the best of friends but they were friends enough for Daesung want to explain to him what happened and have that right.

However, now wasn’t the best of times. It was a risk. What if he could sense what he had been doing with Seung Hyun minutes ago? What if ji Yong said something that his leader would reproach him for saying. Seung Hyun is still in love with Daesung after all.

“Please” the look the other gave him swayed his resolve.

“Fine, take me to Young Baes I need to be back in time for practice with the others”

Ji Yong avoided looking at the other and instead focused on the world beyond Daesungs small gray truck

“I didn’t want to hurt them so I left. I thought that if I left it would hurt them less than if I stayed. They didn’t like my girlfriend and that, in itself, was causing problems not only between the band members but between me and her. I thought it was the easiest way.”
Ji Yong didn’t need the same story he got from Seung Hyun from Daesung. The last thing he wanted was to see through Daesung perspective; to understand why he did what he did.

“Why are you telling me this? I already told you that I don’t care to know. ” 

“Because when Jae asked how I knew you and I said you were a very good friend of mine he lost it. He said many things I didn’t quite believe and then he said that you would probably destroy Seung Hyuns band too. I’ve known you for a long while and none of what he said could have been true but, the way he spoke about you, he couldn’t he so angry if nothing happened. So I wanted to know-”

ji Yongs patience was growing thin ,“So, what? You decide to confront me and find out if it’s true? Jeez, you could have just called me. instead; you show up and try to drag me in front of the band.”

“-And you didn’t deny that you broke up their band.  Yes, I was wrong and I'm sorry,  but I need to know if what jae said was true. As a friend perhaps I was wrong too. I didn’t ask about many things that I should have and worst of all I didn’t ask you directly. I found out things that made me feel like I was being invasive. It made me feel even worse because a part of our friendship was built on a ‘don’t ask personal questions and I won’t either’ mentality.

“What were you told?”

“He told me about your uality -”

“What a shocker,” ji Yong added sarcastically although, annoyed that Jae would go as far as disclosing this information. 
“-and that you were a couple before the band was formed. That when you guys broke up you left the band without even telling them why.”

“It isn’t that hard to guess why, tell Jae he’s an and he knew perfectly well why I left,” ji Yong smiles turning to the other; If they wanted someone to blame he would give it to them. “You know it’s funny, as time goes by I find it harder and harder to feel bad about what I did. I spent as long as I could in that band trying to keep myself together with the thought that at least Jae still wanted me as a friend, that I was still a part of the band and they supposedly needed me.”

“He didn’t quite explain to me how you broke up their band. He just said you were selfish and cruel.”

“It’s true I broke up their band and yes I am selfish and I suppose I was a bit cruel. What do you want from me? What do you want me to say?”

Ji yong looked at Daesung daring him to say otherwise. Daring him to try to come up with an excuse for him because the Daesung he knew perhaps would. He didn’t.

“let me elaborate. So after trying to endure the presence of my ex boyfriends new lover in a band we had created together I left. I left because, after confronting Jae about his new boyfriend’s behavior I was constantly shut down. I couldn’t bring myself to tell him my biggest issue was that he was letting himself be lied to. He wouldn’t listen to anything I had to say about him anyways. Long time after leaving I joined the band he hated and released a song  where I told him everything he needed to know about his new lover. With that one song I ,supposedly, was able to end that band. I didn't think that it would go as far as two members leaving but in the end I'm glad it happened.”

“you joined Seung hyuns band for revenge?

Ji yong took a deep breath unsure if dae would understand what he was about say, “ yes and no. I joined that one time for revenge. Then when that stage was over I was asked to join and I said yes. Revenge has nothing to do with me deciding to stay in the band.”
“does Seung hyun know?” The other man asks as he parks his car.

Ji yong looked away from the blurred street line and back to his supposed friend, “what does it matter to you? You’re not a part of Seung Hyuns band anymore, you walked out on them. Before I joined this band I asked if it mattered to you, your response was that it didn’t. if you had said something then perhaps I wouldn’t have joined but, now -"

"You have to tell him. I left the band so that their problems would end. This could harm them too.”

"Ji Yong laughs a little because Daesungs concern infuriates him, " you already chose your girlfriend over the band what difference does it make to you?"

 Daesung doesn't answer his question but ji Yong knows he has hit a sore spot," you have too tell them, if you let it go further you'll only hurt them more." 

" you know, the good thing about my band is that they too don't ask many questions. Just the other day when I was telling Seung hyun about my relationship with Jae he said I didn't have too." Ji Yong opened the cars door to get out, " I guess what I'm trying to say is this shouldn't concern you. And next time you call Bae let him know we talked so he can stop tormenting me."