English

Broken Puppet

Kris is an empty person. He's lost in his own world now. He's too far gone to reach. He doesn't even bother hiding the fact that he's hallow. All his friends see it, the whole school knows it, but it makes no difference to him. He couldn't care less. Of course, his friends are worried about him. Luhan, Lay, Xiumin and Chen all look at him with worry. Even his friends from other classes know that he's not alright. But whatever words they try to use, whichever method they try to use to understand what's going through Kris' mind is futile. He won't answer them.

It began at the beginning of highschool, when he realized a certain boy had made his appearance in the school. He knew that face all too well. Kris knew from his defined features and shadowed eyes that the boy was someone so dear to him. Yet this boy was lost to him as well. Kris got worse after that. After he realized that the boy couldn't recognize him. After Kris tried to talk to him, and the boy immediately flinched away from him. Kris was broken from his actions. He stopped trying a while ago.

Kris tries to move on. He tries to keep his mind on other things like rapping or dancing or playing basketball. He needs to hide away in his interests, and bury himself deep into them, so he has no chance to think of anything...anyone else. He still hasn't told his friends. Till this day, they still don't know that Kris is in such pain because of the one boy. They have no clue as to why Kris has become so introverted. He would never share that information with anyone actually, because Kris wonders why he cares so much himself. Deep down, he knows the answer, but he's not willing to accept it.

He watches the boy from afar. He's grown up so much, Kris thinks. Yet, the boy's movements remain familiar to Kris, it's something he could never forget even if he tried. During the rare times the boy speaks, Kris almost punches through a wall. How can someone be the same as they used to be when they were just a child? And yet he can't even remember him? Kris didn't know how to let go of his frustration.

"Kris." Said boy snaps out of his daydreaming and looks at his teacher. She has a very unamused face, with stern eyebrows flexing inwards. "I'd like it if you focused in my class. I understand this might bore you, but your concentration will encourage other students." Kris mumbles an apology. It's half-hearted but he doesn't mean to be so rude. This is the only class where he's with the boy.

"Now, Tao, please recite the next few lines." Tao stumbles a little through his English, it was never his strong point. Kris carelessly reads along, pronouncing the words correctly in his mind. He takes note of the subject in his textbook, because he knows he has to recite it to the students later. It's part of the catching up program for English. His job is to help others. Although, that isn't his motive by joining this class.

"The s-sun set-tled dawn." Nostalgia tugs sharply at Kris' heart and he stares at the window. Breaking glass has never been so tempting to him. He tries to drone Tao out before he engulfs him with that high pitched and accentuated voice. He vaguely hears the teacher correcting Tao, but Kris is too far gone again.

I'd only end up with a bruised and cut up fist, Kris tries to convince himself.

 

11 years earlier...

Kris manages to beat Tao and his mom back home. Kris' long legs move fluidly yet mechanically through the shorter route he chose to use. It's a dirtier route than the one Tao and his mother takes, but Kris is on a mission, and he plans to accomplish it. He gets mud on his sneakers, but it's nothing a garden hose can't get rid of.

In stark contrast to the carelessness he shows by running, he hugs the plush panda flat on his chest. He tries to protect it from getting dirty, and clutches it to ensure he won't drop it. He can't wait to see Tao's face when he gives him his present.

Kris gets to their house first. He's panting and wheezing a little, but nothing at this point in time can wipe away his grin. He chucks off his muddy sneakers that squelch as they drop on the porch, but he decides he can take care of it later. Now it's all a waiting game for Tao to get back.

...

When Tao sees his house in view, he notices something strange. There is a figure on his porch. Not just any figure, but it's someone very familiar to Tao. The figure's head pops up and the figure scrambles around.

"Kris! There you are." Tao's mom gives a warm smile. She's a kind woman, and Kris had always secretly preferred her to his own mother.

"Sorry I left without saying goodbye." He bows to Tao's mom, who playfully scolds him that he doesn't need to bow to her.

"You two head on upstairs, I'll be working in the office so please try not to be noisy ok?" She ruffles Tao's hair and gives another smile before walking through the house door. Kris gives Tao a lopsided grin. Tao only returns it with a small 'hmph' and walks past him through the door. Kris shakes his head, grabbing the panda from it's hiding spot on the porch and follows Tao upstairs. "Tao, I have a present for you!" Kris sings when they reach Tao's room.

"It won't be as good as the panda in the shop." Though Tao's back is facing Kris, Kris knows that Tao is pouting with his arms crossed around his chest.

"Are you sure about that?" He teases him. "Stupid Kris gege. Now someone else has the panda."

"Mmm, but maybe if little Tao would turn around, he might get the panda?" Kris gives a knowing smile, expecting the boy to turn around any second now. And he does. Tao's eyes glow with excitement and joy. He bounds over to Kris and clutches the panda to his chest. He's full of elation and happiness, it's something Kris prays will never fade away.  

"Thank you so much, gege!" Tao immediately follows it up with a giant hug going Kris' way. Kris makes sure to remember this moment, and capture it with his mind. Because the face Tao is making right now is the one he never wants to forget.

"It's ok, Taozi." Kris gives a warm smile and hugs the boy tighter.

"This is called a 'panda', right?" Tao beams, trying to impress Kris with his small knowledge on English. Kris holds himself back from bursting out laughing because of Tao's pronounciation. Instead, he fixes his face with a completely shocked expression.

"Wow, Zitao! That's really good! Correct! Well done." Kris ruffles Tao's hair.

How have you not gotten any better at English?