MAMA-Bonus Chapter

Broken Puppet

 

"H-hey, Mom?"
 
Kris rubs his thumb over the shaking boy's hand, trying to calm down his nerves. It had been another week full of school and friends, and whilst it had almost been enough to make Tao forget about his stepfather, it wasn't enough to make him forget his mom. After all, he still loved her even though she'd changed and abandoned him because of work. Tao hasn't quite forgiven her for that. But he hopes she might revert back to the mother that she used to be when he was little. Then again, maybe he just had to grow up. Kris assures him otherwise. 
 
"Tao? Is that you?" Kris wonders whether Tao's mother had really changed all that much. He doesn't doubt Tao, but his mother's voice has not changed one bit since he'd last heard it. Tao had quickly pressed the button to make the call go to loudspeaker; not daring to face this call on his own. Kris then gently presses an assuring kiss to Tao's temple, telling him he's doing the right thing. 
 
"Yeah, Mom. It's me." Tao almost sighs out in relief. It's been too long since he'd talked to his mom, and he never realized just how much he missed her. He's thankful that he never grew spiteful towards her (even if he had reason to) and only towards his stepdad.
 
"What's wrong? Did something happen?!" Tao's mom quickly panics and Tao spirals into a state of confusion. He can't believe how much his mom sounds like the caring woman she used to be, not the neglective person that had left him with an absuive stepdad. Tao doesn't want to believe that his mother's changed for the better, he might just get his hopes up. And that's the last thing he wants. 
 
"Uh, kinda." Tao grimaces. Kris practised what he would say with him but now the words have just evaporated like mist into the thick air. Tao is lost for any words at all, and just doesn't know what to say. How to explain. How to speak. 
 
"Use your words." Kris murmurs huskily into Tao's ear, making sure he couldn't be detected in the phone call. He holds Tao's hand tighter in encouragement. It seems to work. 
 
"I moved out of the house." There. He said it. But as soon as the words are out, Tao wants to take them back. What happened to letting her ease into the idea? What happened to slowly explaining things? Tao, you idiot!
 
"What?" There's a thick silence in what can only be assumed as shock coming from the other end of the line. Kris can't help but to smile and chuckle lowly at Tao's mistake and the younger boy's back. 
 
"It was growing too much, Mom." Tao says. The words are right there at the tip of his tongue now. Nestled right between his lips and teeth, ready to be spewed out into the open air. Abuse. Violence. Bruises. Pain. Depression. So many words that it's too overwhelming this time. Tao can't get it out all at once or even one at a time. Tao keeps choking on his own words because how can he explain all of this to his mother when they haven't talked in a few years? When they've barely seen each other since Tao started highschool. 
 
"What did he do?" It's a small whisper. Almost like the wind in the trees, trying to send brief messages in the breeze. Warning about the calm right before the storm. 
 
"I-He..." Tao continues to stutter, unable to form anything to say. What is there to say? His mom knew well enough what had happened in that household, what her husband was capable of. She knew how irrational his wrath and yet she did nothing about it right from the beginning. But she knows. And Tao knows that she knows. And the question remains unanswered aloud, but answered in her own mind. 
 
Kris places a hand on Tao's shoulder, nodding at him to take his time. Kris whispers to him that Tao should just continue on about how he's made new living arrangements and how Tao's mom shouldn't go home. Kris nudges Tao's face with his own and gives one of those warm smiles that are only for Tao's eyes. 
 
"I'm living with my friend now, Mom. Don't go home, okay? Just stay where you have been." Tao tells her as efficiently as he can. How he wished he could see her face to face and just talk to her like a mother and a son. Just tell her everything and let her comfort him and apologize. But the chances of that happening is slim to none. And Tao doubts he'll be able to forgive her for what she's indirectly put him through. 
 
"I-I have to go now." Tao breaks the silence on the other end and moves his finger to end the call. He can't take the silence anymore. He can't take this distance between him and his mother. She's the only one left after his biological father lost contact with them. 
 
"Wait!" There's a screech and then a sob from the phone. Tao's hand freezes and his eyes widen. He listens to the soft crying on the other end and his heart breaks a little. His eyes begin to tear up and he quickly wipes them. Kris remains silent but wraps his arm around Tao and rubs his side--offering his quiet support. 
 
"I-I'm sorry." There's another sob. Tao stares at the phone's screen with shock on his face. He never thought he'd hear it. "I've failed as a mother...I should have left him a long time ago. I am so sorry, Tao. This is all my fault for being so selfish. I love you so much, Taozi." 
 
The call ends. Tao stays frozen, eyes locked with his phone's screen that has turned into the vibrant colors of his home screen. The call ended. Tao didn't even touch the button. 
 
"Do you want to call her back?" Kris breaks the silence and speaks freely into Tao's ear. Kris doesn't like how Tao's frozen up in his hold and how he's being unresponsive. It's a cause for alarm. Kris shakes Tao ever so gently, just enough to snap Tao out of his trance. 
 
"No." Tao finally replies after his mind swirls with empty nothings that fill all the space in his head. Calling his mom back didn't seem like a choice and he has a feeling that she wouldn't pick up anyways. It didn't feel right to try and revisit such an overwhelming call when even he hasn't recovered from it. 
 
At least his mind is at peace. His mom is sorry for what she did. So she cares. She actually cares. 
 
A smile forms on Tao's lips at the thought. 
 
Kris spies the younger boy's sudden change in mood and lights up. He's glad he talked Tao into making the phone call. 
 
"She cares, Kris. She actually cares." 
 
"I know."
 
Tao flings himself into Kris' welcoming arms and gives him a tight hug. 
 
"Thank you for talking me into it." 
 
Kris just chuckles and nestles his face into Tao's neck. 
 
...
 
The following week passes by leisurely. Tao keeps revisiting the memory of calling his mom in his mind, and though he hates how she cried because it makes him miserable, the memory made him happy. Because the mom that he just spoke to is the one that actually shows emotion--the one that cares. And that's enough to put a smile on Tao's face. 
 
On Wednesday, when Kris and Tao are driving home, Tao's phone starts ringing in his pocket. Kris stops laughing, lets him answer the phone, and focuses his attention on actually driving. 
 
"Hello?" Tao doesn't even bother to look at the caller ID. It would just be Luhan or Xiumin or something, right?
 
"Taozi." 
 
"Mom?" Tao's eyes widen and he quickly puts it on loudspeaker. He doesn't like facing things alone, especially now that he doesn't have to. Kris gives Tao this look that he follows up with a smile, trying to calm Tao down. 
 
"I just called to let you know that I called the police. We've got the neighbours as a witness and everything. He's been arrested for abuse. You can come home." Her voice sounds hoarse as if she's been crying so hard that her vocal chords aren't working properly for the moment. And she has been crying hard enough for that to happen. Tao hates how upset she sounds. 
 
The words process in his head and Kris'. Kris is happy about it, smugly telling himself that the guy had it coming. The bastard deserves it and should be locked up for the rest of his life for making Tao's miserable. Tao feels relief, like justice has finally been served in his previous living nightmare. The nightmare stopped after he moved in with Kris, but Tao (being the over-thinker he is) worried about the repurcussions of fleeing the house. Now he doesn't have to. 
 
"Thank you." Tao whispers sincerely. She called the police on him. She actually did it. The mere act alone is enough for Tao to think he can forgive her in time. After so long of not believing he'd be able to, this just might be enough to make him change his mind. 
 
"Don't say that, Sweetheart. It's something I should've done a long time ago." 
 
Kris smiles at Tao smiling. Kris guesses that things will finally be mended between them and he only hopes their relationship will be back to normal. Tao loves his mother very much, and it's mutual even if Tao's mother had a rough patch and forgot it. 
 
"W-would you come home, Tao?" She asks hesitantly and everything goes quiet. She can hear Tao's breathing through the phone and her heart runs rampant while she waits for a response. 
 
Tao looks at Kris in the eyes but they say nothing to one another. Kris doesn't want to hold Tao back. But Tao doesn't want to inconvenience Kris. They don't speak through words. Kris grabs Tao's hand from the other side of the dashbaord. I'm okay with whatever you decide to do. I'll understand. 
 
"I-" Tao pauses. Tao doesn't want to go back to his blank and lonely house. It was never really 'home'. Home was the old and cozy house back in the suburbs of his old town where Kris could climb through the windows by his backyard. Home was his room full of toys and his beloved panda settled on his bedsheets. Home was homecooked meals at six o'clock with his mom; talking about school and work. Home was playing around with Kris. Home was with Kris. Home was always with Kris. Home is always with Kris. 
 
"I can't, Mom. I just...I'm more comfortable here. I don't-I just can't go back to that house." Tao grabs Kris' hand and squeezes tight, needing support. Kris gladly squeezes back; so thankful that he's staying. Kris would never tell Tao, but the thought of the younger boy leaving him made his heart hurt and his fists clench. He never wants to be apart from him. He loves Tao living at his house. The lonely and empty house that Kris hated. But as soon as Tao moved over, it had never felt more homey. 
 
"I-I see. I understand. I love you, Tao. A million apologies won't cut it. I love you." His mom sniffles and heaves out a breath. 
 
"I love you too." Tao ends the call. The words escaped him before he had a chance to even comprehend what he was saying. But he meant it. He can't deny that. 
 
Tao breathes a sigh of relief just as Kris rolls into the driveway. Kris parks and shifts the gear before capturing Tao and burying his face into Tao's neck. 
 
"I'm so glad you're staying." Kris backs away and sits back in the driver's seat, not one breaking eye contact. 
 
"Me too. You're my home, Kris. You always will be."
 
"You've always been my home, Tao. That will never change."
 
Kris leans in and Tao closes his eyes as their lips touch. 
 
This is home. 
 
 
Fin~
 
 
A/N: So I know I put the story as complete but this is just a bonus chapter coz I'm really gonna miss this story, and someone asked about Tao's mom :) 
 
I really hope you guys enjoyed the story, thank you so much for reading, subscribing, commenting. Some of you even upvoted! So thank you for that :3
 
Follow me on tumblr for Tao/Taoris goodness at pandataozibear.tumblr.com
You can send me prompts and messages and anything you like ^-^
 
One last thing, I have a new story that I'm co-authoring. It's a Taoris story so I'd love it if you guys would support us! The link is here: 
 
http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/518813/to-fight-doesn-t-mean-to-break-up-angst-romance-baekhyun-taoris-fight
 
Okay, so that's all folks! Thank you so much, I'll miss you guys a lot <3