Courage

Broken Puppet

*Read with listening to 'Don't Go' on repeat. How fitting ;) hahaha'

By the time a single week is over, Tao and Kris are both used to living together. Actually, it took them only a few days to get used to it, and they were used to being together just like old times. Though neither of them would say it aloud, they were both ecstatic to grow close again and feel like they can trust someone.

Kris brings Tao out for food and to shop for new clothes regularly, they both enjoy the time they spend together. Kris knew that he'd have to go to Tao's house to get some things that Tao definitely needs and couldn't be bought. There was no way in hell that he'd let Tao go back because it was just too dangerous for him. So Kris opted to go in alone and hoped things ran smoothly. The plan worked because they timed it right. They waited for Tao's stepdad to walk out of the house before Kris went and packed a suitcase full of everything and anything Tao needed.

Now Tao is living contently in Kris' house, sleeping in the guest room that Tao immediately loved more than his own at his old house. He can't say that he's grown comfortable with the idea of living with Kris, only because of the fact that he feels like he's intruding. But other than that, he's completely relaxed with Kris now…even with numerous kisses planted on his lips per day, neither of them really questions it so kissing each other becomes rather normal.

Yet, they weren't exactly an item. Kris is too proud to admit his feelings for Tao, because let's face it: the great Kris Wu just couldn't fall in love with anyone. He didn't even know his ual orientation had taken a spin.

Tao is too scared to admit his feelings for Kris, because even though they're constantly kissing and being intimate, the thought of screwing up their relationship frightens him too much. At least right now, their acts of intimacy can be brushed aside as just being playful or mucking around, that's okay for now because they're both comfortable with the way they are. But sooner or later, someone's gonna want more, they're just biding their time at the moment.

Kris and Tao always go to school together driving around in Kris' car. So far, none of their friends have seen them arrive together and that was a good thing in a sense that there won't be much ruckus. But in case their friends did see them arrive together, they've already come up with a fake story so that no one knows about Tao's stepdad. Which is good, seeing as they'll need to use that fake story soon.

"Is that Tao and Kris arriving in the same car?" Kris hears Chen's voice first and he knows that the thunder is approaching. He steals a quick glance at Tao in the passenger seat, and they nod at one another, already prepared for what they're going to say.

"It is!" Chen exclaims loudly, grabbing the attention of the other three boys.

"Neh, maybe they're just carpooling?" Xiumin asks a little dumbfounded.

"That doesn't make sense, Tao lives like right next to the school." Luhan disagrees. All four of them bound towards Kris and Tao, a full interrogation about to take place.

"Hey guys." Kris waves curtly and they all greet him impatiently. Tao walks shyly next to Kris' side and greets his friends as well.

"So how come you and Tao arrived together?" Luhan asks, straight to the point as always. The other boys were wasting their time coming up with an appropriate question for the situation, but their time thinking really isn't needed since they have Luhan as a friend.

"He's living with me." Kris answers plainly.

The boys erupt into a commotion, all of them almost tripping over each other in shock. They weren't expecting that. Actually, last they heard was Tao and Kris reunited and became close again, now they're living together?! None of them could really believe it.

"How come?" Xiumin is the first to ask and the other boys come closer to hear the answer as well.

"Tao's house is being fumigated, so I offered for him to stay at my place." Kris shrugs casually, actually managing to pull off this lie this time. After how many times he's practiced with Tao, it'd be shameful for him to mess it up now.

"How long does it have to be fumigated for?" Lay asks. He's the quietest of the boys, and though he had a big reaction too, he's the first to recover and keep his cool.

"They're not sure, they keep finding reasons to fumigate some more." Tao fidgets uncomfortably. The difference is that Tao gets to be nervous about his lying and get away with it because that's just the way his personality is.

"That must ." Chen pouts and frowns, feeling immediate sympathy for his friend.

"Yeah..." Tao says a little uneasily. They've managed to fool their friends but how long can this lie last?

Little do they know that they haven't fooled all of them. There's Yixing and Luhan who don't quite believe what Kris and Tao are saying. It seems very suspicious to them. But they won't say anything to question it...yet.

...

In English catch-up class, Kris notices that Tao is doing exceptionally better. His pronunciation is clearer and more accurate, his grammar is usually correct, his punctuation has improved and his writing skills have skyrocketed. Kris is so proud of him.

The two of them constantly work together in a pair, Kris helps Tao with the work and Tao gets it done faster because he has a motive to. With Kris by his side, English makes so much more sense to him.

The bell rings and signifies the end of first period. Kris and Tao get up and they're about to leave together, seeming pretty much inseparable but the teacher calls for Tao before he leaves.Tao waves goodbye to Kris before walking back inside the classroom. Their promise of seeing each other soon lingers in Tao's mind and instantly puts him in a good mood.

"Hi, Tao. I have some good news for you. I've been looking through your assessments and I think you're at the level you should be at, so you don't need to continue in catch-up classes anymore. We're just going to put you in the normal English class and you won't have to work things that are too easy for you. I'm very proud of you, Zitao, you've worked hard." His teacher pats Tao on the back.

Two conflicting emotions clash within Tao: pride and worry. He's proud of himself for improving so much in English to the point where he no longer needs to be in catch-up classes. But he's also worried because he doesn't know how he'll find the motive to go to school anymore. Almost everyday he has catch-up classes with Kris and that is the core of why Tao can even go to school now. It's scary to think about how much Tao's relying on Kris at the moment. It's a huge leap to trust someone this much, but it's Tao's gege...and maybe someone more? Either way, Tao knows he'll survive—things are different now. If he can live without Kris for years, he can live without him for a couple of hours at a time. Besides, once they're home, they have all the time they want to spend together.

Tao can't wait to tell Kris. He can't wait to see how proud Kris is of him.

...

By the time lunch rolls around, Kris and Tao feel like they both have separation anxiety. They both know how pathetic it is that they can't even last a day without needing to see each other but they shake it away and pretend it isn't a sign of how hard they're falling for one another.

Kris has memorized Tao's timetable along with his own, he never admits it because he knows how stalker-like it seems. Kris just convinces himself that he's just making sure Tao's safe and that he'll be able to find him easily should something happen. When Tao spots Kris coming down the hallway to meet up with him, he's buzzing with excitement to tell Kris the good news. They refrain from hugging each other because they know how fast things spread around school and they both want to avoid vicious rumors.

When Kris sees Tao's bright smile full of anticipation, Kris is immediately put in a good mood as well. The boy’s smile is contagious as hell. He wonders what's happened to make him so happy.

"Guess what?" Tao's eyes are wide with a huge grin on his face. He can't remember the last time he smiled like this without Kris' presence. Could Tao even smile sincerely when Kris isn't around?

"What has made the little panda so happy?" Kris gives a small smirk and leisurely walks with Tao to the caféteria. They were so comfortable this way—they almost acted like a couple but easily pass it off as best friends. Because that's what they were...and nothing more. Right?

"I've improved in the English catch-up class so much that I don't have to be in the lower class anymore." Tao gives a beaming smile and awaits Kris' reaction. Tao knows that the both of them have to be a little disappointed because they'll hardly see each other at school anymore because of the age difference. But they're living together for Pete’s sake, they'll be all right.

"Wow, Taozi! That's so great! I'm so proud of you, I know how hard you've been working." Kris gives the warmest smile and nudges Tao playfully. They both laugh and make small talk. Kris is genuinely very happy for the younger boy but he is a little down that they won't spend any class time together. Get over it, Kris, you should be happy for him.

They walk to their usual table and join the rest of their small group.

Predictably, Kris and Tao sit together. Kris teasingly scoots over so close to Tao that their sides are completely touching. Tao becomes very flustered but doesn't object, and that's exactly the reaction Kris is looking for.

To make small amends, Kris finds Tao's hand and he grabs it. They sit like that for the rest of lunch, holding one another's hand and keeping it a secret from everyone else. But really, what is there to hide?

...

The week flies by once more. The two boys are adjusting to not seeing each other in English class anymore and Kris has already made a move to retire his services in catch-up classes. Without Tao in that class, Kris has no reason to be there at all.

In the days that have passed, few things had been accomplished. Kris has made a few more advances, getting bolder and bolder with teasing Tao. Kisses grow a little bit more frenzied and Kris gets a little riskier by kissing him at school in the empty hallways. Basically, anywhere where people aren't around, Kris will seize the oppurtunity.

Kris doesn't really know why he's doing it. Maybe it's for the reaction—Tao's flustered face and heavy breathing, or maybe it's because his kisses are addictive. Either way, Kris finds joy in his actions but at the same time, he knows he needs to stop. He's falling way too fast for Tao, and it's scaring him. But what if he doesn't want to stop? This type of intimacy gives Kris some peace and makes him feel satisfied. There's always this insatiable need for Kris to be close to Tao and these mischievous kisses relieve his addiction.

Tao never minds the kisses. He even welcomes them and he's glad that he doesn't have to initiate anything. He's too shy to kiss Kris first, and he's grateful that Kris understands and always begins things. But Tao still feels really lost. After two weeks of being fine with Kris and him being...whatever they were, it's starting to make Tao a little weary. There are thoughts in his mind that questions Kris' motives. What if he's just using Tao for physical intimacy? What if Kris doesn't actually feel anything for Tao? Tao knows that Kris does care for the younger boy, but he doubts that they have the same feelings for one another. Tao is undoubtedly and shatteringly in love with Kris. He's been scared of falling for a long time now but he's come to accept his feelings.

What Tao wants and needs to know now, is what Kris feels for him. All this intimacy and teasing is growing a bit too much for the young boy, and he can't stand not knowing where the two of them lay in terms of relationships. However, Tao just doesn't know how to bring it up. He just doesn't know how to ask without sounding desperate.

...

It's only until that Thursday when Kris crashes Tao into the school's locker that Tao knows things have to be said. Kris teases him, locking both of his arms on the each side of Tao's head. Kris leans in and blows on Tao's neck, causing the boy to flush a deep scarlet due to Kris' teasing. He's so thankful that everyone's already left for home and no one's here to witness the scene...or at least he thinks no one is around.

"Kris..." Tao warns. He's finally had enough of this fooling around, a sudden urge to confront this relationship overtaking him.

"Hmmm?" Kris leans in to the side of Tao's face and just stays there, caging Tao in.

"I can't do this anymore." Kris whirls back from Tao, those few words sending an alarm all through his mind. He starts to panic, all sorts of ideas and thoughts raging around Kris' head.

Tao, seeing how alarmed Kris is, puts his hands on Kris' shoulders in an attempt to calm him down.

"I can't do this until you tell me something." Tao finishes his thoughts. He looks down, unwilling to look at Kris straight in the eyes. It's unbelievable how time stands still for the both of them just so that they can stay in their own little bubble.

"I'll tell you anything, Tao. You know that. Please don't scare me like that again." Kris breathes a sigh of relief into Tao's neck. Tao brings his palms behind Kris' back and rubs up and down in a calming hug.

"I just need to know...what exactly are we? Where do I stand with you?" Tao doesn't mean for his voice to shake and waver, but he feels so vulnerable at the moment, anything he says will come out almost inaudibly.

Kris takes a moment to pause and think. So this is why Tao has been acting differently lately. How had he not expected this to be coming? Kris couldn't keep teasing Tao and not expect something like this to come up. All this while, Kris has been suppressing his feelings for the younger boy, scared that if he lets it show, Tao will be scared off because of how intense Kris' feelings are.

"I don't want to put a label on us." Kris murmurs into Tao's ear. It's a white lie and Kris knows it. He'd love to be dubbed as an item so everyone could know Tao is his. So that he could act on his feelings towards Tao without being questioned. But he tries to avoid all his fantasies just to be safe.

Tao, being innocent and inexperienced, takes this in the complete wrong way. I don’t want to put a label on us. Tao thinks that Kris doesn’t even want to be involved with him at all. So am I just a plaything to him? If he doesn’t want a relationship, he could’ve told me so. Tao suddenly feels like crying. He’s overwhelmed by feelings. Why did he expect anything?

“Woah, Tao! I-I’m sorry, please don’t cry. I-”

“It’s fine. You don’t want a relationship, I get it.” Tao wipes away the stray tears that rebelliously trickle down his cheek. He doesn’t know how he got the courage to talk back to Kris with a straight voice, but inside he feels like breaking all over again. They were just in the process of fixing each other and now Tao is shattered again? He can’t take this anymore.

Tao breaks Kris’ hold on him and tries to walk away with as much dignity as he can. He knows he’s being dramatic and he knows that Kris hasn’t technically done anything wrong. Kris never said anything about being more than friends—he never made a promise like that. Yet Tao is still so hurt. He wanted more than anything for those kisses to actually mean something to the both of them. But Tao supposes it would always be a little too much to hope for.

“Tao, wait.” Kris grabs Tao’s wrist desperately. “I didn’t mean it like that.” Kris pleads, getting more and more desperate by the second. Why can’t I just tell him?

“Yes, you did, Kris. It’s okay, you don’t owe me anything.” Tao says more than a little heartbroken. Kris almost has a breakdown seeing how sad Tao is. Stop being a coward, Kris. Tell him how you really feel.

No. I really didn’t mean any of it, Tao. I…I’m having problems telling you how I really feel because I’m scared that you’ll be freaked out. My feelings are getting out of hand, Tao. I don’t want you to be scared off because of how intense they are. I-I love you. How…how can I not be scared to tell you that?” Kris can’t even look at Tao, he can’t bear to see the reaction. In complete contrast to merely five minutes ago, Kris is so shy and the exact opposite of how he usually is. It goes to show how much Tao effects him, and how much he means to him.

I love you. I love you. I love you. The words become a mantra in Tao’s head, an answer to all his prayers, the solution for him to be fixed. I love you too.

“I love you, Tao. I love you more than words can describe and I’m scared you’re not ready for how hard I’ve fallen for you.” Kris tips his head down so that his forehead touches Tao’s. They breathe softly together, feeling each other’s heartbeats. It’s enough to make Kris close his eyes and feel panicking shivers run up and down his spine. He’s not ready to be rejected.

Kris has always had slight commitment problems. It never made him a player or anything of the sorts—he wanted nothing to do with toying with other people’s hearts. But he just didn’t know how to commit to someone else because the thought of losing them because he’s so messed up scares him to the point where he just avoids relationships altogether. He hasn’t been a serious relationship in his entire life because of his fears. But he can’t do that to Tao. It’s just not the same.

Please. Say something, Tao.” Kris begs and pulls Tao closer to him as a desperate attempt to keep him from running away.

I love you too.” Tao breathes out, tears escaping from the corners of his eyes because of the emotional roller coaster ride he’s been on. From such a low to such a strenuous high, Tao is finding it rather difficult to handle. “I just didn’t know how to tell you. I wouldn’t have been able to handle being rejected.” Tao confesses into Kris’ shoulder and shuts his eyes tight. If this is a dream, please don’t wake me up.

“Neither. But it doesn’t matter now. All that matters is that I love you.” There it is again, those three words. It’s incredible how those words can effect the both of them so much only because of each other.

I love you.” It’s incredible because of how much they both need to hear it. “I love you just as much as I need you.” Tao whispers, words only audible enough for Kris to hear.

“I love you as much as I need you—which is more than I need air.” Kris blows air onto Tao’s neck and the younger boy shivers and clings on tighter. This moment could last forever.

Kris slowly and gently pulls away and they just take a moment to stare at each other. They’re both so broken and yet the pieces fit right back to become a bigger picture with the both of them in it. That’s all they will ever need.

Kris crashes his lips onto Tao’s and this tender kiss is the best one they’ve shared. Because through all their imperfections is their acceptance and love for one another. This caring and soft kiss is way better than the ones Kris teases Tao with because of so many different reasons. But the most important reason this kiss is special, is because this kiss has a meaning behind it: I love you.