The First Time They Went on a 'Date'

Only Time Will Tell

Jihae had just gotten into her apartment when Kris called her.

“Hello?”

“It’s me Kris.”

“Thank you, if you never told me I would have never known. My caller ID is completely useless.” She teased, throwing her laptop bag on the table.

He laughed nervously. He was calling to ask her out, kind of. More like hanging out, watch a movie, and eat dinner. It wouldn’t be a date since it was just him that was in love and wanted her all for himself. She could probably care less. That was not the truth, but Kris still didn't know this.

“Wanna go watch a movie tonight? I heard that Percy Jackson movie was good.”

“Are you asking me out on a date?” She smiled.

He gulped and sputtered, “No! No! Not at all. Just going together as friends. I wanted to see the movie, but I didn’t want to go by myself, and you said that you don’t watch movies often, so I figured you hadn’t seen the movie yet. And you said you like action or comedies, and this is that, so I thought you wouldn’t mind going with me. This is not a date. We’re just two friends going to watch a movie together. Friends can do that, right?”

She bit her lip to keep from laughing at him. “Okay. What time?”

Kris was clutching a bag of popcorn as if his life depended on it. He stood there waiting for Jihae to arrive, he would have gone to her place to pick her up, but she never let anyone in her home, or near it, and he would never follow her home, so he didn’t know where to pick her up if he did.

“Kris!” Jihae grinned, jogging over to him.

Kris had to remind himself to breathe after looking at her. He was so used to her being covered up in business clothes, wearing glasses and carrying a laptop bag, but today she was casual. She wasn’t dressed up really, but the relaxed feeling she had was breathtaking. She looked a little tired, and he felt guilty for asking her out after what was probably a grueling day at work.

“Jihae! Did you make it here okay?”

“Yes, I am fully capable of walking from place to place without dying.” She joked.  He loved that twinkle in her eye when she .

He laughed, “Just being polite. Popcorn?” He offered the bag to her as they walked in to go to the theater.

“Oh! Yum!” She beamed and took the bag happily. He remembered when she made a comment about how movies had to be watched while eating popcorn, otherwise the experience is lost.

Honestly, neither of them remembers too much about the movie. Kris was almost always found staring at Jihae, and she was very distracted by that. She was at least able to get the plot and highlights of the movie. He couldn’t even tell which one was the main character.

They decided to go eat dinner, since she hadn’t eaten yet, and he was too nervous to eat before. She started talking about the movie, and the funny parts. He laughed at everything she said, and agreed with her ideas, though he didn’t follow any of it. She could easily tell he was lying, so she decided to test him.

“Those flying rats! They were insane! Rainbow colors and furry little wings! Right?”

“Yeah! I can’t believe it, it was so weird.” He nodded.

“Wow, you really weren’t paying attention to the movie were you?” She scoffed.

He looked down sheepishly, “Sorry.”

“It’s okay. It was good, you’ll be sad to have missed it.”

‘Watching you is better. God that sounds creepy.’ Kris thought to himself.

They walked back to her apartment, this time she let him walk her back because it was night time and he refused to let her walk home at night. She rolled her eyes and complied with his firm request. On their walk, they walked past an arcade room. She looked in envying the children inside playing, carefree.

“Do you want to go in?” Kris asked, noticing her longing stares.

“Huh?” She whipped her head around to look at him in surprise.

“Let’s go in.” Kris smiled and opened the door for her.

She blushed and shyly went in.

“What games do you like to play?” He asked, looking around.

“I don’t know.”

“What games do you know how to play?”

“I don’t know.”

“Have you played these games before?”

“I’ve never been to an arcade before.”

“No way!” He gaped at her.

She shrugged. “I played a lot of sports. If it wasn’t sports, it was studying so I could continue playing sports. Then it was work and studying.”

“Then we’re going to make up for lost time!” He grinned and led her to game after game. At first, she was clumsy at most of them, but she learned quickly. He found that she had phenomenal coordination and reflexes. The fact that her athletic career was cut short really saddened him when he noticed this. She let it slip that she won tournaments before, but he didn’t really register her abilities until he saw how good she was at everything, though it was her first time to play any video game.

Soon the others in the arcade crowded around them to watch them play. The fact that the two of them were quite attractive also helped increase their popularity there. Kris narrowed his eyes at some guys ogling Jihae.

“It’s not fair.” Kris wanted to pout when they left the arcade.

“What?” She looked over at him, smiling slightly from her good mood.

“It was your first time in an arcade but you beat the crap out of me at most of them.”

“As such is life.” She stuck her tongue out at him. The two laughed the rest of the way to her place.

‘This was a good date.’ The two thought to themselves.

 


Thanks so much to everyone showing me support for the story! I'll do my best not to disappoint.

Also, since some of you came here after reading Keep Talking, which was a Rated M short, I feel like I should warn you that this one will not be rated. Keep Talking focused on two days in three chapters, so it was a closer look at them. This one is more of a 'important moments in time'.

Anyhow, please comment down below, or subscribe if you want to remain silent (If you haven't been awesome and already did before). Just a little something to let me know I'm doing good would be appreciated, but if you don't want to, it's fine =)

Thanks for reading!