The First Time They Met

Only Time Will Tell

Kris stood in line to order food.

It was probably a bad idea, considering his Korean was still crap. People kept staring at him, probably because he was so damn tall. The girls in business attire in front of him kept glancing back at him. He tried not to fidget nervously. He really wished people would at least try to be a bit more discreet when they gawked at him.

Only one of them spared him from her judging glances. Instead she yawned and nodded politely to whatever her friends said. She was tall for a Korean girl, and quite pretty from what he could see. Tall as she was, Kris still easily towered over her.

The girls finished their order and were already leaving when the cashier asked Kris something.

“I’m sorry, please you talk slow?” Kris stumbled out in broken accented Korean to the guy. “I knew I should have brought the dictionary.” He sighed in English.

The girls turned in surprise. The tall, sleepy one stared at him curiously.

The cashier repeated himself, slower this time, and a little more annoyed. Kris still couldn’t understand him. “Sorry, I don’t know…” More awkward Korean spilled from his lips.

The tall girl laughed openly at him. Her friends turned away to hide their smile.

“He’s telling you about the daily special, then he asked if you were eating here or to go.” She showed mercy on him and said in English. She turned to her friends and told them to go find a table and she’ll be right there.

“Oh. I just want the number four meal.” He blushed. “I’m eating here.” He was really supposed to order it and come back to the company, but he didn’t want to leave just yet.

He watched her translate his order with ease. She turned back to him, “Drink?”

“Coke.”

“Okay, here’s your number. They’ll bring the food to you. ” She handed him a number card and walked off in the direction her friends left to.

“He’s staring at you.” The girls giggled to Jihae as they were eating.

“Is that so?” Jihae smiled politely.

“He’s cute.”

“Hm.” Jihae nodded and continued eating.

She was bored. She didn’t want to be there. She didn’t even know these girls. She didn’t want to know them. But this was where she was. That’s life.

“I think you’re going to get the job.” A girl sighed to Jihae.

“I don’t know. I’m still in school, so they’ll probably choose someone else.” Jihae denied honestly.

The girls got up and went to throw away their things.

Jihae saw Kris struggling with the trash.

This place had a different set up for garbage, but it was explained in Korean above the trash bins. There was compost, recycle, a place for trays, and a place for utensils. He kind of understood it, but was still slightly confused and unsure.

Jihae pointed at the individual characters above the bins and translated it for him.

“I’m sorry.” He grimaced at his own ineptitude at the language.

“It’s okay. Just keep studying. You’ll get there.” She smiled reassuringly at him.

“Thanks.” He smiled back, but she was already leaving with the girls who wouldn’t stop giggling at him. It was then that he noticed he was blushing not out of embarrassment for the first time since entering the restaurant.

For a week or so, he would come back to the restaurant and watch her quietly. She knew he was watching her. She probably should have been creeped out, but she wasn’t. Even he thought he was being creepy. She just didn’t sense any danger from him.

Then she noticed him following her around or waiting outside the building she worked in around lunch time. The girls were right, she got the job. She wasn’t sure how he found out where she worked, but guessed that it was because it was near the restaurant. The weird part was that she still wasn’t scared. He never approached her, and his need of a translator was slowly but surely diminishing.

She smiled when she heard him order and converse with the cashier completely in Korean, a bit accented, but otherwise perfect.

Neither of them talked to the other over the course of a year.

Kris thought about it many times. It sure as hell would be less strange than following her daily. His trainers were wondering why his lunch breaks always went so long, but he said nothing about it. Why would they need to know about his unrequited, quite sad and creepy, love?

 


How was that? Good?

Tell me what you think in the comment section down below, or subscribe if you wish to remain silent. Anything to let me know I'm doing alright would be much appreciated!

Thank you for reading ^^