An Assignation

Stockholm Syndrome [FOREVER HIATUS]

“I GOT PAID TODAY! GLORIOUS, GLORIOUS MONEY!” Baekhyun shouts after ending his shift.

He doesn’t consider if Chanyeol may or may not be sleeping when he barges through the bedroom door. Chanyeol’s under his blanket and Baekhyun starts to shake his shoulder vigorously. “WAKE UP AND LOOK AT THESE NUMBERS, CHANYEOL!”

Gradually, Chanyeol emerges from the sheets. Except the person in Chanyeol’s bed wasn’t Chanyeol at all. Baekhyun swears he had himself an aneurysm when a big, brooding man glares him down with murderous eyes. “S-sorry!” Baekhyun apologizes as he runs full throttle for the door.

He shuts it with a loud BANG and Chanyeol rushes out of the restroom as effect. “Baekhyun, keep it down,” Chanyeol is whispering, “You’re going to wake up Wu Fan!”

“What is he doing in our dorm? I thought he let you go!”

“He just needs a place to stay for a while so I let him stay here.”

Baekhyun’s ears must be deceiving him. “W-what?” he stutters. “But why is he in your bed? Even if he is scary beyond all reason, taking someone else’s bed is rude, Chanyeol.”

In attempt to demand back his roommate’s bed, Baekhyun begins to march back into the bedroom. Chanyeol stops him with a pull of an arm. “No! He did not take my bed. I offered it to him!”

Baekhyun turns around with bulging eyes. “You…WHAT?”

“I offered it to him.”

“WHY?”

“Because when I was staying at his house, he gave his bed to me.”

Baekhyun’s jaw drops. He stands too stoically and even Chanyeol believes his friend really is having an aneurysm. “Chanyeol… I can’t believe you’re letting a criminal stay in our dorm like this. A criminal that kept you hostage and threatened to kill you, might I add.”

“It’ll be for just a while, alright? I had a long day so can we just go to sleep?”

Chanyeol proceeds in walking towards the couch, but Baekhyun bellows for him. “Wait! How do you expect me to sleep next to him? What if he tries to kill me?”

Chanyeol makes himself comfortable on the couch. “He’s not going to try to kill you. Go to sleep, dude,” Chanyeol rolls his eyes.

“Chanyeol, take my bed instead!”

Chanyeol ignores him and falls to sleep immediately. Baekhyun barely slept that night. He was too busy scheming how to sleep with his eyes wide open.

 


 

“Morning, dude,” Chanyeol greets.

Baekhyun slumps over to the dining table looking nothing far from exhausted. “Couldn’t sleep at all and it’s all your fault.”

Chanyeol hands him a cup of instant ramen and Baekhyun forgives him immediately. He starts slurping the artificially flavored noodles as Wu Fan walks in looking just as exhausted. Baekhyun jolts out of seat, but Chanyeol stands up even quicker. “Morning, Wu Fan,” Chanyeol greets once more.

“Morning.”

Baekhyun puts down his noodles immediately when Wu Fan sits beside him. Wu Fan’s yawning with eyes still closed shut and the two other tactlessly proceed in staring him down. Chanyeol’s looking in mild interest and Baekhyun’s looking just in case Wu Fan might find interest in Baekhyun’s cup noodles and decides to kill him for them. “Wu Fan,” Chanyeol tries to converse. “I made you noodles.”

He offers it to him and Wu Fan accepts with a sleepy nod. “Your wound,” Chanyeol suddenly gasps when he makes out blood.

Wu Fan touches the side of his face. His wound is bleeding again and Chanyeol runs over to the counter to get him a band-aid and some antibiotics. “Take it,” he offers.

“It’s fine,” Wu Fan rejects him.

“You’re bleeding! How did you even get that cut?”

“It’s nothing.”

“You should care for it properly. Here, I’ll put in on for you.”

Wu Fan stands up immediately. Pulling out a box of cigarettes, he makes his way to the door. “I’m going to smoke.”

He leaves Chanyeol and Baekhyun to themselves. Chanyeol looks over and notices Baekhyun watching the entire time in absolute curiosity. He then stares Baekhyun down with a grimace. “You want an autograph or something?”

“You like him.”

“What?” Chanyeol sits down angrily. “You’re delusional.”

“You’re never that nice to anyone. Not even to the girls you’ve dated let alone a gangster like him.”

Chanyeol ignores him by gobbling up all his noodles. “I really don’t,” he continues.

Baekhyun thinks about it in thorough depth. “Wait that’s it,” he comes to a realization, “you probably have Stockholm Syndrome.”

Chanyeol almost spits out his noodles. “Pardon?”

“No, that makes perfect sense. Wu Fan bought you all those nice things, offered his bed to you, and showered you with a luxurious lifestyle. You feel indebt to him and that’s why you’re so fond of him.”

“I don’t…I don’t have Stockholm Syndrome.”

“Then you like him?”

“No, I don’t. I-”

Their conversation is interrupted when Wu Fan barges through the door. He takes a seat beside them and the room becomes eerily silent. Baekhyun finishes his breakfast as quickly as possible in order to avoid the awkward ambiance. “Time to head to work,” he shrugs. “See you two later.”

Baekhyun makes a break for the door, leaving Chanyeol alone with Wu Fan once again. Wu Fan looks listless in the way he slurps his sodium-ridden ramen. “I’m going back to bed,” he states after chucking the empty plastic cup into the trashcan.

“Don’t you want to go out? You slept all day yesterday.”

Wu Fan raises an eyebrow. “Besides work, what else is there to do? I don’t feel like shopping.”

Chanyeol shrug. “There are all sorts of things to do besides shopping. Want to go watch a movie? Karaoke? Arcade?”

“...people actually go to those things?”

“Yes,” Chanyeol suppresses laughter. “Why don’t I take you out?”

Wu Fan chuckles, gaining closer to Chanyeol with a condescending smirk. “I like this chivalrous Chanyeol.”

And Chanyeol just shrugs in compliance. “W-well, now that you’re living with me, I should be the one taking you out.”

And Wu Fan surprisingly agrees. After changing into outerwear, the both of them head out. Chanyeol turns down all of Wu Fan’s offers to drive. They bicker until Chanyeol finally gets his way. They end up walking and it’s the first Wu Fan actually walked anywhere in a long time. The streets are lined with restaurants, little shops, and arcades to Wu Fan’s surprise. “There aren’t any bars here.”

“Nope.”

“Or casinos.”

“Yeah.”

“Is this a strip club?”

“No! It’s an arcade!”

Chanyeol forces the unwilling Wu Fan to step inside of it. It’s dark and full of flickering lights from various gaming machines and consoles. Wu Fan fidgets awkwardly when he surveys the demographic of very young teenage males. Chanyeol goes to fetch quarters and he flashes them with pride. “You want to play a game?”

“I’m…not sure.”

“I’ll start you off easy,” he guides him by the hand to a machine. “This one is easy. You just press B to shoot the sling shot. You have to knock over the blocks to kill the pigs.”

He puts in a game token before nodding in approval. Wu Fan hesitantly starts the game. But he gets sick of the game real fast after losing for the third time consecutively. “What are those weird animals?” he asks.

“They’re called angry birds.”

“They’re ing ugly. Can’t they create a better looking bird?”

Chanyeol snorts. “They resemble you.”

“Well, those even uglier pigs look like you!” he huffs before storming off into the lanes.

Chanyeol follows him until they reach a 1P shooter game. “This!” Chanyeol shouts out of glee. “You use guns all the time. You’ll be good at this!”

He hands Wu Fan a gun and Wu Fan stares at it with great skepticism. “What the actual is this?”

“It’s a gun.”

“It’s made out of plastic.”

Chanyeol rolls his eyes before putting in a token into the game. “Just shoot the zombies, alight?”

Three zombies pop out of the screen as soon as the game starts. Wu Fan flinches in surprise before shooting violently at the repulsive things. Chanyeol’s jaw drops when Wu Fan kills each and every one of them with zeal. “Wow, you’re good,” he compliments.

Wu Fan just laughs as he shoots each zombie that crosses his way. He gets really into it, as apparent when he starts laughing hysterically. “DIE DIE DIE!”

He makes it past majority of the levels and Chanyeol never got a chance to play his usual fighting games. He doesn’t mind really since he’d rather be cheering Wu Fan on. In addition, he’s never seen this playful side of Wu Fan before. “Want to play again?” Chanyeol suggests after Wu Fan loses by level 15.

“No, I’m good,” Wu Fan replies, wiping off his perspiring forehead with a hand. “That was…pretty fun, I guess.”

“Isn’t it?” Chanyeol beams.

“But it’s hot as hell in here.”

“Do you want to get a drink? Baekhyun’s boba place is just across the street.”

“I’m…not sure.”

The younger forces him to follow him out of the dark arcade with another tug of the wrist. Just as Chanyeol described, Baekhyun’s boba joint is directly across the street. It’s a fairly pretty place with brightly lit lights and customers looking just as bubbly. Wu Fan is hesitant in entering the establishment when he sees the interior. 

Baekhyun is working the register and Chanyeol motions at him with a wave. Baekhyun lifts his head and smiles, but the smile immediately decays when he sees Wu Fan beside him. Wu Fan furrows his eyebrows. “What’s with that look? I’ll kill him.”

“Don’t kill him!” Chanyeol stops him. “Go sit over there and I’ll get us our drinks.”

Wu Fan looks over to Baekhyun with another scowl before obliging to Chanyeol’s request. He sits over in the corner and it gives Chanyeol opportunity to converse with his roommate. “Hey Baekhyun, ol’ buddy ol’ chum.”

“What the hell is he doing here? He’s scaring away all the customers!”

Chanyeol looks over and practically every eye was focused on no one other than Wu Fan. He’s reclined back into his chair like one bad mother er, admittedly. Chanyeol turns back with a shrug. “They’re just curious.”

“Yeah,” Baekhyun rolls his eyes. “Not every day a gangster walks into a boba tea place. What does he even drink? We don’t sell Asahi, you know.”

“Just give us the special,” Chanyeol snorts.

Baekhyun puts in the order. He does it slowly to delay time when he mutters, “You know…Jin stopped by today.”

Chanyeol jolts up in surprise. “She came here? What did she want?”

“She says that she’s been trying to reach you for days. Apparently you told her that you’re working afar somewhere and hasn’t responded to her since.”

“Well…what did you tell her?”

“The truth?”

“WHAT?” Chanyeol blurts out in response. “She’s going to be so pissed!”

“Oh indeed she was,” Baekhyun holds in obnoxious laughter. “But don’t worry because I fixed it for you. I told her you’d meet her for lunch tomorrow.”

“WHY’D YOU DO THAT?”

“WHY DOES NOTHING I DO PLEASE YOU?”

“WHY ARE YOU HOLDING UP THE LINE?!”

The unfamiliar voice is coming from behind Chanyeol. Chanyeol and Baekhyun suddenly notice the line piling up because of them. The customers do not look happy and Baekhyun’s manager looks twice as bad. Chanyeol quickly pays him and Baekhyun gets him his drinks almost just as fast. As Baekhyun hands him his beverages, he leans over the counter. “This is good for you, you know. Go out with her and you’ll find out if you really do or do not have Stockholm Syndrome.”

 Chanyeol accepts the drinks with a frown. “What are you talking about?”

Baekhyun shrugs. “Maybe if you see her again, your feelings for her will be confirmed.” Before proceeding back to the cash register, he flashes the creepiest smile to ever exist on the face of the planet. “That or the feelings for someone else.”

 Chanyeol carries both drinks to the corner where Wu Fan resides. They both decide to take their milk teas home, but Chanyeol finishes his even before they step into the dorming complex. He collapses over the couch and with a satisfied exhale. “Wow that milk tea is really good. I should have gotten the large.”

He looks up at Wu Fan, whose standing in the hallway like a lost idiot. Chanyeol slides over and pats the seat cushion beside him. “Why are you waiting there? Go ahead and sit down.”

Wu Fan slightly hesitates before sitting beside the younger. Chanyeol notices the nearly untouched drink in his hand and he lets out a loud hiss. “You didn’t try the drink. Drink it!” he commands when he pushes the straw into Wu Fan’s mouth. “Good right?”

Wu Fan lets out a chuckle. “Yeah…pretty good I guess.”

“Did you have fun today?”

“Pretty fun I guess. I’m just…not used to doing stuff like this.”

“That’s because you’re such a workaholic,” Chanyeol snorts. “This is how you should spend your break, Wu Fan. I’ll take you out and we can do this every day if you want.”

“Every day?”

“Yeah, why not? You like it, right?”

“I… like it.”

“Then we can go out every day.”

Chanyeol’s stomach lurches when Wu Fan and he make eye contact. And suddenly he remembers that he’s supposed to meet up with his ex-girlfriend tomorrow for lunch. “Err…almost every day.”

Wu Fan puts his drink down on the coffee table. In an instant, he pulls Chanyeol in by the chin and presses his lips against his. Chanyeol withdraws with a gasp. “W-Wu Fan, what are you doing?”

“I’m kissing you. What does it look like? Isn’t this what people do after a date?”

Chanyeol gasps. “Wu Fan, but that wasn’t a da-”

Wu Fan muffles his voice with another kiss. And this time, Chanyeol doesn’t recoil. Soft kisses will forever be Chanyeol’s biggest weakness and Wu Fan’s are as soft as they come. 

 

Assignation: an appointment to meet someone in secret, typically one made by lovers.


 

AUTHOR'S NOTE: HI HI HI did anyone go to kcon? c: i usually don't post my personal things here but seeing exo in person again makes me want to share: my day at kcon it's a bit long so you don't have to read it really ; u ; ohhh & school started yesterday for me so sorry for slow updates OTL but i never abandon stories so i'll still try to update frequently~~ bye & thank you for reading ♡