Incognito

Stockholm Syndrome [FOREVER HIATUS]

“I’ve been thinking…”

Wu Fan sits beside him on the bed. “Yeah…me too.”

“Wait, you have?”

“Yeah,” Wu Fan stands up. “Get ready and let’s go.”

He’s halfway through the door when Chanyeol beckons for him. “Wait! Where are we going?”

Wu Fan leaves without an answer and Chanyeol thinks it’s best to get ready as he’s instructed. As he showers, brushes his teeth, and dresses, he can’t help but feel extreme anxiety. He feels an ominous uncertainty that was presented in Wu Fan’s cryptic gaze.

Chanyeol scurries downstairs to find Wu Fan waiting for him alone. With no bodyguards or housemaids in sight, it’s just the two of them. “All ready?”

Chanyeol nods and Wu Fan smiles awkwardly in reply. He follows the tall blonde into the front of the house. They both get into Wu Fan’s car and Wu Fan wastes no time in driving off. Chanyeol doesn’t question him because he is seems too calm and collected. The entire 20 minute drive is silent and awkward until Chanyeol notices familiar settings. “Wu Fan, are you taking me where I think you’re taking me?”

There are streets and streets of apartment complexes and condos alike. Just a bit further down is Chanyeol’s school. Chanyeol can barely let out a gasp when they arrive at their destination. “My dormitory…”

Wu Fan gets out of the car first. The first thing he does is start smoking, but Chanyeol doesn’t care as he inching towards him. “Why are we here? You’re not going to do something to Baekhyun are you?”

Wu Fan leans back onto his automobile, coyly flicking off the excess of his cigarette. “No…”

“Then why-”

“I’m letting you go.”

Chanyeol takes a step back. “What?”

“This is what you wanted right?” he his head to the side. “I’m not going to kill you. You can go home now and I won’t be bothering you anymore.”

 Chanyeol starts jumbling onto his words because he’s just so confused. “W-what? Why all of a sudden?”

Wu Fan throws his cigarette onto the ground before putting it out with his foot. “Because you’re annoying, you’re too much trouble than you’re worth, and I’m just…tired of you.”

With that reason, Chanyeol cannot help but feel enraged. He suppresses it by biting his tongue before nodding in agreement. “Well if you feel that way…thanks. For letting me go, I mean.”

“Whatever,” Wu Fan shrugs.

Digging into his pant pocket, he pulls out a small cellular device. “Here, you left this at the club.”

Chanyeol accepts it with astonished eyes. “My phone?”

“You might want to answer those calls. Your girl sounds pretty upset.”

Chanyeol looks up with a subtle gasp. The blonde before him doesn’t respond. He doesn’t make eye contact with Chanyeol even once. 

Instead, he gets back into his car. Chanyeol is stuck watching Wu Fan drive off until he can no longer make out the black sheen of his car. Inside, he knows he should feel elation. But all he feels is strange melancholy that will not leave him. Chanyeol turns on the phone to see the floods of missed calls and voice messages. He finally opens the caller information to realize that not one was from Wu Fan after all.

All were from no one other than Jin.

Chanyeol runs up into his dorm room. He knows he should call Jin up first and foremost, but his fingers automatically dial Baekhyun’s number. “Hello?”

“Baekhyun, where are you?”

“CHANYEOL? THIS IS THE HOUSE PHONE THAT YOU ARE CALLING FROM!”

“Yeah,” Chanyeol chuckles softly. “I’m home.”

Baekhyun hangs up the phone. Chanyeol guesses that all he can do is wait for him and Baekhyun arrives in a matter of fifteen minutes. “DUDE!” Baekhyun hollers. “YOU’RE BACK!”

He tackles him with a tight embrace and all Chanyeol can do is laugh. “Yes, I’m back.”

“I WAS SO WORRIED. MY CONSCIENCE WAS IN THE PITS OF HELL FOR THE LONGEST TIME, BUT YOU’RE BACK SAFE AND SOUND AND I JUST CAN’T BELIEVE IT!”

Suddenly, Baekhyun pulls away. Chanyeol eyes him nervously. “W-What, Baekhyun?”

“Why don’t you sound happy at all?”

Chanyeol forces a smile. “I’m happy.”

“Well you don’t sound happy.”

“I am. Believe me, will you?”

“…if you say so,” Baekhyun shrugs with a skeptic expression.

Suddenly, Baekhyun takes notice of Chanyeol’s outfit. He lets out an obnoxious wolf whistle in approval. “Nice threads you got. Did that Mafia kill some poor bastard for them?”

Chanyeol squints in reply. “No! He bought them for me at the mall.”

Baekhyun can’t contain his laughter. “He took you to the mall?” he snorts. “Is he a gang leader or is he your boyfriend?”

“Shut up!” Chanyeol punches his roommate in the gut. “He’s…just a really weird guy.”

 


 

“It’s unusual to you to make the rounds with us, Wu Fan.”

“I want to get my mind off of things.”

“Why don’t you go play with that Chanyeol kid I’ve been hearing so much about?”

Wu Fan shoots his father’s advisor by the name of Minseok a glare full of murderous spite. “HEARING SO MUCH FROM WHOM?”

Wu Fan turns around and Zitao and Jongin are whistling and avoiding their boss’s stare as if their lives depended on it. Minseok snorts aloud. “We all know you’ve been studying the family business since you can walk. We’re actually relieved that you have someone your age to play with.”

“CAN WE JUST DO OUR JOB PLEASE AND NOT TALK ABOUT THAT MORON?”

Wu Fan paces faster until they reach the home of the con artist. Wu Fan starts banging a fist at the door. “OPEN UP!”

The resident does not open the door so Wu Fan knocks even louder. “IT’S WU FAN. YOU BETTER OPEN THE DAMN DOOR IN THE COUNT OF THREE BEFORE-”

The door swings open, but there is no one. Wu Fan walks in first and out pops a scrawny and grungy kind of brute. “Boss!” he gets on his knees. “I called three times today, but Yixing wouldn’t pick up! I don’t have the money. I’ve been trying to get a job, but I can’t get hired no matter how hard I try-”

Wu Fan rolls his eyes. “Rob a bank or something. That’s your expertise, isn’t it?” he leans in closer to the kneeling man and chuckles menacingly. “Robbing people…robbing me?”

“Your dad knows me, you know me, and heck- I practically raised you! I said sorry so can’t bygones be bygones?”

“YOU .” Wu Fan grabs him by the collar, halting himself from spitting into the man’s unattractive mug. “My old man trusted you with millions and you try to escape to the states with all our finances? You are one delusional er if you think you’re getting off that easy.”

“Alright!” the man sighs, managing to break free from Wu Fan’s grasp. “Let me get the money I’ve been saving for this month’s meal.” He slowly walks away and Wu Fan’s mind wonders.

Wu Fan just can’t stop himself from thinking about a certain little moron all day. With his guard down, the rugged man turns around suddenly. Pulling a knife out of his sleeve, the man tries to aim it for Wu Fan’s neck.

Wu Fan is fast even to dodge it, but the knife manages to cut the side of his face. Wu Fan lands on his back and the man is above him and ready to attack once more. Zitao rushes towards him and kicks the knife out of his hand. The man is kicking and struggling with all his strength when Zitao and Jongin sustain him by the arms. “I’LL KILL YOU, WU FAN. I’LL ING KILL YOU!” he man repeats like a mantra.

Wu Fan touches his cheek, hissing due to the sting and his anger rises when the blood coaxes his fingertips.  “Piece of -”

Wu Fan immediately aims the bastard’s face with knuckles out. He bashes him for a long minute until even his knuckles start to swell from impact. The man’s bleeding from mouth and Minseok has to pull Wu Fan back. “CONTROL YOURSELF!” he commands when he sees Wu Fan’s fiery red eyes.

Wu Fan recoils his fist, left huffing out of exhaustion. The bloodied up man is chuckling disgustingly and Minseok replies with a discouraged expression.  “Our Boss’s face is his money maker. That’s not very nice.”

“YOUR BOSS IS A JOKE THAT DESERVES TO DIE. I’LL KILL HIM!” he man goes hysterical. “YOU WATCH YOURSELF, WU FAN. WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT, I’LL SLIT YOUR THRAOT AND THROW YOUR BODY INTO THE RIVER, YOU COCKY BASTARD!”

Minseok holds Wu Fan back again, sighing when turning back at the rambling lunatic before him. “You should really be locked up, you crazy fool.”

He then nods in Zitao and Jongin’s direction. They nod in comprehension and Minseok leads Wu Fan out of the house and into the street. “I’m going back in there,” Wu Fan curses. “I’m going to rip out his ball sack so that he can never contaminate the world with his satanic children.”

“So graphic!” Minseok gasps mockingly. “Listen, Wu Fan… I’ve been discussing with your father recently and we both agree that you should go incognito for a little while.”

“WHAT?” Wu Fan tenses up. “WHY? AREN’T I GOOD AT MY JOB? DON’T I WORK EVERY DAY?”

“There is nothing wrong with your work ethic, Wu Fan. The reason is because we’ve noticed that your stress levels have dramatically risen these past few months. Your usual finesse is declining and it’s even apparent in the way you almost killed that guy in there.”

Minseok then looks Wu Fan square in the eyes before sighing once more. “But lately you’ve been a lot calmer. You’ve been handling potential partners substantially better and we believe it has something to do with all the breaks you’ve been taking lately.

Minseok lets out a chuckle. “It seems Mei’s visits are not enough to encourage you to take a long needed break so an intervention like this is absolutely mandatory.”

Wu Fan scratches the nape of his neck. “Do I really have to?”

“Yes.”

“But if I’m at home all day, I won’t be able to stay away from work.”

“That’s why you should stay somewhere else.”

“WHAT?”

Minseok laughs, ready to walk back into the house to fetch Wu Fan’s underlings. “Why don’t you go stay at a friend’s house? When you’re ready, you can come back.”

Wu Fan stands immobile for a good five minutes. “There’s nowhere for me to go. There is nowhere.”

 


 

Chanyeol discovers that Baekhyun has been working at a boba tea joint for the past month.

 

“Do you really think you could’ve made 10 grand making boba tea?! I’d be dead by the time you make ten grand. Even you’d be dead by that time!”

“I’ll have you know that girls leave me a lot of tip because I’m so hot!”

 

But even if Chanyeol is no longer held prisoner, Baekhyun stays devoted to his newly obtained job. So the next day, Chanyeol is stuck brooding in their dorm room by himself. He knows he should be job hunting, but he just can’t bring himself to actually do it. And his ex-girlfriend has called a few times as well. He never could bring himself to answer them either.

It’s already noon and his phone is going off once again. Chanyeol puts down his third bag of popcorn and looks over at it. “It’s probably Jin…she really wants to talk to me,” he mumbles to himself.

She called so many times that Chanyeol feels guilt build up inside of him with every ignored call. Still, he cannot bear to answer them. It is because he is afraid of what she desperately wants to tell him. But it is also because he is afraid of the evasive Wu Fan etched inside of his mind. Chanyeol felt so much remorse that he had to explain the details to Baekhyun the night prior.

 

 

“He bought you an expensive phone too? You spoiled brat.”

“Yeah, but I wasn’t allowed to call others with it.”

“But Jin’s been calling you through that phone like crazy!”

“I know…”

“Wait…he found out you’ve been calling her?”

“…yeah.”

“Holy . He must’ve been so mad!”

Chanyeol lowers his head in shame. “Yeah…he probably was.”

 

 

He shoves more popcorn into his face before finally convincing himself to answer the obnoxious phone. “Hello?” he greets, still chewing on popcorn kernel.

“Go outside, stupid idiot.”

The popcorn goes down the wrong pipe and Chanyeol chokes out loud. He just cannot believe whose calling him. “W-WU FAN?”

“Who else?”

And Chanyeol runs to the door and opens it as quickly as he physically can. Just outside the door is tall, blonde, and bastard Wu Fan with his thousands of rings and exquisitely tasteful blazer jacket. “W-what are you doing here?” Chanyeol’s mouth just can’t seem to shut close.

“I’m crashing here for a while.”

“I BEG YOUR PARDON?”

Wu Fan waltzes in and jumps onto the couch just to the left of him. “Why is there popcorn all over your couch?”

Chanyeol walks over to him with jaw hanging agape and bewildered eyes. Wu Fan steals a few popcorn from the bag and Chanyeol slowly sits beside him. His brows furrow when he sees the visible cut on the side of Wu Fan’s cheek. He doesn’t have the courage to ask about it so he just stares. His eyes never falter and Wu Fan twitches due to discomfort. “Why are you staring at me? It’s creepy.”

“…why are you staying here?”

“My dad wants me to go on vacation because I work too hard. His advisor wants me to stay at a friend’s.”

“Then why are you at my place?”

Wu Fan huffs purposely loud. “Because I don’t have friends, you dolt.” Wu Fan shoves more popcorn into his face and Chanyeol’s brows furrow when watching him.

“…but you said that I’m too much trouble. You said that you’re annoyed with me. You acted like you never wanted to see me again and you left without even a proper goodbye.”

Wu Fan puts down the bag of popcorn before finally looking into Chanyeol’s big and questioning eyes. “Why’d you have to stop me, Chanyeol?”

“Stop you from what?”

Wu Fan positions himself a bit closer to the younger. Cocking his head to the side, he mumbles. “You really don’t like kissing me?”

Chanyeol’s eyes widen. He tries to find the right words, but they just do not come out. “I-”

“Because that girl at the mall is your girlfriend. I had a feeling, but then after I realized you’ve been calling her, I knew I was right all along.”

“SHE’S NOT MY GIRLFRIEND.”

Wu Fan looks up and Chanyeol’s pretty close to tears by now. “I mean she was, but we broke up.”

“But still you’ve been calling her behind my back.”

“I only called her once! And is that why you’re so mad? Just because I’m not allowed to call people with that phone? Well, I’M SORRY, but I don’t even know why we’re bickering right now because it’s not like you’re my boyfriend!”

 

“WELL MAYBE I WANT TO BE!”

It was apparent that Wu Fan regrets his impulsive words. He stands up before walking towards the front door. Chanyeol chases after him and manages to block him from leaving. “R-repeat that again.”

“No.”

“Wu Fan, what did you just say?”

“!” Wu Fan screams out in annoyance. “You have the thickest skull I’ve ever been cursed to know. Why are you so dense?”

“Why is it so hard for you to say?”

“I’ve told you I’ve wanted you, that I’m into you, and that I’m sincere. WHAT MORE DO I HAVE TO SAY?”

Wu Fan widens the gap in between them. Chanyeol doesn’t respond and his agitation quickly increases. “I’m going.”

“Don’t go!”

Wu Fan tries to walk past him, but Chanyeol is skipping left to right in attempt to stop him. “You can stay here, Wu Fan. You don’t have to go.”

Wu Fan pushes him out of the way and opens the door fully open. “I just can’t be with you for another second. You’d piss me off too much,” he spews before marching outside.

Chanyeol catches him by the arm in the nick of time. He pulls him inside, slams the door to a full close, and proceeds to yell. “I SAID YOU DON’T HAVE TO GO! DON’T LEAVE ME WITHOUT A PROPER GOODBYE AGAIN! IT MADE ME REALLY SAD, YOU KNOW THAT? BUT YOU WOULDN’T KNOW BECAUSE YOU’RE ALWAYS CUTTING ME OFF YOU’RE ALWAYS-”

Chanyeol’s forced to shut up when Wu Fan pulls him in by the waist and kisses him. After a bite of his lower lip, Wu Fan pushes off him off and plops himself back onto the couch. Chanyeol is left motionless and blushing as the blonde man shoves even more popcorn into his mouth. “Fine, I’ll stay. Happy?”

“…yes I am,” Chanyeol clears his throat before joining Wu Fan on the couch. 

 


 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE: So now Wu Fan's living with Chanyeol c: ! Thank you all for subscribing & commenting ! I appreciate it so so much you have to know! ♥