On Rainy Days

A Collection of Fiction

Made by; Vanessa |  Credit; Kaleidoscopekreations.blogspot.com

 

 

 


 


On Rainy Nights

 

Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night.  I miss you like hell. 

~Edna St. Vincent Millay

 

The beach was calm, a fair cry different from the weather the previous day. It seemed to stretch forever a seeming solitude from the shouting and traffic of a city. The dirt road to reality was littered either side with large trees that bowed over the road, blocking the sun. A small hut, made of wood and straw stood, just off the sand of the beach at the end of the road. It wasn’t large but neither was it too small.

It seemed all together too much like a fairytale.

A crash of thunder woke Junhyung. With a soft grumble he rolled over in the large bed, white sheets tangled around his legs. A large hand rubbed down his face, brown hair fluttered over his forehead. He turned, letting his arm fall limp beside him and stared outside.

It was raining again.

Despite himself a smile slipped over his face. The world had darkened and stilled, what little sun would grace the hut had dispersed with the rain clouds. The quiet rain pattered softly against the rough glass windows, made from the sand that surrounded him.

 Her face flashed in his vision. Smooth skin, a long waterfall of jet black hair and mysteriously dark eyes. Just like the rain.

And just like the rain, she faded away from him.

With a sigh he pushed himself up, sitting on the edge of his bed, head bowed as he tried to push away thoughts of her. Time passed, faster than it should have. Still, she remained in his head. A glance at the clock showed the time. Late. Very late, yet not early to start the day.

‘Damn,’ he whispered, pushing himself to his feet he walked the short distance to the door. The quiet rain grew louder as he stepped out onto the porch. Flashed of memories flooded him before he could stop them.

‘It’s raining,’ he commented, pulling her back as she tried to step of the porch into the rain.

‘So?’ she laughed, her eyes twinkled with joy, ‘I love the rain.’

She pressed a quick kiss to his cheek before slipping out of the shelter. Despite the rain that fell she was laughing, arms outstretched as she span in circles.

‘Junhyung!’

A smile stretched over his face as he watched her. She’d stopped spinning to turn back to him, her hand outstretched, hair and clothes plastered to her body. He found himself stepping out onto the porch and into her arms. Rain soaked through his clothes and to his skin but the chill he should have felt was overcome by her warmth.

‘Why do you like the rain so much?’ he whispered later, when they were dry and in the wide bed that faced the large window. Rain pattered against the glass and somehow he found it peaceful.

She stirred in his arms, looking up at him to smile gently, ‘it’s gentle, soft.’

A smile formed over his face, ‘like you,’ he whispered, pressing a kiss to her forehead.

She shook her head gently, snuggling back into his arms, ‘like you.’

He shook his head, the heel of his hand pressing against tired eyes, ‘Go away,’ he whispered. Her laughter was suffocating him, her smile ripping into his broken heart. Blinded and deaf he took a step forward, moving his hand to brace against the porch rail but fell, falling down onto his knees in the rain.

‘I love you,’ she whispered, arms rising to wrap around his neck. Her fingers wove through his hair.  He smiled down at her and realized how beautiful she was, even when she was drenched from sea water and rain.

‘I love you too,’ he whispered, ‘always.'’

Their lips met for a moment, a soft embrace clouded with love. Time fell to a standstill, even as the waves crashed around their bodies. How they got there, he was sure he wouldn’t be able to say at that moment.

Everything was still. Everything was perfect.

Slowly, he’d come to love the rain.

‘I don’t miss you,’ he whispered, pushing himself up. He walked away from the beach, towards the road. Hoping that would take him further from the memories. Hoping he’d escape and, at the same time, wishing she’d never leave his head.

In his head she was still with him. In his head she hadn’t left.

‘I can’t stay Junhyung,’ she whispered, pressing a kiss to the side of his mouth, ‘you know why.’

She moved to take a step back but his hand shot out, pulling her back towards him, ‘I don’t,’

She didn’t answer; her eyes simply watched him, telling him not to lie to her. Of course he knew. She didn’t love him anymore. She’d moved on, away from him.

‘Don’t go,’ he whispered. A tear fell and moment later a soft drizzle of rain surrounded them. Never had he thought rain could be so sad, ‘I love you.’

‘I’m sorry,’

She left him with a smile, a smile he returned despite the pain that rattled his chest. He knew, despite his heart trying to tell him otherwise, that he just didn’t have the strength to keep her by his side.

A scream tore through the peaceful air, tears melded with the rain that fell on his cheeks. He slumped, body leaning forward until his face almost graced the cold ground.

Slowly the rain came to an end. Slowly, as he drank more and more, the memories of her faded again.

 

 

Note; Thank you to all subscribers, and commenters :] (Yes you - 'fightingme' <3) It means a lot to know people are reading~ :D