CHAPTER 7

It's Written

Junhyung aligned his schedule with Des’s preferred ones so he took the mid-shift again. It has been three-days that Des would come by around four PM and they would either stay in the café or would walk around the neighborhood. It has been a routine for Des, walking, retracing steps that she thinks was important to her. Junhyung would just follow her around and they often end the day with dinner or him walking her home.

Eunkwang was right when he said that she’s recovering quickly for there would be no day that Des would not remembering even a small detail. Once, they’ve went in a tteokbokki shop and asked if they have some milky drink that she can order. The ahjumma looked at her weirdly for a moment and came back with three packs of banana milk drink before saying: I know you usually order five packs but that’s all we have left. Don’t worry I’ll make your plate less spicy. Des smiled at her gratefully and took note about the event.

“You never liked too spicy foods.” Junhyung commented as they dig in their food. He remembered it from one of her entries how much she loves the tinge of spiciness but hate super hot ones.

Des raised an eyebrow at him, “Did you know I hate spicy food?”

“Wha- I mean, now, we know you don’t like spicy ones?” He corrected and had a large gulp of water. Des only nodded and smiled, patting his new pink notebook. Junhyung knew its for her to track her memories and show it to her doctor every week – and he’s starting to feel really, really guilty for not showing the gray, battered one in his possession. He still writes on it and decided to just rip those pages once he ever decided to return it. He’s still hoping she’d remember him without the notebook’s help.

There were mix reasons why he’s still apprehensive returning it: he’s scared to have her remember and be frantic again but argued that its actually for the best; another reason was, it’ll make him look bad for not giving it soon which argued to something that cannot be avoided; and lastly, he’s still enjoying her company – the positivity her personality brings him, its something that cannot be argued.

He’s liking it too much…he likes her.

And with that, may he be a er, he made the notebook a guide to know her more and she liking him again. Technically, he doesn’t deem it as cheating since it’s still him on the notebook, its like he’s only reliving himself. He’s just a few steps ahead and he’s taking advantage of it.

*

It wasn’t always pleasant though.

Des would have sudden migraines and they would talk about those memories or she would keep it for herself when it was too personal. Junhyung would just smile and they would resume to wherever they were going.

Junhyung would always buy her tokens when they achieve something, it may be a bad or good thought – there’s always something from him. He’d buy girly stuffs like headbands or clips of her favorite color, or he never forgets to bring a piece of her favorite chocolate. Again, the advantage of having her journal.

But it was more than indirectly making her like him, it was also helping Des remember more clearly. Once, he bought an ice cream on a cone with overdosed sprinkles on it (he read from one of her entries that she likes any flavor as long as it has sprinkles on it) and it made Des remembers her college graduation and important bits about her job. She even remembered her old officemates and she would want to set up a date with them. Junhyung kissed the gray notebook – thanking it.

I should work this way then. Not dropping a bomb at once. He smiled.

*

Eunkwang finally gave him a call after five days to check up on them. Junhyung told him the progress and Eunkwang gave a relieved sigh. They’ve talked some more until Eunkwang needed to go back to work. Junhyung was a little uneasy with his friend’s voice but he chalked it as if he was tired from being a serious business guy.

“Take good care of her.” Eunkwang then said and cut the line without even a quick goodbye. Junhyung stared on the phone and nodded to no one.

It was Junhyung’s rest day and she’s to meet Des at a park. It was near his place so he didn’t really need to hurry on preparing. She asked him to accompany her somewhere, at a path that keeps flashing in her mind and she wanted to look for it.

Junhyung brought a backpack with umbrellas and a jacket in it when he saw the darkening skies. He wanted to ask her if she would want to do it another day but decided that they should do it her way. He also threw the notebook in before closing it and headed out his house.

*

Junhyung didn’t wait long and Des was running towards him, smiling brightly, covering the dark weather. He gulped, heart thumping a little. .

“Sorry to keep you waiting.” She said and handed him a soda, “I dropped by a bookstore and bought this.” She showed him some English books in her hands.

“It’s fine.” He simply said and opened his can of coca-cola. “Thanks…So, where should we start?”

Des grinned, “I don’t know.” She laughed apologetically, “Let’s do the usual? Walk around?”

Junhyung nodded and smiled. There was then a light thunder and he looked at Des, who obviously didn’t bring any umbrella. He quickly took out the umbrellas and the jacket, asking her to wear it. He also took her books and placed it inside his bag.

They walked around the area and it made Junhyung a bit uneasy since it was near his place. He didn’t know Des was ever around his neighborhood.

“I think it’s here!” She then exclaimed and they were in a one way path, Junhyung quickly following her.

It was a familiar path to him since he sometimes uses it as a shortcut, it directly leads towards the street where his apartment is. Okay…does she know anyone from here?

They finally got out the narrow street and were looking directly at the building where Junhyung’s apartment is at.

Des looked at lost then, “I’m not sure where to go from here.” She said with a defeated tone and her shoulders slumped. “I don’t know this place but it feels somewhat…I don’t know…”

The rain started pouring hard and before they could even open their umbrellas, Junhyung pulled her hand and they ran across the street towards his building.

“I know this place.” He then said seriously, “This is where I live.”