CHAPTER 3

It's Written

Junhyung scowls. Chewing the insides of his cheeks, staring at the number on his phone, wanting to tap on it and make the call. But what should he say? 'Hey, did you know Des was the notebook girl?'; 'Um, so how you met her?'; and more shizz. Junhyung already memorized Eunkwang’s number by heart. He sighs as he throws his phone next to him. It bounced on the couch and he watched it until the lights gone off.

 

"Bah." He exhaled and roughly scratches his head, wanting to take the thoughts away. Since he saw Des again, there wasn't a moment he doesn't think of her: the notebook entries and what he can remember of her. When he almost wanted to let go, DAMN.

 

It was his rest days and tomorrow he'd get to see Eunkwang again. He will definitely ask how he knows Des...then again, that's the thing...HOW?

 

"Whatever." He growled.

 

So was it always been like this? She's been near but yet so far.

 

*

 

"Sorry, man." Eunkwang approached him first, they were at the lockers changing in their work uniform, "I really didn't know. If only I knew, I should have let you know sooner--"

 

Junhyung was just staring back at him, does this mean Eunkwang knew? "Well-"

 

"I promise not to bail from work again like that. The kitchen people kinda told me that you were a mess after I left." Eunkwang continued, turning his back as he slips out of his shirt and wore their white polo,

 

OH. Junhyung took a deep breath, "It was a quiet day so it was fine."

 

“Really?” Eunkwang beamed at him, “Good but still I don’t know if you something in your mind yesterday, I should have pulled a reliever.”

 

“Don’t take it as a big deal” Junhyung sighed and quickly changed into his own set of clothes.

 

Eunkwang nodded, "Uncle knew I won’t be around and just asked me to bring those papers so he can monitor the coffee shop’s inventories. But I know I should have told you much earlier. Just sorry man. But I promise that will be the last time? And I wouldn't mind you taking a day off as sudden as that. I promise."

 

"I said it was cool man." Junhyung emphasized each word for what he really wanted to hear was all about Des. But it seemed like Eunkwang won't stop babbling about 'Uncle' which happens to be Eunkwang's real uncle and their boss. "But you know you owe me something."

 

"I always did right?" Eunkwang grinned.

 

"Well, I told you about the notebook girl." Junhyung slowly started and saw Eunkwang's eyes lit up as he blushes. “You didn’t tell me you’re seeing a girl…” He trailed off. Junhyung’s sure Eunkwang would start babbling again.

 

“It’s a long story.” Eunkwang stopped there, just giving him a soft smile now.

 

Oh? That’s it? Junhyung raised an eyebrow and stared at him. He was already finished changing and was just waiting for Eunkwang to tie his apron.

 

“It’s…it’s actually a bit complicated.” Eunkwang shrugged, “I’ll tell you soon when we get to sit and drink again.”

 

Now? Junhyung wanted to say but nodded. He knew Eunkwang would tell him but was as just surprised that Eunkwang’s keeping secrets now. Where was blabber mouth?

 

Junhyung sighed and pulled out a shirt from his locker and threw it at Eunkwang. “You owe me for washing this shirt from yesterday anyway, so you pay again for that next drink.”

 

“Sure thing.” Eunkwang caught the shirt and bowed at him before they went out small room to give way to the other crew. Sometimes Junhyung wonders why Eunkwang still works as a barista when he’s rich enough to run his own store.

 

Junhyung chewed on his inner cheeks again, securing the gray notebook in his apron’s pocket.

 

*

 

There were instances throughout their shift that Junhyung wanted to ask bits and pieces about Des. “Doesn’t she remember me?”; “Didn’t you really, really, know she is my notebook girl? MY. MINE. Too possessiveness when he hasn’t even interacted with her more than serving her coffee. But I know more about her. I know her favorite color, favorite movie, favorite food…Thanks to this gray notebook/slambook. And I know she likes me…so why didn’t she even acknowledge that.

 

Junhyung wondered, curiosity getting stronger. Did she knew I have her notebook and just acted like she didn’t know me? Is she an actress? There wasn’t even a hint of recognition.  

 

“Earth to Junhyung.” Eunkwang’s voice surprised him from his back. Junhyung was by the sink, supposedly rinsing the blenders but the water from the faucet was now overflowing on his dishes. Eunkwang gave him a worried look. “You know I can manage it here alone. I can just pull Yoseob out that kitchen to help me serve.”

 

“No need.” Junhyung smiled, turning off the faucet and started dying the blender with a cloth. “I was just thinking about something. Sorry.”

 

“Uh-huh.” Eunkwang obviously didn’t take it but Junhyung managed to get away from his probing when the door opened again.

 

“Welcome.” He said a bit too cheerful and walked over the cashier stand only to stop his steps when Des was the one who got in. She was holding the straps of her backpack as she walked towards the counter, smiling at him.

 

“Hi.” She greeted, her smile getting wider. It must have been awkward because Junhyung just had his mouth open, trying to say something but no sound were coming out. Des turned her direction to the side and cocked his head towards Junhyung.

 

“He’s a bit at lost right now.” Eunkwang tapped his friend’s shoulders and pushed him forward. “I thought you’re gonna be here around nine? We don’t close till ten.” Eunkwang said to Des and was still holding Junhyung’s shoulder. At the least Junhyung had the mind to close his mouth.

 

Des shrugged, “The appointment was quick and I didn’t really want to spend time walking over and over again..you know….” She trailed then tilted a bit to look at the cakes on display, “And I wanted to have some deserts right now.” Des’s eyes lingered on the far left, biting her lip.

 

Caramel. It popped in Junhyung’s mind after seeing Des’s expression.

 

“Can I have a slice of the caramel thingy?” She pointed at the cake she wanted. Junhyung pouted to let out a breath, she’s the same girl. She likes caramel sweets when she bits her lower lip too much, meaning she’s got something going on her mind.

 

Eunkwang quickly released Junhyung and prepared her cake. Junhyung knew he’s looking stupid right now, staring back at Des while she smiles at him.

 

“What would you like for a drink?” Junhyung  placed his clammy hands on the POS, waiting for her answer. Why am I freaking nervous? Iced Americano. Junhyung was certain about her order.

 

“Iced…” Des scanned the menu list on top of the bar, “Mocha, less ice.”

 

“Mocha?” Junhyung repeated, eyebrows meeting in between. Maybe she changed a bit?

 

Des only nodded and got some bills out her shorts pocket but Eunkwang waived her off, pushing Junhyung gently to the side and handed Des her cake. “On the house.” Des insisted on paying but Eunkwang won, already punching the order under his tab. “There you go. Don’t bother Junhyung on voiding that, our assistant manager here can get a little grumpy.”

 

Junhyung crossed his hands, “I’m not grumpy.” Des might misunderstand, he is certainly not grumpy.

 

“Fine.” Des smiled again and took the cake as Eunkwang busied himself with her drink. Junhyung was left on his spot, watching Des walked towards the corner of the shop. She placed her tray on the table near the door, Junhyung disappointed she didn’t go further her usual spot, but took it back when Des lifted her tray and made herself comfortable on the same chair and table she have always been.

 

He’s totally convinced now.

 

“My four-o-clock girl is back.” He whispered and smiled.