CHAPTER 5

It's Written

“She’s my fiancé.”

That made Junhyung spill his own shot of soju on his pants.  It was a confession he quite didn’t expect or even want to hear in the first place. Eunkwang was laughing hard when Junhyung excused himself to clean up in the washroom, those words still ringing in his ear.

“Okay.” He breathed, washing his face and dried his pants off with some tissue. He looked like he pissed on it but his looks was the least of his concern now. Fiancé? No way. He just wanted to know how Eunkwang knew Des and why she wasn’t acknowledging him but yeah, fiancé ---just what the—

Junhyung went back to their table, and just wrapped his jacket in front to conceal the wet part. He sat across Eunkwang who seemed to finish half the bottle already and was already looking tipsy. Though Eunkwang has a high alcohol tolerance, it’s still different drinking when one was tired.

“Truth is…” Eunkwang continued, pouring Junhyung a shot, “We were considered for a marriage, an agreement between our families. Political marriage, whatever you call it. I wasn’t against it – you know how I’ve always been an obedient son.”

Junhyung nodded, not knowing how to react for now as the words fiancé and marriage plays in his mind. And he knows Eunkwang was every parent’s dream to have as a kid - - - too obedient and nice.

Eunkwang poured himself another shot but stared at it for a few seconds, like there was something fascinating on it. “I researched about her before I was sent to Japan to handle some business and it turns out she’s someone really interesting. We were set for a blind date, a month after my trip.” Eunkwang paused and took a couple of shots and took his time chewing on some meat.

Junhyung was just looking at his friend, careful not to say anything for he didn’t want to miss any of the story. So, Des was to get married. With his friend. But she likes me…right? Wookay~

“That day-“ Eunkwang burped and just smiled apologetically before continuing, “That day, when we were supposed to meet, I just got back from Japan but I had to run to the hospital. Well, it was fate, I don’t know what happened…”

“You’re not making any sense right now.” Junhyung said and made Eunkwang drink some soup and water, “What do you mean hospital? You ditched her?”

“No, no.” Eunkwang raised a hand, “I told you she was interesting…she, she…, she ran into an accident… She didn’t have an idea about the fixed engagement, it was just about a date. Her parents said that she was to run away when they picked her up…then she got hit by a car.”

That day…when was that? Was that the last entry in her notebook? Junhyung didn’t want to think about it but he knows where their talk is going…Des forgot about him because –

“She’s got amnesia.” Eunkwang finished his thoughts for him. “She forgot the past few years of her life, thinking she’s still back in college. She knows her condition and we’re helping her regain her memories back- so those instances when she hyperventilates, it was a part of her remembering bits and parts caused by anything. Just like what happened earlier.”

Junhyung let out a breath. “Amnesia…wow.” He can’t help but say those words. So, that explains everything. Why she can’t remember him. Junhyung felt relieved that Des was not purposely ignoring him but a pang of pity came in him hearing that she lost her memories. This is too messed up.

“I’m helping her remember things.” Eunkwang smiled, “It’s been a couple of months now since that accident and for her recovery. Her recovery is actually quick and we’re trying to expose her to the last place she was employed to help. That’s why I decided to work at Uncle’s shop since it’s near her last working place.”

Junhyung chewed his inner cheek. Right now, he’s the one gulping soju shots, one after the other. Okay. Okay. Okay. So, the girl that I’ve waited for is back with no memories and was ‘engaged or not’ with my friend~~~great.

“Haven’t you seen her around the store before?” Eunkwang then asked him, looking serious. “I mean, it’s just a couple of blocks away and then she might have remembered something earlier…what was the last thing she was doing?”

“Ah..ah..” Junhyung started, not knowing how to answer. The truth should have been easy but he too was surprised with his answer: “Drinking Iced Mocha?”

Eunkwang made a silent ‘oh’ and nodded. His phone went off and answered it while Junhyung drank directly from the soju bottle.  Why am I lying? junhyung wanted to slap his face. He exhaled loudly and waited for Eunkwang to finish his call.

“Well, you see~” Junhyung said as soon as Eunkwang ended the call but stopped when he saw the latter’s sulking face, “What’s wrong?”

“It was Des’s mom.” Eunkwang stared at his phone. “They’re gonna bring her tomorrow for a check-up, it seems like she remembered something big and they need assistance in case she freaks out again.”

“Why would she freak out?” Again? Junhyung asked defensively but Eunkwang didn’t notice the tone of his voice, lost in his own thoughts.

“She once did when we went to the park near our shop.” Eunkwang smiled sadly, “It was a memory when her pet cat died. She had been crying for days after that and it really messed her up since she needed to go through the pain of losing her cat again.”

Junhyung didn’t say anything. It was mixed emotions and thoughts for him too. Des going through such times while he wanted to keep it a secret first---well, maybe keeping it a secret for now would be better. Dropping a bomb like this notebook is really going to mess up a lot of things and emotions.

“Hey.” Eunkwang caught his attention again, “Are you good if I take off tomorrow again? I just wanted to know what she remembered…you know, being it happened on the shop and all…”

Junhyung nodded immediately, “Ofcourse, ofcourse.” Junhyung would like to know too but he doesn’t really have a part on this situation.

“Thanks, man.” Eunkwang smiled sincerely, his dimples deep. “I owe you a lot already.”

Junhyung waves a hand, “Just, just take care of her.” Did I just really say that? “And, I’ll be here to help you guys, okay? Hoping all the best for her.”

Eunkwang smiled.

There would be a right time for to tell everything.

*

Eunkwang sent him a text message about Des’s condition. She’s doing well though frustrated since she can only remember vague images from last night. As soon as she tasted the drink, it gave her a different chill then memories flashed in her mind but all faces were unclear. Junhyung now wonders if Des told them it wasn’t an Iced Mocha but it seems like a NO.

It had been three days since Eunkwang took an indefinite leave. Yoseob took over his place first and the crew learned that Eunkwang was their boss’s nephew after too much complaints of him missing.

“Technically, he’s our boss.” Yoseob told everyone when he was really tired of hearing the same complaints over and over again. Eunkwang really didn’t tell them to keep it a secret though they don’t really need to tell. “He is Uncle, our BOSS, nephew, and he can buy this shop if he wants to. So, just shut up and do your work.” Nobody really wanted to see an angry Yoseob and  Junhyung was just laughing silently at the back. Yoseob shook his head laughing with him.

Eunkwang’s a really nice person and often takes things seriously even though he has this always jolly personality. No one can really hate him. But Eunkwang being considered a newbie at the shop and changing shifts anytime, and being late or absent has been an issue among the other coffee shop staffs. Junhyung often asked them to let him since he’s dealing with some personal matters but some just don’t want the idea of special treatments. That was why Yoseob took a step and told them his identity – well, that really made them close their mouths. No need to let them know about what he was dealing, or about Des for that matter.

Des…how can they help her? how can he help her?

Junhyung tried to recall the days she was at their shop. Most of the crew that time was either already resigned or has the morning shifts now. The shop had a bit of a renovation with the wall color, from a dead white to a classy brown. The cakes served were being ordered from a new pastry shop. Maybe, that was why the shop didn’t registered much in her.  And it’s only the drinks that haven’t changed. And the seats arrangement.

And him.

Junhyung doesn’t really know how amnesia works, asides from what he researched from google---and he, of course, doesn’t trust all of it. But for sure he trusts the notebook in his safekeeping  - it will definitely help her remember things.

But but but…that would reveal him knowing her, her liking him, him reading her notebook and using it as his own, etc. It would remind her why she ran away and got into that accident. It might mess up her mind more~

“AISH.” Junhyung cursed out loud and cursed out more when his phone started ringing. Eunkwang? It as been days since they last talked, he didn’t want to bother him too with questions about Des. “Yeah?” He answered and waited a few seconds before Eunkwang spoke.

“Des wanted to tell you something.” Junhyung can’t make out Eunkwang’s tone in the other line. He then heard a soft shuffling, the phone probably being passed to her.

“Hi.” Her voice came in the line, “I remember you.”

*