CHAPTER 1

It's Written

…maybe he’s an underground DJ, those big, bulky headphones suits him…Junhyung smirked and closed the journal in his hands.

It’s one of the few entries he really liked. He had read it too many times, page by page, randomly, out of the blue…bits and pieces about him in fancy inks, candid shots, and shameless thoughts from the writer. It would be from a keen observer, if not a stalker, and the owner of the said journal hasn’t come yet to take it back. Probably because she knew he’s got the notebook? The more that she should take it.

Junhyung was never the nosy one but accidentally saw the contents. He was keeping it safe in his locker and the notebook fell on the floor, showing a page where his picture serving a coffee was glued.  There was a small quotation on it saying: The coffee prince got the brew right, again, with doodles of hearts on the side. It was shock more than curiosity that made him turn the pages. It was indeed a small diary and was mainly about him. He should be scared in a way but was actually enjoying every flip, and he gets to learn more about him from another’s view.  From an admirer? Sure thing.

Well, he knew her. Their ‘four o’clock’ customer who loves his concoction of heavy creamed iced Americano. The girl who would always take the corner seat and would busily play on her gadgets or do scribbles on her light, gray notebook. The one who would eat different slices of cake a day or would settle with some sweet drink or hot tea, depending on the weather. He has kept her notebook when she accidentally left it for rushing out the shop. And he really wanted to give it back directly to her, hoping that he can finally make a small talk that doesn’t start with “What are you having for today?”

He took out a cigarette and placed it between his lips, unlit. He gently flipped the notebook in his hands before carefully keeping it inside his messy backpack and zipping it shut. He walked nonchalantly  back into the crowded sidewalk, dodging from the many busy people going to work, playing with them as he takes his time walking towards his own work place. He’s taking a double shift since he needed to cover for one opener, he didn’t mind, he’s got nothing better to do anyway. But maybe wait for her because it’s a chance that mornings were her favorite now.

*

56…57…58…59…another four o’clock…1…2…

Maybe he should really give up, people change, they can lose interest. Maybe she purposely left the notebook, maybe she wanted him to know but decided he’s not worth her time no more. Maybe this, maybe that.

“Aish.” Junhyung almost cursed, burning himself with hot water. He quickly rinsed his hand and let the cold water soothe it. He laughed at himself for getting lost in his thoughts.

“You going cray? Laughing by yourself again.” Eunkwang, his reliever, was at his side looking at his hand. “Wow, that’s serious. But you’ll live.”

Junhyung just heaved and turned off the faucet. “You’re late. Again.” He winced as he dried his right hand with a towel, the red mark glowing violently all over it. “I’ll just finish this order and go.” Eunkwang gave him an apologetic look and nodded, and was gone towards the employees’ locker.

It’s been more than a month since Junhyung last saw her. Not that he was counting but knowing the journal cover to cover kept him on the calendar loop. And it was already a ritual for him to look by the door, hoping that the next person to come in would be her. It had been like that even before, a secret smile within him everytime she comes in. Probably because of that memory of the first time she visited their shop and the random following days after. There would always be something ‘special’ in her entrance.

Junhyung was behind the counter, tending to a senior couple who were taking their time choosing what to order. He forced a smiled, scrunching his chubby cheeks, tapping the digits on the POS.

“Welcome.” He tried for chirpy but sounded robotic. And as soon as he lifted his eyes for the door, there she was holding her umbrella, trying to manage on closing it while balancing her bag, and books on the other arm. It doesn’t take a genius to know what will happen next ~ CRASH.

All her stuffs were on the floor and she helplessly look at it first before kneeling and picking them up one by one. She repeatedly let out deep sighs and kept on repeating ‘babo’. Junhyung finally found an excuse from the oldies and helped her instead, closing the umbrella first and picking up the papers that flew around the shop.

She thanked him and settled at the seat Junhyung led him to, the corner one with a good view of the street. There wasn’t much about helping her but he quickly felt sympathy when he saw the frustrated look in her. The girl is having a bad day. And as soon as he gets behind the counter he quickly stirred his own favorite drink for he just felt it was right at that moment. Without hesitation, he delivered it to her table and signaled it’s on the house.

She looked grateful and surprised at the same time but nodded, smiling shyly. Junhyung smiled as well and turned around, feeling great from a good deed.

She was a regular after that day, always coming in around 4. Sometimes with friends, mostly alone. She would immediately take the same corner seat, drop her stuffs and wait on queue. She’d had different drinks- in which Junhyung was able to remember. He’d be able to tell immediately which one she’d like depending on her facial expressions. Junhyung loves her “trying to be calm” face, for she tends to order the heavy creamed ice Americano, Junhyung’s own special-not-on-the-menu mix.

DES.

 “Iced Americano for… DES!” He’d take a pause before pronouncing his name because his tongue gets in the way. Des would run up, fill her hands with condiments and thank him before settling back in her seat and start with her gadget and notebook again.  Well, now he knew how busy she was writing about him.

“Hey, thanks for changing shifts with me.” Eunkwang was back from the lockers and tapped him on the shoulder.

“I’m getting a tall drink from your tab for being late and not ‘cause of the sched change.” Junhyung raised a cup, “Nothing’s for free, ya know.”

Eunkwang laughed, “Sure, grab a cake if you want some too.”

Junhyung didn’t wait to be asked twice. He took a double chocolate cake and wrapped it in a bag before waving and thanking Eunkwang for the treat.  Sometimes, Junhyung thinks he’s abusing Eunkwang’s generosity as it is but he’s glad to be on the receiving end for now. He’ll just make it up to him next time.

He glanced back quickly at the Coffee Shop and sighed. Stilll, hoping that she was just late –but  still no signs of her.

He shrugged and walk towards the busy streets, clearing his mind with the thoughts of her and the notebook.

**