CHAPTER 4

It's Written

Junhyung was still waiting for Eunkwang’s drink treat, the latter owes him some explanation, or not.  Maybe Junhyung would tell Eunkwang that Des’s is his notebook girl. Maybe. Just. Maybe.

 

Junhyung shifted the gray notebook from a ‘composition notebook’ to a ‘Diary again.’ This time, Junhyung describing the ‘almost-everyday’ Des visiting them, um, Eunkwang. Describing her as she described him on her entries and making doodles of her orders on the side. He kept track as well on how many hits and miss he got trying to guess her orders. He still can read her.

 

More and more traits were showing from Des, as Junhyung’s memory serves him right. The still-clumsy-entrances were on the list, the gadgets less the notebook, and even the simplest way she stirs her hot drinks. Junhyung sees it too well. Remembers it too well. She might have him written down while she was written in his mind.

 

So, why ignore him? He didn’t change a bit, maybe the hair color, but still the same bloated pretty face. He’s not use to her not looking at him. Or not blushing when he hands her drink. OR just talking with Eunkwang with a different lit on her eyes.

 

Jealousy maybe. But hey, she liked me first. I don’t see any Eunkwang on these pages.

 

He needs a sign. He needs something to push him to ask Des or Eunkwang. He needs timing.

 

Eottoke?

 

*

If Junhyung observes Eunkwang and Des closely, he’d really say they are in a romantic relationship. Eunkwang’s face just lights up when Des drops by while her eyes smile when he attends to her.  Eunkwang would just tell them they are friends, close friends, and they were neighbors so Des drops by for them to go home together.

 

“Nothing special about that.” Eunkwang would brush off their teasing.

 

Junhyung hopes not. It means he has got the chance.

 

*

 

Junhyung has a plan. It’s not really a top-secret one but just a way for her to acknowledge him and since he can read her body language well, he’s got an edge on that.

 

The thing was, the most vital part of the plan was not happening. She doesn’t order Iced Americano no more. She replaced it with Iced Mocha, technically, she replaced almost everything with that drink. Junhyung has to do some convincing skills now.

 

Des was already at the same table when he came back out from the kitchen, finishing a quick snack. She waved when she saw him and he nodded back, waiting by the counter. Eunkwang was out for some errands and told Junhyung to pass the message.

 

“Text her.” Junhyung was counting the cups left on their shelves, finishing his inventory list.

 

“Can’t find my phone.” Eunkwang said and stops Junhyung from writing, “Sometimes I think you don’t like Des…” Eunkwang just gave him a half smile. Well, this friend is very frank about what he thinks and feels.

 

Junhyung faced him completely, “No, I don’t. “ Eunkwang’s eyes turned round, “I-I mean, I like her, not the way you like her but I don’t hate her. Aish.”

 

Eunkwang laughed and nodded. “Good to know. Alright, tell her I’ll be back before the shop closes.” And he dash out the store, showing Junhyung he has his phone and laughed.

 

Junhyung did tell her before she ordered a sweet Oreo cake and her usual Iced Mocha. Bummer. She thanked him before she went back to her seat and was busy again with her phone.

 

Junhyung prepared her drink as he remembers Eunkwang adding more chocolate on it. Junhyung made a drink for himself as well, his own Iced Americano concoction. Hmmm… he can give it to her, accidentally switching drinks…but that would be too obvious if she was just really acting not to know him. Queserasera…. Junhyung hummed before calling out for her name.

 

“Iced Mocha for D-Des.” Nothing’s changed how he calls her out.

 

She skipped her way across the shop towards the counter and handed her receipt.  And as Junhyung handed her her drink, he accidentally bumped the switch for the hot water by his elbow, causing him to dodged from it and spill the drink on the counter.

 

He continually apologized to her as he works his way cleaning the mess quickly while she looked at him worriedly. “I’m fine. No burns.” He showed his arm before rinsing it on the sink.

 

Queserasera… The song still played in his mind and an idea popped up.

 

He turned back at her and handed her the cake and his Iced Americano. “We ran out of chocolate, another reason why Eunkwang’s out right now.” He smiled a little as she took her tray, looking at the drink, “Try Americano for now, it blends well with super sweet cakes like this.”

 

Des didn’t complain and nodded, thanking him again before going back to her seat. But she didn’t have any reaction he was expecting when he handed her the drink. Okay…

 

He watched her took a bite of her cake and received a call on her phone. Junhyung wiped the counter top over and over again, moving closer to her by busing the tables near her. Des finished the call and dived back on her cake before finally taking a sip on the drink.

 

Junhyung stopped, angling himself not to be obvious. He just wanted to see her reaction, a familiar look that will definitely caught her knowing him. Everytime she orders Iced Americano – she’s got this smirk after every sip and often she unconsciously closes her eyes. Junhyung figured out a long time ago that Des already ‘figured’ her Iced Americano was a different concoction than the others. Maybe, she feels special when she drinks it. She is special. No one gets to drink his own concoction easily.

 

Des took a sip again. She closed her eyes and Junhyung waited for the smirk…but it didn’t happen. Instead, Des’s eyebrows met in the middle and she ungraciously dropped the drink on the table, and massaged her temples. Something’s wrong.

 

Junhyung walked towards her and she immediately grabbed for his arm. “C-can you call Eunkwang?” She asked softly, still massaging her head. “I’m not feeling well.”

 

Junhyung nodded and dished out for his phone and dialed Eunwkang’s number. She doesn’t really look well. Did I do something? I didn’t put anything on that drink…maybe I should give it a sip… his mind was whirling with these thoughts when Eunkwang picked up in the other line. “Des doesn’t look good.” He interrupted Eunkwang quickly.

 

Eunkwang’s tone got serious. “Make her rest back on the seat and grabbed some brown bag. Make her breathe on that.” He instructed and Junhyung can hear him puffing on the other line, probably running already. “I’m almost there.” The line went dead.

 

Junhyung did what he was instructed, making her sit back and try to relax. Des was trying to do some breathing exercises and he ran back to the counters and pulled out a brown paper bag. She quickly grabbed for it and breathed, gripping Junhyung’s arms tightly.

 

The few customers left at the shop were looking at them and he bowed, smiling at them. They gave them worried looks but Junhyung just continued bowing until he heard Des cry.

 

“Where’s Eunkwang?” She smiled faintly and went back breathing on the bag.

 

“He’s on his way.” Junhyung said with an assuring tone. “You okay?” He leveled himself to her face and she nodded slowly.

 

“Sorry for making a scene.” She apologized.

 

“What scene?” He mouthed as he gently patted her head and brushes her hair back. But he’s already panicking inside.

 

Eunkwang was then at the door, catching his breath, and ran towards them. Des didn’t let go of Junhyung’s arm but instead dropped the bag and held on Eunkwang’s hand. Junhyung didn’t stop massaging her head.

 

“Can you call mom?” Des asked him with closed eyes, smiling every time Junhyung touches her temples.

 

“I already did.” Eunkwang held her hand, “They’re on their way.” She nodded and calmed down.

 

Eunkwang and Junhyung straightened their bodies, letting Des grip their arms. Yoseob took over the counter first attending on the other customers.

 

“What happened?” Eunkwang asked with a hushed tone, not really looking at Junhyung. His face was full or worry and he gently past Des’s hand soothingly.

 

“I don’t know.” Junhyung whispered back, “She was just eating here and one moment she was hyperventilating.”

 

“She must have remembered something.” Eunkwang exhaled, “Don’t worry, it happens to her sometimes. Thank you for helping out.”

 

Junhyung was to ask what he meant but Des’s parents were already in. Eunkwang lifted her up and lead them out to their car. Junhyung followed with Des’s stuffs and gave it to her mom who was holding her husband’s hands tightly.

 

“She’s gonna be fine.” Des’s dad said to her mom and patted Eunkwang on the back when he got out the car. “Thank you.” He bowed at them both and Junhyung bowed a couple of times until they were gone.

 

“What was that?” Junhyung asked. Still, considering his Ice Americano had something bad on it.

 

“She remembers something.” Eunkwang simply said, as if it explains everything. Junhyung must have a stupid ‘i-don’t-get-it’ look on his face. “Let’s grab a drink. I’ll explain then.”

 

*