CHAPTER 2

It's Written

It wasn’t just all about Junhyung on that journal. It was about her sometimes, her day, her thoughts, her mood. It was always a wonder for Junhyung how a woman’s mind works…atleast  now he gets the idea.

4:23PM

…did I just ignore his smile? WAE? I know it’s because of this monthly period but I can’t just go up to him and say ‘hey I’m having some PMS right now, so don’t think I don’t appreciate that smile’. I’ll be one damned WEIRDO.

4:56

I just got a text message from a friend:

What you doing at that coffee shop and not at home resting? Oh, I know. Why am I even asking…the barista fixation.

Do I really have a fixation that even this cramping feels makes me drop here just to see him? Fixation, inspiration, infatuation…whatever, I ‘m just glad to see him.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Junhyung finds the entry cute and it also made him wonder why he has the ‘fixation’ of wanting her back through that door.  It wasn’t love at first sight but some of her ‘grand-mis-entrance’ made him laugh. It’s not easy to make him laugh, so he liked such change, making him automatically like the one who created such change in him.

“I’ve always been curious about that notebook you’re always carrying.” Eunkwang once said as they cleaned the place before closing down the shop. The kitchen people were already done with their part and left Eunkwang and Junhyung with their chores. Junhyung don’t know if he likes that they were no longer relievers but partners on the same closing shift. Though they’re good friends, Eunkwang tends to be Junhyung’s opposite in almost every way.

“Why?” Junhyung stopped mopping and stood straight, resting his chin on the top of his mop’s handle.

“I don’t know.” Eunkwang continued on his work, “You always seem to read on it every time and give out interesting reactions after. Sometimes it’s like you protect it too much with your own life. But now you seemed to let it crinkle but still have the passion of keeping it for yourself. Is that some kind of a black book or something?”

Junhyung gave out a laugh but was surprised from Eunkwang’s observation. “You can say that.” Junhyung continued on his task, wiping the same spot for some dirt that does not get off.

“Are those girls’ phone number?” Eunkwang started teasing him again, “Yah, don’t keep ‘em all to yourself.”

“Aish.” Junhyung wanted to throw his mop at Eunkwang, “Do I really look like some playboy? Or am I just too good looking you get all intimidated?”

“Both.” Eunkwang laughed and shrugged, “But really what’s within your mysterious notebook?”

Junhyung stopped and thought about it. “It’s not mine.” Eunkwang raised an eyebrow but let him talk. “It’s one of the customers but she accidentally left it, so I have it for safety keeping.” He spoke fast.

“And you’re reading it?” Eunkwang stopped and completely turned to face him, “Okay. That’s some invasion of privacy and so against the law, naturally.”

“I-I know..well, it’s just that..” Junhyung didn’t know how to explain, Eunkwang looking deadpanned at him, “Well, you see…”

Junhyung didn’t need to, Eunkwang was laughing heartily, slapping on his leg. “I was just kidding, man. I know you’re not the snooping kind, so you certainly have a good excuse to do such stunt.”

Junhyung sighed with relief and gave him a smirk. “I know it’s wrong but I can’t resist not to~ it was just too interesting.”

“Hmmm…care to share?” Eunkwang asked but as soon as Junhyung blushed he can’t help but again, “Juicy info? Something to black mail? Or…?!”

Junhyung pushed the mop toward him and cursed. He knew his dongsaeng was just teasing but it only means he can’t keep his little secret anymore.  It’ll be a really long story to tell but he guesses Eungkwang’s got the time to listen. He wanted to share it with someone anyway, he needs advice or he’d soon go crazy with the unknown waiting game.

“Do you have a few hours to spare?” Junhyung took his mop back and started on his task again.

“Don’t you have a part time tonight?” Eunkwang followed suit and went back on his tables and chairs.

Junhyung shook his head “Let’s grab some drinks, I’ll show you the notebook.”

“Sure.” Eunkwang grinned. “And it’s been sometime we haven’t really hanged out. My treat.”

Junhyung nodded.

**

Junhyung was decided to let it pass. After the drinking session with Eunkwang, a lot of arguments in between, he knew he should really stop. Eunkwang had the time of his life teasing him reading the entries page by page – it boosted Junhyung’s ego anyway. It’s not like you get to pick a notebook everyday with words of admiration just for you.

She was just like the wind then, just passing through. But he still kept her notebook ~ and technically, made it his own. He has his own scribbles on the pages he really liked and sort of made the empty pages his own journal. He didn’t use fancy inks but he drew emoticons and poured out his thoughts. Lyrics to be precise, rap ones.

He scribbled a few lines from his head right now, the beat just coming out naturally from him. He tapped the pen on the notebook and shook his head slowly.

“Excuse me, can I order now?”

Junhyung snapped back from his “music world” and bowed to the customer. The day really was dead except for the regulars that have been coming in –and it’s not that he’s not in focus but working alone made it harder. Eunkwang called in late that he won’t be around for some important matter and when Junhyung asked him what was so important, Eunkwang would just say Junhyung will know it soon.

Junhyung prepared the drink to go and went back leaning near the sink trying to continue his writing. He already lost the momentum so he randomly opened the notebook and smiled when he saw the date.

It’s the 22nd, exactly two months since the entry was written, exactly 2 months since the notebook had been on his care. It was the last entry.

Junhyung should smile more. His creasing eyebrows scares me, for real.

I didn’t have any coffee for today, though JH asked if I’d want Iced Americano. I know that mix was special, I had an officemate order the same but mine always tasted different, better. But today, I wanted tea~ I need something to calm me.

Mom called…she’s setting me up again. I didn’t want to but

The entry wasn’t completed but there were cute heart doodles and a printed picture of him again, it was sloppily glued and didn’t have anything written yet. Maybe she was just about to play on it…Junhyun shut the notebook, sighing. I should buy a new notebook really.

Junhyung’s phone went off and Eunkwang’s name was flashing on the screen. He let it rang a few more before sliding the answer button.

“Hyung, I’m coming over to pick up some stuff for uncle.” Eunkwang said and dropped the line. Junhyung blinked a few times and was surprised when Eunkwang came rushing through the door and gave him a salute before he went in the lockers.

He got back out holding a few papers and started preparing a couple of drinks. “I’m so sorry to rush out today…something big just came up.” Eunkwang started explaining while preparing the drinks, “I really had to focus on this or I might lose it again. I’ll make it up to you, promise.”

“Mwo? What is happening?” Junhyung asked getting out of his way though. Eunkwang did look like he’s on a rush but not panicking. He looked extra happy, his weird shaped eyes says so.

“Oh .” Eunkwang cursed when he accidentally spilled one cup on his polo shirt. Junhyung offered his locker keys for his spare polo and cleaned up the mess Eunkwang made. Junhyung just shook his head, laughing how his friend acted.

“Welcome.” He automatically greeted when he heard the door opened.

The time stood still as Junhyung’s beating heart echoed in his ears. It could be time travel or it could be hallucination but she was there standing by the door, holding some books as she tried to close her umbrella. It won’t fall­­­-CRASH­-no way.

Junhyung was frozen but still had the mind to bite his tongue, which hurts, and quickly helped her to pick up the books and umbrella. Without taking his eyes off her. Is she???

She bowed continuously, reaching for her stuffs from Junhyung’s hands and gave her a sweet-familiar grateful smile.

“A-ah…” Junhyung tried to speak. Des. You’re Des, right? The “Des” raised an eyebrow but still smiled, thanking him still for helping her out.

“Hey!” Eunkwang’s voice then zapped him back, “Sorry, it took me long, I had to change clothes.” Eunkwang said directly to her, “By the way, this is my partner here, Junhyung.”

“He-he…llo” Junhyung tried to talk again but his tongue too thick, was really getting in the way. Or his voice, or his mind…he’s losing it.

“You okay?” Eunkwang tapped his shoulder. Junhyung nodded fast. “Anyway, we have to go. Uncle’s waiting for us.” He took the books from her arms and led her out the door.

“Wa-wait!” Junhyung stopped them. He quickly turned around and grabbed for Eunkwang’s drink from the counter and added a bottled tea. “You were making this one earlier.” He handed it to them and she took it from him, smiling still.

“Thanks.” She said, “By the way, my name is Des. Kwanggie here tends to forget everything even introducing me.”

“Sorry.” Eunkwang just shrugged laughing as she slightly pushes her out the door and both of them waved goodbye to him.  Finally they were out of his sight but he stayed by the door. Not believing what just happened.

She’s back.

Des is back.

**