You Might Have Noticed

Uneasy Hearts Weigh the Most

song: You Might Have Noticed by The Academy Is...

 

Jonghyun POV:

 

 

As soon as I saw her walk out of Studios Go I knew I had to follow her. It’s been so long that I’ve seen her. It’s been 4 years since I last saw here. When did she move to Santa Monica? How come I just saw her now? Why is she with that Korean ? Why – Thud. I crashed into a pole. I never took my eyes off Stephanie while I dusted my jeans off and picked up my bike.

 

 

It was four years ago in middle school when we officially met. When knew each other since we were kids but she doesn’t remember most of it so I wouldn’t consider childhood as an official meeting.

Four years ago was when I met an amazing Spanish girl who had won my heart. Four years ago I decided to be with her forever. But that was the past. I was a stupid kid back then. I let her go because I was a stupid kid. She got away from me because I let her get away.

 

Staring at them, I noticed they were heading to the popular burger place. As I followed them, memories flooded my head. I had to admit she wasn’t as attractive back then as she is now. She was pale and flat chested, she never looked me in the eyes, and she didn’t smile often. That didn’t matter to me though. She was still beautiful.

 

 

(Flashback)It was on a Thursday when we met back in middle school. She was wearing a pink pullover sweater and black sweatpants. She was presenting her monologue in English class. Since I was an assistant in the office, they sent me to leave a note from the office to the teacher, but as I opened the door I was mesmerized by her power and her beauty. Like today, I thought of every question in my head. What is she doing here? Why is she at my school? Why am I standing here like an idiot? She had stopped her monologue and was now staring at me with wide eyes. She knew who I was. I gave the note to the teacher and I walked out not wanting to embarrass myself any further. See I had the-most-popular-and-good-looking-of-the-whole-school slot filled out already. I had to maintain that position if I wanted to be someone. Like I said I was a stupid kid back then.

I raced to the office to pick up my belongings and waited outside the classroom until she got out.

When she did I was stunned to see we were the only two in the hallway.

“Stephanie?” It came out as a question. I mentally face palmed myself for sounding stupid.

“Um… Hi?” She looked at me with wide eyes and she had a nervous stance. I rubbed the back of my neck nervously.

“Why are you out of class early?” Wtf Jonghyun! Seriously? You came all the way over here to ask her why she is out early? STUPID JONGHYUN!

Being polite she responded, “I have to be early to a dance audition.” She gulped and said, “Kim Jonghyun, is that you?” She whispered quietly.

I looked up at her and smiled. I felt like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. “Yes Stephanie, it’s me.” I said looking into her eyes. She smiled wide.

“It’s been so long like 10 years ago.” She practically yelled.

“I know Stephy bee.” And we collided in a hug that felt perfect.

 

When I was four my mom decided to make us move to Santa Barbara. Stephanie’s mom was heartbroken since our moms were best friends. But it was inevitable. When we moved I had lost contact with Stephanie. But our mothers kept us informed which really didn’t matter to me because I wanted to see her. So when I saw her back in middle school, I never wanted to leave her side. So why am I not talking to her now?

That same year I had made the biggest mistake of my life. Since I was the most popular I had an image to protect. I hung out with the worst jerks at school but it boosted my popularity level. It was towards the end of the school year. I was preparing to transition into high school. I had planned on meeting Stephanie so we can get some lunch. It felt like a perfect day to tell her how I felt….

 

I car honked and I realized I was standing in the middle of the road. I got off my bike and continued to follow them. They sat at a nearby both so I decided to sit across the room so she won’t see me. I took a close look at the guy she was with and I suddenly hit me. It was Taemin! Taemin had been her best friend since before everything went down that year. I felt a sudden hint of jealousy. I watched them closely trying to listen to their conversation. I felt like that stupid vampire . What’s his name? Robin Pansyface? Dustin Robertson? Edward Paterson? Whatever you get the idea!

“Excuse me Miss.” I called the waiter over. She was Korean.

“Yes?” She asked annoyed. I bowed as a sign of respect and continued.

“What is she drinking over there?” I asked pointing to Stephanie.

She took a breath and thought for a while. “Raspberry Iced Tea, why?”

“Get her another drink please.” I handed her a 10 dollar bill, “And keep the change.” I bowed again and gave her a smile. She blushed and walked away.

I saw here take the drink to Stephanie’s table. Crap! I can’t let her see me. I got up and walked away taking one last glance at her. I saw her tense up and she heard the opening of the door. I checked my clock and I saw that it was getting late. I should be preparing for school tomorrow. With a sigh I got on my bike and rode off. The summer California sun throwing orange beams throughout the sky. I thought of Stephanie and that tragic day.

 

Stephanie POV:

 

Ever since the drink appeared on my table I have had this uneasy feeling. It felt like I was being watched.

It just takes me back to the past. The way Jonghyun stared at me when we were hanging out. Even though we never had a romance I always felt there was something there even though I denied it.

 

(Flashback) It was a beautiful Friday. It felt like a perfect day to spend my time with Jonghyun. I had texted Taemin and told him not to wait for me. Use protection;) He texted me back. I replied we’re just friends. Sure you guys are XD and with that Jonghyun was walking towards me. He waved and had a goofy smile on. I waved back and walked towards him. He hugged me and I kissed him on his cheeks.

“So let’s go.” I said and started to walk away. But he grabbed my wrist and pulled me back.

“Steph, there’s something I’ve been wanting to tell you.” He looked intensely into my eyes.

“Yes?” I asked stupidly.

“I w-was j-just….” He’s stuttering. That’s so adorable. He sighed and took a deep breath. Suddenly everything sank in. I know what he’s doing. Everything seemed hot now and I became nervous. I picked at strands at my hair and avoided his eyes.

“Stephanie I was just w-wondering… ” He was stopped mid sentence by Nick, Jonghyun’s basketball teammate.

“Hey JJong ready to go?” He asked Jonghyun clearly ignoring me.

“I’m kind of in the middle of something.” He said looking at me. Nick turned to face me.

“With her?” He started to laugh. He nearly fell over laughing.

“Shut up Nick!” He seemed angrily.

“Oh Wow! Jongie! WOW! Seriously? Her? I mean she’s not even Korean! Or pretty!” He yelled. I felt like I was slapped. I felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest. I just thought to myself. Stephanie don’t cry.

Suddenly his other friends showed up.

“What’s going on Nick?” A short fat guy patted Nick on the shoulder.

“JJong here was going to make this girl here his girlfriend.” He shouted and started to laugh again. As on cue everyone else laughed along with him.

“Okay seriously JJong let’s go!”

 

I felt a tear roll down my cheek as I lay on my bed. I could never forget this memory. It haunts me every day. I mean she’s not even Korean! Or pretty! I mean she’s not even Korean! Or pretty! I hate Jonghyun. He didn’t even bother to defend me. I mean she’s not even Korean! Or pretty! I hate him! I mean she’s not even Korean! Or pretty!

 

Jonghyun POV:

 

“Oh Wow! Jongie! WOW! Seriously? Her? I mean she’s not even Korean! Or pretty!” He practically yelled and started laughing again. All I wanted to do was punch his face but I had to maintain my cool. I didn’t want to commit social suicide. I heard a group of guys walking near us. I turned to see Nick’s friends.

“What’s going on Nick?” Brock asked.

“JJong here was going to make this girl his girlfriend.” This girl? What the hell Nick? This girl? I really wanted to punch him in the face now. What the hell? You’re not Korean either!

“Okay seriously JJong let’s go!” Nick said authoritively. I turned to see Stephanie. As soon I saw her I regretted it. It killed me to see her in pain.

“No!” I yelled at Nick.

“What did you say JJong? Remember if you chose her might as well say goodbye to your life.” A little dramatic don’t you think? But like I said I was a stupid kid back then. I froze thinking about what to do next.

Nick continued “I mean come on JJong look at her; you can do so much better than her. She’s not pretty and she doesn’t look worth it.” His words ripped me apart. How could he say that?

“Let’s go Jonghyun.” Key spoke out softly glaring at Nick. Key understood. He was my best friend. He knew I cared for Stephanie, why was he telling me to leave?

“Awww poor JJong looks like he’s going to cry…” Nick announced. Everyone started to laugh.

I can’t let my popularity die over this.

“Shut up Nick. You know this girl doesn’t mean anything to me.” I said coldly. Key looked at me in amazement. He’s probably thinking ’what are you saying you love this girl’.

“That’s what I thought JJong.” He patted my back. “I knew you wouldn’t leave us for her.” He said it disgustingly.

“Yeah what was I thinking. She's nothing to me. I could care less about her.” I said regretting every word that came out of my mouth.

“Awww look” said Brock, “She’s going to cry.” I couldn’t dare look back at her. If I did I would have probably run to her and comfort her. I’m sorry I thought.

“Brock just leave her alone. Let’s go!”

“JJong! She’s crying.” Brock said, “Sweetheart welcome to the real world life isn’t a fairy tale babe.”

“Yah!” Key screamed. “Let’s go!”

They all started chanting “Crybaby Crybaby Crybaby” The turned to walk away.

I never looked back because if I did I would’ve broken down and cried. I heard her say….

“I would have said yes” Then I heard her sobbing and she ran. The echo of her footsteps leaving tracks in my head.

I couldn’t take it and Key noticed it.

“Let’s go Jongie!” and we walked away. As soon we were away from the guys I stared at Key.

“I loved her.” Then Key embraced me in his arms and I started to cry.

 

I tear slid down my cheek. I my lips and stared at the ceiling. I never forgot how broken I felt that day. I hated myself for letting her go. So when I went to high school I felt a relief. Stephanie avoided for the rest of the year and she never responded to my texts. Only to one.

 

J: Will you ever talk to me?

No reply

J: I never meant to hurt you.

No reply

J: I want you to stay with me.

S: I said I’d never walk away but I’m not able to stay. I said I’d never leave this place, but I can’t stay here. To watch you fade and watch you change into someone I can’t face. I can’t replace you.

 

I stared at the text. After so many years I still have it saved on my phone. How pathetic.

I will win her back.