Bombs Away

Uneasy Hearts Weigh the Most

song: Bombs Away by Kyle Andrews

 

Stephanie POV

 

“Alright es! Warm up and get to stretching!” Mikey entered the room with an I’m-in-charge glow.

“Tell him Stephanie, please.” Taemin looked at me with a puppy dog face.

I gulped nervously and twirled my hair in my finger.

“Please, please, please, please, please, please.” He begged.

“Okay fine.”

We were the youngest dancers in the studio. We had been referred to this prestigious studio thanks to our high school dance instructor. Taemin has been my best friend since we were in sixth grade and ever since then we were inseparable. So when we heard that there was an opening in the most elite studio we decided to join. We weren’t old enough but Mikey pulled some strings and got us in. We have been grateful ever since.

“Go Steph!” He pushed me forward.

There were recently a couple openings in the dance scene. Scotty, the head choreographer and owner of the studio, had made an announcement that she was looking for a couple junior choreographer. Taemin and I decided to get advantage from Mikey, Scotty’s assistant choreographer, by letting us practice with his advance class.

“I am!” I glared at him.

Mikey isn’t the type of guy to mess with. Being the youngest in the studio means we’re balancing on a tight rope. If we do anything to upset him, he can rip apart our dreams of becoming great dancers.

I swallowed my nerves and made my way to his office.

His small chic office that had an amazing view of the beach and contained 3 orange walls and one wall made of glass with ivory curtains. Comfortable looking furniture and many pictures of him and Scotty, him and Jenny (assistant choreographer), and the whole elite dance scene. Scotty, the leader, Mikey, Jenny, Monica, Ethan, and Jack and Jacky (the twins who are leaving the group.)

 

“Mikey!” I sang.

“Si, honey bee!” He said unmoved.

“My sweet Mike.” He stopped looking at his phone and eyed my with suspicion.

“Yes Stephanie?” He looked into my eyes.

I gulped and put on my best smile, which means something because anyone that knows me knows that I don’t smile often.

“Well I was just wondering if Taemin and I can stick around and practice with your advanced class because we need the extra p-pra-a…” He cut me off.

“Listen Steph, I pulled a lot of strings getting you here and I pulled even more strings getting TAEMIN here but I owed Loretta since we have been dear friends.” He looked at Taemin and pointed a finger at him and I. “I love you guys dearly and you guys have the fire you don’t need extra practice.” He stopped looking at Taemin and was watching me now. “What you need is to relax and be freer like Taemin there okay?” I sighed and he saw my reaction of disappointment. He sighed as well.

“But if you must,” He took a deep breath and was stunned to see Taemin next to me, “you guys can get in some extra practice but only if you guys relax.”

We pumped our fist in the air and danced in place.

“Okay give Mikey a squeeze.”

We hugged and he suddenly became serious. He turned to the class.

“What is this? Nobody said to sit on your lazy asses, get to stretching es.” He yelled. Everyone jumped up and started moving.

“You too Steph and Tae! Go.” He was starting to walk away. “Come on you guys there are 2 weeks till auditions and… ”

 

“So do you think we have a shot?” Taemin asked me.

“Most definitely!” I smiled huge, which comes easy when I’m with him, and we high fived each other. I heard Katy Perry blaring out of the speakers and I knew it was show time.

 

Two hours later Taemin and I were sitting in a booth waiting for our cheeseburgers.

“Practice was good but if only you time your turn a bit more you could become in sync with Tanya and that other girl whatever her name is. Clearly you are better than them but if you nail the turn you would look like a floating fairy.” He said his ice cream cone.

“Thanks Min but I can never get that part it’s just frustrating.” I said as my stomach growled.

“Don’t worry Steph! With practice you can totally get it.” He his ice cream again and laughed.

The swoosh of a door sent a shiver down my spine. I fought my urge to look back. The opening of doors just takes me back to the past, four years ago when I saw him, Kim Jonghyun. I mean I shouldn’t be dwelling on the past and I should try to forget him but it’s hard. It’s hard because my mom still talks to his mom. We were childhood buddies and I have heard many stories of us together but I don’t remember much of it. Only a few pictures here and there of us. My mom would tell me that he would bring me flowers and we would play in the swing set in my backyard. These were distant memories that a barely remember. I just remember a blur of an Asian kid, Korean, in my past. He moved away when I was 3 and it wasn’t until 4 years ago when he entered my mind.

 

The swoosh of a door brought me back to reality. The cool breeze calmed my face from heating up.

Taemin punched me in the arm. “What are you thinking about noona?”

“Nothing, why?” I took a sip of my iced tea.

“You looked lost for a second.” He said finishing up his ice cream cone.

“I’m probably just really hungry I guess.” I shrugged. If only that were the case.

“Speak of the devil.” I expected Kim Jonghyun standing behind me but it was the waiter.

“Enjoy the food.” She smiled and winked at Taemin. I laughed and ate a fry.

“This is compliments of the gentlemen at the table across the room.” The waiter came back and handed me another iced tea.

I turned to see no one in the table. “I guess he must have left. Well enjoy your food.” She turned to walk away.

 I heard the swoosh of the door open then close. I felt uneasy as I stared at the drink.

“A secret admirer?” Taemin raised an eyebrow.

“Who knows?” I laughed it off and continued eating. I’m starving.

“Yeah, you eat! Ignore me. But remember new school tomorrow. And yes I will be there with you the whole time.”

“Thanks Min.” I gave him a hug and a kiss on the cheek. It was custom for me to give friends a light kiss on the cheek. That’s the way I was brought up. Even though I am 5 months older than him he’s still my best friend. Starting my junior year with my best friend at a new school is nerve racking but Taemin is familiar with it he can guide me through it. What can go wrong?