Crossing the Right Path

Fate

Crossing the Right Path


 

“I am leaving now,” said Yoona to her best friend who only gave her a mumble.

“Jessica, I’m going to spend lots of time with Kibum. Wish me luck!” Yoona’s eyes were sparkling. Unintentionally made Jessica wanted to roll her eyes but fortunately she didn’t. Yoona waved her hand to Jessica and left.

 

“So they left both of us, huh?” said Donghae who had just come out of the toilet.

“Yeah,” Jessica mumbled.

“I guess we have no choice but to have fun together, right Jessica?” Jessica looked up at the guy who was grinning childishly but still in a charming way, with his hand asking for hers. She regretted. She regretted looking at him and admitting how attractive he was that time. But being the cold girl, even the most handsome guy in the world would never stop Jessica from walking straight away.

“Hey, Sica-”

“Don’t call me Sica!” snapped the girl. She stopped walking, turned around and continued, “Don’t ever call me Sica.”

“Why? Kibum called you that.” Donghae demanded an explanation. An explanation he had actually known. Being attacked precisely, Jessica was silenced. Donghae used her silence to urge her more, “Is Sica your special nickname from Kibum?”

“No,” the denial, which sounded zero percent assuring only made Donghae more curious.

“Really? Then I can call you Sica, right? Sica?”  Donghae was going to give Jessica her charming smile again but her glare prevented him.

He laughed uncomfortably, “I was joking, Jessica. Forget it.” Thinking that her glare was enough to kill Donghae’s curiosity, Jessica sighed full of relieve. But Donghae didn’t stop there.

“It’s impossible for me to not know it, right? I was just teasing you,” he laughed again. “So when did you two start dating?” he asked, this time in a serious tone. His eyes glared at hers, and it was as intimidating as a detective’s.

“You…really know it?” asked Jessica, starting to loosen her denial.

“Hm? Sure. Kibum is my best friend, how the hell could I not know that? It’s something so important, of course I already knew,” assured Donghae.

“Huh, really. 21st December was the date. So he told you?”

“Well…” a mischievous grin formed on Donghae’s face. At one glance, Jessica could already tell what it was about.

Her eyes widened, “You lied?!” She hit Donghae once, “What the- I should’ve known from the first time.”

Donghae laughed , “Sorry, sorry. But it’s not that I would not notice your relationship, though. Anyway, how was my trick? It always works on every secret including yours, tehee.”

“So great, hae, so great,” replied Jessica sarcastically.

 

They continued to walk, heading to nowhere. Jessica occasionally stopped to see some mannequins displayed in front of a boutique. Her action sometimes made Donghae who was walking behind her bumped into her. Jessica would yell and blame him and Donghae would blame her back for stopping suddenly.

After walking around the 1st floor up to the 3rd floor and down again, Donghae asked Jessica to sit on the nearest bench.

“But, isn’t student council member prohibited to have a relationship?” Donghae asked, more to himself.

“What?” Jessica tried to clarify what she heard.

“No, it’s, honestly, student council member is not allowed to be in a relationship.”

“Oh, really?” Jessica said softly. Her mind quickly recalled her last date with Kibum –the one when he cancelled watching the movie because Leeteuk called him.

That day, in the bookstore, Kibum suddenly released his grip on her hand and stopped his joke. His face turned to be so serious, as if he had just received a bad news –a very bad one. Jessica noticed that and asked him if there was something wrong. Kibum excused himself to the toilet, turned around, and walked away just like that.

She continued reading the book she was holding when some seconds later, a familiar face walked passing her.

 

 

“Donghae, is Sooyoung-ssi a member of the student council too?” Jessica asked, pausing her flashback.

“Oh? Yes, why?”

“Nothing.”

So that was the reason he released his grip on her hand. So that was the reason he turned around and walked away. So that was the real reason she couldn’t tell anybody how lucky she was to be his girlfriend.

Ah Kibum, when you held Jessica’s hand, all she wanted was you to stay holding her like that. Because the Student Council, it, Jessica never thought that reason was enough to make you walk away from her.

 


 

“Sorry, sir, but you are not allowed to smoke here. So please throw away that cigarette now.”

“Who the hell do you think you are, huh-“ the half-drunk guy said, trying to read a name tagged on the girl’s chest. “Yoo-na? Yah, Yoona-ssi. Don’t ever try to tell me what I can’t do!”

“I am sorry, but that’s the rule here. And if you can’t follow the rule, you can leave the place,” Yoona said, as brave as she could ever be.

“Did you hear it guys? This young girl told me to leave the party! Haha!” The man yelled at his gang. They laughed, uttering curses at Yoona.

“All I wanted you to do was to stop smoking, sir. If the smoke detector detects it-“

“What, Madame?” The guy pulled her, hugging her from behind. His friends cheered again, making an ‘oww’ sound.

“Let me g-“

“Let her go, sir. You have heard what she said.” Kibum suddenly appeared. He strongly gripped Yoona’s wrist.

“And why should I listen to you boy?”

“Because here, I have more power than you.”

“Very funny.” The guy released Yoona. He turned his fingers into a fist and aimed it at Kibum. At that very short moment, Kibum took out his walky-talky from his pocket with his free hand. Some noise came out from it before a deep voice of a man heard. It made the guy stopped his action.

“Police, what happens?” the man on the other line said.

“There’s a problem on the east area near the food bazaar. A man is triggering a commotion and disturbing a woman.” Kibum explained to the police.

“Dude, just let it go! Don’t meddle with the police!” a man of his friends yelled. The others pulled his hand away to leave.

“You okay?” Kibum asked, turning his body to face Yoona. He bent a little to see her face, scared as she was the first time that man touched her, startled as the first time Kibum laid hand on her wrist, no, since the first time he came to save her. No, Kibum had made her startled way long before that. Always, everytime.

Yoona nodded. She only dared to look into Kibum’s eyes for some seconds before finally turning away. Now she was looking at their hands. At Kibum’s grip which hadn’t been loosen even just a bit. It hurt, but she never wished this moment to end soon. She would have kicked if it wasn’t Kibum. But it’s him, so not a single move was made to make him let go.

 

Well, Kibum let go, eventually.

“Sorry, Yoona. Did I wound your wrist?” Kibum apologized. He once again held Yoona’s wrist, more gently, bringing hers in between his palms.

Shocked, Yoona quickly pulled back her hand, causing curses in her head for doing so. She told Kibum that she was alright and thanked him for helping her.

It was silent for a moment. This is natural for Kibum, but Yoona was just too busy cursing her previous action.

And the guy whom Yoona had been admiring suddenly said, “Let’s eat something, Yoona. You look awful.”

No, this is not the end, yet.

“Here,” Kibum said again, stretching his hand towards her. Kibum didn’t wait for Yoona’s confused and agape expression; he took her fingers. There he was; walking before Yoona with their index fingers entwining, just like a child, just like Yoona and Kibum.

 

 

Lots of things happened in that single night.

Jessica and Donghae.

Kibum and Yoona.

Lots of things.

 

Including one message from Jessica's father.

 

"Jessica, good news! Father was promoted to a higher position. We are moving to Japan next month."

 


this story.. won't be updated so often. but it will reach its end :)