Awkward

Out of the Darkness

The others pass me, shutting the door behind them and I'm left standing in front of Yongguk, his eyes glued to the floor.

 

"Daehyun's not back yet?"

 

I seem to startle him as he looks up at me as if he hadn't even been aware of my presence. Relaxing slightly, he shrugs a shoulder and we just stare at each for a few moments; when he finally speaks, he's quieter than usual.

 

"He'll come in some time tonight."

 

I nod slightly. "What's wrong?"

 

He smiles half-heartedly and shakes his head before turning to kneel on the mattresses, pushing pillows around. I don't like the way he's acting. It isn't that he's doing anything to offend me, I simply don't like it when any of them are upset over something and there's either nothing I can do or they're not letting me help; however, I know Yongguk keeps things to himself when he figures his problems will be a burden to others, so rather than push the subject I let him keep sorting the pillows. He's trying to distract himself from whatever is frustrating him and getting in his way right now would be a bad idea.

 

Once he finishes, he sits down and falls over sideways, reaching out to me with both hands. "Come here."

 

"I'm not helping you start a fight with Junhong."

 

"We had a talk. He's not going to bother us."

 

Hitting the lights, I grab a blanket and step over all the pillows, lying down next to him; pulling the blanket out of my hands, he drapes it over us. It isn't until I feel the warmth surrounding me that I realize just how tired I am, making me yawn widely. Strong arms pull me over and I automatically curl in to Yongguk's body heat with a sigh, the front of his shirt bunched up in my fingers.

 

"You really should start having naps and taking better care of yourself."

 

"Yeah, yeah."

 

He pauses before continuing. "So what was your decision?"

 

"You're looking at the new rebel leader of Mato, Secret, and LC9."

 

"Really? Wow… I guess that's why you had to head down to N's office earlier?" I nod, smiling tiredly.

 

"I talked to CL from 2NE1 for a bit. Honestly, I don't think it was so much of an "I want to hear your answer myself" kind of thing as it was "I want to get a read on you" kind of thing though."

 

His deep chuckle vibrates in his chest and I smile at the feel of it under my fingers.

 

"I almost want to say that you're too suspicious but all things considered, it would make sense. Besides, with what we do, being suspicious is probably a good thing."

 

"Mm… Speaking of suspicious, I'm worried about the others back in Mato. Maybe it's just me but it just seems to me like everything that we knew could go wrong if outsiders overheard, did go wrong. And all at once."

 

"You think someone was listening?"

 

"I don't know. It's possible."

 

I feel him shrug. "There's nothing that we can do right now but if there is something going on then we need to figure something out tomorrow."

 

"We can talk to Hakyeon in the morning," I suggest.

 

"Who?"

 

"Hakyeon. N."

 

"Why do you know this?"

 

"He said no one calls him by his real name anymore but he wants me to." I can't see him but I can practically feel the heat from his glare; I frown to myself. "Why don't you like N?"

 

"He's replacing me."

 

"I don't see how. It was always me controlling the plans and you controlling the people; just because we're here now doesn't mean suddenly everything you do is going to get turned over to N and his crew. You know our Matoki better than anyone else and I would fight it if anyone tried to take that away from you."

 

"That isn't what I meant."

 

"Then –"

 

"Nevermind. You and I will try to figure things out in the morning."

 

He doesn't say anything else, ignoring me as I call his name in an attempt to get an answer. He doesn't leave me right alone but I feel his warmth diminish as he pulls away. I scowl to myself. If he's going to pout then he can go right ahead and do that. Sitting up, I scoot over to the other mattress and make myself comfortable; I won't be cold for long once Junhong and the others come back.