Casual

Out of the Darkness

"Did you have enough time to think it over? A day to think is quite rushed."

 

"There wasn't much to discuss. I mentioned it when we were eating but the question was just passed right back for me to decide. If you'll have me, I would be glad to do what I can." N smiles at my response.

 

"Of course. I wouldn't have suggested it if any of us were going to change our minds."

 

"So who am I going to be talking to again?"

 

"Only Chae Rin tonight. She's the leader of 2NE1."

 

"Aren't they connected to assassins?"

 

N chuckles. "2NE1 is best known amongst those rebelling or wanting to rebel for training skilled assassins, yes. Chae Rin is an assassin herself, but she and her cell have been inactive for some time in favour of working on furthering our efforts."

 

"They sound like my kind of people."

 

"Probably. I hear Matoki are very good at covert work."

 

"Specializing in sabotage," I smile spitefully. "I thought I was supposed to speak to the others tonight as well, though."

 

"Ideally, however it would seem that some of the others are dealing with situations similar to what happened to Daehyun and Taylor."

 

"That's too much of a coincidence to actually be a coincidence. I'll bet my breakfast the government has started sending troops to watch districts that have been trouble in the past. If that's the case, then I'd like to send Jongup and Yongguk out to scout around the border at VIXX for a couple days. With all due respect, your guys are good but stealth is second nature to mine."

 

"She has good instinct." I nearly jump out of my skin at the unfamiliar voice. "Come on, I can hear you guys but I can't see you. Move over, huh?"

 

"Hang on, hang on." N takes my wrist and pulls me along as he sits down in front of his comm.-link. "Good to see you again, CL!"

 

"Now we talkin'. What's goin' on, N?"

 

"Quite a lot recently. Remember the new leader I suggested?"

 

"What about her?"

 

"There was an incident in Mato a few days ago. An attempt was made on Bree's life, as well as the lives of her second in command and her youngest brother. This after she was forced to kill a Rat for finding his way into her office and discovering the direct tunnel between Mato and our base."

 

"Well, . So let's hear what you've got to say, girl. Sit down, I wanna see your face."

 

I look around for another chair and shrug. N laughs to himself and stands up, giving me his seat. I sit back and study the girl on the screen in front of me just as she's giving me a once over as well. If I were to make a call on her personality by her appearance, I'd say she's confident in herself and her abilities, but the look in her eyes is sharp, almost calculating – unquestionably smart and deserving of her role, she's in no way someone to be underestimated.

 

"So you're Bree, huh? Well, it's nice to know we've got another girl on the team."

 

"What makes you so certain I've taken you all up on the offer?"

 

"The way you're sitting, for one thing. I know a strong woman when I see one. Besides, you've lost your home to the s in charge – joining us is your best bet to get it back."

 

A grin spreads slowly across my face. "I like you. You don't mince words."

 

"CL."

 

"Bree."

 

"So I've heard," she says with a smile. "What all has N told you about the way things are goin'? It was agreed he'd bring you up to speed when you were handed the offer but everyone knows how crazy things can get when you got way too many people to keep an eye on. The borders are a good example of that."

 

"Pretty much everything, actually. I thought I was informed back in Mato but this is a whole new game to play."

 

"No doubt. You understand that you'll have more than Mato to watch over though, right?" I'm stunned. "Apparently that was something you were unaware of. N and the others have been running ragged tryin' to keep track of their own districts, as well as Secret and the loose cannons over in LC9. Now you should know that Secret has their together, it's simply one too many districts for the boys you're with. LC9 however… Well, let's just say I wish you luck. They're good guys but their group is too new, too disorganized – the way they're goin', they're eventually gonna to get themselves and a lot of other people killed and that's the last thing any one of us wants."

 

"If there's one thing I'm good at, it's stepping on throats," I deadpan. "Growing up, fighting was a favourite pastime and knocking some heads together is par for the course."

 

"Sounds like you fit right in there," she laughs. "Hey, N!"

 

"Hi, Chae Rin!" N chirps happily, leaning over.

 

"I can't stay on much longer since I need to check out the border myself, but I gotta say, this girl seems like she's gonna be good for us. You wanna let them know tomorrow, a'ight? Talk to y'all later!"

 

The screen goes black and I fall back in the chair – I had no idea I was holding half my breath the entire time. I close my eyes and lean my head back, sinking down with a sigh. When I open them again, N is standing directly over me with a grin.

 

"So how do you feel now that you're in charge?" N asks with genuine curiosity. "Also, I want my chair back."

 

I groan in protest and drag myself up out of his chair to sit on his desk, resting my forearms on my knees as my feet swing nervously. "I don't know. I feel like I'm still myself but…"

 

"But?" N questions as he stands up from his chair, reaching out to run his hands down my bare arms, his thumbs sweeping gently over my skin.

 

 "At the same time I know that things are going to be pretty different from now on. My guys are going to have to start going back and forth between Secret and LC9 a lot more while I stay here, which is going to be really hard for me on the nights there's no one here."

 

"Well, if it gets to be too much, my door's always open to you."

 

I smile in thanks as I look up only to realize how close he is. "N, I –"

 

"Hakyeon."

 

"I'm sorry?"

 

"My real name is Hakyeon. No one calls me that anymore, but… I'd really like it if you would." The look on his face, in his eyes, is somehow familiar but I brush the thought away as he moves closer, his warm breath fanning my lips.

 

"Hakyeon…"

 

Soft lips press down against mine boldly, neither asking permission nor willing to push me any further until my eyes slowly close as I melt in to him, my hands coming up to rest against his chest. His lips slant across mine for a deeper kiss to which I gladly respond, gasping in surprise as he gently my bottom lip in to his mouth, nipping as he lets go. He pulls away, just barely, to look me in the eye to see if he'd crossed a line. I slip my hands up to cradle his neck and when I tilt my head up until my lips are lightly touching his, he wraps his arms around my waist and drags me forward. His lips massage mine languidly, never letting me catch a full breath of air as he lets a hand travel up to tangle itself in my hair, the other coming to rest in the small of my back. His tongue slips in to my mouth, tempting me to explore his mouth as he does mine, and I moan softly when his tongue caresses mine fervently. He tastes good. How is it possible for a person to taste good? I take a sharp breath as his lips leave mine to place open-mouthed kisses down my throat. I slip my arms around his shoulders, Hakyeon against my neck, slowly bruises across my skin as I wind my fingers into his short hair.

 

"H – Hakyeon," I gasp at the feeling of his teeth against my sensitive skin.

 

Taking a hint, he nips at the same spot harder. I'm lost to the sensation that's setting my skin on fire and I swear quietly as he abuses the spot that sends electric shocks through my whole body. It isn't until he drags me flush against him, a hardness grinding into the sensitive heat between my legs that my eyes fly open and I pull back.

 

"Bree?"

 

"I… This is all new to me. I don't know about… I'm –"

 

"It's too much all at once. I'm sorry."

 

"No, it's um… It's okay." I run my hands down his chest and wind my fingers in to his shirt. "I have to go."

 

He presses one more kiss on my lips. "Fourth door on the left from the top of the stairs. I'll see you in the morning."

 

I smile up at him, returning the kiss before getting off his desk and heading to the door.

 

"See you," I tell him, slowly twisting the door handle.

 

As I begin ascending the stairs I look up to notice a slight form dashing around the corner at the top. What is Taylor doing out of the medical ward? I shrug to myself and keep going, intent on grabbing one last snack and drink before I crash for the night. This plan goes awry when I look down the hall to see Taylor standing there with Daehyun.

 

Well, I guess I'm not going in there yet! I think to myself, heading directly to my room.

 

I'm surprised to see Yongguk standing on the other of the room putting tools away, steel piled on the floor against the wall; there are two mattresses lying in the middle of the floor, several blankets and pillows piled messily on them and spilling off onto the floor. I call out to him and he turns to wave.

 

"Hey, where are your extra clothes?"

 

"Why?"

 

"I ain't wearin' these again tomorrow, and I need something to wear to bed."

 

"In the corner."

 

Sorting through all the clothes, I pull out an oversized tee-shirt and strip off what I'm wearing. The air is cool and I can't help but shiver. Yongguk touches my arm and I look over at him curiously. His fingers are like fire against my cold skin but I can't help appreciating the warmth as his other hand reaches up and touches my neck, a concerned look crossing his face.

 

"These weren't here before. Did you hurt yourself?"

 

I touch where his fingers are in contact with my neck and I feel like I've been kicked. I immediately throw the shirt on and shake my head. Why do I suddenly feel like I need to lie?

 

"I dunno. It's fine. I can't feel it anyway."

 

"It looks like… Bree –"

 

"Ugh. I'm so tired!" Junhong, sometimes I'm not sure whether your timing is perfect or the worst. "Why was today so long? There's nothing to do around here!"

 

"I'm going to go eat before I sleep."

 

"You're not supposed to go anywhere alone," Junhong reminds me.

 

"It's okay, I saw Daehyun there a few minutes ago; he should still be there."

 

Before either of them can argue, I'm wandering out to find food. Passing Leo and Hyuk's room, I hear Taylor's voice. For a moment it sounds like she's giving Leo hell and I decide not to hang around. Continuing on, I notice that the hall lights have all been dimmed for the sake of those sleeping and though it should seem different I can't help feeling like I'm back in the mines. Like I'm home. Suddenly, my heart starts hurting at the remembrance of everyone we've left behind, most of all Himchan and Youngjae. I'm lost in thought as I rifle through the fridge, settling on a large bowl of leftover mashed potatoes. Daehyun is still sitting at one of the tables and I wander over to him, dropping down on the bench across from him and holding an extra spoon up in front of his face.

 

"What?" he pouts.

 

"Don't you sass me, you little . Any hell you got today, you deserved it; doesn't mean I'm going to hold it against you, though. I'm sure the others gave you enough crap as it is."

 

Waving to someone behind me, Daehyun takes the spoon and starts to eat; greeting us quietly, Jongup sits down beside me and takes my spoon to start eating as well.

 

"Seriously? Give me that."

 

Stealing it back, I take a few bites as well, savouring every bite until I find the spoon missing from my hand again. It's a pattern that continues until Daehyun excuses himself, saying he'll meet us back in the room and leaving me and Jongup sitting alone. Taking Daehyun's discarded spoon, I continue eating until I notice that Jongup is giving me a very pointed look.

 

"What?"

 

"I can see what's on your neck."

 

I choke on the potatoes I'm eating. Jongup waits until I stop coughing to continue.

 

"Considering Yongguk isn't here, I'm going to assume those aren't his handiwork. Mind telling me whose it is?"

 

"N."

 

He goes silent for a moment. "Bree, as much as your body isn't my business, you need to take care of yourself. Especially your heart. Even in Mato, most people would find themselves emotionally attached to one person."

 

"What's your point?"

 

"Did Yongguk notice?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"Did you tell him?"

 

"…No. Why?"

 

"That's my point."

 

I look at him oddly and put the spoon down, suddenly no longer hungry. He finishes the last few bites and puts the bowl in the sink before we head back down the hall towards our room. We freeze when we see Leo and Taylor leaving his room, Taylor wearing his shirt from earlier.

 

"Hi, guys," I call out.

 

Jongup snorts with laughter as Leo and Taylor just stand there, not saying anything. I've seen that look before – it's the same look Junhong gives me when I catch him pawning his chores off on the children. Leo suddenly closes the door behind them and stands a little straighter as Taylor seems to be trying to make the shirt longer.

 

"Hey, are you okay?" I ask Taylor.

 

"I'm sorry?" she asks, tilting her head to the side as she looks at Leo.

 

Leo looks at Jongup who shrugs at him.

 

"I walked by earlier and I thought I heard you yelling."

 

"I'm fine!" she answers quickly.

 

"Are – are you sure?" I ask again, pointing awkwardly at the door. "Because. Door. And you sounded upset."

 

"Oh, she definitely wasn't upset…" Leo answers.

 

Taylor jabs him in the ribs and stares up at him as if silently chastising him; I hear Jongup snort with quiet laughter again.

 

"I just needed to talk to him, so he's walking me back to the medical ward."

 

There is an awkward silence as Jongup rests his hands on my shoulders and starts pushing me down the hall. "I'm tired; we need to go."

 

As we make our way down the hall I look over at Jongup. "What the hell?"

 

"They just had ."

 

"Oh…"

 

I decide to drop the subject as we enter our room to find Junhong and Yongguk sitting on our bed. Yongguk has his elbows balanced on his knees, his lips resting against his laced fingers. Junhong, who had a hand resting on his elder's shoulder, stands up with a serious face and looks at Jongup.

 

"Can I talk to you outside for a minute?"