Six

ko.ma.wo.yo

 

(A/N: from this chapter until the final will not be So Eun’s POV)

 

          The corridor of that room was quiet, except the footsteps of nurses in duty. 12:04AM, the neon red number stated on the wall clock.

          “I think you should go to sleep now young man” a middle-aged woman said. She was talking to someone over the phone. “I will see you tomorrow ma’am, goodnight” the voice in the other line said. “She will be very pleased. Thank you, young man. Now go to sleep” she said. And the room was silent once again. The lady went near a bed, wherein a young female was lying fast asleep. “He’s going to visit you. So, please get well soon” she said in a sorrowful tone. She tries not to shed tears in front of her daughter, not now that she needs her mother’s strength not her weakness.

          “You should open your eyes now… Everyone is waiting for you, so please wake up now…” the grieving mother said. She was holding her daughter’s hand; she was hoping she’ll get a reaction. She couldn’t take her tears back, and she let her emotions flow.

          It was almost six months when the girl was hospitalized. She met an accident while going home one night. That same night, she wanted to show her mother something special, but unfortunately, while she was crossing the street, a car collided with her petite young body. She was brought to the hospital still conscious, but passed out hours later and she hadn’t woken up ever since.

          “Perhaps, you have pleasant dreams my dear” her mother smiled while talking to her, “But waking up and realizing your dreams is better. I already saw your present, and I was grateful for that. Please-” she stopped and stared at her daughter. She could even react properly, she just let out a small wail and started crying.

                                    ~~  ~~  ~~  ~~  ~~  ~~  ~~  ~~  ~~  ~~  ~~  ~~

            “Yonghwa hyung?” Jonghyun called out from the other side of the door. It was 8 in the morning, and Jonghyun doesn’t feel at ease, so he went to Yonghwa to start preparing for his new song. He knocked once more, but no response. Sigh. I didn’t know hyung sleeps like a log, he thought. With disappointed mood, he just decided to go back to his room. On his way, he smelled flowers, not the usual smell of flowers found in the school grounds. It was more refreshing. He followed the fragrance and lead to Mrs. Baek, the dormitory caretaker. “What is it young one?” she asked. She was just finished changing one room’s bed sheet and covers. “I-I just smelled something and –” “Yes, indeed. You smelled this flower-scented liquid soap” she showed Jonghyun the soap’s bottle. “It smells so refreshing, is it?” Jonghyun nodded in approval. “One mother of the boarder requested me to wash her daughter’s bed sheet and covers with this” the caretaker let out a soft chuckle. “She has been in the hospital for who knows how long. How I miss that little girl, always has a smile on her face. She’s always been a gentle one, right? That’s why I always clean her room, hoping she will be using it again” Jonghyun noticed sadness in Mrs. Baek’s eyes, but before he asked her if she’s ok, she started walking away with her cleaning pushcart. Jonghyun felt a familiar feeling with Mrs. Baek’s story. He walked a few steps to see whose room is it that has the flower-scented bed sheet and covers. When he inched closer, he felt a thorn pricked his chest.

            “Hyung?” Jungshin spoke from his behind. Jonghyun was startled. He faced his dongsaeng with a blank expression. Jungshin just stared at him for a second and spoke, “Are you alright? You looked spaced out, hyung” Jonghyun changed his expression to make his dongsaeng at ease. “I-I was just passing by the corridor and –” he was cut off when he saw Jungshin was smiling. “You are such a bad liar hyung. Let’s go to class.” Both of them went out of the dormitories and in to their classes.

~after their class~

            Jonghyun went first to their “special room” in the far most building in the campus. He was not feeling well, not that he’s sick. He was, as Jungshin said, spaced out. His focus was nowhere to be found. So, as a result he just walked to their rehearsal room without waiting for the others to come with him. He opened the door, sighed and smiled. I’m here again, little room, he thought. He went to the small board that was hanging in the wall, there he saw a lot of pictures, mostly CNBlue pictures, and then he stared at one picture. “Thank you So Eun”, he whispered.

          After the quick tour around the room, he placed his backpack in one of the desk. He held out a notebook and opened to the part where a page has been torn. That page was full of doodles, the way people do to escape boredom. It was just a scribble, he always thought, he didn’t even realize that he will soon turn that nonsense scribble to a song. He placed the notebook down, and picked up his guitar that he brought to practice the song. He checked if it’s still in tune. Then, he tried singing some of the lines.

 

I’ve always think of you, thank you for your words to me.
I just want to say this feeling of thankfulness to you for always staying by my side.

Until now I still can remember the hidden meaning of these words

So far until now thank you and thank you to you even now, the meaning of moving forward I can understand it now.

Thank You Thank You Thank You

To overcome my weakness, I’m singing right here now

I’ve always see you, thank you for your gentle smile.

~ la la la~

Thank You Thank You Thank you for your smile.
To overcome my weakness, I’m singing right here now.

 

            “Thank you, huh?” Jonghyun was startled to hear Yonghwa’s voice. “A… hyung… I wasn’t, I didn’t know –” His face was red in embarrassment. He didn’t know that they were already in the room, so he was confident in singing. He was still in a shock mode, when Minhyuk tapped his shoulder, “Hyung! That was a good song. You wrote that one? Woah~” he said, totally amazed to his hyung’s songwriting skill. Jonghyun couldn’t react with that compliment, so he just smiled awkwardly. Everyone laughed. “Alright, let’s rehearse!” Yonghwa exclaimed. Everyone smiled in approval.