Chapter Nine: The Accident

Love You Like A Fool

              Sitting in the room, Jessica anxiously yet worried wait for Kris message as she looks at the monitor screen. She moves the mouse to the power button on the far bottom left of the screen. Jessica click on the left button and move it to the “Shut down”, but stop when a message pop on her screen. A click and the message on google hangouts open. It was from Kris.

              “Jessica, are you still awake?”

              Jessica hesitates to reply back to him. Biting her lips softly as her fingers itchy to type, she takes a deep breath and responds to his message.

              “I’m still awake.”

              “Jessica, I want an answer tonight. Seeing how close you and he were….it makes me uncomfortable. I’m jealous.”

              “What answer?”

              “Do you want us to be together?”

              “I don’t know…….we can’t. You’re with my sister. I don’t want to hurt her.”

              “But you want to hurt me?”  

              “No.”

              “You know I like you and I know you like me too.”

              “Kris…..”

              “Jessica, just give me an honest answer from your heart. Do you love me?”

              Jessica stop and stare blankly at the message, hesitating to answer him as she thinks carefully about her feeling and her sister feeling. She does not want to hurt her nor Kris. She cares about them a lot, but she can’t deny her strong feeling for Kris.

              “Jessica?”

              “I do. But Tiffany…..”

              “I’ll handle that. You don’t have to worry about Tiffany. I’ll find the right time to clear things out with her. I promise. Just don’t push me away. It hurts when you keep pushing me away.”

              “Mianhe oppa…..”

              “Would you like to have breakfast with me tomorrow? Fritz Coffee at 9?”

              “I would too.”

              “Great. I’ll meet you there tomorrow at 9.”

              “Okay.”

              “Good night. Sweet dream.”

              “Good night.”

                The chat ended. Jessica inhales and exhales softly as she re-read the message between her and Kris. Apart from her is happy, while that other part is scared and worried. She turns off the computer and walks over to her bed, grab her panda and embrace it tightly in her arms.

* * * * *

Fritz Coffee Shop…...         

              Kris waits patiently for Jessica. The waiter brought two cappuccinos and a snack to the table. Jessica enters the shop walks up to Kris. He stands, walks over to the other side, and pull the chair out for her. She take a seat and he walks back to his seat.

              Kris smiles as he looks at her. “Did you have a good sleep?” He asked.

              Jessica nod.

              “I got a cappuccino and a snack for you. Do you want something else?” He asked.

              Jessica shook her head, “No, thank you.” She said. “Did I make you wait long?”

              Kris shook his head, “No, not that long. But for you, I would wait as long as it takes to see you.”

              Jessica blush. She pick up the cup and takes a sip. “You don’t have work today?”

              “No, I requested off to spend time with you.” He said. “What should we do today?”

              “I don’t know.”

              “Amusement park? It has been a long time since we went there.”

              Jessica nod. “Sure. That sounds fun.”

              “Alright, amusement park it is.”

              “But you have to pick up Tiffany at 5.”

              “We have a lot. You don’t have to worry about that.” Kris confidently said.

              Jessica nod. Both sat and relax at the coffee shop, drinking coffee and eat pastries for an hour before they leave the place. Kris drives Jessica in his car to Seoul Land. He purchased the ticket and the two enter the park. Starting at the zoo, Jessica happily watches the animal behind the fence. Before walking to the next area, Kris quickly reaches for her left hand and hold it. Jessica was a little surprise and blush with her head down. Kris smiles as he take a step closer to her, walking side by side as they tour the park. Jessica has never expected this day to ever come, her and Kris together, at last, happily walking in the amusement park. Riding one ride after another, they remember the times when they came here as kids. Kris in front of rose bushes, take out his phone and pull Jessica to him. With his right arm wrap around her shoulder, he give her a kiss on the forehead and he take a picture of them together. Jessica was taken by surprise a bit. She tiptoe and give him a kiss on the cheek. Kris smiles sweetly. Jessica shyly walks away. He ran after her, hold her hand as they continue their day together at the amusement park.

              Soon, it was time to go. Heading to Tiffany studio, Jessica sadly looks out the window. Kris holds her hand tightly with one hand while the other on the wheel.

              “Drop me off down the block.” Said Jessica.

              “Why? We can go straight to Tiffany’s studio. I’ll just make up excuses.”

              “No.” Jessica refused as she looks at him. “I have to meet Taeyeon at the bookstore.”   

              “Jessica?”

              “Just drop me off there please.”

              Kris sighed. “Okay.” Kris makes a right turn and stop right in front of the bookstore.

              Jessica grab onto the door handle, open the door, and exit the car. “Thank you oppa.” She said with a forced smile.

              “Don’t worry. I’ll take care of everything.”  

              His words frighten her a bit. She close the door and wave goodbye to him. Kris gulp as he watches her for a bit and then drove off. Seeing his car turn right onto another road. The smile fades away. She looks at the sky for a short moment, inhales and exhale before she walks the street to wherever it takes her. Left turn, right turn, she keeps walking the busy street.  

              Coincidently, Siwon, who just arrived at his company, sees Jessica soullessly walking in on the side of the street. He park his car on the side of the building, exit his car, and the car lock at his soft touch on the handle. He watches her for a little bit longer until his phone rings and vibrates against his chest, answering the phone call without looking at the caller id.

              “Where are you?” Donghae asked.

              “I’m….” He paused for a moment as he watches Jessica walk to the park across the street. “I have to go do something. I don’t think I’ll be coming in today.”

              “Where are you going? What do you have to do that is more important than the meeting?” Donghae questions him.

              “That you don’t need to worry. Just take care of the meeting for me. Tell them I can’t make it to today meeting.” Said Siwon as he begins following Jessica.

              “Fine, but you better explain to me later.” Said Donghae.

              “Okay. I gotta go. Talk to you later.” Siwon hang up and put the phone back in the inner pocket of his jacket.

              Seeing her at the traffic light and about to cross on the green light. He immediately runs up to her, grabs her right arm and pulls her back. Her body spin 75 degrees to the right, she sees Siwon in front of her. Her sad face tells him that she must be going through something with someone.

              “Siwon?” Jessica whispered his name, shockingly yet softly.

              “Did you know that was dangerous. You could have been kill.” Siwon said in a semi-mad tone as he fierce stare pierces through her. “What were you thinking?”

              “I’m sorry. I didn’t….I thought.” Jessica tries to find the right words to explain to him, but she could not find any.

              Siwon takes a couple calm breath before he speaks again. “Does it has to do with someone you love?”

              Jessica looks at him, surprisingly. He guessed it right. She was thinking about Kris and her relationship. She was trying to find an answer to their relationship and explanation to Tiffany if Kris break up with her.

              “How did you know I was here?” But before she could go straight to the topic, she was curious how he know she was here.

              Siwon looks to the right, “My company is right across the street.” He said.

              Jessica looks at where he was looking at and see a big tall modern building.

              “I arrive at my company for some paperwork and happen to see you wondering the place mindlessly. Why didn’t you come look for me?”

              “I don’t know where you at? I don’t have your number. How can I possibly look for you?”

              Siwon sighed as he looks at her with a sweet smile. “You know my company.” He said. Jessica was about to say something before he cut her off as if he knew what she was going to say. “I’m pretty sure there’s only one Choi Enterprise in Seoul that belongs to the Choi family. So, I think you know where I work and can come to my company and ask my secretary for my number.”         

              Jessica sadly looks away from his eyes.

              He takes out his phone. “Give me your phone.” He said with his right palm out in between them.

              Jessica looks at him confusedly.

              “Silly girl. Give me your phone so I can give you my number.”

              Jessica smiles lightly as she hands him her phone. Siwon takes it and enter his number and save it on her phone. He test call himself. Once her number pop up on the screen, he hang up, save her number, and hand her back her phone.

              “Whenever you need me, you can always call me.” He said with a soft smile.

              Jessica take her phone back as he looks into his sincere eyes, “Thank you.”

              “No need to thank me. Just promise me you will watch where you are going next time. I don’t want to hear bad news first thing in the morning.” He said, jokingly. He successfully made her smiles with his light joke.    

              “I promise.” She said.

* * * * *

              Kris arrive at Tiffany’s studio. He park in front and waits for her. Tiffany sees Kris’s car outside, she grab her purse and waves goodbye to everyone before she leaves. Entering the car, Tiffany give Kris a hug and a kiss on the lips.

              “How was work today?” Tiffany asked.

              Kris reverses and drive into the main road. “The same as every other day. What was practice?” He asked.

              “Very tiring, but worth it. We’re getting ready for the next show. It’s going to be at the Seoul Theater. You should come.”

              Kris nodded. “I’ll be there.” He said.

              “Everybody is working hard to make this show perfect. A company taken over the years to be so successful.” Tiffany talks about the play as Kris space off thinking about Jessica and the words he wants to say to Tiffany so that he would not hurt her. But everything that he is going to say to her will hurt no matter what. “Did you know it took us took us three days and night to think of a plot that is perfect for the show. This plot will be more interesting than last night show. The dance must be on point as well. The acting must be perfect. This next show can bring the team up to a whole new level.” Tiffany turn and looks at the mindless Kris. “Kris?” She called him, but no respond. “Kris?”want us to perform for as a token of their 30th Anniversary. They requested something profession yet a slight romance and tear that demonstrate their hard work and road they have

              Kris finally pull himself together and looks at her. “What?”

“What are you thinking about?” She asked.              

“I’m just…..” He hesitates for a moment before he speak again. “Tiffany, there something I have to tell you.”

              “What is it? If it’s about the show, then you don’t have to worry about it. Everything will go smoothly what the night comes.” She said with confidence.

              “No, it’s not about that.” He takes his eyes off the road again. “It’s about us. I want to tell you that….”

              “Watch out!” Tiffany shouts as they cross the red light, and she sees a truck coming at them at a very fast speed.

              The truck struck them hard. The car flip and spin around a couple time on the ground before it hit the traffic light. Everyone got out of the car and rush to Kris and Tiffany. Blood dripping rapidly as the people  to them, cutting off the seatbelt and carefully pull the unconscious Kris and Tiffany out of the car onto the medic bed. The paramedics carry them into the separate ambulance and rush to the closest hospital while the police stay behind to collect evidence and detail on the accident.tries to get the doors to open. A few calls the police and ambulance for help. Racing at very fast speed, the police and ambulance arrive at the scene with Kris and Tiffany still strap to the chair. The ambulance crew rushes

              An hour after the accident Mr. Jung and Mrs. Jung rush to the hospital, as well as, The Wu family. Jessica, who is still cruising around the park with Siwon receive a call from Mrs. Jung. Her terrified looks worry him.

              “Tiffany and Kris got into an accident. I have to… I need to go to the hospital now.” Said Jessica in fear.

              “I’ll take you.” Siwon volunteers. They hurriedly to his car and speed to the Seoul National Hospital.he

              They arrive within fifteen minutes and park in the parking lot. Both rush to the hospital. Jessica runs as fast as she could to the Operation Room and sees everyone outside, waiting for the doctors to come out. Mrs. Jung and Mrs. Wu cry as they pray quietly for them. The terrified Jessica falls to the floor.

              “Jessica.” He rushes to her, wrap his arms around her as he helps her up to an available chair.

              “How?” Her voice shook as tears roll down her cheeks. “It’s not true. Tiffany…..Kris…”

              “They will be fine.” Said Siwon.

              More doctors rush into the OR with nurses following closely behind.

              “Please stay strong.” Jessica's voice stuttered as she looks at the OR room. “I can’t lose you both. Tiffany….Kris…please.”

              Waiting for another hour, one doctor exit the OR and takes off his mask. The family hurriedly walks to him.

              “Doctor, how are they?” Mr. Jung asked.

              “The man condition is better now. A few cuts. We stitch it up and bandage the cuts to protect it from splitting up or infected.” Said the doctor.

“Kris….” Jessica quietly whispered his name. Siwon, who stood behind her, heard it.

“The nurse will bring him up to one of the floors once the room is determined. As for the lady…..” The doctor continues to give detail.

              “What will happen to my daughter? Will she be alright?” Said Mrs. Jung frightens tone.

              “It’s going to be a hard decision for you. She has lost her left leg.  We need your permission to proceed the amputated surgery.”

              “Doctor, what do you mean she lost her left leg?” Mr. Jung asked in shock.

              “The accident took away her left leg. It is paralyzed. We have to amputate it or else she will lose both legs.”

              “This can’t be. My poor daughter.” Mrs. Jung cries in Mr. Jung arms. “Her dream is gone now. Her future.”

              Doctor waits patiently for the decision. Mr. Jung gently patted Mrs. Jung back, comforting her as he carefully ponders about the amputation.

              Jessica, who stand behinds them, lost her energy to stand on her feet and fall backward. Siwon catches her immediately and holds her tightly against him, supporting her up. Jessica looks up and sees Siwon worriedly looking down at her.

              “Doctor, do whatever you can to save from losing both legs.” Said Mr. Jung.

              The doctor nod, “I understand. I will do everything I can to save the leg from the knee up so that she can put on the fake leg in the future.” He said before he enters the OR room again. Siwon helps her to the chair and kneel in front of her, holding her hands tightly as tears flowing down her cheeks. At the same time, he finally gets to know the name of the man that’s in her heart. Waiting for hours outside the operation room, Taeyeon finally arrives at the hospital. She runs up to Jessica and embraces her tightly. She looks at the Jung family, everyone is torn into pieces—worries and tears flowing down their eyes.

              “Jessica.” Taeyeon whispered as she pats Jessica’s back gently. “They will alright. They will make it through.”

              “Taeyeon. I scare.” Said Jessica.

              Taeyeon wipes the tear away, “If you're scared. They're will be scare too. We need to be strong. Tiffany and Kris will be strong as well.”

              Jessica nodded as she rests her head on Taeyeon left shoulder. Siwon inhales and exhales softly as he watches Taeyeon comfort Jessica. He takes a look at everyone and then at the OR room signed—still glowing red. Siwon walks down the hall, take the elevator to the main level, and head to the cafeteria.

              “Siwon!” A man shouted his name.

              Siwon turns to the side and recognizes the man calling his name.

              The man walks up to him with a smile, but it fades away when he sees the worried looks on his face. “What wrong? What are you doing here?”     

               “The daughter of a friend got into an accident and is now in the OR room. I came with their younger daughter and now everyone is waiting outside the room.” Siwon explained.

              “Was is that couple on the news?” Nichkhun asked. “Tiffany Jung, the oldest daughter of Jung Enterprise?”

              Siwon nod. “Yes.” He answered. “What are you doing here?”

              “I came to visit my grandma.” Nichkhun said.

              “Is she okay?” Siwon asked with concern.

              “She’s fine now. So where are you heading to now?”

              “To the cafeteria. I figure I get them something to drink and eat while waiting.”

              “So considerate of you. I’ll walk with you.”

              “Okay.”

              Siwon and Nichkhun walk to the cafeteria and grab a few drinks. Siwon pay. Nichkhun helps him carries two trays of hot drinks. Siwon carries the other two trays. Both take the elevator up to the first level, and down the hall to the main OR room at the end. They hand out the drink to everyone.

              “Jessica.” Siwon called her name softly. She looks up at him and he handed her a hot drink—he took her hand and wrap it around the cups, warming her up. “I know you don’t want to eat anything, but at least drink this. It will give you the energy to fight along with them.” He said. “You don’t want them to worry about you too, right?” Jessica shook her head. “Then drink this, okay.” He said without taking his eyes off her. Jessica carefully drinks the coffee.

              “This is for you.” Said Nichkhun as he hands Taeyeon the last cup of hot drink.

              Taeyeon looks at him as she accepts the drink. “Thank you.” She said with a soft smile.

              “You’re welcome.” He said, returning with a calm smile.

 

To be continued………… ………………