Authority

Dealing with Reality - dropped -

 Dealing With Reality

CHAPTER FIVE : Authority

Sehun - Luhan

Reality is cruel and harsh...But that's what love is for...

The next day, Luhan was up bright and early – although he was unceremoniously dragged out of bed by Xiumin – and ready to attend his very first board meeting. The date had been marked with a large red exclamation mark on the calendar sitting on the top of his desk (courtesy of Xiumin) and he had made sure to look extra presentable today. It wasn’t as if he was trying to maintain Sehun’s reputation, it was more like getting his name out there for future career possibilities. At least, that’s what he kept trying to tell Xiumin – and himself – to convince the other of it. By the time the two brothers made it into the office, it was still pretty early, a few hours to go before they had to go for the meeting. However, much to Luhan’s surprise, when he got to his desk, he saw a dim light from under the Sehun’s door, suggesting that someone was already inside. Curious, he cautiously knocked lightly on the door, gasping when he heard a quiet “Come in.”

 

Why is he in so early?” thought the redhead as he walked into the younger’s office, bowing slightly. He took in the sight of Sehun shuffling through the stacks of papers on his desk, glasses sitting on the bridge of his nose. “He actually does look quite handsome when he’s serious, which I kind of already knew… Wait, snap out of it, Luhan! It’s all just a lie.”

After a few moments of silence, Sehun finally looked up, raising one of his eyebrows questioningly.

“Is something the matter?”

“Huh? Sorry, what?” Luhan was pulled out of his thoughts, shaking his head clear of the cloud that was threatening to appear.

“I said, is something the matter?” repeated Sehun, his voice light. “Since you knocked on the door of my office, I assumed you needed something?”

“O-Oh, I just- Erm- Ah, do you want some coffee, sir?” Luhan smiled as he came up with the question, content at finding an excuse for his mere curiosity. Although the smile faltered as he witnessed Sehun’s grin, evidence that the other saw right through it.

“It’s alright, I wouldn’t want to risk getting stains on any of my blueprints,” he hummed, looking back down at his work. “You can just double-check my slideshow for the meeting this afternoon and see if I missed any errors,” he added, motioning for Luhan to take his laptop. Luhan took the laptop carefully, making sure not to press any buttons accidentally. He had a habit of ‘accidentally’ deleting his work many times, to the point that it wasn’t even funny anymore… Just as he was leaving the office, Sehun called out to him, “Oh! And if you manage to mess up anything... Well, let’s just say that the consequences will not be pleasant.” Although his voice was as sweet as honey, Luhan knew that the threat was not an empty one. He shivered as he sat back down on his seat, gingerly scrolling through his boss’ presentation, hoping to God that his butter-fingers wouldn’t mess anything up.

 

-

 

Luhan did not know what to expect from his very first board meeting, but it certainly was not this. All of these old-looking businessmen were watching Sehun with great interest as he stood on the podium at the front of the large room, all of their attention trained on the younger. He was speaking with such passion, Luhan thought that it was almost as if he was a completely different person. When Sehun finished his presentation, the room was filled with dignified applause.

“Thank you for your hard work, Mr. Oh,” said one of them, someone that Luhan identified as the head of the board. “That was truly the work of a worthy candidate to be CEO; I cannot wait to see the complete implementation of your project.” Sehun bowed at the compliments, making his way down from the podium. “Oh, and before I forget. Mr. Kim, you shall be working alongside Mr. Oh for the duration of this project.” This time, it was Kai’s turn to bow, sharing a small victorious smile with Sehun.

What’s up with them two?” thought Luhan, shrugging off the squeezing feeling in his chest.

“It will be interesting to see the couple at work,” joked another man, earning the laughter of the whole room. Sehun, Kai, Luhan and Xiumin, on the other hand, were the only ones with awkward expressions on their faces, Luhan’s especially dark compared to the others.

 

Soon after, the room was left empty as everyone filed out to continue the rest of their day. Only Kai and Sehun – along with their respective secretaries – were left, and their parents who wished to speak to the both of them.

“You two.” Sehun’s father’s deep voice resonated throughout the empty conference room. “Leave us. This is a private family matter.” His voice was cold and if glares could kill, the ones being sent to Luhan’s direction would have done the job. However, the two of them hesitated, looking at their bosses for further instruction. Both of them were frowning, clearly unhappy at the treatment towards the brothers but neither of them commented on it.

“You can have the rest of the day off…” Sehun whispered, looking apologetic. Xiumin and Luhan bow, maintaining their polite demeanour as they backed out of the office, closing the door behind them with a gentle click.

 

“Aren’t you behaving a little too nicely to your employees?” Sehun’s father sounded disapproving, his voice dripping with displeasure. The son could barely stop himself from rolling his eyes, a retort on the tip of his tongue.

“We have more important matters to discuss.” Kai’s father cut in, stopping any irrational comments from the two sons. “We heard rumours of a divorce?” The question didn’t even sound like one, it was more of a challenge to speak up against them.

“It’s true,” they replied in unison, not waiting a heartbeat before answering, unfazed by the idea of defying their parents.

“We’re both happier with other people,” continued Sehun, turning to his parents. But instead of being touched by such a romantic reason, the adults continued to stare at their sons with faces set in grim expressions.

“You’re willing to jeopardize the future of not only one, but two companies for your happiness?” snapped Kai’s father. His statement, however, did not have the desired effect.

“Just because we aren’t married, it doesn’t automatically mean the downfall of our companies. Sehun and I are perfectly capable of working together as partners, without actually being tied together matrimonially.”

“That’s not how our competitors think. The first sign of separation between the two families, and they’ll have the media flocking us like starving eagles, picking at it until there’s nothing left but bones.” This time it was Sehun’s father who spoke, huffing out in frustration as he gripped his greying – and balding – hair.

“Please, it’s not like you to be so dramatic, father,” countered Sehun.

 

Realizing that the men were going nowhere with their argument, the two ladies present decided to step in.

“Enough. No more divorce talks, and that’s final.”
“If you dare to endanger either of our statuses we will make sure to disown you, without mercy.”

Each having said their thoughts, the two mothers left the conference hall, not waiting for their spouses, who had to rush out of the room to follow them. Sehun and Kai were left alone, and their disposition had been greatly affected, their shoulders finally drooping with exhaustion.

“You know what. We’ll show them,” assured Kai, slinging his arm around the younger’s shoulder, leading them back to the office.

 

Author's Notes

   

~

 

Subscribe, comment and upvote if you want~ I'd love to hear from you guys as usual, and thank you for reading <3 Here's a thank you post to all my readers and subscribers ;D

THANK YOU <3

 

 

Layout credit: Growl