Presenting to You

Dealing with Reality - dropped -

 Dealing With Reality

Chapter NINE : Presenting to You

Sehun - Luhan

Reality is cruel and harsh...But that's what love is for...

As the two siblings made their way around the hall, they can’t help but admire their handiwork, the night going splendidly. The hall was dimmer than when the guests had first arrived, the atmosphere adapting to the more mellow mood of its guests as the night goes on. The decorations were just right, the simple gold streamers hanging accenting the white tablecloths by adding a festive mood, but not making the event too informal. It was just the right amount of classy, and Luhan felt his pride boost when the guests gushed about the event with sparkling eyes.

 

Luckily for him, Minseok had grabbed Luhan the minute he had arrived with their boss, ushering the redhead to the security booth to confirm the guest list with the bodyguards assigned for the event. It had saved him from having to interact even more with Sehun; the few hours prior already had his will crumbling faster than he could control, and he was relieved at the distraction that the event gave him. They were probably being a little over cautious about the whole thing, but with the planning of the event on their heads (and jobs), they decided to play safe, working everything out to the most intricate of details.

 

Speaking of details, their seating plan had worked wonderfully since none of the guests had found it necessary to purposely spill drinks down each other’s suits or gowns, remaining civil as the Ohs and Kims mingled amongst them. There were a few jabs here and there that could have escalated much too quickly if it weren’t for Sehun’s, and occasionally Kai’s, intervention but other than that, Luhan was satisfied with the overall result of his and Minseok’s work.

 

There had been a moment where he had made eye contact with Sehun, but he quickly looked away, grabbing a drink from the tray of a passing waiter and downing it in one shot. Unluckily for him, he spots Sehun now trying to make his way over, although a few businessmen block his path, trying to make conversation (or kiss up to more like) with the soon-to-be CEO.

“I never thought the day would come when I thank sleazy old businessmen.”

“Luhan, I thought you were over those days,” tsks Minseok disapprovingly, materializing out of nowhere.

“You know I’m not talking about that,” frowns Luhan. “At least they’re keeping him away from me,” he explains, gesturing to his boss, who looked like he wanted to be anywhere but in the tight grasp of a balding old man. Luhan let’s himself laugh at the sight, grabbing another drink.

 

“Hey. Those are for the guests,” chides the older, taking the glass out of Luhan’s hands before he can even take a sip.

“Don’t hey me. I’m bored and I think I deserve a reward for busting my off for this thing.” The redhead reaches for his drink, but groans when Minseok chugs it down with a flourish, smirking at the frown on his younger brother’s face.

“Out of the two of us, I think I deserve it more considering our boss already bought you an expensive suit, and a couple one at that!, and I got nothing.” He took Luhan’s spluttering as a win, sticking out his tongue.

“And I’m the younger one?” Luhan huffs, crossing his arms in irritation. “But seriously, it wasn’t like I had a choice! He just threw those clothes at me,” he continues to grumble.

“Whatever you say, little bro,” says Minseok with amusement in his voice. Luhan is about to retort, but the dull thudding of a microphone being tapped interrupts his train of thought.

 

Everyone turns to the stage at the front, a single spotlight in the dark hall shining on the podium. Mr Oh (not Sehun, but his father, the current CEO) coughs lightly before speaking with a plastic smile on his face.

“Welcome, ladies and gentleman. I would like to welcome you all to this event today, in celebration of my son’s and fiance’s,” he motions to the pair standing to the side of the stage, waiting for their turn, “first ever solo, or you might call it a duo, project.” Everyone claps, albeit composed and Luhan scoffs at their attempt to remain aloof at all times. Minseok hushes him just in time, before everything falls into silence once more. “I will now invite the lovely couple to make a speech,” he finishes with a sickeningly sweet smile that makes the secretary want to puke up everything in his stomach.

 

Sehun and Kai take confident steps onto the podium, bowing slightly as Mr Oh passes them; but there were identical smirks on their faces, something that everyone seemed to miss except for Luhan.

 

“These past few months have been hectic,” begins Sehun.
“But we are glad to be presenting all of our shareholders, who trusted us,” continues Jongin.

“Who had faith in the youngest members of the company,”

“With the finished project.” They smile identical smiles, something more genuine than the one before them, but Luhan detected a sparkle of mischievousness in their eyes. Everyone claps, another round of applause sounding for the couple. Luhan reluctantly joins this time, but only after Minseok jabs him (hard) in the ribs when Sehun looks over at them. The redhead resists the urge to scowl, because he still can’t get the thoughts of Sehun looking absolutely stunning out of of his head., especially when said man was smiling at him from the podium, the spotlight still shining on his face.

 

Suddenly, Kai speaks up once more, holding up a hand to gather the guests’ attention once more.

"And we also have another special announcement," he says clearly, waiting until all eyes were on him and Sehun. The parents of both sides had looks of pure panic on their faces, hurriedly whispering amongst themselves. Luhan quirked an eyebrow at the strange behaviour of the previously composed parents, but the sons themselves just smirked wider, raising champagne glasses that had appeared out of nowhere.

"We have decided to file for divorce," explains Sehun, looking through the crowd to make eye contact with a stunned Luhan, his smug expression softening once they locked gazes. There was a pregnant pause, nothing but silence over the whole hall. The guests looked at each other in confusion, hushed whispers picking up as the stole glances at the strangely happy duo on the stage.

 

"We aren't doing this out of hate for each other. We are doing this because we care about each other, as brothers," clarifies Kai, looping his arm around Sehun’s shoulder in a friendly hug just to prove his point.

"This company should not worry about our ability to cooperate with each other," reassures the younger. They seemed to be doing the whole ‘finishing each other’s sentences’ thing very seriously, notes Luhan (although he will forever deny being jealous, despite Minseok’s constant snickers that show that he’s pretty much being seen through anyway).

"We have proven our worth through this project and we hope that everyone in this room can see that." Kai pouts, immediately melting away the tension from the sudden news of divorce. The guests slowly returned to being comfortable, the two sons’ easy-going nature clearly rubbing off on them.

 

"Anyways, enjoy the night, for it is still young." Sehun and Kai both sent a rebellious glance at their parents, who were trying (but failing) to hide the scowls that were pulling at their faces, the wrinkles of stress clearly showing.

"To the company!" They raise their glasses once more for a toast, joined by the cheers of the guests and employees. Well, everyone except for Luhan, who was still dumbstruck by the news. His mind couldn’t seem to process the words that had left Sehun’s lips, and the look that held a thousand words that Sehun had sent his way.

 

He was so absorbed in his thoughts, he hadn’t realized that Sehun and Kai had stepped down, immediately going their separate ways after an encouraging thumbs-up to each other. Kai had disappeared after grabbing his keys from the valet boy, driving off at just under the speed limit to find a certain doe-eyed boy who deserved an apology. Sehun, on the other hand, had a much shorter distance to travel, just the distance of the hall, but he too had to apologize to his own deer-like crush.

“Luhan?” he calls out, but the music drowns out his voice, the DJ putting on more lively music to get the atmosphere back up. “Luhan?” Sehun moves closer, but Luhan is still frozen in his corner. It is only when Sehun reaches out to touch the older’s shoulder that he gets a response.

 

“Boss?” says Luhan, flinching slightly. He pulls back, assessing Sehun up and down.

“Not boss,” growls Sehun. “Call me Sehun.”

“No--” But before Luhan can protest, he gets dragged by his wrist, out of the hall, out into the cold night air, into a waiting car.

 

“Sehun!” Luhan shouts at the younger, who slides into the driver’s seat, and after buckling himself in, driving away to leave the venue without a word. “Sehun, listen to me!”

“You’re not listening to me,” retorts Sehun childishly, keeping his eyes on the road. Luhan scoffs, turning to face out of the passenger window, his fists clenched on his lap.

“But there’s nothing-”

“I still love you!” Sehun exclaims in frustration, taking one hand off of the wheel to pull at his hair. Luhan is flabbergasted at the sudden confession, it somehow not clicking in his mind even though Sehun had basically been giving him all the signs for so long.

“But-”

“There’s no buts. I know what I feel for you is real.” The conviction in his voice is unmistakable and Luhan finds his resolve crumbling. But the part of him that cried that night, that part resurfaces, the hurt stabbing him in the chest once more.

“You betrayed me.” The silence was deafening, Sehun at a loss for words, His hands grasped at the wheel harder, until his knuckles were white.

“I didn’t mean to. Although I really am sorry for hurting you the way I did.” The apology seemed sincere enough, but did Luhan really want to find out the truth?

 

After a few more minutes of awkward silence, they arrive at the office.

“Why are we here?” Luhan ask, his eyebrows scrunching at the centre of his forehead in confusion.

“Just come with me,” orders Sehun, although the way his fingers lace themselves in Luhan’s feel so gentle, so comforting. Luhan follows, a little reluctantly, but he seems to have let down all of his defences. Again.

 

It was only when the door of Sehun’s office locked behind him did he start having second thoughts. But before he could voice them, Sehun had pinned him to the top of the desk, lips crashing down to meet Luhan’s.

“Let me confess to you properly this time.”

 

Author's Notes

 Next chapter will be office haha :3 Hopefully you enjoyed this chapter~ Thank you for reading as always <3

Layout credit: Growl