Chapter 1 "In My Days"

I Can't Wait Forever

Chapter 1 "In My Days"
 

 

December 26, 2006 7:30 A.M.
Christmas had gone and past, Nicole awoken to the sound of her old pink alarm clock ticking and ticking. She hit the clock, with one loud thud, and the ticking stop. Nicole rolled on the bed until her belly was laying flat against the mattress underneath her; she yawned and rubbed her tried eyes.

“Ay, it’s a cold morning today.”

Nicole grabbed her phone that was lying next to her pillow, and dial the phone number on her right hand. She waited as the phone ranged three times. Nicole hung up the phone, and threw her phone at her desk that was beside her bed.

“I’ll just meet up with him at school.” Nicole sighs.

“Nicole, are you awake yet!?” called Mrs. Jung from downstairs.

Nicole quickly stood up, and looked at her clock.

“Oh my gosh, I forgot to set my alarm on for school last night” she shriek “Umma, I’m coming”

Nicole hurried, and put on her school uniform while trying to brush her teeth, and fixing her bed. She hurried down the stairs, just when her mother grabbed her by the collar.

“Why are you waking up late again?”

“I…I forgot to set my alarm on” Nicole chuckle “I won’t wake up late next time Umma, promise”

And with that Nicole grabbed her lunch and headed out the doors.

“Oh, I got lucky there” Nicole fixed her hair and headed off to school.

I have always wonder why Umma, never re-married after Appa’s death. I was the only child, with only an Umma and no Appa. I’ve learned that you have to work for what you want, and live with what you can’t have. Life is too short to waste it on meaningless things. I’ve never really got Umma’s point but maybe someday I will. I’m a senior now, almost turning eight-teen in the next year to come. I’m the captain of our dance crew, best friend with captain of the cheer-leading team, also including captain of the baseball team. What more can I ask for, I’m just another average girl. This school year something different ought to happen.

As I enter the gates to school, my friend Han SeungYeon was already waiting for me at her usual spot, I give her a slight smile, and made my way towards her. As I walk by, I heard the other cheerleaders talking their usual non-sense.

“Oh look at her, that wannabe, always hanging out with SeungYeon thinking she’s so cool”, one of them whisper. This wouldn’t really be considered whispering, since I could hear her. I give them a slight glance and kept heading towards SeungYeon.

“Just ignore them” SeungYeon slightly nudge me.

“It’s okay, it really doesn’t bother me” I gave a small smile.

****
SeungYeon has always been my best friend ever since childhood. We both agreed on what we should share and what we shouldn’t. I remember the day when Appa died, and the Han’s were at the hospital with Umma. I and SeungYeon were to stay at my house and be good. I was holding onto Appa’s photo of him holding me when I was about 2 months old. I had cried that whole night, SeungYeon comfort me the best she could. We both were only eight at that time; she hugged me and wiped away my tears. She sang me school songs that our teacher taught us. Until I finally stop crying.

“Nicole-Ah, don’t cry it makes me sad when I see you cry” SeungYeon whispering in my ears. “I know it’s hard, but you still have me as your best friend and I promise to always be.”

"SeungYeon" I mumbled "Do you think, my Appa is going to wake up tomorrow morning" tears roar down my chubby cheeks once again "he told me if I be a good girl, and listen to Umma then he'll be home in the morning" with that I started to tear up again.

"Nicole" SeungYeon hugging me tighter "Everything's going to be okay, I promise that I'll be here tomorrow" SeungYeon started to tear up "I'm sorry"

I remember that night clearly in my head. That was the night we both promised on what we could share and what we shouldn’t in the future. The one thing most important to the both of us; was to never fall for the same guy.


****

We both head to first period; before entering class, SeungYeon nudge me tightly.

"Nicole, I have something to tell you"

"What is it?" I question

"Teacyeon Ok is a friend of yours right?"

"Yeah" I started walking towards our classroom "Let me guess you like him?" I laugh fooling around with SeungYeon.

I knew SeungYeon for a long time, growing up she never had a boyfriend before, well I guess me too; but I knew her type of guy, so Teacyeon was out of the picture.

"Well..." She hesitated "Maybe...I don't know"

I stop walking, and turn to face her, from the distance that I was at, I could see that she wasn't lying, she had on her nervous face, clinching onto her hands as she looked down to her feet. Everyone was walking pass us, we both stood about 2 feet away from each other. I...I didn't know what to do? Was I suppose to say, "Yeah he likes you go for it?" So I stood there shock...because I've come to realize we both HAVE fallen for the same guy.

"Yeah...yeah..." I tried to spit the words out "He's a friend of mines, did you wanted to get to know him?"

SeungYeon smile "I was going to ask you that"

She walked pass me, and I followed behind with my head down now. I didn't know how to tell her, how could I when we both made a promise to not fall for the same guy? I've always like Taecyeon from Junior High, he was my only guy friend, the only one; that I trust and told almost everything too. Now my best friend has fallen for him. Was I too let the guy of my life go like that? I enter class and there he was laying his head on his desk elbow dropping next to his desk. SeungYeon took her seat next to him, and mines at the window side. The bell rung for class to begin.

"Good morning class, as you guys all know we have a test today, if the class average hit's 85% or higher you guys won't have to stay after school for study hall" Mr.Kim spoke with boring expression as usual "I want everyone to take this test seriously since you guys are all graduating this year. Good luck and try your best"

After the test was passed out, I sat staring at my answer sheet and pencil. I stare and stare; I couldn't focus, I know it was only one small guy problem, but how would you feel if the guy that you have liked for so long, is now liked by your best friend? Feeling are never going to be the same. I stare outside, where the football players where training. I spotted Park Jaebeom, the Captain of the football team, everyone think that he's the coolest guy. It's really just because he's the Captain of all his JOCK Friends. I stare back into my paper. Everything was quiet as I close my eyes for a moment then that's when it HIT ME! With one LOUD THUD, right on my head!

"WHO THE!" I stood up slamming my desk

Everyone stared at me, as I looked down, to my feet to see what?! A football?! IT WAS A FOOTBALL! I leaned out the window to see all the football players trying to run away, making it so obvious it was one of them who had hit me, and since I had the football which was an evidence that it had to be one of them. They all walked away leaving one guy behind.

"Hey you, you better go get that football that you threw up there now!" Yelled their Coach

"Yes sir"

I saw the guy entering the school door from outside, since we were on the third floor, it probably took him about 3 min. to come up.

"Okay Nicole, sit back down, everyone it was just a small mistake, get back to your test" Mr.Kim hush the students.

"What if Jaebeom comes up here" I heard the girl next to me whispering to her friend.

"Oh, I'll be the happiest girl," the other started to act as if she was in love.

I could really careless if it was that Jaebeom kid, he better apologize to me. As the guy knocked on our door, Mr.Kim pointed at me to go open it for him. As I made my way towards the door, one of the cheerleader in my class stood up right in front of me and yelled

"It's Park Jaebeom, it's Park Jaebeom" she shriek with excitement.

I back away, with confusion and annoyance in my face. So what if it's him, he hit me and he better apologize, so you can guess what happen, of course I got shoved out of the way from all the girls in my class expect SeungYeon who was just sitting down at her desk, not even paying attention. As Jaebeom made his way through the group of girls, he stared to give them winks and smiles, ughh, come on I said to myself.

"Oh, I came to get the football" He looked straight at me

"You came to get this?" I question holding the football in my left hand."Aren't you going to even ask me if I'm okay?" I question him with my patients running out.

"Ugh, I really need to go, can I just get the football back?" he now step forward towards me."I really need to go, I think I've already caused enough problems for you and your classmates."

In my head, I was just thinking, "Are You SERIOUS?!" you have the nerves to not even APOLOGIZE!? My patient was running out, my best friend likes the guy that I've liked for so long now, I'm stuck on my stupid test, and NOW this pretty boy who hit me with this stupid FOOTBALL won't even APOLOGIZE, my day is going crazy ! How crazier can it get?!

"Well guess what!" I yelled "Who do you think you are? Huhh? Just because you're "THE MOST POPULAR KID" doesn't mean you have to be such a JERK! You hit a girl with your bad throwing of a football and can't even Apologize? How rude! You shouldn't even be a CAPTAIN, CAPTAIN! You want it well go get it!"

And without thinking, I went towards the window and dropped the ball out the window onto the cement floor.

"Now you have a good run back down the stairs." I wiped my hands on my uniform"Good day"

I took my seat, and everyone got quiet.

"How hard was it to give me that ball?" He question me with a loud tone."How rude? wasn't that rude of you?"

All the girls started to whisper among each other, he walked out the door, I knew he was mad, and Mr.Kim finally told everyone, to sit back in there seats. Now, I've gotten myself into a deeper hole. I took one deep breathe and stare back down at my piece of blank paper. For a moment, I wish that I've been dreaming, but no. This wasn't a dream. No matter how much I wanted to take back what I did, I couldn't. Even though I had been a pain, he should had apologize. Now, class was silent, everyone's pencil scraped against their paper, except mines. Then with another loud thud, I felt my head swing the same direction, like when the football had first hit me. My reaction was like the first time, mad and shock.

"What THE!" I Yelled louder than before, I slam the desk with anger this time, and I was furious more than ever, everyone once again turn their heads to look at me. SeungYeon looked worry.

"Nicole...your...your nose" she came up towards me quickly with a napkin "Are you okay? Are you hurt?"

I stare down to see my school uniform, cover with blood, I was so angry that I didn't even notice, that my nose was gushing out blood, I held the napkin against my bloody nose, as I stare at my uniform, I saw the same football that had hit me the first time, just laying under my desk. I already knew who it was. This time I didn't bother too take a look outside, I already knew who it had to be. I remove the napkin, picked up the football, and smudge the bloody napkin onto it.

"Eww," one of the guy said.

"That's disgusting, I'm not touching that thing again" another responded

"YAH !" Mr.Kim yelled with anger "Nicole take the football outside now! You are causing too much problem in class today."

"But, it's not my fault that those FOOTBALL players don't know how to throw!" I argue back "How could you blame me?!"

"Fine, you're staying after school" he said slowly "And you'll be scrubbing every single desk for talking back to me"

and with that, I was sent outside. The bell rung, everyone got ready to leave. I was still standing outside the classroom. When the cheerleaders came out they giggle and smirk at me.

"How lame" one of them said and with that they went off to practice.

"Nicole" SeungYeon tap my left shoulder "I'll love to stay and help you, but since I'm captain I have to go to practice. But after I'm done, I'll come help you" and with that my best friend left.

I enter the classroom, not to my surprise, some of the guys and girls wrote on their desk with permanent markers on purpose. I took one deep breathe and started scrubbing every desk. It took maybe about a hour to get all the desk clean, but the ones with the permanent markers on it, still had black lines left behind. I sat down on my desk, I lay my tired self down. Tears came down my face, without even knowing. I've always been like this, that girl that everyone somehow hated for some reason. Was it because, everyone knew my mom was a single mother? That I didn't have a father to help support me for my future plans in life? I turn my head where I was now looking out the window, I saw that Park Jaebeom, my tears finally stop falling. I sniff twice and kept looking at him. For some reason, my anger towards him went away. I don't hold grudges against anyone.

"Hey" someone knocked at the door "Can I come in?"

I stood up, and turn to see Ok Taecyeon.

"...O..Oppa" I stutter "Yeah, come in..." I turned red and for some reason, weak.

"Nicole, are you okay?" he walked towards me "Have you been crying?"

"Oh no, I'm just tired" I lied scrubbing my eyes "So why aren't you at baseball practice?" I tried to change the subject.

"Well" he said, taking the seat next to where I was standing "I couldn't leave you all alone" he gave me a smile. "I just kept thinking of how lonely you must've been."

"Aren't you going to get in trouble for that?" I question taking a seat."You should go, I don't want you to get in trouble"

He grabbed my hands "What happen? Why are hands so cold?"

I stare at him, lost, I wish I could tell him, I so so wish I could've, but in the back of my mind, SeungYeon was holding me back.