Chapter 2

Letters to Juliet

What's the most exciting about a pre-honeymoon trip is of course, the flight there. The flight was pleasant. Yuri booked us business class seats since she loves to keep it classy. Airplane food was better than I thought it would be. I can still remember how pale was Yuri when the plane was landing - since it was quite a bumpy road.

After getting through with the havoc, we finally checked in a hotel and got ourselves a suite room. After placing our luggage and unpacking, we took a shower and took an hour rest. Yuri was busy on the phone - talking in French. Guess that French class she took came in handy. 

Of course she would be busy. She's opening a restaurant in a month. Yes, her dream came true. And of course, I'm happy for her.

I sat on the bed - my back leaning on the headboard. I stared at her intensely. She was so serious when it came to talking to her suppliers.

She was saying something in French that I obviously could not understand. After a few minutes, she hung up and looked at me with a huge smile on her face.

"What?" I asked her.

"I just got off the phone with the most amazing man in the whole universe! It's Linguini!" She said. I've never seen her so excited before.

"Linguini? His name sounds like a sauce." I said.

"No no no no, he is the best chef ever and he's giving me some of his stuff and maybe even teaching me!" She continued, "So right now, we're gonna go to Saville and meet him! It's about an hour drive, so we should go now!" She said - while grabbing the keys to our rented car and her leather jacket. 

I stared at her - expressionless.

"What?" She asked; so oblivious.

"We came here for a pre-honeymoon trip." I pouted.

"Saville is an amazing place! It's beautiful and fresh and hey - it's romantic, okay? We're gonna drink some wine there, get a little tipsy then when we get back we can...." She had a smirk glued to her face.

I chuckled, "Fine. But only cuz' I love you." I said.

She gave me a kiss, "I love you too."

We went to the car park and sat in the Mini Cooper S. She started the engine and then started driving to Saville.

"I talked to Yunho the other day." I broke the ice in the car.

"And?" She said - expecting more.

"He said I should talk more about facts instead of experience." I said.

"No no no, you should do what you want to do; and that is to write. It's your passion. Don't let some brother come and ruin things for you."

I chuckled cuz' of her sentence, but she was right.

Many conversations were brought up until I realized that we already reached the countryside. We got off the car and was greeted by a tall French man. I guess it was Linguini. 

"So you wanna come with us inside, darling? We're gonna see grapes and wine." She flashed her smile to me.

How could I say no.

"Sure." I smiled.

During the whole 'lecture' about grapes, I didn't understand a single word they were saying. Though, Yuri was there to translate things for me. I was barely interested.

Time flies. And it's been 4 miserable boring hours.

Finally, after so much nagging. Yuri and I left that place. I couldn't wait to just explore the streets instead of tasting everyday stuffs. But my wish was ruined.

"So just now Linguini said we should go visit this place called Lutetia, there's this guy that sells pure cheese and maybe we cou-" 

I cut her off by saying, "I'm not into this Seobang.. you know that.." 

She stared at me before saying, "You know what, you're right. We'll go home right now."

I smiled and kissed her cheeks despite the awkward position.

After an hour, we reached the hotel.

"If you really wanna go to Lututu or whatever, you can." I smiled lovingly.

"Really!? Yeah, it's a win win situation." She said.

I giggled. "Yeah, so I'm just gonna browse around here since it's still kinda early." 

"Alrighty then sweetie, take care and get back to the hotel before sunset okay!" She kissed me goodbye.

I waved at her before she left with her car.

I sighed and went to the hotel room; washed up and went sight-seeing.

I walked and walked until a lane attracted my attention. I read the sign. It said something in French and then, "Letters to Juliet" with an arrow pointing towards the lane.

I entered the lane - already holding my journal.
 

This might be the story.

 

***

 

Sitting down on a bench right opposite a wall filled with letters. I found out that those letters were collected after sunset and then sent to a person named "Juliet". I managed to pick up a few informations from the locals who were writing their letters to Juliet. Basically, lovers that need answers about their relationships come here and express their feelings. Juliet replies each and every letter. It's like a love therapist.

I began writing. Suddenly, a lady; sobbing uncontrollably walked past me. I guess she was having a rough time in her relationship. 

I looked around seeing so many emotions flash through my eyes. Some are writing happily; some are just crushed. I've never seen anything like this ever in my life.

I wrote and wrote that I didn't realize that it has been time for the 'letter sending' to stop for the day. I noticed a few tourists taking pictures of the area. Then, a lady - who looked amazingly neat came in the lane, holding a basket. I observed her quietly. She was picking up the letters and placing them into the basket. When she was done, she left without saying a word. I decided to follow her.
 

Following her led me to a small restaurant where I saw three other ladies - sitting down; waiting for her. They sat up and walked to a door that lead to a flight of steps. I followed them slowly. As I reached the top, there was a small room where all the ladies were seated and holding pens - already writing something.

*knock knock*

They all looked at me. "Um, I'm sorry to interrupt but, do you speak English?" I asked them.

"Ah finally!" The lady who was collecting the letters said. "We were waiting for you all day. Here, take this basket and pass it to the lady downstairs."

I looked at her - confused.

"You're not Gabrielle?" She asked.

"No.."

"I've been waiting for so long." She said.

"I'm sorry but my name is Jessica Jung. Um, I followed you. And I saw that you put the letters into the basket and I just.. wondered why." I came straight to the point. My speciality.

She noticed my journal and asked, "Oh.. you're a writer?" 

"Yeah... yeah. I'm a writer." I smiled.

"Alright, come. I show you." She lead me to the only chair that was available.

She explained to me everything in detail until I was in utter shock. After understanding everything, I said, "So you guys are Juliet?"

"No, we're her Secretaries. We write to them. Telling them what to do and what not to do. Basically we're like fairies. We have to make them understand the situation better and also to make them forever happy."

She introduced me to every one of the ladies and also herself, "My name is Tiffany. It's nice to meet you."

"Thank you Tiffany, for explaining everything" I shook her hand. "..Um I was wondering whether I could help?" I asked her nicely.

She thought for a second and looked at the other ladies - sending messages through her eyes. They were all smiles too. "Why not?" She flashed an eyesmile. And wow that eyesmile was pretty. I wonder if she could still see me if she kept smiling.. wait what.

"Thank you thank you!" I said and left the place with a smile on my face.

I got back to the hotel, took a shower and went straight to bed. 


***

I woke up at noon and didn't see Yuri. I saw a note on the pillow. 

'Went for a wine tasting. Sorry ): I'll make it up to you! Promise!'

I actually was not sad. It was actually exciting that I get to spend my day with the Secretaries of Juliet.

I got ready and walked to the lane again. I sat down and waited till sunset to collect the letters with Tiffany. Again, so many people writing their stories with tons of emotions. Some dripping tears. Some smiling away. I wondered what it's like.

After sunset, picking up the letters were hell since they were so many. When I picked up a blue letter, the brick wall from behind came out. I got a shock and took the brick and was about to place it back when I saw a crumpled looking letter.

I took it and saw the name, 'Jeanne Kim'. It looked like a it's been there for decades. I took it to the ladies and read them out loud. Even they were shocked that they didn't manage to reply that hidden letter.

"I have to reply this." I said to them.

Tiffany smiled and said, "Knock em' dead."

I grinned and began writing. I used all my efforts and wrote the letter. I didn't care if it has been more than 20 years, I had to reply this. I saw the moon when I was done. I took that long.

I sighed in relief and wrapped the envelope. I sent it to Tiffany and she sent all the letters to the postbox.


***

It's been almost a week. And still no response. I was about to give up when a small petite girl stood by the door. "I'm sorry to interrupt but are you the Secretaries of Juliet?" She asked.

We all nodded.

"I'm wondering which one of you guys sent a letter to my grandmother, Jeanne Kim." She asked. My eyes brighten up.

"That was me." I stood up from the chair. "And I can't believe it actually reached you." I said.

"Well yeah we did." She said.

"That's amazing. I thought I was gonna get no response, to be honest." I said, still smiling.

"It was a very thoughtful letter." She said, kindly. All of a sudden, "Now, what the hell were you thinking?" She said - angrily.

"I was thinking that she deserved an answer." I said - trying to calm down.

"Yeah but 20 years ago maybe, but not now." She said.

"Well, I'm sorry I didn't know true love had an expiration date." I said - calmly.

She scoffed. "Hmph, true love? Are you joking?" I kept quiet. "What are you doing here anyway? You're some lonely girl on vacation?" She asked.

"No, I'm not lonely. I'm engaged." I showed my ring.

"Hmph, my condolences to the groom then." She said.

I lost my cool. I didn't care if the rest of the ladies were to judge me. I wanted to give this poor soul a piece of my mind. "Excuse me you little brat, who do you think you are that you can suddenly just pop out here and insult me like I'm poor little girl?"

"I may be little but I'm definitely not called a "brat". I have a name and it's Kim Taeyeon."