Chapter 3

Letters to Juliet

A/N: I know some of you guys prefer Yulsic over Taengsic but we all have our own opinions. I'd prefer if you guys didn't comment negatively about me not writing about Yulsic :) Thank you and enjoy~ And Jeanne is not dead ;) just old haha.

-----

“Alright fine, Kim Taeyeon.” I emphasized. “My name is Jessica Jung.”

She continued walking away – not giving a damn. I could she had quite a temper by the way she walks. I needed to get her attention. Pronto.

 

“HELLO?! EARTH TO KIM DEAFYEON?!” She stopped. Hooray.

“Well hello there Jessica Jung. I don’t find it lovely to meet a woman who just mentally disturbed my grandmother’s perfectly healthy mind. So if you would excuse me, I have to go.” She said then putting on her sunglasses. Well, it was a hot day. And again, she started to walk away.

“So that’s it?! You’ve come all the way here just to give me a hard-on lecture?” I said, questioning her. I wonder what outrageous comeback she would have to that.

“No, I came here because I couldn’t let my grandmother come alone. You dumb girl.” She said – still walking as if it’s a speed walking  marathon.

 

That’s when I realized…

 

“Oh my god, you mean Jeanne is here?! Why?” I asked.

 

“I think you might be able to understand that since you ARE the main reason she forced me to get a plane ticket right after she read the letter. Oh look, you even wasted my money. How great.” She rolled her eyes in a rather mocking way.

 

I didn’t care about that. All I cared was how determined Jeanne was to find her one true love. “OH MY GOD! That’s awesome! She came.. to find him… her true love.” I said, feeling like a packet of candies just exploded in my stomach.

“Awesome?” She said then chuckled. I didn’t like that chuckle, though. “And if her one true love.. as you claim, doesn’t want to see her? Has forgotten her? Is gravely ill… or dead? Let’s say for fun.. then what? I can’t stand seeing my grandmother in that situation.” I kept quiet and just stared blankly at her.

“Thought so.” She said, approving her own statement.

 

“I wanna meet her. I wanna meet Jeanne.” I said – smiling.


“And I’d like to play for my favorite basketball team, but I obviously can’t, can I?” She said. Obviously stating her height. I tried my best to keep a straight face. Her stare was not helping either. But I had to avoid it.

"You don’t think she wants to meet me?” I said, after regaining my composure.

“I honestly… hmm, how do I say this.” She thought for a moment. “I honestly don’t think she would be delighted to meet a person that can jam ‘oh my god’ and ‘awesome’ in the same sentence.”

She smiled mockingly again. Argh, that smile. I just want to rip it off her face.

She walked away again. I had enough. I stared at her back until it was completely gone. Then, I did it. I followed her. I am not going to give up because of some arrogant rich girl. Not today.

 

I halted when I saw her stop next to an old woman. Old but very elegant. She was looking at the wall of letters as if it held so many memories. It sure did for her. I smiled unknowingly when I saw Taeyeon poking her grandmother’s sides.

It had to be done. I approached them.

“Hi.. Jeanne right?” I said – awkwardly. She nodded. “My name is Jessica Jung.. and.. I was the one that wrote you the letter.” I said.

“Oh! The letter? From Juliet?” I nodded, biting my lips as well.

I could see Taeyeon cursing mentally through the corner of my eye. I chose to ignore it since I was more focused on Jeanne.

 

“Goodness.. thank you.” Jeanne said sincerely. “But however did you find us?” She said – looking at Taeyeon then back to me.


“Well your granddaughter here found me actually.” I looked at Taeyeon.

“You did?” Jeanne immediately asked. Turning her whole body to her.

“Well, I-I did- ha-“ She stammered.

“No.. she’s very kind and sweet." I decided to save her life. "She also thought that you might want to meet me.” I said – lying. A small lie wouldn’t hurt.

“Uncharacteristically thoughtful of you, dear.” Jeanne said. Taeyeon laughed awkwardly.

“Well of course, shouldn’t you meet the woman who caused this whole massive havoc just from a stupid letter?” Taeyeon said – eyeing me.

Jeanne and I just chuckled. Although I really wanted to kill her.

“Taeyeon doesn’t approve which makes this all more fun.” Jeanne said – playfully punching her cheek. I giggled knowing that Taeyeon would definitely hate this and of course, hate me.

“Would you like to come with us for a glass of wine?” Jeanne invited. I nodded positively.

We then went to a simple place for some bread and wine.

 

***

The night flew by very fast. Jeanne was telling her story about her true love. Sueroz. A y name, I might say. All this while, I was listening to Jeanne. She looked so happy talking about him. Taeyeon, on the other hand, looked like she wanted a hot bath and a goodnight sleep. Her actions make me wonder if she even had a lover. I eyed her suspiciously but ignored that thought and continued talking to Jeanne.

“So you’ve come to find him.” I said as a conclusion.

“Yes and I know just where to find him.” She said – confidently. I raised my eyebrows high, as a signal for her to continue. “He has a farm just outside of town. Taeyeon is driving me there tomorrow.” I looked at her. She gave me a forced smile.

“We should go grandma.” Way to kill the mood, Kim Taeyeon.

She wished us all goodnight. I can’t help but wonder if I could follow them. I really want to but would I barge in? No? Yes?

 

‘Ah screw it’ I thought. I ran with heavy footsteps trying to catch up to them. I stopped running when Jeanne turned around - suspicious of the sound of my footsteps to see, trying to catch my breath.

“Can I come with you? Tomorrow, if you don’t mind..” I asked Jeanne after my breathing became stable again.

 

“Come with us?!” Of course, Taeyeon had to answer. “What about this fiancée of yours? You’re in the City of Love and you want to come with us?” She said.

“Yes.. well she’s busy and I’m free.” I said – like it didn’t matter. “I’d also love to write about it..”

“A JOURNALIST? Great grandma, now she’s trying to intrude into our private lives.” She exaggerated.

“Oh shut up Taeyeon.” Jeanne said. “Of course! I’d love to have you to join our journey.” She said with a motherly smile.

“Great….” Taeyeon muttered.

We then bid our goodbyes. Until tomorrow.

 

***

I woke up – the sun shining brightly, right on my face. I squinted as I was trying to get used to my surroundings. I reached out to grab my alarm clock from the night stand. 8AM. I heaved a huge sigh and cursed myself for not closing the curtains the night before I went to bed. Also the night where I met Jeanne and her devil granddaughter.

I decided to text Yuri to let her know about the little trip I’m going to with Jeanne and Taeyeon. I set my phone beside me after hitting the send button. I stretched – arching my back. I decided to take a shower and pack my stuff for the ‘Sueroz hunting’.

After I was done with showering and packing, I looked towards my pillow which held my phone. It was blinking – indicating that I had a message.

From: Yuri

 

To: Jessica

 

Well, have fun then. Text me when you arrive there. Don’t
call. An auction is going on. Love you :)

 

I sighed inwardly. A buzzing sound broke my thoughts. Ah, the doorbell. I looked through the peeping hole. Speak of the devil. Kim Taeyeon.
 

I opened the door with a blank face.

“Good morning.” She said with a smile that looked so fake.

 

“Are we ready to go?” I ignored her greeting.

“Yes, we are. Mind if I take that for you?” She asked, holding out her hand to take my sling bag.

 

“…”

 

“…” She awkwardly scratched her head.

“Who are you and what have you done to Kim Taeyeon?” I said.

“Look.. I know we got off on the wrong foot, so let’s start again shall we? My name is Kim Taeyeon” She said with a smile.

“Jessica. Nice to meet you. Now, here.” I dumped my sling bag on her. With her fast reflex, she managed to catch it. The sling bag was rather small and not really is a bother but who cares. I then walked towards the exit seeing Jeanne in the car. I stepped into the backseats, greeted her then took out my journal and started writing.

Taeyeon started the engine and drove off.

During the whole time, I could feel someone looking at me each time. Just a light feeling. I looked up to the rear-view mirror. Wrong idea. Taeyeon and I shared eye contact until she decided to look at the road again. Unless she wanted all of us to die.

‘What’s wrong with her..’ I thought. She kept glancing at me as if I needed her attention.

 

***

We stopped for a short break on top of a hill where there were a few couples and families around there. I sat on the bench next to Jeanne while Taeyeon sat on the edge of the hill – staring into the horizon. I could see her hands plucking the grass.

“Taeyeon is just like my husband.” Jeanne said – she probably said that since I was clearly looking at her.
 

“My husband always insisted that love was nothing but hormones. But you see underneath, he has such a warm, passionate heart. And Taeyeon is just the same.” I glanced at her for awhile – still in the same position.

She then talked about Yuri until she brought up a sensitive topic.

“Do your parents like Yuri?” She asked.

“Yeah.. my dad likes her a lot. Um, my mum left us when I was nine.” I said – starting to tear up.

“Oh dear.. I’m sorry.” Jeanne said sincerely. I shrugged. It was a long time ago and I didn’t want to bring it up nor will I ever.

 

***

We then continued our journey. We were really close to the farm Jeanne told us about. “Slow down, slow down.” I heard Jeanne say as we arrived at a small farmhouse.


We let Jeanne to the talking since she is the only one that can speak French. We could only see her talk to a rather fat man. He was furious. I could see Taeyeon looking at her with worried eyes. She turn around and nodded her head negatively. I looked at her apologetically.

“We’re so not gonna give up.” I said to her.

“Well, he’s definitely not the only Sueroz over here.” She said.

 

“WHAT?!” Taeyeon shouted – startling us both. “So grandma, you actually want to knock on every door in this area, looking for Sueroz?!”

She calmly turned to me before saying, “Why not.”

“How many can there be anyways.”

 

***

A lot.

 

“74?! 74 Sueroz Bartolleni’s and you want to see all of them?! This is enough grandma. We’re going back in the morning.” Taeyeon said with a bathrobe on. I searched my laptop for the possible Sueroz' here and there. The results were quite a shocker. Too much.

And yes, we stopped at a hotel for a night to continue our hunt tomorrow.

I sighed wondering how are we going to find only one out of all of these Sueroz. “Are you sure Sueroz only loved this area?” I asked.

“Yes, of course. He would never leave this land.” I had a plan.

I took out a map. I drew a circumference of a circle only around that area. Now, there’s only 12.

“This is madness. Pure madness.” Taeyeon said – circling around us.


“Taeyeon, come here.” Jeanne said. She then pulled Taeyeon’s ear and said, “You said you wanted to swim, so go and swim.” And let go of Taeyeon’s ear. She rubbed it with a painful expression and walked away. She then proceeded to take her bathrobe off of her.

Her body.

One word, y.

I couldn’t help but stare at her body before it disappeared into the water. Jeanne snapped her fingers and I looked at her with my mouth wide open.


“Quite the body right?” She asked – eyebrows high above her forehead. Clearly mocking me. She wiggled her eyebrows at me then winked at me.

I blushed and hid my face. She's one heck of a grandmother.

 

***

We went from this place to that place finding the man who we all have came here for. 3 out of 12. We were done with 3 Sueroz already. Jeanne still didn't look even a bit worried. She knew she would find him. Taeyeon, on the other hand was a nuisance to this whole matter. She would find every complain in everything. Even Jeanne realized how overboard Taeyeon was. 

 
We obviously couldn't find look for all 12 in a day so we stopped at another 3-star hotel. We were having dinner at the hotel's restaurant. Jeanne brought up a very interesting topic.
 
"Taeyeon, why don't you tell Jessica here about your proper and legal work?" 
 
"Well I don't think she'd be interested anyway." she said - adjusting her seat on the chair.
 
"Try me." I said. Does she think I'm dumb or something?
 
"This sorta thing. You know?" She said - doing somekind of gesture before continuing. "Defending the defenseless, preserving human rights, helping refug- you looked surprised." She said - eyeing my current expression.
 
"I'm so surprised. I just didn't have you pinned down as the safe humanity type at all." She looked at Jeanne. Jeanne was just drinking her wine - avoiding eye contact with Taeyeon.
 
"Oh really?" She seemed shocked and hurt at the same time. I didn't mean to. "And what type did you have to pinned down for, exactly?" She leaned towards me.
 
"Well, I was leaning towards an ungrateful bit- girl but now that you mentioned it, self satisfaction do go to works as well." That pissed her off but I could care less.
 
"I guess you're a poor judge of character then." Ouch. What happen to nice Taeyeon?
 
"But she does deal with facts, Taeyeon." Jeanne butted in. Thank God. "So um, I'm off to bed now." She stood up. Taeyeon stood up too.
 
"Can I walk you to your room?" Taeyeon said to her grandmother. Funny how small she becomes when she's talking with her grandmother.
 
Jeanne just patted her head and walked away - leaving a dumbfounded Taeyeon.
 
She sat back awkwardly. I sipped my wine.
 
"She's awesome." I said - referring to Jeanne.
 
"I respect your usage of this word for just this once." Was my 'awesome' really a crime to say?
 
"Oh thank you, I'm flattered." I rolled my eyes.
 
Awkward slience. I could hear crickets in my mind. 
 
"I would love to sit here and finish the whole bottle of this wine but.." She stopped.
 
"No it's okay. Go sleep. Goodnight." I flashed a smile. She looked at me.
 
"Goodnight." She said. Stood up and walked. I could hear her footsteps slowly fading away until there's was a sudden stop. I could even hear her sigh. As if she regretted something. I knew she was going to come back. I quickly swallowed my wine.
 
"Forgive me but where are my manners?" I heard her say from behind.
 
"You know I've been wondering that since I met you?" I said. Wow, I'm good.
 
"I don't know what it is but you seem to bring out the very worst in me." She looked so confusingly cute. I smiled at her.
 
"Somehow it's my fault." I said playfully.
 
"All of this is your fault. You wrote that blasted letter." She sighed. I could do nothing but stare. "But... nonetheless, can I walk you to your room?" She asked politely.
 
"Why not."
 
***
We left the restaurant and walked on the grass leading to the concierge and to our rooms. While we were walking side to side, she spoke up.
 
"You do know that I'm not really this annoying Taeyeon that you have been communicating right?"
 
"I honestly don't know." I said.
 
Another sigh escaped her lips. "I'm just worried for her.." Jeanne. "What if she doesn't find her Sueroz? I know she may seem carefree but.. her life hasn't been all that simple." She said - glancing towards me.
 
"I understand but I really have a good feeling about this. Just trust me." I said.
 
"Fine, I will." She smiled.
 
We arrived at my room and bid farewell.
 
***
The next morning, we left the hotel to find the fourth Sueroz. When we met him, he was talking to Jeanne in another direction. Not towards her face. Why was he wearing a black shaded glasses? A lightbulb shined in my mind. Curse my slow reaction. He was blind. Jeanne looked at us with a sorrow face and nodded negatively. I sighed in relief - somehow happy it was not him. 
 
We got back to the car and I could see Jeanne's face slowly turning into a sad one. I crossed out the fouth Sueroz as he was not the one. I consoled her by massaging her left shoulder and said, "We're not done yet." She gave me a sincere smile and kissed my hand in a motherly way.
 
It soon became sunset and we went back to the hotel. I ordered room service since I was busy writing and also felt lazy. There was a knock on my door - I hope its the room service.
 
I opened the door - ready to see my food. In return I saw a nervous looking Taeyeon outside the door. 
 
"Hello~!" She said cheerfully.
 
"Hi." I sat back on my chair and continued writing. I was sad. Not because of Taeyeon entering my room but because my food didn't arrive yet. My tummy needs some loving right now and Taeyeon's presence was clearly not helping.
 
"Umm.. I was gonna ask if you wanted dinner but you clearly already order something." She said - looking at my opened menu.
 
"Yeah.. cuz' I wanted to get started on my story so that's why I didn't want to go out anywhere." I said.
 
"How's it coming?" She asked - suddenly so interested in my writing.
 
"It's coming... good, I guess." I said - squinting my eyes.
 
"Am I in it?" She asked excitingly. I swear she was just like a teddy bear. I wanted to hug her so tight. I had to keep my cool, though.
 
"You MAY BE in it... why?" I asked.
 
"Can I read just a little bit?" Her face was literally just like this ---> :D
 
"No, are you kidding me? Stop it." She almost grabbed my journal. "Absolutely not."
 
"I just wanted to know if I'm being properly portrayed" She said - grinning.
 
"You are. Okay? Now run along." I said.
 
"What is that suppose to mean?" She said - furrowing her eyebrows.
 
"It means goodnight, Taeyeon." I said, rubbing my head. I started walking towards her. She started walking backwards. Luckily she did. If she didn't, we would clearly be in an awkward position. A close awkward position.
 
She nervously brought her lips together before saying, "Goodnight!" really quickly and leaving the room.
 
I looked at the spot where she just stood 5 seconds ago - very confused. I smiled knowing that I could easily control her. But why was she behaving like this.. I just shrugged the thought away and wrote a bit more. I went to bed after I was finished with everything.