Chapter 5

Letters to Juliet
What an awkward morning. I got out of the hotel to see Taeyeon and her grandma waiting for me in the rented car. Taeyeon helped me with my luggage and greeted me with an awkward tone. 
 
"How'd you sleep?" Taeyeon asked me - just to keep the conversation going.
 
"Fine. What about you?" 
 
"Ah fine.. I slept great. Thanks." She replied with a smile.
 
We both stood in front of each other, trying to avoid extreme eye contact. Taeyeon scratched the back of her head and moved to help Jeanne with her luggage as well. 
 
"Good morning." Jeanne greeted me with a kiss on the cheek. "It's a beautiful morning." She continued.
 
I smiled - in a way of agreeing to what she just said. I opened the door to the backseat, like I always do for every trip. Jeanne spoke up when I just placed my on the seat.
 
"Oh Jessica, do you mind sitting in front? I want to stretch my legs. It's been aching for quite a while." I sighed inwardly. Not only did I hate sitting in the passenger sit but I have to deal with awkward a Taeyeon too. 
 
Let's just hope the car ride will be better.
 
***
I was totally wrong. A really y and seductive Spanish song was playing on the radio. Taeyeon and I coughed awkwardly. Jeanne was not making things better as she decided to sing along, actually mumble along to the song. 
 
"It was such a beautiful night yesterday. I saw you guys lying down together too." Taeyeon and I froze. I turned around slightly to look at Jeanne, only to see her wearing a smug smile on her face. I turned red and so did Taeyeon.
 
I just shrugged it off while keeping my eyes on the road. I could see Taeyeon trying to calm herself too.
 
Jeanne then suggested we stop at a wine farm just for some sightseeing.
 
We turned into a lane named "CAPARZO". Taeyeon was driving calmly until Jeanne forced Taeyeon to suddenly stopped.
 
I looked at Jeanne - surprised at her sudden outburst. She was starting at a worker who was diligently doing his job. 
 
"Are you okay?" I asked Jeanne. She just looked at him with wide open. He looked like a boy in his early 20's. But her expression told me that she saw Sueroz.
 
"Granny, what is it?" Taeyeon decided to test her luck to get her grandmother to answer.
 
"T-That's Sueroz.." She said - softly.
 
"Who? That... boy?" Taeyeon asked. She nodded. "Alright grandma, let's get you under a shade, shall we?" Taeyeon said - clearly shocked that she thought a young boy was a long lost love.
 
I then approached the boy - cleary impatient that no one was initiating the move.
 
"Excuse me, are you Sueroz Bartolleni?" I asked him.
 
"Yes I am." What a think accent.
 
Taeyeon then came running next to me. 
 
"Sica, I think he's the grandson. As you know, Spanish people tend to name their kids after them." She said.
 
An older man then came to us and asked us if we wanted anything. That indeed was the grandson's father. We then asked the father if he knew another Sueroz.
 
"Yes I do, he's my father. He is riding right now. He'll be back after a while." The father said.
 
So, three generations of Sueroz's. The grandfather. The father. The son. We'll stick with the grandfather.
 
"Let's go home." Jeanne suddenly said, making Taeyeon and I look back with a confused expression. She clearly looked scared to meet the one the has been looking for. 
 
It was too late for her. We heard a horse galloping to our direction. And a man on it - clearly confused as why there was a group of people looking at him.
 
He got down from his horse and walked towards us. He looked at Jeanne and stopped. He held his breath. They walked to each other until they were inches apart.
 
Taeyeon and I stood there. I moved my hand to grab hers. She was shocked because of the gesture I did but she played along. We knew it was the Sueroz because, they hugged. A hug that was worth decades of waiting.
 
Taeyeon and I smiled at each other - glad that we finally found him.
 
***
We were asked to join for lunch with the whole family including Sueroz's in-laws as well. One side were the kids with bread in their hand and the other side were the adults, chit-chatting about the current events.
 
A clanking of glass silenced the noise as Sueroz stood up the make a toast.
 
"If you allow me, I really don't know how to express myself. Well, I went for a ride this morning as an old man. And I came back as a teenager again. I'm so very happy you all are here. Jeanne, Taeyeon and Jessica."
 
He then looked at Jeanne.
 
"My dear Jeanne, I know you lost your Jack. And I lost my Rosa. But destiny wanted us to meet again. Thank you destiny." He said while pointing up. 
 
"Cheers!"
 
We all clapped and cheered for his short yet heartwarming words.
 
"I'm sorry I was late." I heard Jeanne say to Sueroz. Taeyeon and I shared eye contact for just a second.
 
"My dear," he placed his palm on the back of her hand. "When it comes to love, it is never too late."
 
I melted.
 
***
Jeanne and Sueroz decided to talk a walk while catching up on their life. I sat on a bench - staring at the kids that were playing with a ball. The air was calm and the sun was just at the right position. I didn't realize I was daydreaming until Taeyeon stood in front of me with a nervous expression.
 
"What luck, don't you think? Our hopes and dreams almost came tumbling down but then he decides to appear on a white horse." I chuckled at her choice of words.
 
She then on a table that was next to me. I turned my body so that I was talking directly at her.
 
"Promise me.. just promise me, that you'll finish writing." She said - referring to my unfinished story about this 'journey'. She reminded me that my journey was over. And that I might not be able to see Jeanne or Taeyeon anymore.
 
I just smiled at her trying to suppress the tears that were acting up. I may look touch and cold on the outside but on the inside, I'm a er for goodbyes. Especially if it might be a permanent one.
 
"I guess this is it then. And I'm sorry it is." Taeyeon read my mind and put it into words.
 
"Me too." I looked away. I didn't dare look into that eyes of hers.
 
"Sica.. I, um.. shouldn't have kissed you. I was completely out of bounce." She was clearly a shy person underneath all that cocky attitude.
 
I stared at her for god knows how long before I said, "But I'm glad you did." It left her speechless.
 
I stood up as I decided that I should really get going back to Yuri. 
 
"Goodbye Taeyeon." I kissed her on the cheek as a 'thank you' for her to come into my life and creating a mess.
 
"I'll miss you." I whispered to the no one as I started to walk away - wiping my tears too.
 
I approached the lovebirds and told them about my leave. Jeanne offered Taeyeon to drive me back to Yuri but I kindly declined. I wouldn't want to tear again. Sueroz then asked him son to send me back. I accepted it - since it was the safest choice.
 
I got into the car and heaved a huge breath.
 
***
Taeyeon's POV
 
I stood there - looking at the car that was slowly getting smaller and smaller. Why is it only Jessica that has to have the effect on me. Why couldn't it be someone I see regularly or someone I knew for quite awhile. All these thoughts are killing me. Jessica Jung, you kill me. 
 
I heard footsteps approaching me. My grandmother. Funny how she has found her love while I might be losing my chance.
 
"Darling, forgive me for saying this but we are family so, I think you understand why I'm telling you that you're a total idiot." Ouch. But it was true.
 
"O-Okay grandma, don't sugar coat it." I said.
 
"I won't. Taeyeon.. don't wait 50 years like I did." I looked at her. "Why are you looking at me for? Go. Go. GO!" She pushed me away.
 
I ran towards the car. I figured if I were to try, it should be now. And if I were to be rejected, then I'll just take that as a no from destiny and that she was not the one for me.
 
I drove and drove and drove until I reached the hotel she was staying at.
 
I was too late.
 
I saw Jessica standing outside the balcony of her hotel room with another person. That was kissing and hugging her. I assumed it was Yuri. She was tall, dark-skinned, as fit as a fiddle and just, hot. I knew it was too good to be true. I was out of her league.
 
I backed away with light footsteps and a heavy heart. I stepped back into the car - feeling like a failure.
 
 
 
 
A/N: Short update before I start to go on studying mode. Yes, the next update will take a few days or a week but please bear with me :) and we're slowly reaching to the ending~ I know. Such a short story, well yes. Like I said, short and simple :) cookies for readers who comment and subsribe :P