Free

Out of Darkness
Please log in to read the full chapter

No one had an answer to Tao's question. No one even wanted to guess an answer until they were absolutely certain of the facts. There was no point in scaring Tao, or themselves, even more. 

Lay and Xiumin helped Tao get ready, making him wear a thick sweater and a beanie before they could leave the dorm. On other occasions, Tao would have whined and complained; the extra layers really weren't necessary. But he knew that the faster he gave in, the faster he would get his answers. 

The boys finally ran out of the dorm and piled into their vehicle.

The whole ride to the hospital consisted of everyone trying to console Tao. The closer they got to the hospital, the higher his panic got. No one could fault the maknae. In all honesty, the older ones had the same panic building up in them as well, they just refused to show it for Tao's sake.

As soon as they parked in front of the hospital, Tao jumped out, running straight towards the entrance.

"Tao, wait!" Chen yelled, he and the older members chasing after the maknae. They were surprised how fast Tao was running, seeing how sick he was earlier. 

Tao was working on adrenaline alone. His body had been shaking throughout the trip to the hospital, and as soon as he had the chance to get out of the car and get some answers, he took it right away.

Of course he knew that it didn't matter how long it took him to find Kris. Whatever happened to Kris wouldn't change if Tao had arrived at any given time frame. But he was really tired of how fast his head kept spinning, throwing questions at him nonstop.

What happened to their leader? Was he hurt? Did he get in trouble? What could have possibly happened? Why would the police demand that they met at the hospital?

There was a bored looking receptionist at the front desk. The five of them couldn't help but wonder how she could be so calm working at a place like this.

"Excuse me," Luhan said anxiously to the older woman. "Um...we're looking for Wu Yifan. We were told he was here."

The receptionist typed up something on the computer. "There's no one here by that name," she said after a while, causing the boys to look at each other in surprise.

"There must be a mistake," Lay finally spoke up. 

"Luhan," Xiumin said. "Are you sure we're at the right hospital?"

"Of course," Luhan answered with a sigh. He ran his fingers through his hair. "Who could have made that call?"

"I did," a male voice behind them said.

The boys turned around.

Tao gasped, recognizing the man to be the detective that had questioned him about the night of his . His eyes widened as the older man walked closer to them.

"Sir," Lay said to the man, noticing Tao freeze up. "Can we ask what this is about?"

Follow me," the man said.

The boys followed, not feeling the need to argue or ask anymore questions. They were led into the elevator. The ride up was silent and a bit awkward. Besides the occasional sniffles from Tao, there was no noise until they got to the fourth floor. Everyone was snapped back to their senses when the elevator made a loud ding, alerting them that they had reached their destination.

"This way," the detective commanded as he made his exit and entered the corridor.

Luhan sighed as he and the others followed. "Sir," he finally said as they all continued walking. "Can you please just tell us what's going on? We n-"

Luhan's words were cut off with a gasp upon looking straight ahead. Everyone froze, making sure that what they were seeing was real.

"Duizhang!" Tao yelled, running to the tall man who had just exited a room. Kris had a serious look on his face, but Tao didn't seem to notice. He pulled Kris into a tight hug, tears falling down his face again. "What happened?" Tao asked. "You never answered your phone. Someone called us and said we had to come here and no one told us why. We were so scared." Tao started sobbing. "I thought something happened to you." 

"It's okay now," Kris finally said, returning Tao's hug. "I'm sorry for scaring you like that. I won't do it again."

"Now that we know Yifan is okay," Chen began. "Can someone please tell us what's going on?" he asked in frustration. He was glad to know that Kris was okay, but he was becoming upset that they were still being kept in the dark about everything.

The detective sighed, looking straight at Tao, who still had a firm grip on Kris. "We found the man that you," he announced, keeping quiet to make sure no outsiders heard anything.

Everyone looked at Tao, anxious to see his reaction. 

"R-really?" Tao asked. He wasn't even sure he heard correctly.

"Then where is he?" Luhan asked. "Why are we here?"

"Uh...Lu," Xiumin said, pointing up at the sign above the room Kris had just come from.

Luhan paused and looked up. Tao, Lay, and Chen followed his action, their mouths hanging open as they saw the sign that hung above the door.

"The morgue?" Lay asked. He looked at the detective with wide eyes. "Are you saying-"

"Yu-ching is dead," the detective answered before Lay could finish.

"How?" Chen asked. He was a little shocked at the news, and he already knew that his band members were the same as well.

"His body was found last night...or...this morning," the detective began. "He was stabbed after attempting to someone else." He started shaking his head. "Guess he got what was coming to him." He looked to Tao. "His body is in there. Do you want to see him to confirm?"

Tao swallowed, looking to Kris. "Did you already see his body?" he asked.

Kris nodded. "Yeah," he said, shuddering a little. "I saw him."

"And you're sure it was him?" Tao asked, getting another nod from Kris. Tao looked to the detective. "Then I don't want to see him. I trust Yifan."

"We thought you would say that," the detective replied. 

"Thank you," Tao said.

"Let's get you home now," Xiumin said to the maknae. He looked to the detective. "You don't need him anymore, right?"

The older ma

Please log in to read the full chapter