~3~

Try to Fall in Love

“Did you go to Sam's yesterday?” Seoyeon's mother asked as soon as Seoyeon got home after school.

“No, Yun's,” Seoyeon told her before grabbing an apple and moving to take it upstairs. Mrs Park caught her arm.

“There's a lunch on Saturday,” she said. “You're coming, okay? I think Sam's going too.”

“Jeez, mum,” Seoyeon sighed. “You sound like you're in love with Sam or something. I'll find something to wear, I guess.”

Mrs Park nodded, smiling. “Something pretty, dear. No denim.”

 

Seoyeon brushed her hair out of her face as she tried on yet another outfit. This one was a short light pink dress. She shook her head. That was her last dress. Suddenly some clothes caught her eye- thrown into the corner of the room out of frustration was a cute ivory-coloured skort, paired with a scallop-hemmed light blue shirt with a white collar. She remembered receiving those from an aunt one Christmas, and hadn't had a chance to wear them. Seoyeon smiled as she pulled the outfit on- it was perfect. She was brushing out the creases in her shirt when her phone rang.

“Yeonnie?”

“Hi, Sam,” Seoyeon said brightly. “What's up?”

“Didn't Yun tell you I wanted to see you last night?” He sounded disappointed. Seoyeon smacked her forehead with her hand.

“He did, but we both forgot. I'm sorry!”

“Don't worry,” he almost laughed. “I was just wondering- ah, never mind. It can wait.”

“You sure?”

“Completely.”

“Okay, then,” Seoyeon said, still trying to get rid of a crease.

“I'll see you on Saturday, okay? I'm busy on Friday.”

“See you!”

Seoyeon ended the call and flopped onto her bed. Everyone seemed to know about something except her.

 

Wednesday and Thursday passed Seoyeon by without giving her a chance to speak to Teo. He didn't even look at her when they passed each other, and she was confused. Had she done something wrong? On Friday she marched right up to him as he took some books from his locker.

“Hi, Teo!” she said happily.

“Hi,” he replied awkwardly. “Um, excuse me.”

Teo tried to get past but Seoyeon stood her ground. He wouldn't even look her in the eye.

“Have I done something wrong?” Seoyeon demanded.

“N-no,” he said. Honestly, he felt slightly intimidated by girls in relationships.

“Why won't you look at me?”

“I don't want Seungyun to get jealous!”

Seoyeon looked dumbfounded. “What?!”

“I don't want him to think I'm... interested in you or anything,” Teo said quietly. “Seeing as you're dating, and everything.”

Everything clicked into place. “Oh. You think we're- no! We're just friends. Honestly,” Seoyeon laughed, “I'm not his type.”

“Oh, I'm... I'm sorry,” Teo muttered sheepishly. “It was dumb of me to assume that.”

“It's okay!” Seoyeon waved his apology away. “As long as you're not angry with me, or anything.”

 

“He still doesn't recognise me,” Seoyeon sighed as she and Yun walked home.

“He'll remember soon,” Yun assured her. “I'm surprised he hasn't yet, actually- you're pretty hard to forget.”

“Is that supposed to be a compliment?” Seoyeon grinned.

“Of course!” Yun said, laughing. They reached Seoyeon's house and Yun took her arm. “Hey, Yeon.”

“Hm?” Seoyeon turned to face him, biting her lip.
“If someone, maybe, asks you something this weekend, do me a favour,” he said. “Think of their feelings first. I know how you make decisions quickly. Just think, yeah?”

Seoyeon scrunched up her face. “Okay,” she agreed. “Do you want to tell me what's happening, then?”

“I can't,” Yun grinned, stepping away. “See you on Monday!”