7

How An Angel Hurt Me

 

The next couple of weeks went by in a flash. The hustle and bustle of classes, practices, work, and planning getting the better of Yurim who thought it a blessing when she managed to get more than four hours of sleep a night. Kai had agreed to take on more of the work for planning the winter showcase – by that, he told Yurim to shut up and focus on her schoolwork because her grades were already taking a nose dive and the semester just started – and with the general approval of how the “Someday” performance went, Kai was filled with renewed confidence.

Yurim’s aunt and uncle were back so she was also released from about half her hours at their shop so she could pay more attention to school. Sehun wasn’t as lucky, but he was also not taking as intensive classes so he could afford to work more hours than Yurim despite also being in school.

Luhan, Baekhyun, and Chanyeol also resumed their classes at their respective schools, and Kris was still working as an editor at a local radio station like always. Baekhyun took fewer hours at the comic shop, but still worked quite a bit for a student. He wanted to help pay for his own tuition, which meant he was lacking in the free-time department. Luhan was finishing up his music degree so his time was spent keeping his grades up (he really did not need to worry because he was constantly in the top 10 of his school, but he supposed it’d be better to stay on top than let himself drop) and secured the job he was offered as a “musical consultant” for TC Entertainment. Luhan was still a bit confused on what his job entailed, but it sounded like a good idea and sounded like he would love it. If not…well, there would be other opportunities.

Like Baekhyun, Joonmyun had picked up a part-time job over the break. He was interning at a large sports goods company. For the most part it was fine, when he was shadowing managers and execs, but being on the floor was a lot more demanding than one would think (No, sir, a 9-iron and a putter do not work the same way. Ma’am, I would not advise you to buy soccer cleats if your kids are thinking of- yes, I understand you are the mom, ma’am, just…). However the pay was good and, because of how he pick up extra hours, he managed to get a few extra days off, overtime pay, and a nice reference to put down on his resume. When school picked up, he put the he internship on hold in favor of studying and hanging out with his friends.

Speaking of friends, Chanyeol thought it a genius idea to start planning at the end of March for a birthday that would take place in the middle to May. Baekhyun’s birthday was coming up and there was no way Chanyeol was about to let it pass by like he accidentally did the year before (I’m seriously sorry! I agreed to go watch a movie with the guys and I guess I forgot that your birthday was the same day…I’ll pay for your lunch this weekend?).

Chanyeol had planned Xiumin’s party in March, which prompted him to not forget Baekhyun’s party. “Sehun! Where’s your cousin?”

Sehun looked up from the register when the door burst open and Chanyeol’s booming voice came at him. It was a dead hour so almost no one was in the store apart from Sehun and his parents, so he didn’t bother telling Chanyeol to be quiet. “She’s probably still on the bus. Why don’t you just call her?”

“She won’t pick up. Anywho, can I just chill out here until she gets back?”

Sehun nodded and pointed him to the back room. Technically Chanyeol wasn’t allowed there – staff only room – but Sehun’s parents overlooked these things and trusted Sehun’s judgment. Besides, Luhan was in the back studying since he had nothing else to do. “Hyung, how are you?”

“Good.” Luhan didn’t look up from his textbook. Chanyeol took the hint to not bother him, so he waited and busied himself with phone games and quizzing Luhan when asked.

After what felt like almost an hour, the front door opened and Chanyeol heard Yurim’s greeting towards Sehun. “Chanyeol’s looking for you. He’s in the back.” Sehun said from outside. Chanyeol heard Yurim’s footsteps approaching and greeted the short girl as she walked into the back room. “You busy the weekend of May 6th?” He asked before Yurim could properly settle down.

“I think my parents are coming into town that week so you likely won’t catch me at all until around the 17th. Why?”

“Baek’s birthday. I can’t exactly mess up after forgetting last year.”

“Well, you can do something without me and then I’ll catch up with you guys after my parents leave.”

“But you promised him you’d get some of the girls together and do something for his birthday.”

“Oh crap, you’re right.” Yurim took a seat and pulled out her planner. She looked at her schedule for May, and written on May 6th was ‘BAEK’S BIRTHDAY GET GIRLS TO DANCE’ in pretty handwriting that could only belong to Baekhyun. She could even picture Baekhyun’s face from when she made the promise – puppy eyes and all. “I totally forgot to even ask if anyone could help. Remind me to call some girls tonight?” Yurim wasn’t worried about putting a quick set together, but getting people to commit on a fairly short notice and organize practices would be a bit difficult. She slumped in her seat and groaned as she felt large hands pat her on the back.

“Will do. But that still doesn’t solve the when issue. Or the where issue, either. I know Baek doesn’t want anything too big, but if we’re going to need some sort of stage it we’ll probably need something bigger than a house.” Chanyeol started getting a headache. Who knew party planning could be so complicated?

“Well no duh, Sherlock. I don’t have any ideas either, though.”

That was when Luhan chimed in. “Suho’s celebrating his birthday a little early. On the 20th, actually. I’ve been arranging the details with his roommates so we could surprise him a bit. We’re still looking for entertainment, so maybe if you wouldn’t mind…”

“Luhan-hyung, I really don’t think Yurim is going to have the energy to plan and perform twice in a couple of weeks.” Chanyeol said. Yurim threw Chanyeol a quick glare before turning it on Luhan.

“We are not throwing Joonmyun and Baekhyun a simultaneous birthday party.” Yurim said adamantly. “They move in different circles, and other than Kris, they don’t have any mutual friends.”

“They have us.”

“No, not really, Luhan. Joonmyun barely knows Baekhyun or Chanyeol – and Chanyeol calls everyone Hyung,” Yurim added when she saw Luhan start to object, “and I only met Joonmyun’s roommates once or twice. The only reason you’re friends with this oaf over here,” Yurim pointed at Chanyeol, “is because he thought you were a cute girl when I introduced you and Chanyeol managed to ignore everyone referring to you as “he” for a week. Throwing a single birthday party for the two of them would be a disaster waiting to happen. Right, Chanyeol?”

“Well…” Chanyeol shrugged. Yurim could see he was actually considering Luhan’s proposition and thinking about actually accepting.

“No. No no no no no.” Yurim jumped from her seat to get all up in Chanyeol’s face, though her face really only came up to his chest. “I refuse to do their parties at the same time. Count me out. Goodbye, and good luck. I will not be wishing you success because I know my pleas will be for naught when everything goes to the pits. NO.”

Chanyeol and Yurim started to go at it. Quietly, because they did not want customers to hear them bickering while they shopped, but angrily. Yurim was not liking the idea for a multitude of reasons, but Chanyeol was all for it. After all, Luhan had a decent amount figured out from based on his random interjections and clarifications, which meant less work for Chanyeol.

Sehun walked in for the fourth time, ignoring every attempt Chanyeol and Yurim made to get his opinion, and told Luhan he needed some help out front and that Yurim’s shift was starting soon. Luhan nodded and put his schoolbooks away. “I’m not going to make you guys accept the offer, but it’s on the table if you want to talk about it more.” Luhan waved and ducked into the storefront leaving Chanyeol and Yurim to continue bickering about the party plans.

The second Luhan was gone, Yurim’s expression turned cross. “We are not doing this!”

“Give me one good reason.”

“I already told you. It’s awkward because they don’t have a lot of the same friends.”

“Luhan’s only planning his roommates and a couple other people. I was planning on us and a few other people, too. What’s a party without a few new faces?”

“A safe party?”

“Still not a good reason.”

“It’s still awkward.”

“Why?”

“Because…!”

“Uh-huh.” Chanyeol was far from convinced. He had an idea what really was going on in Yurim’s head, but he wanted to hear it from her. “I’m going to tell Luhan that we agree before he goes home."

“But I don’t want to throw my ex a birthday party!”

Bingo. “And you won’t be. Luhan and I will throw the party. You are the entertainment and a guest.” Chanyeol covered Yurim’s mouth with his hand the second her protests formed on her lips. “Just sit your pretty self down and let me take care of things. ‘Kay?”

Chanyeol pulled his hand back in disgust when something wet and pliant ran against his palm. “You are a disgusting creature. Ick…” He wiped his hands on Yurim’s sleeves before liberally applying hand sanitizer to his hands.

 “I thought I was pretty.” Yurim grabbed some water, swished it around , and spat it out in a nearby garbage can. “And you’re the disgusting one. When was the last time you washed your hands?”

“Last Thursday.” Chanyeol joked. Yurim was pretty sure he was joking, at least. “I won’t agree to this if you really don’t want to, but I don’t see any harm in it. Aren’t you and Hyung supposed to be on okay terms now?”

Yurim crossed her arms over he chest and puffed her cheeks defensively. “Yes, but that doesn’t mean I want to go out of my way to see him.”

“But he goes out of his way to see you.”

 “He does n-” The rest of Yurim’s objections were lost the second she caught Chanyeol’s gaze. Yurim knew Chanyeol was kind of right. Most of the time when Yurim saw Joonmyun, somehow Joonmyun was the one who initiated it. Going to Sehun’s family store during Yurim’s shifts, taking a bus on her route whenever she commutes to and from school, even working backstage at the KeyCap was in some way or another Joonmyun’s fault. Probably. Yurim definitely did not plan that.

Chanyeol kept looking at Yurim. She threw up her arms in defeat and caved. “Okay, fine, do it, I don’t care, whatever will make Baek happy.” Yurim threw on an apron and walked out to clock in for her shift after plugging her phone into the charger.

Chanyeol stayed in the back for a little while longer so he could talk with Luhan. The pretty boy stepped inside some minutes later, calling over his shoulder that he was getting a quick drink, to find Chanyeol playing on his phone. He nudged the sitting giant to get Chanyeol’s attention. “And??

There was a devious glint in Chanyeol’s eye. Luhan had learned to appreciate that look over the few months they knew each other. “Did you really doubt this adorable face?” Chanyeol playfully poked at his cheeks and tiled his head to the left to add to the effect. To put it over the top, he widened his eyes and pouted his lips to maximize his innocence. Luhan wanted to smack Chanyeol straight across the face because Chanyeol could probably get away with murder and theft and still be on the receiving end of the apology if he showed that face to anyone else. Luhan shuddered a bit at the thought.

“Paired with that crazy deep voice of yours, I’m surprised more people don’t doubt you.”

*~*~*~*~*

Joonmyun heated up the leftover dinner. It was pretty normal for him to walk in after Yixing and Kyungsoo ate because his school schedule ran until almost 6:30 PM, and the trip back to his apartment always took longer than he would like. But he was happy to have a home cooked meal instead of living off of the sad excuse dorm food was. That was an experience he would like to never repeat, and he thanks the gods every day that Kyungsoo and Yixing both cook like gods themselves.

His cellphone buzzes and vibrates across the table. The screen lights up and a picture of Joonmyun from Kyungsoo’s birthday party shows up. Joonmyun glances at the truncated alert message.

From: Luhan
Hey, are you busy? Need to talk to you ab...

Joonmyun ignores the message for now, and ignored it until he showered, brushed his teeth, changed, and made himself comfortable on his bed.

From: Luhan
Hey, are you busy? Need to talk to you about your party. I kind of accidentally agreed to help Chanyeol plan Baekhyun’s party and somehow it got scheduled the same day as yours >.< Would you be cool if we did them together?

To: Luhan
You are a turd. You’re lucky I like Baekhyun and Chanyeol or else I would say okay.

From: Luhan
So yes?

To: Luhan
Yes you idiot.

Joonmyun turned his phone off and put it on his bedside table. He reached for a book on top of a pile near the foot of his bed and settled back under his sheets.

 

-----

a/n: sorry this is so short x.x