3

How An Angel Hurt Me

Even though Yurim only planned on getting the iPod from Baekhyun, and had already spent a few hours at his house the night before, she ended up staying for a while talking with Baekhyun. They snacked on some crackers while waiting for Chanyeol to return with drinks from the corner store.

When he returned, Chanyeol threw a bottle of juice at Yurim. “Hey, I ran into Luhan and Sehun.”

“You run into everyone, Chanyeol. I swear, you stalk all of our friends and just conveniently tell us that you “ran into” them again.” Baekhyun said as he cracked open his bottle of soda, being careful to not let the contents fizz over and spill onto the floor. “Shouldn’t Sehun be at the store working?” He asked, turning to Yurim for an answer.

Yurim shook her head. “We’ve been closed on Saturdays since Sehun and I both need time off from the shop. Once Auntie and Uncle get back, we’ll be open 7 days a week. Luhan probably picked him up from our place for a date in the last couple minutes.”

Baekhyun nodded, and Chanyeol hummed his approval. “I saw Joonmyun yesterday, too.” Chanyeol added.

“That so?” Yurim noticed the hint of suspicion in Baekhyun’s eyes as he glanced towards Chanyeol, but decided to not think about it too much. “How was he?”

“Good. Things between the two of you are...?”

“Good.” Yurim answered almost a little too fast. “He stopped by the store and we talked for a bit.”

Chanyeol nodded, changing the subject to something totally different and random in a very Chanyeol-esqu manner.

*~*~*~*~*

Sehun and Luhan were waiting at their favorite cafe for a certain shortie to show up. Sehun looked a bit stressed out, which made Luhan worried. “Why do you have to make that face?”

“I’m not making a face. I just don’t like this.”

“But you always get bubble tea.”

“I mean I don’t like what we’re doing.”

“We’re just meeting up with Suho. What’s wrong with that?” Luhan innocently sipped the sweet drink from Sehun’s cup. Sehun pulled the drink away and made a face knowing that he has that much less of the drink for himself.

“It’s Joonmyun, though.”

Luhan just sighed. “Look, he’s one of my best friends. I know he and your cousin aren’t on the best terms, but I’m not letting that stop me from hanging out with him. And if you’re going to be my boyfriend, you’ll have to deal with him.”

“I dunno. I just don’t like that Yurim gets tense when he’s around.”

“Ugh. You and your sister-complex. She’s older than you. She can take care of herself and her drama. She has Kris, anyway, and Baekhyun and Chanyeol seem to take good care of her, too. Now can we please just enjoy our date time before Suho joins us?”

It was Sehun’s turn to sigh. But he smiled as he saw Luhan’s pleading eyes. “I guess I can live with that.”

“Yay! Thank you, Sehun!” Luhan leaned over and affectionately nuzzled his forehead against Sehun’s. He laughed as Sehun blushed embarrassingly at the sudden show and the attention they had gathered from the other cafe customers. “Well speak of the devil, Suho’s here!” 

*~*~*~*~*

“Did you guys really have to get a TV this big?” Kris inched his way backwards with the large box pressed against his face. “How in the world did you guys plan on getting this inside without me?!”

“Well Joonmyun was going to help, but he said he made plans with Luhan before I told him we were getting it delivered today.” Yixing answered. Kyungsoo helped direct Joonmyun, but his confused words just made the process worse.

Kris wanted to slap Joonmyun for dipping out on them, and then slap Luhan for taking Joonmyun away for the afternoon. The TV finally found itself in an awkward corner in the living room. For some reason, no one thought of clearing out the space the TV was supposed to go into, so they had to put the TV down, haul off the mess that was piled up next to the wall, then move the TV over more into the proper spot. 

After the stressful TV move, Yixing and Kyungsoo dragged Kris out to help bring up a printer, a few storage bins, and a box of books. “What’s all this for?”

“Joonmyun and I are storing some things at his parent’s house.” Yixing opened a storage bin and started to load the pilled mess into it. “We’ve been meaning to clean up and reorganize the apartment, but we needed to make room and his parents offered to let us use his old room. Joonmyun decided to bring some books from his house for himself.”

Kris nodded in understanding. “Still don’t get why your TV had to be that big if Joonmyun is going to be reading his stuff.”

Kyungsoo just let his huge eyes roll around before tidying the room up more. “Got any plans for the rest of the day, Kris?”

“If you’re going to ask me to help you move more stuff, then the answer is yes, I am busy the rest of the day.”

“No, just wanted to know if you wanted to hang out here with us. I was going to make spaghetti for an after-move meal but if you-”

“Where did you say you kept the plates?” Kris was already walking to the kitchen with a laughing Yixing and Kyungsoo at his tail.

*~*~*~*~*

Joonmyun insisted that Sehun and Luhan let him drive them around town. Since they planned on going into the shopping districts Joonmyun wanted to make sure they could properly enjoy their time without having to carry around too many bags or walk for a mile and a half with everything in hand.

“So how has school been for you? You’re going to graduate in a year, right?” Joonmyun asked of Luhan as they got out of his car.

Luhan nodded. “Major in classical music and a potential job at a record company once I graduate.”

“Already got the job lined up? Impressive.”

“Got some connections from the guys who we used to perform for.”

Joonmyun hummed as he smiled. “Gah, I miss those days. You, me, and Yixing. We actually made quite a bit of money performing at those clubs and cafes, didn’t we?”

“Perform?” Sehun interjected before Luhan and Joonmyun got too absorbed in their reminiscing. “What do you mean? Like Yurim?”

“Ah, I guess I never told you, did I?” Luhan swung an arm around Joonmyun’s shoulders. We used to be a bit of a singing group - us two and Yixing. “Suho was our leader and took care of us really well, so...well...that’s where “Suho” came from.”

“We group up around high school, but after Luhan’s first year of college we realized he was too busy to do everything.” Joonmyun added, “So we sort of disbanded. We still get together for the occasional noraebang night, but a certain doe-eyed boy hogs the mic all the time.”

“I’m just trying to practice...” Luhan admitted with a scoff. “You don’t ever complain whenever I’m singing, anyway.”

“Wait...so...you actually knew Yurim a lot longer than you knew me?” Sehun interjected. “She said she met Joonmyun after he did a singing thing.”

“Ah, that was probably from a performance after I had left. Yixing and Suho tried to do a duo, but it didn’t work out as well because the dynamic was so different.” Luhan tried to think of the order of events in his head. “I probably met her in passing or something, but I doubt she saw me on stage with them.

“We did rope Kyungsoo in, but he was too stage frightened to keep going with it.” Joonmyun said in conclusion.

Sehun was very surprised. He knew that Luhan and Joonmyun were good friends and that they both liked singing - it’s the one thing the really attracted Sehun to Luhan, and what got Yurim interested in Joonmyun - but to think that their passion ran that deeping was something Sehun couldn’t grasp. He did suddenly find Luhan a lot more attractive, though.

“Ohmygosh, Sehun, look!” Luhan dragged Sehun into a shop, while Joonmyun laughed as his best friend’s childish side started to peek thru.

*~*~*~*~*

“Aigoo...Baekhyun, how do you always win these games? I thought you at these things...” Yurim sighed in defeat. For that 4th time. Of the hour. “I swear, you’re cheating and hiding cards in your sleeves, aren’t you!”

“Yurim, you do realize I’m wearing a sleeveless shirt, right?” 

Chanyeol just laughed at Baekhyun’s snark comment. “He’s gotten better since we play a lot with some of the guys from our school every now and then.”

Yurim gave up and threw the cards aside. “I’m going to call Kris and see when he can pick me up.” She excused herself to a corner so she could talk to Kris in peace. He answered quickly and Yurim felt a smile creep onto her face as she imagined that smirk cross his face. “What time do you think you can pick me up?”

“I’m actually watching a movie with Yixing and Kyungsoo right now. It should be done soon, so I can be there within the next hour?”

“Okay then. Have fun with your movie, then. Love you!”

“Love you, too, Yurim.” Kris hung up and returned to his movie, while Yurim walked back to the cards sprawled on the floor. “Can we play something else? If Baekhyun wins one more game of 13, I swear I’m going to rip the cards into shreds.” Yurim was pretty sure she heard Beakhyun whisper under his breath, but she let it go when she felt her phone vibrate in her pocket.

“Hey, it’s Kai.” Yurim heard as she held the phone to her ear. “You free?”

“Oh, what’s up? We don’t have practice today or anything...”

Kai laughed. “No, just wanted to know if you wanted to hang out and try brainstorming more for the showcase.”

“Uhh...” Yurim was hesitant to say yes, but she wasn’t exactly enjoying having her handed to her on a silver plate every time Baekhyun won another round of cards. “Where did you want to meet?”

“I’ll be at the Star Jar in 10. Call me when you’re close.” Kai hung up before Yurim could agree.

Yurim gathered her things - double checking that she had her iPod in her pocket - before saying goodbye to Baekhyun and Chanyeol. She called up Kris as she went out to inform him of her new plans, but she was already out the door and down the street, and not about to let Kris convince her to let him drive her around.

Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol as they cleaned up his livingroom. “You think it’s okay to let Yurim hang out with Kai alone?”

“Baek, come on now.” Chanyeol started, “Even I know that they don’t have anything going on between them.”

“They used to.”

“But they don’t any more. They’re just friends, okay?”

Baekhyun continued to argue his point with Chanyeol. “Can you really call what they are now “friends”? We both know how awkward they can get when they’re alone.”

“Being awkward doesn’t mean you have something between two people. If that were the case, I’d be in a relationship with myself.” Chanyeol put his hands on Baekhyun’s shoulders and leaned down so they were face to face. “Repeat after me. They. Are. Just. Friends.”

“Okay, now you have to be the one joking.” Baekhyun backed away and swatted Chanyeol’s hands off of himself. “Look, people who date don’t just...they don’t just go back to being friends.”

Chanyeol sighed. “So what does that make us?”

“...shut up.”