Fourth Beat: A meeting at a mountain peak at sunrise

KyuMin: Heartbeat

 

“Hyukkie, wake up,” Sungmin called out softly but there was no response from Eunhyuk who was soundly asleep and snoring away.

 

“Hyukkie,” Sungmin nudged Eunhyuk. “Don’t you want to see the sunrise?”

 

But Eunhyuk was too deep in his slumber to hear Sungmin or to react to his jabs. Sungmin thought of waking Eunhyuk up with the alarm clock, but seeing the bliss on his friend’s face, he sighed and decided not to be so cruel as to disturb his rest. Sungmin knew how much Eunhyuk had been worried about him for the last few months – this might have taken a toll on Eunhyuk. Seeing his peaceful friend, Sungmin rose from the mattress spread out on the ondol floor, and went to wash up.

 

He just threw on a long-sleeve t-shirt, a windbreaker and a pair of track pants. He swiftly packed his camera equipment into a bag pack, slipped onto a pair of track shoes and then headed out for Seongsan Ilchubong.

 

The mountain was just a short stroll from the guest house. After walking through the deserted streets, Sungmin arrived at the entrance, paid the fee, and slowly made the trek up the mountain. There were other visitors who had arrived before Sungmin.

 

The ascent was fairly easy due to the paved stairs. It took Sungmin about forty minutes to reach to the summit under the cover of darkness with just the lamps illuminating the way. He had paused to catch his breath a few times along the way. He hadn’t been outdoors to exercise for quite some time and his stamina wasn’t quite what it had used to be. Nevertheless, he reached the peak, found a good spot to station himself in anticipation of photographing the sunrise.

 

As he stood there, Sungmin remembered a promise he once made with Siwon – to return to Seongsan Ilchubong to view the sunrise together. They had come to Jeju once many years ago and had watched the sunrise once together. That time, Sungmin was fixated in photographing the sunrise that he was not paying attention to the sunrise. Siwon, however, was captivated by the “beauty of God’s creation” as he put it. The look of awe and joy on his face was mesmerising that Sungmin could not help but capture a few shots of Siwon then.

 

“You and your obsession with photography,” Siwon gently chided Sungmin as they descended the tuff cone. “You missed such a great sight. It was such a perfect time to do nothing but just to empty oneself of one’s thoughts and perhaps reflect a little.”

 

“I didn’t miss anything,” Sungmin protested. “I did see the sunrise.”

 

Pointing to his camera, he continued, “Besides I have it recorded in here permanently. I could always relive that moment.”

 

“Well, but one should always seize and make full use of that moment there and then,” Siwon countered with a smile. “So how would you describe the sunrise?”

 

Sungmin thought for a short while before he uttered, “Glorious…magnificent…”

 

Siwon tapped Sungmin’s nose playfully and rebuked Sungmin, “See, you weren’t paying attention. You were more interested in your photography. You can’t even describe the sunrise.”

 

“It’s not that...” Sungmin defended himself with a pout. “It’s just that I’m a bit lacking in my vocabulary. You know that.” 

 

“I’ll let you off this time,” Siwon chuckled. “But we’ll come back here the next time. And you better not take any photographs.”

 

Sungmin gripped the camera that was in his hands and sighed. His heart skipped a beat. And then it skipped again. His heart started beating faster. He took deep breaths in an attempt to calm his racing heart.

 

Sungmin did not think much about the sudden and erratic heartbeats – except to attribute the reason to Siwon – whom he still misses very much.

 

As darkness gave way to the first light of dawn, a resplendent orange hue crept its way onto the horizon to the gasps and chatter of the visitors at the peak. This triggered off a frenzied clicking of cameras.

 

Sungmin forgot about his promise to Siwon, and like any avid photographer, was busy photographing the sunrise like the crowd who gathered in awe and amazement to witness the brief moment.

 

Satisfied with his shots, Sungmin strolled around the peak. His focus settled on a particular lanky male who was leaning on a railing at one end. The wind was ruffling his already tousled bangs. He was in a cardigan and jeans and was completely engrossed.

 

He exuded a sense of charm, maturity and stability about him. It reminded him of Siwon.

 

However, this man carried an air of sadness and solitude that contrasted to the beautiful moment of the sunrise.

 

He must be feeling troubled, Sungmin thought.

 

Sungmin could not fight the urge to capture such a contrasting moment. He took a few steps forward, but maintained a respectful distance from the man. Sungmin adjusted his lens to zoom into the man and snapped some full body shots of the man gazing at the sunrise.

 

Sungmin then zoomed into the expression of the said man. He could only get a side profile of the man but he could feel the soulfulness of the man’s orbs. The man wasn’t smiling. His lips were pursed and his eyes brows were knitted.

 

Sungmin pressed the button of his camera again.

 

And as Sungmin began clicking away, Sungmin could feel his heartbeat race faster; his heart started to thump at his chest.

 

This feeling, why is it returning again?

 

Sungmin halted his activity as he closed his eyes and tried to calm himself down.

 

Maybe I should go for a check up when I get back to Seoul.

 

Having calmed himself down, he decided to continue photographing the man. He noticed the man clutching at his chest. He was about to rush over to the man when the man turned to his side and caught a glimpse of Sungmin.

 

Sungmin froze in his tracks as the guy sauntered towards him.

 

Does he know that I’ve been photographing him?

 

Sungmin decided to make his escape. Just as he was about to do so, he found his path blocked by the subject of his photos.

 

Sungmin gulped as the man glowered over him. The palpitation of his heart recurred as Sungmin tried to shift his glance away from the stranger.

 

That guy is good-looking, Sungmin thought. His eyes were soulful though they were at the same time rather piercing. It was as though he could bore through the inner depths of another’s person soul and heart. He had an air of smugness and confidence. His eyebrows were well-defined. The guy may not have a flawless complexion, but he was still nothing short of attractive and above average than most Korean males.

 

“Have you been photographing me?” he suddenly spoke.

 

Sungmin could detect a tinge of hostility in the stranger’s voice.

 

“I suppose that it is only good manners to inform the other person that you’re photographing him,” the male continued, his tone still dripping with displeasure.

 

“It’s…a…public…place,” Sungmin spluttered.

 

Sungmin struggled for a good reason, “Anyone can take photographs.” Sizing up his courage, he said confidently, “That’s right. Anyone can take photos here.”

 

The guy smirked. “That’s true. But why are you wasting your time taking photos? I know that the sunrise is beautiful, but shouldn’t you take the time off to relax and savour that special moment instead of busying yourself with trying to capture the moment? Isn’t it better to capture that moment in your mind?”

 

His words left Sungmin stunned and speechless as he recollected the words Siwon had once said to him, “Well, but one should always seize and make full use of that moment there and then.”

 

And Sungmin felt a pain gnawing at his heart.

 

“Siwon…” Sungmin muttered under his breath. His face started to pale.

 

“Hey, are you okay?” the same words echoed a few times before it finally broke Sungmin’s thoughts.

 

Sungmin lifted his head slightly and his gaze met with the stranger’s eyes in an instant.

 

“I’m fine,” Sungmin mouthed softly.

 

Just then, the stranger was hunching up and clutching his chest. Now it was Sungmin’s turn to be concerned and worried as he took out his handphone from his pants pocket. “Shall I call for medical assistance?”

 

“I’m…fine…it’s nothing…” the stranger replied in between gasps of breath. His expression was wan and ghastly. “Sorry to have alarmed you.”

 

Slowly, colour returned to his visage as both of them continued to stare at one another awkwardly.

 

“Thanks for offering to help,” the stranger spoke first. “I have to go.”

 

“Can you manage the walk downwards on your own? Do you need me to accompany you?” Sungmin offered.

 

The stranger politely declined Sungmin’s gesture.

 

“What if something happens to you on the way?” Sungmin asked worriedly.

 

“I’m fine.” The stranger reassured Sungmin confidently with a smile. “I’ve made it up here, haven’t I? Thanks for the concern.”

 

Pointing to his face, he continued. “Don’t worry. I’ll make sure you won’t see this handsome face in tomorrow’s news.”

 

Just as the stranger took a few steps away from Sungmin, he suddenly paused in his steps and turned around to glance at Sungmin. “I forgot to tell you something. If you ever get up here again, just enjoy the sunrise and scenery and don’t worry about the photos.”

 

The stranger’s words stunned Sungmin. He did not notice the stranger waving goodbye and started to walk off.

 

“Wonnie,” Sungmin was momentarily lost in his own thoughts. “Those words…those words…Wonnie had spoken similar words before.”

 

When Sungmin returned to his senses, he realised that he had forgotten to apologise to the stranger about the photos. He noticed that the stranger was about to commence his descent.

 

“Wait up!” Sungmin shouted at the direction of the steps.

 

The stranger turned around and looked surprised as Sungmin hurried over towards the stranger.

 

“What’s up?” the stranger asked.

 

“The…photos…I took of you…I’m really sorry…but…” Sungmin stammered.

 

“You can keep those,” the stranger shrugged.

 

“Gamsa-hamnida.”

 

The stranger smiled and began his descent.  

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And so they've met, though they don't know each other's names as yet. 

Anyway, I did climb Seongsan Ilchubong when I was in Jeju last October. Was quite an experience. 

Meanwhile, thanks for all the comments so far. Please continue to comment and subscribe to the story.

Thanks.

My other fan fics

Heaven's Boys

KyuMin: Almost a love story

KyuMin: 60 Days 

It's You (너라고) Neorago (a YeWook fan-fic)