Third Beat: Discomfort

KyuMin: Heartbeat

“Hyukkie, what’s the matter?” Sungmin asked. He had spotted Eunhyuk walking away from the check-in counter in a fluster dragging their luggage with him.

 

“Our flight has been overbooked,” Eunhyuk groaned. “We’ll have to take the next flight. I need to go over to the ticketing counter to settle the matter. Do you think you could just stay here?”

 

Sungmin merely nodded his head.

 

Eunhyuk waited in line for his turn at the ticketing counter. The agent was busy serving one customer who was waving some sort of card. He could tell it was a male judging from the dressing of a jacket and long pants. As Eunhyuk wasn’t standing too far away, he was able to overhear the conversation.

 

The customer was registering his displeasure over an involuntary downgrade from business class to economy class, and was haranguing and haggling with the customer service agent to be put on a flight which has business class.

 

“Sir, we’re very sorry for the downgrade. But we had a last minute aircraft substitution due to operational reasons and that aircraft doesn’t offer business class. We will refund you the fare difference and put you at the front of the plane. It’s a short flight but the seats are still comfortable. Our airline is sorry for the inconvenience,” the agent apologised sincerely and bowed.

 

 “It’s not about the money. We paid for business class and we want business class. We want the privacy. My group has very important people. You expect us to sit in economy?” the customer riled. “We’re all members of your frequent flyer programme. Doesn’t this count for something?”

 

“But sir, we can’t offer you business class due to operational reasons.”

 

“What about the other flights departing in the next hour or so?” he demanded.

 

The agent tapped on the computer and replied, “I’m sorry. The next flight that leaves an hour later doesn’t offer business class. The following flight which leaves in two hours has business class but it is fully booked. The only flights available in business will leave in the evening.”

 

“Unacceptable!” the man pounded his fist on the desk. “This is unacceptable!”

 

Waving what it seems to be the membership card, “I don’t care. You have to put us on business class on the following flight.”

 

“Sir, it is fully booked.”

 

“We’re all elite members. Bump the other non-elite passengers! We need to be in Jeju before evening!” he demanded.

 

Eunhyuk glanced at his watch. He was irritated by the exchange that was going on and the way the customer was flaunting his status.

 

“It’s such a short flight. Does it hurt to fly economy? Who does he think he is? The Joseon king?” Eunhyuk thought to himself.

 

“Ajusshi!” Eunhyuk called out. “Just fly in economy! It’s such a short flight. Don’t make things difficult for others. And you’re holding the line up!”

 

The man turned around and shot glares at Eunhyuk. Eunhyuk was quite surprised that the customer was rather young – he looked about Eunhyuk’s age. It was this boyish looking guy with puppy eyes and a rather rectangular face. There was some acne scars but he looked pleasant.

 

“Mind your own business,” the man said icily.

 

“Anyway who are you calling ajusshi? You look like the ajusshi around here,” the man insulted.

 

But Eunhyuk was far from the ajusshi look. He was wearing a long-sleeve t-shirt and jeans. His hair was neatly styled and he looked every like the early thirty-something he was. 

 

Eunhyuk rolled his eyes. “Whatever. Settle your matter quickly so that the queue can move. They agreed to refund you. Just fly or economy or take the later flight and get it done with. Don’t be inconsiderate to your fellow travellers.”

 

“What the…” the man replied.

 

Just then another staff, presumably a manager came forward and approached the difficult passenger and politely asked him to step aside.

 

……

 

Sungmin studied his surroundings. There were a lot of people just whizzing past him – some with their baggage; the grating of the baggage wheels against the ground annoyed him a little.

 

Suddenly and inexplicably, Sungmin felt his chest tightening. His felt his stomach lurch. His breathing hitched and his heart palpitated in an irregular rhythm. He never experienced this sort of sensation before.

 

Was this an anxiety attack? It could be, after all, he had not stepped out of his home for two months, and to top it off, he was going on a working holiday. Maybe he was just feeling a little nervous.

 

Sungmin took a deep breath and exhaled, repeating the process for a few times until he could feel his breathing regulated and the palpitations disappeared.

 

It wasn’t too long that Eunhyuk returned with the tickets and they were soon ready to get on their flight.

 

……

 

“So we’ll visit Manjanggul Caves first on the way to our accommodation at Seongsan Ilchubong. Then we’ll go to Seopjikoji to check out the shooting spot, and then we’ll return to the guest house for an early night. I’ve not been to Jeju for a while. Finally a nice break,” Eunhyuk chattered incessantly during the flight. Sungmin was withdrawn and feeling rather lifeless. As such, he did not reply much to Eunhyuk except to nod or shake his head, or litter the conversation with ‘uh-huhs’.

 

“Sungmin-ah, are you okay?” Eunhyuk asked.

 

Just then the crew announced that the plane was making its final approach into Jeju Airport and was about to descend.

 

“Hyukkie, I kind of regret this trip. I can’t help but feeling a little uneasy and weird about this entire thing. Maybe we should go back to Seoul,” he muttered.

 

“But we’re already here, and we have a job to do,” Eunhyuk said as he placed his hand on Sungmin’s hand and held it tightly. “Don’t worry. I’ll be with you. Everything will be fine. Trust me, okay?”

 

Sungmin managed a small smiled and nodded his head.

 

……

 

“Min, why don’t you take a seat here whilst I go rent a car?” Eunhyuk motioned Sungmin towards the benches.

 

A visibly listless Sungmin dragged himself over to the seats and sat down.

 

“I won’t be long,” Eunhyuk assured. “Watch over the things.”

 

Sungmin only nodded with his soulless eyes and blank face. 

 

Eunhyuk then scampered off muttering, “Aish, why do you have to make me worry about you?”

 

Sungmin sighed and glanced around. Just then he saw a tall lanky man in the distance strutting across the arrival. He was with a lady and an entourage of about 10 people behind him. His posse was trying to scuttle after him without much success due to their cumbersome luggage.

 

Just then the man paused. His tousled hair was chestnut; he was wearing sunglasses and decked out in a t-shirt with a cardigan over it. He was wearing cropped pants and a pair of boat shoes.

 

His female companion had long flowing hair which was tucked under her cap. She was wearing sunglasses, a jacket over a t-shirt, cutoff shorts and platform sandals.

 

The man suddenly turned to look his way. Sungmin started to feel an unexpected queasiness in him. His stomach started to knot up. His heart started to flutter and thump faster.

 

He turned to look away from the man just as the said man turned to look as his female companion at the same time. But the pulsation in Sungmin’s heart refused to calm down as he took deep breaths. This was the second time in the day that Sungmin was experiencing a similar sensation.

 

“What is happening to me?” Sungmin asked himself in alarm.

 

……

 

Eunhyuk held Sungmin’s hand as they descended the steep and uneven steps into the darkened but still lit cave.

 

Manjanggul Cave was located in the north-eastern area of the island. It is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

 

The cave is actually a lava tube. However one kilometre of the cave is opened to visitors. Some parts of the walk were pretty rocky and uneven. The grounds were damp and there were puddles on the ground. The interior was cool and a little chilly. Along the way Sungmin stopped now and then to shoot some photographs of the caves. Meanwhile, Eunhyuk dutifully followed Sungmin’s lead as they plodded along the way.

 

As they headed deeper into the tube, Sungmin brushed his arm against a stranger who was making his exist. The stranger didn’t apologise, but neither did Sungmin as they continued their own separate ways. Suddenly, Sungmin paused in his tracks as his heart started to thump faster as he gasped for breath. Even though the cave was illuminated, Sungmin did not catch a good glimpse of the stranger.

 

Noticing Sungmin’s discomfort, Eunhyuk asked worriedly, “Sungmin-ah, are you okay? You don’t look good. Do you want to turn back?”

 

Sungmin’s breathing returned to normal after a few more seconds and his frenetic heartbeat ceased.

 

“I’m fine,” Sungmin reassured Eunhyuk as he took a deep breath and exhaled. “Let’s just carry on.”

 

They continued on their journey as they marvelled at the natural wonders of nature – the lava pillars formed by stalactites and the stalagmites. Sungmin continued to take photographs of what he thought was interesting and beautiful.

 

Eunhyuk was secretly relieved that a sense of normalcy had returned to Sungmin’s life. At least he was showing some interest in his favourite activity – photography – again.

 

Along the way, they spotted some interesting rock formations such a wing-shaped wall, a “turtle” rock before they came to the end of the walk – and a main feature of the cave – a lave column which was about 7.6 metres in height and illuminated by colourful lights. It is a double pillar of lava which was formed when the lava flowed down a hole from the ceiling onto the ground.

 

……

 

Eunhyuk was behind the wheel as they headed for Seopjikoji. As they were nearing their destination, a car from the opposite of the road and heading in the opposite direction of them just whizzed past them.

 

It was at this moment that Sungmin experienced another bout of heart palpitation. He turned his head around to try and get a look at the vehicle, but without much avail as the car had long gone past them.

 

Eunhyuk, whose attention was on the roads, did not notice Sungmin’s momentary discomfort and uneasiness this time round.

 

……

 

As darkness succumbed to the light of the day, a brilliant golden orange hue rose and crept its way onto the horizon through the cumulus clouds to the gasps and chatter of the visitors who were gathered on the peak of Seongsan Ilchubong. The clicking of cameras could be heard going off.   

 

Sungmin was one of those who were busy photographing the phenomenon. He had found a good spot to view and capture the sunrise. He was alone that dawn as Eunhyuk was unable to wake up despite Sungmin’s attempts at rising him. Since their accommodation was a stone’s throw away from the mountain, Sungmin decided to head there alone. He had been busy taking shots with his camera, recording the changes of the horizon – from the pitch darkness of the night to the sapphire of the breaking dawn. He also took shots of the crowd gathered to witness the magnificent glory of sunrise.

 

Satisfied with his haul, Sungmin walked around the peak. And then his focus settled on a particular lanky male who was leaning on a pillar at one end of the peak. The wind was ruffling his already tousled bangs. He was in a cardigan and jeans and was completely engrossed and revelled at the sight in front of him. The man was a picture of concentration that exuded a sense of charm, maturity and stability about him. Although, the man was leaning forward, Sungmin could see that his posture was straightened and not hunched. It reminded him of Siwon who was a serious and pensive person like how Siwon would always be absorbed and wistful while reading, at work and even in prayer.

 

The only difference is that the figure of this man at the same time seemed to cut a rather forlorn and solitary presence that looked to be at odds with the glorious sunrise. It was such a contrasting sight.

 

He seemed sad and lonely, Sungmin thought to himself.

 

Sungmin took a few steps forward, but maintained a respectful distance from the man. He adjusted his lens to zoom into the man and snapped some full body shots of the man gazing at the sunrise.

 

Sungmin then zoomed into the expression of the said man. He could only get a side profile of the man but he could feel the soulfulness of the man’s orbs. The man wasn’t smiling. He was a picture of thoughtfulness though his brows did not furrow.

 

Sungmin pressed the button of his camera again.

 

And as Sungmin began clicking away, Sungmin could feel his heartbeat race faster; his heart started to thump at his chest. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So looks like Kyuhyun and Sungmin ran into each other a few times in a day. 

Anyway this author here did visit these spots mentioned in the story when this author was in Jeju. I did wake up around 5 or 6 to make the climb up the mountain. 

To be honest, Jeju is a pretty hard to navigate island if you're not travelling by car. It is a big island, and you can only rely on buses. There's no rail network and the sights are not easy to access. 

Anyway I hope I feel energised by last night's Super Show 5 in Singapore. 

Meanwhile thanks for the comments, subscriptions and votes. Keep them coming. Thank you. 

My other fan fics

Heaven's Boys

KyuMin: Almost a love story

KyuMin: 60 Days 

It's You (너라고) Neorago (a YeWook fan-fic)