Tenth Beat: The meeting at the restaurant

KyuMin: Heartbeat

It was only much later that Kyuhyun found out the stranger he had ran into earlier was Lee Sungmin, the magazine’s hired photographer for the day’s shoot.

 

But just as strutted into the location holding hands with Victoria, he could feel his heart pounding furiously and wildly.

 

“This isn’t my first time holding her hand. I don’t even remember having this sensation before. Why is it happening now?” Kyuhyun thought.

 

But his thoughts were interrupted when Heechul approached and was calling someone by the name of Sungmin over to where and Victoria were.

 

“This is Cho Kyuhyun, our editor in chief. And this is Victoria Song, the model for today’s shoot,” Heechul introduced. “And this is Lee Sungmin, the photographer.”

 

......

 

Kyuhyun was observing the shoot and he was really pleased with the creativity and visual flair that Sungmin was pouring into his work. The angles were well chosen and the shots were artistically taken and came out well. It met the requirements and demands of the theme. There was nothing he could pick a bone with, although there were some initial doubts about Sungmin’s ability as this is the first time he is working with Sungmin. 

 

Kyuhyun wanted to stay behind for a while to enjoy the scenery and so he asked Victoria to leave without him. She was a little reluctant and also apologetic as she had missed the morning’s appointment. However, she was feeling tired, so Kyuhyun asked her to head to the hotel first to rest and promised her a nice outing in the later part of the afternoon. They kissed goodbye and he waved her off.

 

“Aren’t you going to leave yet?” Kyuhyun heard a familiar voice as he spotted a familiar figure joining his side.

 

It was Sungmin. And that was how he ended up giving Sungmin a lift.

 

......

 

Kyuhyun spent the next few days with Victoria touring Jeju. While they enjoyed each other’s company as they laughed and took photos together, Kyuhyun could not feel the stirrings or passion he once had for her. This troubled him quite a bit.

 

His mind drifted occasionally to a certain photographer as he wondered if he would ever see the male again.    

 

Would Sungmin take the initiative and approach the magazine for work? Maybe he (Kyuhyun) should take the initiative instead and extend the offer to Sungmin. However, Kyuhyun realised that he did not have Sungmin’s number. He cursed himself inwardly for not asking Sungmin to exchange contacts. Looks like he would have to go through Donghae or Heechul. But wait, Sungmin would have to come to the office to collect his payment. Maybe they would be able to meet again then.

 

But little did he know they would actually meet again not long after.

 

……

 

On the last night of their vacation, Kyuhyun and Victoria decided to have a seafood dinner and so Kyuhyun picked out a place after pouring through various online reviews. The restaurant he picked seemed appealing; its name appeared to be familiar to Kyuhyun.

 

“Wow, this place is indeed good. The food is really fresh. You’ve made a very good choice,” Victoria complimented as she chomped down another piece of sashimi.

 

“Well, I’m always able to suss out the good stuff,” Kyuhyun boasted. “After all I’m the editor of a fashion and lifestyle magazine.”

 

Victoria chuckled as she took a piece of a sashimi and fed Kyuhyun. “You’re so full of yourself as always.”

 

“Don’t you like that about me?” Kyuhyun interjected.

 

“But I also like the awkward Kyuhyun,” she teased. “That side of Kyuhyun is really cute.”

 

“Kyuhyun and cute don’t really go well together,” he laughed.

 

“But what made you decide on this place? I mean there were other places with good reviews,” Victoria wondered aloud. 

 

“Familiarity?” Kyuhyun replied. Just then he felt a tightening sensation in his chest. His heart thumped vigorously. His head and face were tilted downwards. He was clutching at his chest. Victoria leaned forward anxiously to check on Kyuhyun.

 

And then Kyuhyun lifted his face, and his gaze locked onto Sungmin’s as they came face to face with one another.

 

“Sungmin-ssi,” Kyuhyun mumbled weakly.

 

“Kyuhyun, are you okay?” Victoria asked. “Sungmin-ssi?”

 

Just then Victoria spotted Sungmin and his companion – Eunhyuk – who approached them.

 

“Kyuhyun-ssi, Victoria-ssi,” Sungmin greeted. Sungmin noticed Kyuhyun looking uncomfortable and seemingly in pain.

 

“Kyuhyun-ssi, are you okay? Victoria-ssi, what happened?” Sungmin asked.

 

“We were having our dinner when he just felt some discomfort in his chest area,” she said worriedly.

 

“Is he ill or something? He seemed to experience discomfort in his chest when he was on Seongsan Ilchubong the other morning?” Sungmin enquired with concern.

 

“Kyuhyun?” Is this true?” Victoria turned to him with a distraught look.

 

“I’m fine. Don’t worry,” Kyuhyun reassured in between gasps.

 

“How can I not worry about you?” Victoria exclaimed. “Didn’t the doctor say you would be fine after the transplant?”

 

“Heart transplant?” Sungmin asked but neither Victoria nor Kyuhyun responded.

 

Taking Kyuhyun by his arm, she said, “Let’s get you to the hospital now. I don’t feel at peace like this.”

 

“Don’t overreact,” Kyuhyun chided. “I’m fine. I’m better already. We’re returning to Seoul tomorrow morning. I’ll be heading to my doctor in the afternoon.”

 

“What’s going on?” Sungmin broached. He was feeling confused. “Who had a heart transplant? Was it you Kyuhyun-ssi?”

 

“Yes, I had a heart transplant about a year ago. But I’m fine. It’s nothing, Sungmin-ssi,” Kyuhyun assured.

 

“Kyuhyun had suffered from a heart disease since young…He nearly died almost a year ago, but luckily he had a …” Victoria chimed in.

 

“Victoria, that’s enough!” Kyuhyun interrupted.

 

“Oh!” Sungmin and Eunhyuk exclaimed in unison. They kept quiet unsure of what to say next. The mood became awkward and serious as the four pairs of eyes just stared at one another.

 

“Sungmin-ssi,” Kyuhyun spoke up. “I guess this must be your friend and business partner Eunhyuk-ssi, right?”

 

What followed was a brief round of introductions.

 

“Sungmin-ssi, Eunhyuk-ssi, care to join us for dinner?” Kyuhyun invited.

 

Sungmin seemed a little uncomfortable with the idea. But Eunhyuk just thanked Kyuhyun for his offer, grabbed Sungmin by his arm and sat them down.

 

“It’s such a coincidence, Sungmin-ssi,” Victoria remarked. “We actually meet again at this restaurant of all places.”

 

“How did you two know about this place? Have you been here before? This is one of the best places for seafood in Jeju. Sungmin always comes here when he is in Jeju,” Eunhyuk piped.

 

“Actually this is our first time here. Kyuhyun read the online reviews and thought this place was worth a try,” Victoria replied. 

 

“And you definitely made a good choice. You would like this place,” Eunhyuk chimed enthusiastically.

 

“I think I like this place already,” Victoria laughed.

 

The evening’s conversation over dinner was mainly between Eunhyuk and Victoria. Sungmin and Kyuhyun merely ate their food in silence, throwing in a comment or two the conversation while stealing quick glances at one another while their hearts continued to pound furiously without both of them understanding what was going on.

 

Thus, the dinner ended on with both groups exchanging their goodbyes as they prepared to head back to Seoul the next morning with the possibility that they might cross each other’s paths in the future.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the patience. I've been a bit busy with work recently so my writing is suffering. Please continue to support this story nonet. heless. Thank you

My other fan fics

Heaven's Boys 

KyuMin: Almost a love story

KyuMin: 60 Days 

It's You (너라고) Neorago (a YeWook fan-fic)