Nineteenth Beat: Hokkaido Part IV: A champagne date

KyuMin: Heartbeat

Kris walked Sungmin back to the room. “Hyung, it’s still early. Do you want to have a drink? I could get some wine and bring it to your room.”

 

But Sungmin remembered his appointment with Kyuhyun. So he tried to find an excuse to turn Kris down.

 

“I’m actually feeling quite tired,” Sungmin said as he faked a yawn. He felt bad lying to Kris, but he knew that this was the only way to get Kris off his back. It’s not that he disliked Kris’ company, but Sungmin was not stupid to guess that Kris seemed interested in him to be more than just friends. “I want to rest.”

 

There was a tinge of disappointment in Kris’ gaze even though he forced a smile.

 

They paused in front of Sungmin’s room. “Okay then. Good night hyung.”

 

After Sungmin entered the room, he sent a text message to Kyuhyun. “Let me take a shower first. I can come over to your room in about half an hour’s time.”

 

Kyuhyun replied almost quite immediately saying that he is on the way back to the hotel from the staff dinner. He would drop Sungmin a text message when he is back and ready. He also said that he has the wine ready.

 

Sungmin hummed a tune as he showered. He did not know why he felt cheery and light.

 

As the approached time to his meeting with Kyuhyun neared, Sungmin kept glancing at his mobile phone hoping that the message tone would sound as soon as possible.

 

Well, after pacing up and down the room for a few minutes which seemed to be almost like eternity, the phone sounded. It was Kyuhyun saying that he was back. Sungmin quickly slipped into pair of shoes and scrambled over to Kyuhyun’s room.

 

“I hope you like champagne,” Kyuhyun grinned when he opened the door.  

 

“I do. I could get myself drunk...” Sungmin replied as he stepped into Kyuhyun’s room. He halted when realised he had made a stupid comment which might be reflect badly on himself.

 

“Don’t misunderstand. I’m not an alcoholic or heavy drinker who tends to end up getting himself drunk,” Sungmin quickly explained.

 

Kyuhyun just chuckled and just beckoned Sungmin towards to the coffee table. A bottle of champagne was resting in a bucket of ice while two flutes were on the table.

 

Kyuhyun popped the cork out of the bottle and poured the champagne before offering a glass to Sungmin which he accepted.

 

“Some champagne after a hard day’s work is great for relaxation,” Sungmin remarked as he took a sip of the liquid.

 

“I couldn’t agree more with you,” Kyuhyun said. “But in retrospect, maybe we should have had sake instead.”

 

“Well, we could finish this and then go out and get sake,” Sungmin proposed.

 

“So you truly are an alcoholic,” Kyuhyun teased, as he leaned back to relax in the chair.

 

“I’m not,” Sungmin protested.

 

“Didn’t you get to drink during your dinner date with Kris earlier?”

 

“Well, we did have a few drinks,” Sungmin replied sheepishly. “Don’t worry. I’m not drunk. I have quite a high tolerance for alcohol.”

 

“That’s a relief to know that won’t end up passing out drunk here,” Kyuhyun sniggered.

 

“Hey!” Sungmin protested in jest. “Don’t worry. I’ll crawl my way back to my own room. I don’t think I want to spend overnight here or let you help me back to my room.”

 

“Prideful,” Kyuhyun remarked.

 

“I just don’t like to impose on people,” Sungmin replied with an of seriousness written on his face.

 

“Okay. I’m done teasing you,” Kyuhyun shrugged.

 

“That’s a relief,” Sungmin replied sarcastically as he sipped his drink.

 

Kyuhyun also took a sip of his champagne and he asked, “So how was the dinner date with Kris?”

 

Sungmin was a little surprised and nervous at the question as he fumbled for a right response. “It was...was...normal...I mean...it was mostly...fine....ok...it was just a dinner...the seafood...was really fresh and sweet. It was a good dinner.”

 

“Did you enjoy yourself? Did you enjoy his company?”

 

Sungmin raised his eyebrows at the unexpected. He hesitated a bit before responding, “I did. Kris is a wonderful person and gentleman.”

 

“So would you be interested in him?” Kyuhyun asked.

 

“What?” Sungmin exclaimed.

 

“I’m sure you can tell that Kris is interested in you, or to put it more directly, he seems enamoured by you. And I don’t think he seems inclined to stop at just being friends...”

 

“Kyuhyun-ssi, what rubbish are you talking about? This doesn’t even make sense.”

 

“Don’t you know Kris is gay?”

 

“Kyuhyun-ssi!”

 

“It’s well known in the industry that he likes guys. It’s an open secret but no one ever talks about it,” Kyuhyun said casually.

 

“It’s not really nice to say things like that. It could be just gossip or rumours,” Sungmin said.

 

“Unfortunately, these aren’t rumours. You could ask Heechul or anyone else in the magazine. We’re in the industry. We do know about him.”

 

“So what happened at hotel lobby earlier...you guys could tell that he was hitting on me,” Sungmin asked with an incredulous expression.

 

“Pretty much,” Kyuhyun nodded.

 

“Oh my God,” Sungmin gasped. “Don’t tell me I’m the only one who remained kind of oblivious and to think that he just wanted to go out for dinner without any ulterior motives.”

 

Sungmin really wished he could turn back the clock all the way to the time he accepted Kris’ invitation. He felt rather embarrassed not so much about his own uality, but for being so dense and not realising that a guy was trying to hit on him.

 

“And it seems your friend Eunhyuk likes you too,” Kyuhyun pointed out. “It seems like you’re popular with guys.”

 

“Hyukkie?” Sungmin raised his tone a little.

 

Kyuhyun nodded.

 

“Well, we went to the same middle school and high school together and we were classmates. So we have been good friends and buddies. So he likes me as a friend,” Sungmin explained.

 

“But would an ordinary friend travel all the way from Seoul to Hokkaido, Japan?” Kyuhyun questioned.

 

Sungmin bit his lip. “Well, he’s worried about me. That’s what he said.”

 

“It’s his excuse.”

 

“He’s really just a good friend...”

 

“If you have to pick between Kris and Eunhyuk as a boyfriend and partner, who would you choose? Or is there some other person in your life?” Kyuhyun probed. There was a tinge of bitterness in his tone. He felt a little sour within himself when he posed the question.

 

“I...I...” Sungmin could feel his heartbeat accelerating.

 

“You’re not gay?” Kyuhyun decided to just be straightforward and get to the point.

 

“There’s another person...” Sungmin replied feebly. Truthfully, Sungmin did not know how to answer that question. He believes that Eunhyuk sees him as a friend, and he himself sees Eunhyuk as a friend. Besides, Eunhyuk isn’t gay, right? He is popular with girls and has had girlfriends and all that. As for Kris, he hardly knew Kris to be able to say he would choose to be with Kris. As to having another person in his life, Sungmin wasn’t really sure. Siwon is no longer around, but a part of him feels as though Siwon has not really left or perhaps it’s just Sungmin himself that is clutching on the memories of Siwon.

 

But why is his heart pounding so hard now?

 

“Oh,” Kyuhyun responded. Kyuhyun opened his mouth to add something, but he could not find any words. He could feel his heart drop a little when he heard Sungmin’s response.

 

Did he just feel disappointed or dejected?

 

Kyuhyun wasn’t too sure.

 

Meanwhile he continued to pour champagne for both Sungmin and himself. They sipped their champagne in silence as they were both lost in contemplation.

 

Sungmin was still thinking about Kyuhyun’s words. Was Kris interested in him? Does Eunhyuk treat him more than a friend?

 

Sungmin tried to brush those thoughts away. Kyuhyun is over exaggerating. 

 

And Sungmin thinks back on the last question which Kyuhyun had asked. He still loves Siwon, Sungmin convinces himself. How could he let go of his first and only love? It wouldn’t be right.

 

Sungmin then remembered that Siwon’s death anniversary would be approaching soon and he felt a little sadness gnaw at his heart.

 

Meanwhile Kyuhyun was wondering if he had been too blunt with Sungmin and was a little regretful at what he did.

 

Just then their glances met with one another and they quickly turned away as they felt a little awkward with one another.

 

“I think I should return to my room now,” Sungmin said softly as he downed the remaining champagne in his glass.

 

“It’s getting late. It’s probably time to rest. We do have a morning flight to catch. Anyway, the bottle’s almost empty,” Kyuhyun said.

 

Sungmin set the glass down on the table and stood up to leave as Kyuhyun escorted Sungmin to the door.

 

“Sungmin-ssi, I’m sorry if my words made you uncomfortable earlier. I didn’t mean for the mood to turn rather awkward.”

 

“It’s alright Kyuhyun-ssi. I’m fine. Yours word gave me something to think about. I have to thank you instead.”

 

Kyuhyun nodded as he opened the door. “Good night Sungmin-ssi. I’ll see you in the morning.”

 

“Good night Kyuhyun. Let’s do drinks another time when we’re back in Seoul.”

 

“Sure.”

 

Meanwhile Donghae was walking towards Kyuhyun’s room as he wanted to speak with him when he spotted Sungmin coming out from there.

 

Donghae froze in his tracks as he fretted.

 

“This isn’t looking good. Are both of them getting closer?” he wondered to himself. “I have to do something before both of them get hurt when they realised that Siwon’s death was caused by Kyuhyun.”

 

There were so many thoughts going across his mind.

 

“Should I speak to Kyuhyun about what I know?”

 

“I don’t think I should.”

 

“What is drawing them closer together? Don’t tell me...”

 

And Donghae then made a mental note to do a check of sorts when he returned back to Seoul.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know I was supposed to update before the New Year but I failed...due to other commitments...meet-ups with friends and the such.

Anyhow, I would like to wish you my dear readers a Happy 2014. And that your lives and endeavours would be fruitful. 

2014 will hopefully be a year of difference for me. 

Thanks for sticking by me all this while. Meanwhile, please continue to comment on the story. 

 

My other fan fics

Heaven's Boys 

KyuMin: Almost a love story

KyuMin: 60 Days 

It's You (너라고) Neorago (a YeWook fan-fic)